Other Insurance Companies:

Pros

Cons

• Customer Service:
    • Available Plans:
    • I received a sample (14), I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand (7)

So much more than insurance!

Many people think of USAA as just an insurance company but they offer so much more. USAA offers reward-based credit cards, banking services, insurance, car financing, and investments! They are truly a one-stop shop for all of your financial/insurance needs. The USAA staff is always highly professional and very dilligent about getting back to their members. We have used USAA for car insurance, banking and home insurance and USAA has been excellent in all cases. They also offer reasonable rates and hassle free services. Since USAA has limited brick and mortar outlets, they have very good online tools. In addition, they provide you monthly reimbursements for ATM withdrawls since you don't have a choice but to use others kiosks. One of my favorite things about USAA is that you can very easily redeem miles for points online. They have consistently won awards for being the best on the web as well as the best customer service offering to model after. I believe that in order to use USAA you must have a military connection in your family. You should check out the USAA site to see if you can qualify. You won't be disappointed.

In May of 2005, while waiting at a stop-light, I was rear-ended

In May of 2005, while waiting at a stop-light, I was rear-ended by an intoxicated man. Not only was he arrested for drunk driving, but a police officer witnessed the accident.The driver's insurance paid immediately. The ironic part of this is, MY insurance isn't so willing. Let me give a little background to make this clearer.Several years ago, while on my way to work, I was involved in a four-car accident; I was the front car. Through the process of dealings with insurance companies, I learned what was needed/not needed to get the claim settled. After that accident finalized, I increased my PIP (personal injury protection) and UIM (under-insured motorist) to assure that, in the future, everything would be covered.While serving in the military in 1997, I hurt my back. I had some bulging discs (the largest at 3 mm). In April of 2005, I had another MRI done that showed the discs still at 3 mm.Now, less than a month after being hit by the drunk driver, I was administered another MRI since the pain had gotten unbelievably worse and was having problems controlling my bladder (I was only 32). This time, the discs (five of them) were at 7 mm! What else could have caused this huge jump? It's so bad now, my nine year old daughter has to help me get dressed each day. Since the drunk driver only had the mininum insurance ($20,000), all of my medical costs aren't even closed to being covered. Surgery is a definite must.So now, I made a claim against my UIM (which is $75,000) last year since I can't afford surgery on my own (I'm not allowed to work and have no health insurance). It has been eighteen months and I'm still waiting. USAA asked for the most ridiculous documents, several times! At one point, they asked for my military commendations. Why? What difference does it make what medals I received in the military eight years prior?My attorney stated that he had never seen an insurance company ask for such meaningless paperwork before; he was dumbfounded. Now, we are forced to sue for the very thing I pay to use. In the meantime, I'm forced to pay for my own medication and doctor's appointments until USAA settles with us.Here's the odd part. If anyone can figure it out, please tell me. At the end of 2005, USAA told my lawyer they were giving me no UIM and closing the case. All of the sudden, a month later, a different person from USAA calls and says they are re-opening the case. Now that it's reopened, BECAUSE OF THEM, why are they stalling and making excuses? I don't get it.We pay premiums so that, if, god forbid, an accident occurs, we have peace of mind knowing we are covered. But, the moment it happens, they run for the hills and make us feel like we're asking the ridiculous. I don't know what to do anymore except sit and wait for USAA to do what's obvious and pay. I guess that's just a pipe dream.

WORST BANK I HAVE EVER HAD!

from TEXAS

Comments about USAA Insurance:

WHEN YOU WITHDRAW YOUR OWN MONEY THEY ASK WHY AND WHAT YOUR USING IT FOR.IT IS NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS. WHEN YOU USE MOBILE DEPOSIT ITS RANDOM THAT A PORTION OF YOUR CHECK WILL BE ON HOLD FOR 10 DAYS OR MORE AND I'VE USED MOBILE DEPOSIT SINCE THEY STARTED IT MANY YEARS AGO AND THIS IS NEW. I DEPOSITED A CHECK AT 9 PM CENTRAL TIME AND THE CUT OFF IS 10 PM CENTRAL TIME AND IT SAYS WHEN YOU DEPOSIT A CHECK THE FUNDS ARE IMMEDIATLY AVAILABLE, WELL THE NEXT DAY MY BILL CAME IN AND THEY RETURNED IT BECAUSE THEY DID NOT MAKE MY CHECK EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY LIKE IT SAID AND I WAS CHARGED A 29$ RETURN FEE. THIS HAPPENED 3 TIMES THEN I FINALLY CALLED THEM WHEN I HAD A CHANCE AND SHE SAID WELL I CAN RETURN THE 29$ FEE AND I'M NOT SURE WHY THAT HAPPENED YOU MET THE CUT OFF TIME. THEY WILL CHARGE YOU FOR EVERYTHING AND YOU HAVE TO FIGHT TO GET IT BACK. ITS WRONG AND THEY KNOW IT. WHY WOULD YOU USE THIS BANK?!

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

No saving here even for disabled veterans

from Macomb township MI

Comments about USAA Insurance:

No ssving here USAA could care less if your a Veteran or in my case a disabled veteran. Shop around and get Veteran discount on auto insurance like I did.
USAA give no Veteran discounts or any advantage over any other insurance company I even found Veteran discounts plus higher coverage limits with accident forgiveness for a lot less.

3 decade long member treated like dirt

from Cape Cod MA

Comments about USAA Insurance:

Ahh. USAA the self appointed vanguard of customer service. If only they provided the level of service they self congratulate them selves on.
I became a member in 1986 - that's right over 30 years ago. I have filed for an at fault claim exactly ZERO times in that 3 decades. I have had numerous auto loans, home mortgages, investment products, life insurance and credit cards during this time frame.
We had some issues with our last mortgage with USAA - our closing attorney begged us to use another finance company due to his experience of very poor responsiveness on the part of USAA but as we had no issues in the past, we elected to move forward. Bad mistake but USAA after numerous calls and emails finally apologized for their actions.
Fast forward to 26JAN17 when my wife was hit head on by an unlicensed driver sustaining severe injuries. USAA initially responded well and promptly. However, the car was totaled and the appraisal done by USAA lackey company came in well under NADA values. I naturally protested and was told to provide VIN's of 5 other vehicles which I promptly did. USAA response - doesn't change the appraisal. Now over 7 weeks later, I still haven't gotten a logical answer. More infuriating is the canned responses and now even after I personally snail mailed 7 executives including the reclusive Stuart Parker CEO, I still haven't gotten an answer nor an explanation as to why a 3 decade long member has been treated in this manner.
I am voting with my feet and have cancelled my USAA credit card, all my auto policies, my umbrella and rider policies as well as termination of any and all USAA products possible. Please be aware the USAA is decidedly not the company it used to be and any customer should shop your policies as well. My "reward" for this reprehensible treatment was a $512 savings on a new auto policies with State Farm. I wholeheartedly advise all current USAA members to do the same.

I joined USAA in 1967

from Merritt Island, Florida

Comments about USAA Insurance:

Since first insuring my Corvette in 1967, USAA has insured my vehicles, my home, and for more than 10 years, I have banked with USAA Federal Savings Bank. After 50 years, I can safely say I am a very satisfied customer for life. Thanks USAA

Terrible at paying claims

from Steamboat Springs, CO

Comments about USAA Insurance:

I was in an auto accident, USAA has done everything humanly possible to avoid paying my medical bills. So many excuses, drowning me in paperwork, asking for more information when I have already given them everything. I honestly don't know how these people sleep at night. They tried to give me a check for $800 for what turned out to be $1,800 worth of damage to my car. They will stick it to you any way they can.

getting health insurance , quote

from Oakdale ca

Comments about USAA Insurance:

I just called USAA to get a health insurance medical quote for myself on Major Medical and the procedures that they have to go through are absolutely insane suffice to say I hung up on two different people because it was absolutely ridiculous and they told me that I did not verify my kids is birthdays and dates properly so they could not help me well I know my two boys birth dates day month and year how old they are I verified my vehicle information my social security information other vehicles on my policy the fact that I got home owners insurance through them I mean the only thing I didn't tell him that I'm missing my front teeth because I fell down I'm like and they won't stop they told me I can't verify to get medical insurance to talk to them about a quote because I couldn't verify enough information I spent 20 minutes on the phone for them trying to verify It was already in front of their face on the computer screen and they couldn't turn around and just give me a freaking quote on medical insurance USAA really sickens me and they need to change the way they do things if I call up any company any company to check for a quote on medical insurance Kaiser or Blue Cross it doesn't matter they don't ask you any of this stuff still ask your age your personal information that's it USAA you are ridiculous you are terrible absolutely absurd at the way you guys verify information just to get a freaking medical quote you make me want to cancel everything with you guys go somewhere else I mean that's why I don't call in and I don't use the freaking online because you can't turn around and use it without calling up and getting assistance USA is the world's worst Insurance when it comes to talking to the customer service you need to reform how you do things I shouldn't have to be speaking for 20 or more minutes just to verify who I am my social security number my name n the vehicle that I drive... what does my vehicle have to do with health insurance I'm sick of USAA

USAA Doesn't want to settle claims.

from Oklahoma

Comments about USAA Insurance:

I have been a USAA member for 50 years. Twice now they have shorted me on claims. The current claim they don't even want to settle even though I paid insurance on my car for the 13 years I've owned it. All premium payments went to USAA. They are spending way too much money on advertising and trying to make themselves look good so they can add more members while totally neglecting their current members. My car was totaled and the only reasonable comps I could find were $900 more than what USAA wants to settle for. I even talked to a manager after I posted several messages on their web site and she refused to budge as well. Never has anyone contacted me and told me what steps I need to take to get the paltry sum they've offered. I guess they love to collect premiums so they can spend hundreds of millions of dollars advertising but they refuse to pay a $5,000 claim.

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

Do not use this dopant

from California

Comments about USAA Insurance:

This is by far the worst insurance company . It's mostly 3rd party . The customer service is so so . . And your " tenure" yea that doesn't matter . They say the rules apply to everyone . My rates went up and nobody can tell me why . .the "supervisors " are a joke . . I got tired of it and left . They said . Once a member always a member ,you can come back . Is never go back .i don't recommend them at all.

A pain to deal with

from Saint Johns, FL

Comments about USAA Insurance:

I was hit by a driver insured through USAA on 7/24. He was cited for careless driving & found at fault in the police report. I filed the claim through his insurance. I was assigned an adjuster, Veronica Malfer. Besides the initial call I made to her on 7/25 to give my statement, I have not spoken with her. I've called well over 40 times and received her voicemail each time. She does not answer my calls nor does she call back regarding voicemails I have left. I called USAA's 800 number hoping to be connected with someone who would take care of my claim. The woman I spoke to was rude from the start & told me to press 0 when I got Ms. Malfer's voicemail. Upon getting her voicemail (no surprise there) I pressed 0 and was connected to Ms. Thomas. I expressed my frustration about not being able to get in contact with Ms. Malfer and Ms. Thomas told me that Ms. Malfer was not ignoring my phone calls she was simply busy with a special project. I then told Ms. Thomas that I understand if Ms. Malfer has other things to do, but that I needed to be assigned a different adjuster who would be able to take care of my claim. She said that's "not how it works" and if I get Ms. Malfer's voicemail again, I press zero and a random person on her team would answer and help me. Ms. Thomas was the "random person" that answered my phone call in this instance, however, when I asked about the status of my claim, she said that they were waiting on my adjuster, Veronica Malfer, to get in contact with my insurance. So I'm supposed to continue to wait on Ms. Malfer to do her job. The job she has been neglecting for over two weeks. The only option I was given for a rental car is to pay myself and save the receipts to be reimbursed. I can't afford to pay out of pocket until USAA decides to get their act together. I have spoken with several USAA employees and none of them have provided even the smallest amount of customer service. I will NEVER use USAA and will make sure my family and friends know.

USAA Member since 2011, and still loving it!

from Louisville, KY

Comments about USAA Insurance:

I have been using USAA for 5+ years now. I've dealt with their claims department when we had a case of theft and when we were rear ended. I cannot say enough good things about them. Their claims department has always been very fast, courteous and VERY helpful.

Twice I locked my keys in my car, and both times they sent someone to my location, within 15 minutes when I was in a decent-sized (buy by no means large) town. What really impressed me was when I had someone else lock my keys in my car and all the local companies told me when I called them it would be over 4 hours because I was in a rural area, I called USAA and they had someone there in less than an hour. I don't know what kind of voodoo magic they use, but I definitely wasn't unhappy with it, that's for sure.

When we had the case of theft at our house, the USAA representatives were not just helpful, they were sensitive to our ordeal (our home had been ransacked and it was very upsetting to say the least) but their claims rep went above and beyond the call of duty to be helpful in getting everything repaired, having us reimbursed for the content of a safe that was stolen and then everything set back to the the way it was before the breaking and entering.

USAA also has a mobile app for reporting claims - it is amazing and so incredibly convenient. The time my truck got rear-ended, I was standing there and before the officer had gotten there to make the report, I already had a claim filed, the documenting pictures sent to USAA and a claim was already being processed. I had barely made it back in the house (the vehicle was parked in front of our home when it was hit-- brilliant neighbors!) when my cell rang, a representative from the automobile claims department was already in touch. They were that fast, which pretty much blew my mind.