3.5
Other Insurance Companies:
Car Insurance Companies, Home Insurance Companies, Life Insurance Companies
Progressive

Don't like this insurance company

I have never used this company as my insurance company but have dealt with them through an accident one of their insurance people caused and let me tell you the girl we talked to was hateful and rude and downright had a nasty attitude. They definitely turned me off to even considering having them as my insurance company!

Cincinnati, OH

false

Initial good experience ruined by swindling

I had Progressive for years & was very happy with them initially. To their credit, they were always very easy to deal with & even told me, without my having to ask or push for it, that I was not at fault when my car was damaged in a construction zone, so I didn't have to pay anything. Later, though, things started going downhill with them. First, I put up with their annoying driving monitor plugged into my car, beeping at me every time I braked "hard" (& it really didn't take much), which in the end made me a less safe driver because I started preferring to go through intersections when I'd typically stop at them (light just about to turn red or even just turned red) just to keep it from registering a hard brake. It was also collecting much more information than just braking, which wasn't disclosed (it may have been in the fine print, but I digress). Anyways, despite taking extreme efforts to minimize "hard" brakes & dealing with the annoying beeping for months, I was told simply that I didn't qualify for any discounts from it. That annoyed me, & made me wonder if it was more about just collecting data than assessing driving habits for possible discounts--I say this not only due to my experiences, but reading similar statements by many others online at the time--but it wasn't enough to drive me away. What did that was when my car was backed into, while parked, without me even in it, by a family member. I called Progressive & notified them of it (big mistake), but then told them to cancel the claim because the other insurance company was going to cover both cars. Despite the fact Progressive never paid a single cent toward repairs, & I wasn't even in the car at the time, they took away my good driver discount. Unfortunately, I didn't notice for months, so it ended up costing quite a bit of money. And they refused to do anything about it. So I switched & will never go back. They lost a several year customer over something that frankly should be (& maybe is) illegal.

MI

false

Very pleased with insurance rates

I have been very pleased with the rates and service I have received with this company!

Indiana

true

I will never go to another company

I have been a customer for over a year. The app is so easy and straightforward. I saved money on choosing automatic payments but I can go right to the app and change the payment date up to two weeks from the original date. When I have spoke to their customer service department they were friendly and knowledgeable.

Vermont

true

they are a hit & miss company

i have had them for 12yrs. i have full coverage, & $500 deductible, my rate A MONTH is $360, give or take depending on the time of the yr. that's for a 2010 sports car & a 2012 pickup truck, & coverage up to $100,000. in 12yrs my rate has NEVER gone down, with all the fees, taxes, & whatever else they add, even after turning 25 & now 30 no change. im on the last tear of their "rewards" program & the benefits are not noticeable. 11yrs ago i totaled my vehicle, i only had liability at that time, but all my medical bills where paid. the woman who handled my claim, was kind, informative, & kept me up to date on everything, even breaking it down for me, helping me understand what was being paid for. now 12yrs later, no wrecks, no tickets, a perfect driving record! im at the supermarket with my sports car, while walking to the car we noticed a VERY large hand sized dent & scratch marks from the bottom of the passenger window to the bottom of the door. someone had swung their door open (it was very windy that day) & hit my car with force. i put in a clam, they called me right away, & told me i had accident forgiveness so this would be forgiven, confused i asked why i needed to be forgiven for something i didn't do, they could not clearly give me a answer as to why. after sending pictures & video, i heard nothing for weeks, then suddenly i get a email with my clam options. total cost was $645, so i paid 500, they paid 145. i was so upset, i pay them 300+ a month for them to only pay 145 of my 1st claim in 12yrs. i felt like i pay all this money, have a great driving record & now i have to pay more out of pocket then they do. they also informed me i would not receive a rental & the nerist shop was 30+ mins away, & i would be without a car for weeks. this was not a option i have 3 school aged children, a car is needed. i felt like my loyalty to them after 12yrs didn't mean anything. only reason i have not switched is because i would have to start all over with another company

OK

false

I have progressive they saved me a ton of money! easy claims when I hit a deer. it was hassle free

illinois

I've used it for years

I use progressive for my car insurance and they have always been very flexible with me and understanding. I have used them for 4 years now and I'm still with them. Their price isn't over the top either!

Williamston, Michigan

true

Nightmare to settle a claim with

My claim had error after error in their favor which took one day short of 3 months to resolve. I was told repeatedly that an agent would get ahold of me for different issues and then a week or two would go by. Angelique out of office for a week around thanksgiving, Corey get new job internally and stops asnwering my calls or returning voice mails, Angelique is supposed to contact matt about dropping the third comp and after 2 weeks go by instead calls me on Christmas Eve to say how fair it was. What person or company treats its customers like that after 10 years. 1. They used 90,000 as cars mileage. Actual mileage was 79,000. No attempt was made to get actual mileage, no call made to me. 2. They admittedly skipped doing the quality assessment on car. 3. Denied every comp I sent in saying they were too far away. Their comps (cars they use to establish the value of your car) were two that were nearly 300 miles south of me in Utahs southern desert around Moab. 4. Used a comp from a no haggle car lot, then haggled $1000 off the price it actually sold for. That comp had all its GT badging removed and giant plastic skull and crossbones glued in their place. Inside where my DVD player had been, was another giant plastic one. Despite that, they felt at nearly 110,000 miles it was a fair reperesentation of the average mustang GT on the market. On day 77 (I knew this because their agent had the nerve to bring up how long this case was taking and mention it had been 77 days. Nearly 3 months I had spent trying to get them to do what they should have done day one, Their job!) I had to threaten to get a lawyer in order for them to actually use the price the car sold for instead of their made up price 1000 dollars lower. My 2 appraisers (one of which works mostly with insurance companies like State Farm) said 20-25k, and other said 18k. Theirs that they would have used said 7400. Just to let you know how far from fair that is, the totaled car sold for nearly that.

Ogden, Utah

Great Experience

Had an accident and progressive took care of everything. Our car was totalled and pick up a check less than a week everyone was very friendly

Dayton, Ohio

Not Very Customer Friendly or Convenient

I was in an accident with a Progressive customer, whom was at fault, and ended up having to call Progressive and make a claim b/c the other party did not do so after two days. Progressive took weeks to get my car fixed. Apparently, I was being held up for a week waiting on them to get in contact with their customer, but then they NEVER called me back to let me know whether they talked to her or what was going on. I had to call them again, which the adjustor never answers, but his voicemail says he will call back same day. He didn't and when he did call, it was simply to say that now he was waiting to hear back from a supervisor about some paperwork getting approved. Eventually, after a couple of weeks I got my car fixed, but the conversation with the adjustor was very unusual. I was told I HAD to take it to who they wanted in order to get paid an estimate. My family and friends were in disbelief that I couldn't take it to where I wanted, but I was told it was a waste of time b/c they wouldn't pay whatever the estimate was anyway unless I took it to the only place that was local to me who they worked with or take it out of the city. He did not want to work with my work schedule and let me take it in Friday morning b/c he said it would just sit at the place over the weekend and not be worked on, so I had to bring it in midweek the next week b/c that would be the next time I would be free to do so. I felt like I was inconveniencing Progressive when I was the one who had a damaged car to no fault of my own.

Tennessee