3.5

Pros

Cons

• Customer Service:
    • Available Plans:
    • I received a sample (24), I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand (5)

progressive is my pick

you never really know how good (or how bad) your insurance is until you need it. you know what they CLAIM to be, but not what they really are. i have been a customer of progressive insurance for about four years and have not needed to file a claim. i was always pleased with them because they save me about three hundred dollars a year from my previous insurance company, but then came the true test of how good the company comes through when you need them. i was driving down the road and a deer jumped on top of my car. yes, that is what i said. it jumped ON TOP of my car. after calling progressive about my unusual claim, they brought a rental car to my house that same day. my car was totaled. what came next was what i expected to be a long drawn out process of collecting on my car. progressive called me on the third day after my wreck and told me they had a check for me for the total payment for my car. i was shocked and progressive has a lifelong customer.

nasty rude personal!!!

i have never used this company for insurance but have had to deal with them over an accident caused by one of their clients...

a young man insured by progressive fell...Read complete review

a young man insured by progressive fell asleep at the wheel, ran off the road, hitting several things in our yard including our boat...

when we contacted progressive they sent out an appraiser 5 days later (he brought his wife and child with him as he was on his way to the lake and just stopped by to do a quick write up!!)

He gave an outrageously LOW appraisal for the repair of our boat hull and motor...insisting on us using used parts for the repair of the motor that he could get from a "buddy" of his

on our own we got 3 different appraisals and no one would repair the boat without sending it back to the factory to repair the hull (for liability reasons they said).. progressive refused to approve this and offered $2500 for a settlement.

after we refused this it took several weeks to get the agent handling our claim back on the phone.. she was extremely rude and informed us she would not sign off on our claim until after her vacation. (which ended up being 2 weeks)

it took 4 months and a letter from our lawyer to settle the claim

never will i use or recommend this company to anyone.. not even my worst enemy!!!

Best Rates, Great Service

from Dallas, TX

Comments about Progressive:

I've been with Progressive for my car insurance over four years and have had the best experience. They offer so many discounts that make their rates the most competitive around. I've never had to file a claim due an automobile accident, but last year, my car was totaled by a local hail storm. The process was so much less painful that I anticipated.
Filing the claim was easy to do online. I chatted with several customer service representatives who were so helpful when answering my many questions. They were patient, professional and sympathetic.
One of the most memorable moments was when the adjuster handed me a check for the value of my carseats right there on the spot. They were filled with tiny pieces of glass from the hail. This felt like one of the most caring gestures in that moment.
Once my car was declared totaled, it was hauled away, and I was given a check to help purchase a different car. Since my original was a lease, I wasn't sure that I would receive any money. Progressive worked hard to ensure that I got what I had put into the car back to get my started on my search for another car.
The entire process was smooth and refreshing.

Was not impressed with Progressive

from Virginia

Comments about Progressive:

My husband and I had progressive insurance for a number of years. Everything seemed to be fine until we had an accident with my husband's truck. A piece of machinery ran into his truck and did quite a bit of damage, nearly totaling it. We had a very hard time getting an answer whether they were going to force us to total it or not. We wanted to get it repaired because we could not find a comparable truck for him. We had a very difficult time with Progressive. We finally did get them to agree to let us have the truck fixed instead of totaled. They also gave us a hard time on where we were to get the work done at. There were a couple of approved service providers in our area and they wanted us to get a quote from both. We did and we wanted the dealer to do the work and they wanted the other company to do the work. It was supposed to be our choice but they gave us a hard time. Bottom line is I would not trust Progressive to be easy to work with in the future. We changed insurance providers.

Progressive insurance sucks

from washington state

Comments about Progressive:

if no stars were an option, I would give progressive insurance no stars. We recently had a boating accident and progressive failed to interview the riders in the boat. Denied the claim stating it was lack of maintenance on a part that, according to the shop, does not require maintenance. I have no words that accurately describe my poor opinion of progressive insurance. I would never be a customer of progressive insurance.

Loyal customer

from Saranac lake

Comments about Progressive:

When i first got my first car i searched through so many insurance companies and got sooo many different quotes. I wanted something affordable yet again reliable. I went through a few beater cars and had low insurance of course because i didnt car about rhe car and got no coverage. Then i financed a nice jeep and was concerned about my insurance being crazy expensive. I got full coverage , road side assistance and discounts through this company. And my insurance is so affordable . I have been with the agency for a few years and i love that my insurance thanks me for being a great driver and lowers my insurance after ecah premium is paid. Thanks for being great progressive. Plan to stick with you for awhile !

Stay Away ....Flakey Business Procedures

from Michigan

Comments about Progressive:

I was a customer between June 2014 and June of 2017. All was well until 6/17 renewal whereupon I was handed a "GRATUITOUS" rate increase without advisement of same.
Upon inquiring I was given nothing but an excremental explanation, considering I have not had any sort of moving violation on my record in 15 years, and, have not made any insurance claims at all since I have not been involved in any sort of accident since 1996. And oh by the way the premiums have been paid through auto-debit reliably each and every month.

Speaking of the auto-debit however, these clowns have never once I think actually taken their payment on the day prescribed, but rather let it languish for 2, 3, 4, sometimes 5 days before actually withdrawing their money......

After doing some shopping around I found a State Farm Policy equal to the Progressive policy in its coverage and limits, for $41.00 less per month than the Progressive policy before the "GRATUITOUS" increase.

The renewal/billing date for the Progressive policy was the 14th of the month. On the 15th of the month I purchased the Sate Farm policy, and as usua,l Progressive had not yet withdrawn their money. I cancelled the Progressive policy on that day and was told that they would not return my money for 12 days.

When explained to them that they had not withdrawn the money yet and that they simply needed to cancel the policy, I was told that that did not matter.

Following the cancellation phone call I later that afternoon checked my bank account and found that low and behold..... they took the money after the policy had been cancelled. And not just the prorated amount of $3.00 due them for 1 day's worth of coverage either.... No.... they took the whole amount with the increase! Now 13 days later, of course no refund has been restored to by bank account, and I am told that they only started processing my refund 2 days ago and that it usually takes 15 days from there........ What a horrible bunch of JUNK SCAMMERS!!!!!!

Do not purchase any insurance from Progessive

from Sacramento, CA

Comments about Progressive:

Customer service was poor and didn't make clear communication with me. I decided to cancel the policy because they don't accept the riding-sharing work (Lyft and Uber) to cover my policy in California. I requested to cancel the policy and refund the money. They NEVER ask me what do I want to have refund money on the check, credit card, or something. They sent the refund money to the credit card that I used (the credit card is gift card) without let me know. I was confused and call the customer service. They were poorly to handle the problem and want not to solve the gift card situation then force me to contact the gift card to solve the problem. I am so disappointed with Progressive how they did handle this situation. I strongly recommend looking another insurance NOT Progressive!!!!

The Worst Company Ever

from boston ma

Comments about Progressive:

They never stop to ask more and more money .My fault it was that i pay full in the beginning and after 2 months start asking more and more , even now that i cancel

Progressive Insurance is a con

from Kalamazoo, Michigan

Comments about Progressive:

I paid out for full coverage for a lot of years and just recently was in a car accident. According to them their is accident forgiveness for clients that have been with them for a certain amount of years. My next bill should have stayed the same it did not they raised it. Their policies are lies they do not honor them.

Do not expect Rental Car if your vehicle is totaled

from Austin, Tx

Comments about Progressive:

Do not expect a rental car if your vehicle is totaled. Most all insurance companies offer you a rent car as a courtesy. How are you supose to get to WORK? Would never use them again.

Good Coverage - Better Costs

from Boston, MA

Comments about Progressive:

After being with Geico for a considerable amount of time, I moved to Progressive for better rates, better coverage. They offered better deal. So far the customer care has been prompt and they have adjusted my requests on a couple of occassions.