3.4

3.4

Pros

Cons

No big complaints here!

My family and I have been covered under CIGNA insurance for over 5 years. It's our only option through work, but I have been pleased with it overall nonetheless. CIGNA administers our health and dental insurance, and for a period of time (but no longer) our flexible spending account also. Through the time we have been insured by CIGNA, I have experienced the claim process many times. I have never found CIGNA to have made an error in processing claims and only once did I disagree with their coverage. The appeals process was simple.

My biggest problem with CIGNA is their website. I rely on their website to track my claims and balances, but frequently feel that clicking around their website sends me in circles. It is difficult to find the right links for reimbursement forms and FSA balance. However, CIGNA’s phone lines are manned 24/7 by a person who readily speaks and understands English and so calling has never been a frustration. I’ve always been very pleased with my experiences with customer service, which is more than I can say for most companies.

All-in-all, I have been content to have CIGNA as my insurance provider and have had no major issues. If they would make their website more user-friendly, I’d give them 5 stars.

Customer Service
It's easy to talk to a person who actually speaks and understands English!

Available Plans
I have not shopped around for plans, but feel the plans offered through my employer are good.

It is what it is, company offered insurance.

Cigna is decent, not bad and not good. When I had my son we were charged for out of network anesthesiology without being informed before the services were renderd. The hospital and doctor were in network, but the anesthesia was not, even though it was on site at the hospital. This resulted in a high bill that we are still contesting to this day, and the insurance company is not willing to help us with our case. We pay $500 a month for our half of the family plan, and my husband's company covers the other $800. That is a ridiculously high amount! We pay $20 for office visits, and then pay lab fees and fees for shots on top of that. Cigna customer service is marginal, and the reps are not very friendly and are also not very informed. We don't use our healthy insurance that often. We are a healthy family and we treat all minor ailments at home. It would be wonderful if we had the option of only have catastrophic coverage, as that would be a more reasonable option for our family. I preferred Aetna over Cigna, but my husband's employer uses Cigna, and paying for our own private insurance would cost more than paying through his employer. Either way, private insurance costs are absurd and something should be done about it. No one should profit from the illness of others.

Very happy and fuller pockets

Comments about CIGNA:

I have the high deductible plan through my employer and I absolutely love it. I am lucky enough that my employer pays for most of the deductible so the most that ever comes out of my pocket per year is $300. I pay a measly $35 a month out of my paycheck for pretty much full coverage. This plan does not cover prescriptions, but fortunately birth control pills are somehow fully covered. I go to the doctor at a pretty normal rate, I have a yearly checkup, blood tests every 6 months to monitor cholesterol and sugar, and I go to urgent care whenever I am sick, and i haven't even maxed out my deductible yet. The website is WONDERFUL. It makes it easy to find a doctor (basically every doctor and hospital in my area takes Cigna) and they have a lot of helpful links and programs from quitting smoking to managing sleep to combating weight gain. I've had a lot of doctors try to overcharge me but when I get the explanation of benefits Cigna puts them in their place and I wind up not paying for anything. I've called their help line for questions with explanation of benefits and their reps are very friendly, helpful and knowledgeable.

• Available Plans:

Cigna Insurance has health plans to meet all your needs.

Comments about CIGNA:

Cigna Insurance is a nationally and internationally known company for their medical health insurance plans. Years ago my husband and I had Cigna Medical Insurance through his employer and when my husband was diagnosed with a long lengthy illness, Cigna provided us with much needed peace of mind about his medical coverage. They always answered our questions in ways we could easily understand and we didn't have to worry about being overwhelmed with medical bills. Now days you can visit online the Cigna Insurance website and find all the information you need about a health plan you might already have or a plan that you want to obtain. Cigna has individual, family and even Medicare plans to fit your every need. There is even a section where you can get current information about medical test, medications and a variety of health and wellness topics. If you like to use your cell phone to get information you can download "The Mycigna Mobile" app. If you need an experienced Insurance Company then call or go online and get a quote from Cigna Insurance today.

Not Spectacular, but Solid

from Hartford, CT

Comments about CIGNA:

I had CIGNA insurance for several years through a previous job. They were quite good the entire time that I had them.

The plans were expensive, but no more than their competitors. My co-pays were reasonable.

All claims were paid in a timely manner, directly to the provider. I only had one instance where I had to fight them over a claim and that was for an ambulance transport to the hospital where I was admitted. They did not pay the ambulance bill on the first time through and I had to call and discuss the situation with them and it was resolved immediately and the ambulance bill was paid in full.

Their dental insurance was very good and paid for many necessary procedures with either no or a minimal co-pay. Again, everything was paid quickly and directly to the provider.

I wouldn't say that CIGNA is spectacular, but they are comparable to most other large insurance companies and I never had any problems with them.

My plan is good

Comments about CIGNA:

I give Cigna a high rating because I'm happy with the plan that work provided for me. I have a low deductible and a low out-of-pocket maximum. It's rare to find a doctor that is not in-network, and the only problems I have are when I try to deal with their customer service.

Customer Service
Many of Cigna's customer service representatives are uninformed and have a difficult time understanding. When I got pregnant, I called three different times to find out the rules for childbirth and under whose name the claims would be filed. I was given the same answer all three times. Months after the birth, I began to receive bills under the other name. When I called Cigna, a fourth person told me that all three had been wrong before and there was nothing I could do about it.

Similar things have happened on several occasions; some of their staff is informative, but several times I've had to call back to get to speak to someone different because the agent does not know what they are talking about or how to answer my questions.

Available Plans
Work only provided two options: low premium or low deductible.

one of my favorites

Comments about CIGNA:

I don't like insurance companies. I don't think that they are for the customer or the doctors. That being said I think this one is my top favorite health insurance companies. I have had them twice in my life; once when I was a minor and once in the last few years. This company offers the best insurance for the best price. I have never had to worry about what I need done or which doctor I see while I have this insurance. They are higher in price but you get what you pay for. Higher price for a better quality insurance.

Customer Service
I have never really had a need to deal with this company myself. I have never had a problem with them that has made me have to call them.

Available Plans
Their options are few and all are costly. The only thing with costly prices is the quality is better. I have never had to worry about which doctor I saw because they offer so many choices. They also have a plan that you can see doctors outside their group.

The Reason Lawyers Were Invented

Comments about CIGNA:

After being insured for 12 years... I ended up having to take them to court to get my long term disability. I was awarded SS Disability before I decided to sue to get my benefit that I paid for year after year after year after year. Disgusting customer service reps play on words. Unable to work but not disabled to work. Disgusted by this company.

Customer Service
They are the most uncaring, vial, rude individuals that I ever had the misfortune of speaking with.

Available Plans
Oh, they offer plans... they won't pay you, but they'll take your premiums with no problem.

• Available Plans:

Cigna Insurance is decent.

from San Diego, CA

Comments about CIGNA:

Cigna Insurance seems to be a decent company. I have not researched other companies, since this is the only one offered by my husband's employer. However, we have been satisfied with Cigna for the last twelve years. I have had four children under Cigna and the coverage was great for all of them. All of the pre and post natal visits were covered completely. The network of doctors they offer are great. We love our doctors! Their network of doctors and treatment facilities are extensive. All of our doctors are very close to home. Another plus is that their website is straightforward and easy to use. The only complaint I have is with their automated telephone system. It's pretty slow, but once you reach a customer service representative, it gets much better! Their service representatives are friendly and very helpful. One other gripe is that their statements can be confusing, but again, a phone call clears that up. But a straightforward statement would be night. Overall, a good company with good doctors!

• Available Plans:

Cigna paid claims really fast

from Amherst, MA

Comments about CIGNA:

We have had many different dental insurance companies through the years and mostly they have all been pretty decent in terms of staying exactly within the rules of what the company providing the insurance has signed up for. If they don’t cover the cost of plastic fillings it isn’t the insurance company’s fault it is what our employer said that they would pay for when they bought the plan. The more money the employer pays the more generous the dental plan. So when my previous Cigna insurance wouldn’t pay for regular fluoride treatments when the kids are over eighteen it isn’t really something to complain to Cigna Dental about but rather I needed to complain to my employer about it because that is the wimpy plan that they bought. (It is a pain though, and the bigger the company, the harder it is to find someone to complain to that can actually do something. Even HR these days seems to have no local power. Who is in charge anyhow? ) I did find that Cigna Dental was responsive to my claims and did pay in a very timely fashion to my dentist. As to the usual and customary charges that they were willing to pay when I went out of network, I don’t really know how good they are, it is a tough thing to compare unless both me and my spouse had different dental insurance companies which we didn't but I would love to have that to compare.

Available Plans
No choice in plans from our employer!

Not good

Comments about CIGNA:

I am stuck with Cigna because it is the only plan offered by my husband's job. I feel like they nickel and dime the heck out of you. I have had a lot of claims initially denied and only covered after I call customer service, wait on hold for a long time and argue with the representative. The network of providers is also smaller than I am used to. I also had a ridiculously hard time getting them to cover a simple chain pharmacy flu shot. I had to go multiple times because they would not cover it despite talking to customer service. The deductibles are also higher than our last company yet we pay the same monthly premium. I do like their website because it is easily navigatable and you can view past and current claims. They do not offer very good discounts on wellness items like gym memberships. They also do not reach out to you to help lower your costs or be healthier.

• Available Plans:

Dont get them as your health insurance provider

from Arvada, CO

Comments about CIGNA:

Would never recommend them to anyone. Only out for the money and not for your well being.My husband and i were in a horrible car accident and cigna took the biggest chunk of change from the settlement even though the accident wasnt our fault and we met our deductable and everything else that was asked of us but they have a clause so we got screwed.

Customer Service
When calling about a question,dispute etc you will always get a different answer from each customer service rep you talk to and none of them will be right. And then they get nasty to you when you are confused and been told so many different things by other customer service reps that work for cigna.

Available Plans
They offer a couple different plans but deductibles are high and many thing are covered differently and not in the general category. Just be careful and read all the fine details that come with whatever plan you are looking at. They change little things in each section of their plans so just keep an eye out especially if you are picking the plan for a certain reason.