3.4

3.4

Pros

Cons

• Available Plans:
    • I received a sample (5), I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand (3)

So far so good!

To those that are in a tough spot with health care; blue cross has been an excellent provider for the cost.  My company recently switched from offering Kaiser, to only offering Blue Cross.  At first I thought this was horrible because my family had a good standing with the Kaiser doctors.  Initially I had been a bit wary of the change not knowing what to do.  Thankfully the Human Resources manager at my work, and the Insurance professional we deal with, was able to help me find a great program that suited the needs of my family.Because of their help, and ongoing services, my wife and I were able to find a wonderful pediatrician.  Their support has made me much more comfortable with having had to change insurance providers.  The only downside with this plan is the same with all health-care insurance nowadays; the cost is painful.  Comparatively speaking, the coverage options are far greater than most alternative insurance providers.  Considering the alternative of no coverage, I willingly pay the price for the peace of mind.

They're happy to take your money....

I usually try to be as positive as I can in writing these reviews so as to give people an accurate picture of a service or product. But I feel like to do so now might get in the way of me being completely honest. I have had around three diffirent health insurance carriers in my life, chosen on the basis of the kind of coverage I thought I needed and my desire to not pay monthly for something I never used. The most recent health insurance carrier is Blue Cross/Blue Shield and I have been less than pleased.

Though there is something to say for my wife and I wanting to move on with our lives (getting pregnant and what not) incurring extra insurance costs, I cannot shake the suspicion that insurance companies go out of their way to figure out the best ways to get paid by people for doing nothing. As a relatively healthy individual I have been able to secure the cheapest possible rates because of no pre-existing conditions. In a word, if you have a pre-existing condition that needs looking to, the insurance company will charge you more than you can afford, a high plan deductible before they will help, and will stack up a laundry list of limitations to the coverage that helps them in the event that they want to avoid helping you out with payments. I am not one of those people who think that having good health insurance that covers everything without any cost to you is an inalienable right, but I also do not appreciate having to pay a monthly premium for a (thus far) long life of good health habits and condition. What am I paying for, when the moment I have problems I am given the third-degree like a scolded child?

Nowhere has this been seen more clearly than with our maternity rider. You have to pay for at least 10 months of the rider before conceiving to receive any coverage under the policy at all. Once you DO reach the 10-months, if you get pregnant right away, you must continue to pay the rider each month AND the deductible as the insurance does what they can to make things difficult for you to receive the service you have been paying for. It's not right, and it's a rip off. I guess I just have one of those old-fashioned mindsets that believes that when I pay for something I should get an equal and fair return for my payment. Unfortunately, that does not allow the health insurance companies to turn a handsome profit. I really wish that people's goals were to live well instead of to live wealthy. Something about living well draws people together in relationship, while living wealthy gives the false impression of superiority and necessary class barriers.

But that's just my opinion...

Be warned......BCBS worst insurance provider in the USA

from Huntington Beach California

Comments about Blue Cross / Blue Shield:

Hope you never have a real emergency where you are half or completely unconscious and BCBS is your insurance provider. You might be sent into financial ruin after you leave the hospital and find out little to none of the services were covered by this company. Despicable!

THE WORST COMPANY IN THE WORLD

from New buffalo, MI

Comments about Blue Cross / Blue Shield:

Their customer service is absolutely terrible. 80% of the employees are either incompetent. Expect to call more than three times to get an issue resolved. The automated recording you get when you call is full of problems and takes considerable time to get where you need to go.
I canceled my service in October because I simply couldn't take their stupidity any longer. I was given a partial refund check for the previous month. 2 months later I get a bill from them, stating my coverage is active. I've spoken to 2 managers and the issue still has yet to be resolved. The company needs a complete overhaul from a better training program to a new automated system. Avoid Blue Cross Blue Shield at all costs. You will save a considerable amount of time and money by staying away from them.

The worst coustomer I've ever dealt with

from Kitty Hawk NC

Comments about Blue Cross / Blue Shield:

Called BC/BS of NC to check on my sons bill. Have been on hold for over 1 HOUR. Have talked to people that put me back on hold. This has got to be the WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE there is WILL CHANGING COMPANIES as soon as possible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

worst customer service in the world

from Pearland

Comments about Blue Cross / Blue Shield:

BCBSTX doesn't deserve 1 star. Worst customer service I have ever experienced. 2 1/2 hours on phone- disconnected twice and nothing accomplished. They act like they want to improve service with questionnaire afterwards- what a joke. Chat line doesn't work.
30 minute wait time with horrible MUZAK noise to boot. I am ready to jump out the window. .

The worst I've ever dealt with

from McDonough GA

Comments about Blue Cross / Blue Shield:

BCBS of GA is a total nightmare. It took me seven months of unending work to recover all of the money owed to me from last year because they improperly processed claims. They are at it again this year. I met my out-of-pocket maximum in early June, but as soon as additional money was deposited into my incentive account, they immediately started showing that I was responsible for paying providers again. I faxed them all of my receipts, which they never bothered to look at. Then they sent me the same list I sent them that clearly shows the out-of-pocket maximum was met. They are not even looking at their own records! Next year I am paying a lot more more money to go back to United Health Care. They weren't perfect, but they weren't nearly as incompetent as BCBSGA. Maybe BCBS is better in other states, but steer clear of them if you live in GA!

I LOVE Them

from Salisbury, PA

Comments about Blue Cross / Blue Shield:

I have been a BlueCross BlueShield insurance user for years and I absolutely LOVE them. Whenever I call in, wait times are short and 24/7 and I normally get a very friendly representative.

This company offers top of the line coverage and my insurance is accepted almost anywhere I go.

BlueCross Blueshield offers many different plans and the one my family is on includes all of my husband's lifesaving insulin supplies for no cost out of pocket, so our family saves thousands thanks to BlueCross.

Plus, when my children are sick and I have a question, BlueCross Blueshield offers me a 24 hour nurse hotline, which has been extremely helpful these last few years.

Overall, I think BlueCross Blueshield is a top of the line insurance company and I recommend them to anyone who is given the option to get them.

Blue Cross complete

Comments about Blue Cross / Blue Shield:

I have had nothing but problems from day 1! They are more worried about the little health care form they ship then the actual person.
As a diabetic, I was, prescribed Lantus. My doctor wanted me to have the pen as I have many other health issues but they will not cover the pen without prior authorization BUT they do cover the needles for the pens. They cover only 2 types of syringes but no one carries them as they are old and larger bore.
I have stenosis of the neck. C5 to C6 is 50% into my spinal cord. C6 to C7 is about 75% into my spinal cord. BCC will NOT cover the surgery as I have not seen a chiropractor and have not been through PT. No good chiropractor will touch my neck with it this bad and PT can do nothing for me and may hurt things more. Now I am waiting for them to deny my bypass surgery.

Customer Service
"Darren" can't go off script to save his life. I could barely understand him.

Multiple Calls to Resolve Claims

Comments about Blue Cross / Blue Shield:

Some claims flow through with no problem but I've had one provider that has required multiple calls to BCBS and the "local" (Georgia). Very frustrating.

Customer Service
Very nice and respectful. The problem is the communication between the people I talk to and the "local" they talk to.

I cannot stand Blue Cross

Comments about Blue Cross / Blue Shield:

I have had one of the worst experiences with insurance that anyone could ever have with bcbs! My husband and I had been trying to have a child for almost 5 years and switched to Blue Cross blue sheild to cover our prescription for Fertility drugs. We were under the impression by what the salesperson said that our new policy would cover the prescriptions that we always have had without a problem. We had to pay out-of-pocket for our prescriptions because they absolutely refused to pay for them. We ended up getting pregnant around six months after purchasing our Blue Cross insurance policy. Not only did the prescriptions not get covered on our policy, but neither did the doctors appointments for any of our prenatal care appointments and the actual delivery of our son. Now, eight months after our son has been born we are still receiving bills from doctors that never got paid by the insurance. We owe the hospital that I delivered in $28,000 because Blue Cross blue sheild never came through with the payment! If you have any wits about you, you will choose any other insurance besides Blue Cross.

Good Solid Reliable Health Insurance

from Garden City, MO

Comments about Blue Cross / Blue Shield:

I have had the pleasure of using Blue Cross and Blue Shield Health Care Insurance on a few different occasions. Twice now I have chosen them as a stand alone insurance not a work affiliated insurance. Both times they have offered several doctors in our area (my preferred one was allowed) and the local hospitals all took Blue Cross. Their rates are comparable to most of the insurance companies today. There isn't much difference in the cost to the plans as compared to other companies. Blue Cross does however excel in customer service and reliability. Their company is locally located which is a plus for me.

Customer Service
Blue Cross and Blue Shield has great customer service representatives. Each and every time I have had to reach out to Blue Cross their representatives have been extremely informative. They are well trained to help you in all areas. Pleasant to talk to and great with communication.

Available Plans
Blue Cross and Blue Shield has many different plans for all types of health care needs. They even have a plan for people who tend to be in excellent condition health wise. This comes at a lower premium. Most of their plans seem to offer the routine health benefit which is very important for your yearly exams and shots.