2.3

2.3

Pros

Cons

Cheap Fares Do NOT Mean Cheap Quality

I just love all these new low-fare airlines popping up in Mexico these days, and what I love *MOST* about them is that they tend to be following the JetBlue business model of providing a high-quality flying experience, *NOT* the RyanAir or EasyJet business model of seeing just how much indignity a passenger will suffer before throwing up his arms in surrender and going elsewhere.

Volaris is certainly cheap, and they are *CERTAINLY* good. Even when they cut corners, like flying into Toluca (TLC) instead of Mexico City International (MEX), they make up for it by providing extra service that goes "above and beyond". In Toluca, Volaris actually provides a **shuttle bus** that will take you into Mexico City as far as Santa Fe, where you can hop the Metro subway. That could actually work out to be yet another avenue for savings for some folks, since it will avoid possible taxi fares from the airport.

**Price** sells airline tickets though, and Volaris is leading the charge towards cheap flights. They've got tickets from Mexico City to Cancun for as little as $75 each way, and from Monterrey to Guadalajara for a mere $35. Of courses airport taxes in Mexico are sky-high, and will almost double some of Volaris's low fares, but it still works out to be quite a deal, and can often be, literally, *CHEAPER* than taking a bus. If you're looking for a domestic flight within Mexico, Volaris is well worth considering, especially considering that they fly new Airbus A320 **aircraft** and they offer a very pleasant flight experience. (By the way, Volaris also offers shuttle bus services between the Tijuana airport and San Diego locations, so if you're in southern California, you could be jetting into Mexico *ON THE CHEAP*!)

I thoroughly enjoyed flying with Volaris. Check-in was extremely quick, efficient, and friendly. The flight loaded quickly and pulled out exactly on time. The **cabin** on the Volaris A320 is very nice and thoroughly **comfortable**. I love that every seat has comfortable leather upholstery, and they're configured with a 32 inch seat pitch, so it's no illusion that you have more space than you have with any U.S. domestic carrier --- it's a reality --- Volaris may be a low-price carrier, but their flying experience *IS* superior to that of the major airlines. I also love that there's *FREE* drinks and snacks on every flight, so I can sit back with a chilly cerveza and enjoy my spacious, comfortable, inexpensive seat. The only negative I experienced on the whole flight was having a male flight attendant bring me my complimentary drink (I have this thing for latin women....but then, what red-blooded male doesn't?)

It's easy to do business with Volaris too. Just check out the fares and book your flights online at: www.volaris.com.mx (Just keep in mind that all the prices are in pesos, so if $500 looks like no bargain to you, remember that it's more like US$47....better now?)

Volaris is great. They have a good route map with plenty of flights between all of the major markets in Mexico, plus some desirable tourist hot spots like Cancun or Los Cabos. The traditional wisdom of all the travel guidebooks to Mexico is that first-class buses are **THE** way to get around in Mexico. Nowadays, the proliferation of comfortable low-cost airlines is calling that time-honored recommendation in question. I certainly recommend flying the Volaris way. It's the *ONLY* way to travel for me!

Book with Caution

Volaris usually offers ticket prices lower than all their competitiors, which is the main draw to this small airline.  Unfortunetely you end up paying for those so called "deals".  What the airline doesn't let you know, is that the flight times are subject to flight sales.  If a flight doesn't have many passangers, the airline will change the time to try to boost sales, or will combine two flights into one.  Changing your travel plans without advance notice.  The only way to know of the change is to register on their site and regularly check your reservations.  After calling their customer service number, (whose english speaking agents are limited -- in both ability and number), they stated that customers were notified of changes to flights prior to the flight itself, but not when the changes happened.  So that means what?  A week before?  A day before?

Another major issue here is that fact that they fail to notify potential passangers that since the company is based in Mexico customers paying with a U.S. based credit or debit card will be subjet to a "Foreign Transaction Fee" from their banks.  They refused to acknoweledge the fact, stating that by charging customers in US Dollars they would avoid this, but most (if not all) banks classify a foreign transaction NOT by what currency its made in but to which Country the money is unlimately sent to.  And since Volaris is indeed a Mexican based company, this DEFINETELY falls into the foreign transaction fee category for banks.  That additional fee usually brings the flight ticket price right up to the price of its closest airline competitors.  Making the "deal" not worth the hassle.

Emailed price not available

from Oakland, CA

Comments about Volaris:

Volaris sent me a email with a price of $109 to Central America. I searched both of there Central America destinations on there web site for the next nine months. The price is not offered. I called them and was told I had to use on line chat. On line chat didn't work. The company has no other number available except reservations. I reached a agent that told me to use the Firefox browser. Web site still doesn't work.

Terrible airline.

from Jersey City, NJ

Comments about Volaris:

I had the worst experience coming home with this airline recently. I arrived back Friday April 8 and from boarding to landing the service was terrible. I paid extra for front row seats on the plane and I wasn't accommodated for anything. The crew was very rude and not polite. They didn't want to help at all. They were giving issues with us like we weren't allowed to be on the plane. I will never fly with them again.

Disres

from Ill

Comments about Volaris:

I am so disappointed of service,but most importantly the personnel. My aunt and uncle had arrived 1:30 hours prior to departure in a one room airport with the capability of boarding the airplane. They were told that they had lost their ticket and would not be refunded. Not to mentioned that my uncle is mentally disabled and I had purposely bought tickets in volaris because of your direct flight. A person that is disabled obviously has special needs, therefore I paid for front row sitting and asked for wheelchair.
Aside from missing the flight, they were treated badly. They disrespected my aunt and uncle and had the courage to mock them and ridicule them in front of everyone. You quote to offer great service and unite families from Durango to Chicago; but then again treat people in a way they will not want to travel again.
A costumer has to be respected and not ridiculed by the employees. This behavior was unbelievable and unacceptable.

Volaris is not reliable

from Phoenix

Comments about Volaris:

Volaris is very inexpensive yes but they are really inconvenient. They're always changing flights and not just hours but by days. I've traveled with them for more than 5 times and they have always rescheduled the flight. They're not reliable at all!. And this last experience with them defenetly has me thinking of never flying with them again. All the employees are just rude including the call center. And to talk to someone in their call center takes forever and after an hour of talking on the phone the don't help at all. They're no help and want to charge extra fees for EVERYTHING wich ends up being the same price as other airlines

Hassle

Comments about Volaris:

My husband and I went to Cancun for our Honeymoon. We flew united all the way down to Mexico City with NO problems. We fly Volaris into Cancun and we pick up our luggage. Volaris decided to inspect our big suitcase which I don't mind them doing, but I do mind then ripping the entire zipper off in doing so, leaving our luggage to where we can not use it again. So, while in Cancun we had to buy a $100 suitcase to use since they broke ours. That is US dollars not pesos. We tried to see if Volaris would help us and their reply was let us see what we can do and then someone said they would replace the suitcase and then the final person said no, we were just out of luck. I know in the US if the inspection people broke our luggage they would have no problem helping get us a new suitcase, but seems like no one had the desire to help us with an issue that was Volaris' fault. I am so disappointed in this airline we will NEVER use this service again. They did offer to give us 300 pesos towards another flight, but we never fly down in Mexico, so that option was kind of pointless. I am just so frustrated with the situation and I feel like a company like that should have more options when they are the ones that messes up!

If you use Volaris, be careful because if they ruin your stuff they will not be willing to help you out. I would hate for you to be in our situation. We had to use our honeymoon money to fix what they broke! Ridiculous if you ask me.

Unsatisfied customer.
Michelle Cruz

• In-Flight Accommodations:

Just what you need in an airline!

from Murrieta, CA

Comments about Volaris:

I am so happy my family and I have found Volaris for our flights to Mexico. They always have great deals which are even better if you know you need to fly up to 8 months in advance (sometimes they have crazy airfare specials months in advance). If you are flying solo, they have these great deals where you can purchase more luggage weight before traveling so you don't get sucker punched at check-in with overweight. They do have a super, generous baggage allowance when flying as a group where they account for all the bags together and then figure overweight. This works great as a family. The flights are basic, but unless you need an all frills flight, this airline gets you where you are going for the right price. From the check-in to the flight crew to the luggage arriving with you, we have never had any issues. I would love to give them a higher score, but they still have some routes that are not convenient for us and that makes for a long day of traveling.

The Southwest Airlines of Mexico

from united states

Comments about Volaris:

The best way to describe Volaris Airlines is that they are the Southwest Airlines of Mexico. They offer serves between a number of cities, both larger international airports and smaller regional airports as well. While I have not flown Volaris for international flights, I have taken a handful of domestic flights while traveling for pleasure within Mexico and have been pleased every time.

Service
Volaris offers flights from a large number of airports throughout Mexico, wether you are flying out of a large international airport or a smaller regional airport. I have not had many flight delays or issues with checked luggage while flying Volaris.

In-Flight Accommodations
The in-flight accommodations offered while flying Volaris Airlines are average with other discount airlines today. As I said, Volaris is the Southwest Airlines of Mexico. My experience with their customer services representatives have all been positive ones.

Bad news

Comments about Volaris:

Horrible service!!!! My son was supposed to travel with me, i asked volaris if he could travel with the expired passport for a family emergency, they said yes. So i get there and they tell me he cant fly. Ok i sent him home. I tried to ask for a refund or at least half the money of his ticket and they denied me that. I have no money all my money goes to my father for his cancer treatments, not even because of that they did not give me any money back. So i basically lost $300!! Wait to care about your customers

Book with Caution

from Lakewood, CA

Comments about Volaris:

Volaris is great in the air, awful on the ground

from Mountain View, CA

Comments about Volaris:

1. Beware of connecting flights (Oakland-Toluca/Mexico City via Guadalajara)

If you prefer nonstop over connecting flights, this is not the airline for you.Connecting at Guadalajara (GDL) airport with Volaris is not smooth. Check-in counter agents at Oakland(OAK) missed printing our boarding passes for the second leg, we had to go back to the counter to request them. Connecting in GDL bound to Toluca (TLC) was a nightmare. It is 6 AM after a red-eye and you have to clear immigration, claim your bags, clear customs, exit customs with your bags since they do not have a connecting bag drop-off inside customs, find the check-in counter, wait in line along the GDL incoming passengers to have your bags manually inspected before you can drop them off. At this point you'll have to go through the security checkpoint again and head back to your gate for your next flight boarding less than 2 hours from your arrival. Miss that flight and you'll spend the day in GDL since they do not have many flights from GDL to TLC.

2.International check-in process, agents are not well trained on immigration matters

Some agents are corteous but ignorant, some are stubborn and rude regarding your travel documents.If you happen to be a dual US and Mexican national and use travel documents from both countries as required by the laws of each country, you'll have a hard time checking-in, they will check you in using the wrong document, will try to make you pay a tourist departure tax from which you should be exempt, etc.I have never experienced this kind of confusion with other airlines serving US/Mexico routes,

3. Like the brand and in-flight service

Volaris in-flight experience is similar to those of comfort oriented low cost carriers in the US like Virign America or Jet Blue. An all new fleet with pre-assigned leather seats, AC power outlets in every row, good beverage and snack choices and very helpful and service oriented crew.

In summary:

I'd give Volaris another try if they ever reinstate nonstop flights from the Bay Area to Toluca or Mexico City and if they clarify and consistently train their agents regarding international travel document policy.