4.1

4.1

Pros

Cons

• In-Flight Accommodations:

If you want inexpensive quality - fly Virgin America.

No longer will the consumer be left withonly one choice for inexpensive travel. Virgin American has clearly come to the forefront of the travel world and cleanly shoved Southwest aside as the cost-conscious consumer's choice for travel. (Granted, Virgin America only has a few routes at present, but I guarantee that they will be adding more as their popularity grows.)

Why is Virgin America so great?

1)  Roomy seats - when the person in front of you relines your tray table isn't shoved into your gut. And, no more bald heads  literally in your face! The seats are also leather(?) on a moulded modern plastic frame. In the seat back, is the entertainment and communication module - more on that later.

2)  Good, no-GREAT Food!  Now that we have to pay for food on flights, it might as well be good.  And, it sure is. Prices for meals range from $7-$9. (I recommend the Fruit and Cheese box, the Mandarin Chicken Wrap and the Chicken Salad Wrap. Snacks are also offered, as well as specialty drinks.  As always, sodas, coffee, tea, etc. are complimentary. The cool thing is that you can order and pay for your items on the module in the back of the seat.  Your food is instantly delivered by one of the fun and friendly flight attendants.

3) Entertainment - The safety video is a hoot to watch, and doesn't insult your intelligence as do the safety demos offered on other airlines. And - you will never believe this - your seat cushion is NOT a flotation device!  The entertainment and communication module (Linux-based) located in the seat back in front of you, above the tray table, has so many choices - most free - to keep you amused on your flight. The difference between Virgin America and other airlines are the CHOICES. You can pick one of several current movies, regular TV (including sports, news, Sci Fi, and sitcoms), and text messaging feature that allows you to communicate with anyone else on the plane. This is great, especially for people like my husband and I, who sit across aisle from each other instead of next to each other. We can gossip away and no one will ever know! There are video games (operated with the removable controller from your armrest) which is a controller on one side fr games, TV controller, etc. and a keyboard on the other (for texting). Or you can watch the flight as it progresses across the country on Google Maps - or. listen to any type of music you like..there are so many choices, I can't remember what they all were. Oh, and as I mentioned above, you can order your food and drinks - and pay for them with the handy credit card slot.

They also offer power for all electronic devices for each seat, and encourage their use (except for cell phones, of course).

4) The boarding process - this is where Virgin did some research on human behavior and the sociology of plane boarding. You are divided into groups - I couldn't figure out the categories are created - As usual, kids, first class and those needing extra assistance go first. Then, the groups are called. They do not seem to be in seat order - but in a pattern that allows people to be settled in before the next group boards. There was no traffic jams, fighting over stowage space, or climbing over people to get into your seat. Sweet. Compare that to the Southwest "cattle boarding" method. They have changed it several times over the years, but no matter how they set it up, it is based on the first come - first served method, thus creating the aura reminiscent of waiting in line for Rolling Stones concert tickets.

5)  Flight Attendants - Southwest used to be fun - back about 15 yrs ago. Now, they are just as bitter and jaded as all the other airline hosts/hostesses. The entire crew, from Captain to attendants, assist with the boarding and the "deplaneing." Young, friendly, upbeat - they way that flight crews should be. With the heightened anxiety associated with flying today, an unfriendly or snippy attendant is the LAST thing you need to make your flight even more stressful.

6) Price - they are inexpensive. They match Southwest in fares, and are a lot less expensive than Jet Blue.

What more can I say? Oh - they have a lighting scheme that helps with mood.  Blues, pinks, purples - very soothing.  Someone did their research!

Virgin America ROCKS.

Virgin America Customer Service Nightmare

May 16, 2008

Dear Customer,

May 16, 2008

Dear Customer,

I felt compelled to write this letter after the thirtieth birthday trip my partner and I planned was foiled by the apathetic attitudes we experienced when dealing with Virgin America Airlines. Initially we booked this flight because we were told this smaller trendy airline was fun and slightly more personable than the typical "box them up and shove them through" airlines most of us experience when we fly today. Initially we had some problems booking through the airlines web page so I called them directly and had a representative their book our trip. The day before our departure arrived and everything was set to get off the ground when we hoped it would. However things quickly took a turn for the worst after we realized they had made a scheduling mistake with our flight. Aware of $40.00 rescheduling fee I hastily called the Virgin America's customer service hotline to resolve the issue.

What ensued can only be described as the most painfully time consuming and frustrating experience I have ever had when dealing with an airline. Not only did Virgin America charge me the $40.00 rescheduling fee outlined on their webpage but they also added the difference in prices between the flights. A fee of $272.00 was accessed by the airline to change our departure from San Diego to San Francisco and an additional charge of $272.00 for our return flight as well. The customer services representatives were blatantly indifferent to our situation and staunchly insisted the $544.00 total fee difference was "my only option". I was disturbed that the representatives I dealt with (three separate individuals) seemed to deliberately and maliciously leave me on hold for fifteen minute increments for nearly two hours. I felt as if each time they picked up the phone they were only doing so to ensure they were operating with in company consumer holding protocol (assuming of course they even have such policies). At no point did they offer me options or give me professional feedback regarding the status of the issue while I was holding. I never felt as though they were operating to assist me with my problem in anyway. The representatives I dealt with were unbelievably disrespectful to me as a customer and highly unprofessional .The changes I did make were painfully time consuming, stressful and costly to our vacation budget.  When all was said and done I ended up with the exact same flights I had originally paid for. However a $125.00 charge was accessed on my credit card for good measure due to my changes and their time. Mind you the changes I initially tried to make were canceled and I reverted to my initial flight with in an excruciatingly long two hour period. The bargain we thought we were getting to fly on this airline was not at all worth it. Not only did I end up paying $323.00 for the exact same flight that I originally booked for a cost of $198.00 but my total losses due to other cancelations exceeded $500.00. I would highly recommend that all my friends, family members other consumers not wanting to suffer the same fate consider flying with another more service driven airline. Our best experiences to date have been with Southwest Airlines.

Sincerely,

Unimpressed San Diego

Terrible seating

from Modesto ca

Comments about Virgin America Airlines:

Stuck me in seats in front of escape aisle. Sucked.

Interactive screens make travel easier.

Comments about Virgin America Airlines:

The last few times I have flown with Virgin I have been impressed. I generally book with American, Jet blue, and Delta for personal flights; but, when traveling for work, my company does the booking. And, with the quality of the last few flights I have taken, I would consider using the company for personal trips as well.

First off, the seats are rather large and comfortable, and seem to have more leg room than competitor flights. So, you do have more room than you would with other carrier jets, which is a feature I am sure any traveler would appreciate. Their staff is also friendly; both at the airport and on the plane, everyone was friendly, helpful, and the flights took off quickly. Another nice feature is the ability to order drinks or food right from an interactive screen. No need to wait for the flight attendant to reach you on larger flights.

Overall, they offer quick service, affordable rates, a friendly staff, flights to nearly anywhere in the world, and extremely comfortable seating. I would consider flying with them again in the future, for both personal and business trips.

I'm impressed!

from Texas

Comments about Virgin America Airlines:

On a recent trip out of Los Angeles we took Virgin Airlines, which I soon discovered is now part of American Airlines. The flight was not only comfortable but relaxing and a positive experience.

Service
Very positive, all the way from web site booking to ticketing and travel. Snack lunch offered actually looked tempting. Seats were comfortable and inviting. Boarding was on time and take off as scheduled. I was impressed.

In-Flight Accommodations
The staff was great, wonderful attitude. They actually seemed to like their jobs. What a unique concept. The attendants were very professional and I noted that they seemed to check in with each passenger sometime during the flight. The plane itself seemed cleaner, brighter, and nicer than many other we have flew on recently. I will certainly recommend this airline and will use it whenever I can. They certainly have my vote for making flying a pleasant experience.

A fantastic flight experience

Comments about Virgin America Airlines:

Since I am in the field of international studies while getting my masters degree, I do a lot of traveling both for work with the law firm I work at and for personal leisure with my fiancé. We often have to work hard to find the best prices on airlines without having to settle for a low quality flight. Through our excessive searching and painstaking number crunching, we often found that the best prices have come from Virgin American Airlines. Every time that we have used the airliner, which is often, we have had a great experience with every aspect of the flight, including comfort, service, and efficiency. The flight attendants are very kind and accommodating, the food is high quality, and the entertainment if fantastic. In comparison to some other airlines that I have used, the quality of Virgin really impresses both myself and my fiancé and I recommend it to anyone that is going to travel either often of once a year because it is just a great experience.

Great Flight!

Comments about Virgin America Airlines:

Flying with Virgin America was a great experience for me and my family. The seats are super comfortable and the flight attendants are very nice. Instead of the flight attendants saying the flight safety rules, there was a very interesting and entertaining music video that took place! I really enjoyed the free beauty goody bag from Michelle Phan. The snacks are okay, but I didn't expect much considering it was an airplane and not a fine dining eatery. I'm giving this review an overall of nine because even though the service was great the prices of the plane tickets were very expensive and there are not enough destinations available.

Service
The service was great! The flight attendants were really nice and helpful towards my daughter who had flying nerves.

In-Flight Accommodations
In flight accommodations were also really good! The chairs were super comfy and I easily fell asleep in no time.

• In-Flight Accommodations:

A decent, comfortable airline for you traveling needs.

Comments about Virgin America Airlines:

I took an airplane from Virgin American Airlines approximately one month ago from California to the East Coast. Overall, it was a decent experience. It was a pretty typical experience. The chairs were comfortable for sitting in, but not for sleeping in. On my return trip, I began to take a nap, but I was inevitably stranded in an awkward position that strained my neck and gave me a headache. Another complaint of mine is the annoying safety information video they play before the flight. It is an absolutely terrible music video that annoyingly informs you of the safety stuff and whatnot. Despite these annoyances, my experience was not terrible (airplane trips are never that exciting). With a good movie on your laptop, a jacket, some food, and the complimentary soda...the trip can be decently enjoyable.

Service
The service was fine. The flight attendents are friendly.

In-Flight Accommodations
Virgin America airplanes have these interactive screens for every chair, where you can order food, watch videos, listen to music from, etc. It's a nice feature, although I didn't find it that fun to use.

One of my Favorite Airlines,

Comments about Virgin America Airlines:

It's definitely a tie between Virgin and Southwest for my #1 favorite airline. The first time I rode Virgin was about ten years ago on a trip to North Dakota for my spring break. I found Virgin's services to be very useful and from then on out always tried to book a flight with them. First off, the flight attendants are ALWAYS kind and helpful, I have never found myself without assistance. As compared to other airlines, such as Frontier, the service and hospitality of the crew on the airplane are always satisfactory. Secondly, one of my favorite accommodations on Virgin planes is definitely the seats. Trust me, when I'm traveling non-stop somewhere for 4 hours I want to have good, comfortable seats. And that's just want Virgin provides; I don't even need a neck pillow! Overall, Virgin has provided me with comfort, care, and assurance over the years and I would highly recommend it to anyone in need of a trustworthy airline.

Great Bargain Flights

from Boston, MA

Comments about Virgin America Airlines:

Virgin is a great airline and I will definitely use them if I can in the future. I didn't feel hassled like I sometimes do on other airlines. There were no crazy hidden fees and all employees that I met were friendly and kind. The seats were pretty comfortable for a low cost coach flight and I had a good amount of leg room which can be an issue on flights as I am fairly tall. I price shopped for this flight and they were the cheapest but also one of the best values that I have had for a flight in a while. I would highly recommend them - they seem to be a great airline.

Service
I'm not sure if they mean service as in the flight service or service on the flight, ergo attendants. Both were fine. The flight left on time and actually we arrived early which was great because I was exhausted and even 10 minutes off my trip made a difference. The stewardess was very funny and friendly and had an uncanny ability to be 16 places at once. I have never seen a stewardess hustle like she did without her smile wavering for a second. She was fantastic! The pilot checked in with us a few times during the flight as we flew over some interesting things - a rainbow over a few clouds, and a cool shaped field and he made sure to point them out for everyone to enjoy. It was a great experience and I don't really enjoy flying.

In-Flight Accommodations
I used Virgin for a short flight within the United States. Accommodations were average for a flight of this length. I didn't need anything special but the stewardess was very funny and helpful.

You Never Forget Your First Flight

from Palm Bay, FL

Comments about Virgin America Airlines:

This is my first and favorite airline. My mother bought me a ticket to go from Orlando to London with Virgin because it was the only straight-through flight and she was worried about me changing planes by myself. We paid a little more for the ticket, but the piece of mind was worth it to her. I had a wonderful flight. They provided several meals that they warmed up during the flight (sadly, this made me think all flights were this way - what a disappointment when I learned it was only international!) There was also a pretty big variety of movies to watch on the in-flight TV. I loved the way the flight attendants dress - just like in the movies. Not every seat was sold, so I was able to spread out a bit. Everything was just quicker and more efficient than many of the other airlines I have traveled with since. Next time I go international, I will seriously be considering Virgin, even if it costs a little more.

My number one choice!

Comments about Virgin America Airlines:

I have used the services of Virgin America Airlines for quite a few times now. When my husband and I have to travel domestically, Virgin Airlines is our number one choice. The tickets we get are of the reasonable amount possible, plus they are not very strict with the cabin bag size and the best of all, they give the free entertainment service in the sky. Every time our travel with the Virgin America Airlines has gone smoothly. The on ground staff as well as in flight staff are courteous and polite and welcome you with a smile.
Their departures and arrivals have been on time so far, with a smooth flight. The seats are comfortable and the guests are served with complimentary drinks as well. They also have a wide variety of paid meals to select from. Overall, Virgin America airline is an affordable way to travel, especially when you are in a group. Try it once, you will not be disappointed.