Other Airlines:

Pros

Cons

• Service:
    • In-Flight Accommodations:

It's good to know there's an airline you can trust out there.

I flew Southwest Airlines for the first time in 2008 but did not fully appreciate their splendid service until recently. **Southwest Airlines** is the only airline I will fly now that they travel from Chicago Midway airport to Minneapolis and back. (I live in Chicago but my family resides in Minnesota, so I always head home for the major holidays.)

I love how Southwest runs its check-in process. Boarding passes are available online exactly 24 hours prior to departure and throughout the day leading up to your flight. Simply log online, enter your name and confirmation number, and you'll be directed to a page with your boarding information.

You'll be assigned a letter and a number. The letter is your group, the number is your position in the group. If you're A12, you are the twelfth person to board the flight. This is fantastic because seats are first come, first serve on Southwest. At first I was wary of this process (what if I get stuck in between two people who snore, drool and hog the arm rests?!), but now I love it. Most of the time people leave middle seats at the front of the plane open, so I grab them and am first off the plane - woo!

Best of all about this check-in process: you DO NOT have to have immediate access to a printer to get your boarding pass. Your information is reserved up until your flight, so you can print everything at the airport. Just have access to a computer 24 hours prior to your flight and you're guaranteed to get a decent seat.

**Southwest Airlines** also does not charge for bags. You can check two bags up to 50 pounds for no fee. No airline does that!

Did I mention the flights are cheap? I can book a flight only ONE WEEK in advance for a Friday-Sunday trip from Chicago to Minneapolis for just over $200. Otherwise it is around $139-$159 dollars. It is easy to cancel or change flights too. There are 3 different fare levels - two offer refunds and one does not. I never purchase the two that allow refunds (Anytime and Business Select fares) because they're more expensive, so I can only attest to the Wanna Get Away fares. One word: great! If you have to cancel your flight(s), you get Southwest Airlines credits that are reusable for 6-12 months from your purchase date (depending on the restrictions detailed at rescheduling). It took five minutes for me to call and speak to an agent and cancel one of my flights for the holidays in 2009, AND it was only one part of a round trip reservation! So, Southwest treats roundtrip reservations as one-ways in the end. I like it.

Additionally, you can reschedule flights if your prices drop and get Southwest Airlines credit for it. Again, I am only familiar with the Wanna Get Away fares because that's all I book. In January 2010 Southwest ran a special where one-way flights to and from certain destinations were $59-$99 dollars if you flew between March 15 and May 25 (excluding flying on Fridays or Sundays). I decided to book a trip home to Minneapolis. Two weeks later they ran another special where flights were **$39 dollars one way**! I called to ask if I could get a refund since it'd only been two weeks from my original purchase date. They explained that since I had ordered the tickets online I had to do it online, but they told me exactly how to do it. I logged in to my Southwest account, "rescheduled" my flights (selected the same flights on the same dates) and immediately a credit for $46 valid on Southwest Airlines appeared in my account! The funds were valid until August 2010.

I also really like that Southwest chooses to fly in to smaller airports - for the most part. They fly in to Minneapolis' Humphrey terminal (the secondary terminal), which only has 8 gates, so getting through security is a breeze. Flying out of Chicago it's Midway, which in my opinion is the better of the two Chicago airports. The only delays I have had at Midway are weather delays in OTHER cities. Typically at O'hare - the other Chicago airport - you'll have a weather delay with clear skies and sun burning down on you. Ridiculous.

Their rewards program is pretty sweet. If you fly eight round trip flights in a year you get one free. That's not hard if you take in to consideration holidays and such.

The flight attendants on my flights have all been friendly and funny. One even sang to us upon landing: "For other airlines be forgot & never brought to mind! Cause Southwest Airlines got you here and we got you here on time!" - TRUE.

*Five stars* for **Southwest Airlines**. I will not use another airline again, as long as I can help it!

Brings back memories of sixth grade.

On the whole, I like Southwest Airlines.  The planes are comfortable, the flights are on time, the flight attendants are very friendly, and the prices are good.  The reason I don't fly Southwest more often is the whole "no assigned seating" thing.  When I do fly Southwest, I hate the idea of having to jockey with people for position in the line to board the plane.  It reminds me of being in a middle school lunch line, and that's not something I want to relive.  Then after casually and nonchalantly getting up and getting in line while trying to give the illusion of being a grown-up, handicapped people and people with small children (and evidently the 27 people traveling with them) automatically get to go first.  I'd really rather just know what seat I'm going to be sitting in.

My favorite airline!

from Denver Co

Comments about Southwest Airlines:

Southwest is my favorite airline, hands down. I love the two free checked bags. Their in flight hot chocolate is actually very very good. They give you plenty of snack choices on longer flights, and I actually enjoy being able to essentially choose my own seat during open seating. The planes are usually as spacious and clean as a current-day public transport airplane can be. The flight attendants have always been kind and personable when I have interacted with them. My sole complaint is just that their pet fee is very pricey, especially since you have to pay each way. Now that my dog is older, she has been trained as a fully trained service dog, so pet fees are no longer an issue because I need her to assist me. But before she was trained, it was very cumbersome to pay $95 each way for a 3 lb puppy who just slept in her carrier the whole way. That being said, Southwest is an amazing airline. I highly recommend them to others-- even if you are bringing your pets. Not having baggage fees almost makes up for the pet fee!

Terrible Service

from Memphis TN

Comments about Southwest Airlines:

Run away from Southwest Airlines. They last week checked my "Free" luggage, including my golf equipment. Upon return at 2am on a Tuesday morning, I went to play the next weekend. I took my clubs out of the travel case and the driver was snapped. I contacted Southwest, and they said that I had four hours from arrival to turn in my complaint. So I was supposed to have checked my golf bag between 2 and 6 am, and somehow figure out how to contact Southwest during that time. Makes a lot of sense.

I fly quite a bit, but never again with Southwest, a company who cannot take responsibility for throwing my clubs somewhere total upside down.

Southwest Vacations are great !

from Sacramento CA

Comments about Southwest Airlines:

We fly Southwest every year to Vacation the package is always a good deal. Flight and Hotel package in one. I have checked other prices and they are the best. They are my favorite airline interior of their airplanes is always clean and the employees are nice. Flight is always good

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

Comfortable, affordable and on time flights

from Orlando, FL

Comments about Southwest Airlines:

Over the last 2 years me and my husband have travelled several time by southwest airlines. It is our preferred go-to airlines as it is really affordable. It allows two free check-in baggages per person which is always a plus. The air miles or points which they offer is another perk which saves you a lot of money over time. Of the nearly 30+ flights we have taken till now, there has never been a delay or flight cancellation. Maybe we just lucky! The crew is always helpful and friendly. Though I am not a fan of in flight snacks, I do appreciate the complimentary drinks they offer which becomes necessary for keeping hydrated. We haven't had any issues with our baggages missing or delayed. All my experiences comes from domestic flights only as I have not travelled in southwest international flights. The one downside is the seating arrangements where you have to stand in the boarding position. I just find it weird to keep asking people around me what number theirs is. I end up trying to take a peek at others ticket so as to not bother them, something which i don't enjoy doing. But this doesn't stop us from flying southwest! Their customer service, affordability, timely flights, free checked baggages are too good of a deal to pass!
Go Southwest!

THE NOISY, YET AFFORDABLE FLIGHT

from Toronto, Ontario

Comments about Southwest Airlines:

I used southwest in past for traveling across the country and probably will continue to use it for its cheap domestic flights. The flight attendants are super friendly and happy to help you. The restrooms are nice and clean as well, which is always a plus! The downside with SouthWest is that their flights are a little noisy close the window seat. The upside is that the flights are not overcrowded and that they don't have much of a layover time.

ok

from Pittsburgh, PA

Comments about Southwest Airlines:

I do not like the self seating. We have a family of 7 and if we are last boarding we can not sit by each other. Like how other airlines have assigned seating. Other then that nice airline.

Cheap Fligts

from Richmond, VA

Comments about Southwest Airlines:

Southwest always has the cheapest flights and you can not beat the 2 free checked bags. I always buy the early bird check in to avoid having to deal with the check it as fast as you can. It works for my family. The negatives are you cramped in uncomfortable seats. I usually only chose Southwest for a top flight length of 3 hrs. I have been on a couple flights without Wi-Fi which was a little boring. Overall,though you cant compete with the flight prices. that's why I always recommend it to friends.

Thank you so much Southwest wheelchair crew at MCO.

from The Villages, FL

Comments about Southwest Airlines:

Thanks so much Josh and Lynn for helping to solve our problem when we left my mom's medication bag in her SW wheelchair at MCO. They were able to send the bag on the way to The Villages after claiming it for us at Lost and Found. This was appreciated and both these employees deserve great praise.

I Would Fly Southwest Again!

from McMinnville, TN

Comments about Southwest Airlines:

I flew Southwest Airlines on a round-trip flight out of Nashville, TN to Norfolk, VA. The last few flights I've were on a competitor airlines and I had all but forgotten the Southwest passenger processing. The boarding pass was very informative about time, place, luggage requirements. I requested a email boarding pass both trips and the Southwest system verified it all with ease making the check-in and boarding a pleasure! The flights were on-time. The onboard fight comfortable and pleasant. My congratulations to the Captains for excellent landings, especially for the landing in Norfolk as there were cross-winds to manage. I have only one recommendation because no airline does it perfectly. I recommend the airline begin offering free beverages before boarding while passengers await.

Awsome Employees..Great customer service

from New Orleans, LA

Comments about Southwest Airlines:

After having a terrible day trying to get home from vacation for the holidays and receiving terrible service from American Airlines after they gave my wifes ticket to someone else and kicked her off the flight. I purchased a ticket for my wife on the Southwest flight I had booked home for work.

The weather was terrible and my wife was already upset from the morning flight as it was very rough due to bad weather.We boarded our connecting flight onto Southwest and was greeted by the flight attendant who could immediately tell how nervous my wife was for the flight. She sat in the seat next to me and my wife and helped to calm my wife down by reassuring her everything would be ok and that she was in good hands with a confident and capable pilot on the Southwest flight team. Not only did she do this initially but she continued to come back and check on my wife to make sure she was ok.Not only was she great but the captain also came on the intercom to reassure us that everything was ok and that we were expecting a bumpy ride which also helped to calm everyone on the flight.

I fly a lot for work and have never received this kind of great service. She truly made us feel that we were people and not just another number like the other Airliners made us feel that morning. She made us fell like valuable customers.