Other Airlines:

Pros

Cons

• Service:
    • In-Flight Accommodations:
    • I received a sample (14), I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand (3)

It's good to know there's an airline you can trust out there.

I flew Southwest Airlines for the first time in 2008 but did not fully appreciate their splendid service until recently. **Southwest Airlines** is the only airline I will fly now that they travel from Chicago Midway airport to Minneapolis and back. (I live in Chicago but my family resides in Minnesota, so I always head home for the major holidays.)

I love how Southwest runs its check-in process. Boarding passes are available online exactly 24 hours prior to departure and throughout the day leading up to your flight. Simply log online, enter your name and confirmation number, and you'll be directed to a page with your boarding information.

You'll be assigned a letter and a number. The letter is your group, the number is your position in the group. If you're A12, you are the twelfth person to board the flight. This is fantastic because seats are first come, first serve on Southwest. At first I was wary of this process (what if I get stuck in between two people who snore, drool and hog the arm rests?!), but now I love it. Most of the time people leave middle seats at the front of the plane open, so I grab them and am first off the plane - woo!

Best of all about this check-in process: you DO NOT have to have immediate access to a printer to get your boarding pass. Your information is reserved up until your flight, so you can print everything at the airport. Just have access to a computer 24 hours prior to your flight and you're guaranteed to get a decent seat.

**Southwest Airlines** also does not charge for bags. You can check two bags up to 50 pounds for no fee. No airline does that!

Did I mention the flights are cheap? I can book a flight only ONE WEEK in advance for a Friday-Sunday trip from Chicago to Minneapolis for just over $200. Otherwise it is around $139-$159 dollars. It is easy to cancel or change flights too. There are 3 different fare levels - two offer refunds and one does not. I never purchase the two that allow refunds (Anytime and Business Select fares) because they're more expensive, so I can only attest to the Wanna Get Away fares. One word: great! If you have to cancel your flight(s), you get Southwest Airlines credits that are reusable for 6-12 months from your purchase date (depending on the restrictions detailed at rescheduling). It took five minutes for me to call and speak to an agent and cancel one of my flights for the holidays in 2009, AND it was only one part of a round trip reservation! So, Southwest treats roundtrip reservations as one-ways in the end. I like it.

Additionally, you can reschedule flights if your prices drop and get Southwest Airlines credit for it. Again, I am only familiar with the Wanna Get Away fares because that's all I book. In January 2010 Southwest ran a special where one-way flights to and from certain destinations were $59-$99 dollars if you flew between March 15 and May 25 (excluding flying on Fridays or Sundays). I decided to book a trip home to Minneapolis. Two weeks later they ran another special where flights were **$39 dollars one way**! I called to ask if I could get a refund since it'd only been two weeks from my original purchase date. They explained that since I had ordered the tickets online I had to do it online, but they told me exactly how to do it. I logged in to my Southwest account, "rescheduled" my flights (selected the same flights on the same dates) and immediately a credit for $46 valid on Southwest Airlines appeared in my account! The funds were valid until August 2010.

I also really like that Southwest chooses to fly in to smaller airports - for the most part. They fly in to Minneapolis' Humphrey terminal (the secondary terminal), which only has 8 gates, so getting through security is a breeze. Flying out of Chicago it's Midway, which in my opinion is the better of the two Chicago airports. The only delays I have had at Midway are weather delays in OTHER cities. Typically at O'hare - the other Chicago airport - you'll have a weather delay with clear skies and sun burning down on you. Ridiculous.

Their rewards program is pretty sweet. If you fly eight round trip flights in a year you get one free. That's not hard if you take in to consideration holidays and such.

The flight attendants on my flights have all been friendly and funny. One even sang to us upon landing: "For other airlines be forgot & never brought to mind! Cause Southwest Airlines got you here and we got you here on time!" - TRUE.

*Five stars* for **Southwest Airlines**. I will not use another airline again, as long as I can help it!

Brings back memories of sixth grade.

On the whole, I like Southwest Airlines.  The planes are comfortable, the flights are on time, the flight attendants are very friendly, and the prices are good.  The reason I don't fly Southwest more often is the whole "no assigned seating" thing.  When I do fly Southwest, I hate the idea of having to jockey with people for position in the line to board the plane.  It reminds me of being in a middle school lunch line, and that's not something I want to relive.  Then after casually and nonchalantly getting up and getting in line while trying to give the illusion of being a grown-up, handicapped people and people with small children (and evidently the 27 people traveling with them) automatically get to go first.  I'd really rather just know what seat I'm going to be sitting in.

YES, THE BEST

from CAGUAS, PR

Comments about Southwest Airlines:

I HAVE TRAVELED SEVERAL TIMES FOR THIS AIRLINE AND I DO NOT REPENT. THE TREATMENT IS EXCELLENT. THE SECURITY IS VERY GOOD, THEY ARE ALSO CORRECTED AND IF THEY ARRIVE TO HAVE A TIME AGAIN, THEY RECONMPENATE YOU FOR THEIR ERROR. YOUR COST OF FLIGHT ARE VERY GOOD AND THE ADVANTAGE IS THAT YOU CAN CARRY YOUR TWO BAGS DOWN AND YOUR BULK IN THE HAND WITHOUT ADDITIONAL CONTESTS. I RECOMMEND IT TO ALL.

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

love this airline

from redondo beach

Comments about Southwest Airlines:

I love this airline. Been flying with them since I was 11 years old and now my 2 kids are signed up and we fly often. I love the free bags check in ans carry on, roomy inside. My toddler loves peanuts and pretzels and the free drinks.

Good Airline!

from NY

Comments about Southwest Airlines:

Southwest is usually the lowest fair at my airport. They are located at a local airport 20 minutes from my home which makes it so convenient. I don't fly that often but southwest is my go to airline. The staff is usually very good and friendly. This last flight they were not a happy group on the way home during a evening flight. I belong to their rapid rewards program so I earn points towards a free flight. The only thing I do not like it that they don't have assigned seating. But all in all it is a very good airline.

Tight but efficient

from Oregon

Comments about Southwest Airlines:

I have always had pleasant flights with Southwest, but I am a little tired of the cramped tight feeling of the plane.

Fly with the best

from atlanta, ga

Comments about Southwest Airlines:

Southwest Airlines is the only airline to fly. Not only do the employees have fun while working, they treat all their passengers with the utmost quality and care.

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

Southwest 4 Ever

from Kansas City, MO

Comments about Southwest Airlines:

I love southwest. I get affordable flights and 2 free bags, what is there not to love?! Not only that, you can change your flight if the price drops and there are no assigned seats.

Always fly with southwest

from Wabasha MN

Comments about Southwest Airlines:

I always fly with Southwest Airlines. I like the 2 bags free so you don't have to worry about payment ng your your luggage.

Always Fly Southwest!

from Las Cruces, NM

Comments about Southwest Airlines:

I love flying Southwest! I love the cheap fairs and the 2 free bags! Employees are always helpful and fun!

Good Airline

from North Dakota

Comments about Southwest Airlines:

Good airline. Affordable flights that get you to your destination. Very kind staff.

Singing stewartest

from Philly

Comments about Southwest Airlines:

My recent flight was traveling from Puerto Rico to Baltimore. The staff on this flight was amazing. They were so kind, engaging and very attentive. They made sure that you were very comfortable and jabe what you needed. They made multiple rounds making sure you had drinks, snacks and anything else in between. I loved this flight, very comfortable. The pilot communicated often with updates as the staff my you feel like family.