3.1

3.1

Pros

Cons

• In-Flight Accommodations:

You're a guest, not a passenger

**Ready for great service in the skies?** British Airways delivers. This is a top-notch airline with a different attitude than most of the others. Their present ad campaign sums it up nicely: you are a guest, not a passenger. **Connections in London are Preferable**As a frequent traveler to Europe, I strongly advise making connections in the States and flying direct to your European destination from Miami, Atlanta, Newark or another east coast airport. Switching planes in a European country can be trying at best, and a nightmare in the worse case scenario - Iberia passengers attempting to navigate a connection in Madrid can easily miss a flight due to security hassles, arrogant security police, and crazy long lines. British Airways is the exception. Entering Europe via London, where systems are rational, and the language is the same, is a far more pleasant experience, and is the best alternative to flying direct to your final destination from the states. British Airways flight attendants are gracious, friendly and extremely professional. First class is a delight for those lucky enough to afford it, but coach is very good; you'll get the same great service no matter what your budget allows.

The Bottom Line: ***Libby Loves It!***

Europe's leading airline?!!

I was looking forward to my flight on British Airways as I had never flown on them before, and had heard wonderful things about them from my friends traveling to Europe.  In February 2008 we flew out of Vancouver, British Columbia to Zurich, Switzerland to visit some friends, with a plane change at Heathrow in London.  It was a tight connection and we had to take the bus to change terminals, but we figured if we hustled, we'd make it.  How could we imagine that after running our rear ends off to get from terminal one to terminal four as fast as possible that we'd run into a little problem.  They didn't have a flight crew for the flight.  I don't mean short of flight attendants, they were shy of pilots.  Both of them.  It was a bit more serious than running shy of peanuts for the flight.  At this point I figured that yet our second flight on British would be a wee bit late to Zurich.  Three hours later, the crew showed.  This wouldn't have been that big of a deal should we not had friends waiting at the Zurich Airport to pick us up.

The flight from Canada to London left almost a half an hour late, (no big deal), then we were crammed into maybe the narrowest seats I have ever sat in for a ten hour airplane flight.  Ten hours siting in a really really narrow tight seat in a completely packed airplane with no place to go and a large overly lubricated gentleman sitting on the aisle to my right isn't my idea of a great trip.  Not British Airways fault that large people fly and get crammed into seats half their width, but feeding him booze for about 4 hours when he already smelled like a Johnny Walker distillery, did get a bit under my skin, and made my barely able to deal with the width problem even more of an open wound.

The return trip from Italy was no different.  Late, and late again.  They did have flight crews for all the return flights, so things were showing signs of improving.  On the return connection through Heathrow, (on a full to capacity 747), we were delayed about an hour because, according to the flight crew, "the passengers on board had brought too much luggage, and it had to be redistributed".  Weren't they the ones who packed it in the first place?  Now it's our fault?  In four decades of air travel, I had never heard that one before.  Bravo for originality.

To their credit, the food was good on board, the seat back entertainment system worked well with tons of choices available, had excellent sound quality, and liquor was complementary during the international flights.  They also gave all passengers packets with socks for wearing on the flights, a toothbrush, ear plugs, and headphones for the entertainment system.  The in flight cabin personnel really were quite pleasant, and British pretty much always is competitive in price when flying in that general direction.

In short, British was just too fraught with problems regarding finding the right gates because no one seemed to know, late flights, cramming people into the minimum amount of space when they fly, and personnel who just didn't seem to have their jobs as a priority in their lives during working hours.  I fly a lot for business and pleasure and am used to the problems associated with travel, and the sometime unavoidable mishaps that come your way on some journeys..... but this outfit......Holy cow!   I would again fly them if I had to, but it sure wouldn't be my first choice.  Nor my second.  Maybe it was just a bad trip, but I wouldn't look forward to taking the chance to check for improvements.

**UPDATE APRIL 2009:**  As the British Airways saga continues, I flew out of Heathrow to Istanbul round trip during April of 2009.  Nothing much seems to have changed, but perhaps they're beginning to grow on me.  Don't get me wrong, they're still as disorganized as all get out, but the people on the flight crew were still quite pleasant, it was a nice flight both ways, and so what if the entertainment system was down.  It is British Airways after all.  The aforementioned being stated, I have softened my tone of their criticisms, and given them three stars, up from two.  British with all their faults, is still one of the most prominent connections for getting yourself around Europe, Asia Minor, or Africa from the good ol' USA.  Just don't be surprised if you end up hanging around in an airport for 8 or 9 hours because of some circumstance beyond their control.  It is British after all.

Worst Ever

from MI, USA

Comments about British Airways:

Worst airline customer service ever. The call center is challenged in using English and will cancel your ticket if you have mobility issues. Worst airline I have dealt with for disability related concerns. They have a rule that only allows you to call three times, and they hang up on your the first two. The resolution offered for their errors, you can buy more tickets from them. Worst ever! Stay away if you have any ADA issues, they do not want you on their planes.

terrible experience with british airways

from virginia

Comments about British Airways:

British Airways overbooked my flight from Paris to London and I had to send my 2 children on without me to continue to the US while I waited 4 hours for the incompetent BA personnel who had no idea how to rebook me after BA caused the problem with the overbooking of my original flight. After 4 hours and because I had business commitments in the US the next day, I had to buy a one-way ticket to get home. BA has refused to reimburse me for the cost of the ticket and rental car that I needed to get home after they prevented me from taking my originally-booked flight. I will NEVER fly British Airways again and never have my family and friends fly BA either. In 50+years of traveling all over the world, I have never had such a bad experience with such poorly-trained, uncaring and rude airline personnel.

bad baggage Handling

from Canada

Comments about British Airways:

baggages are totally destroyed when i got them at heathrow airport

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

Fantastic

from Dallas, TX

Comments about British Airways:

British Airways was my first airline to use on an overseas flight. I had flown internationally before but still within the Americas (from North to Central and North to South). I was headed over to England to spend time studying at Oxford University. Still a young college student, I was a bit apprehensive about my first major flight alone.
I had nothing to fear on British Airlines. The whole experience was wonderful. From the time I boarded the plane to the time I collected my bags, the service was top notch and the airplane itself was in incredible shape.
The flight, and all subsequent flights via British Airways, was comfortable with excellent food service and a large selection of in-flight entertainment, including movies, TV shows and music.
The flight crew was warm and welcoming. The made me feel like a valued guest and went above and beyond to care for me as a passenger.

In-Flight Accommodations
Great food and great entertainment.

Nice airline!

from Davie, FL

Comments about British Airways:

I went on vacation to the United Kingdom last summer. When I took my flight home to the United States, I used British Airways. It was a long, but pleasant flight, and I have no complaints about it at all. The flight was affordable, and we started flying at exactly the right time; no delays at all. The pilot was experienced, and we did not experience any turbulence. I would recommend this airline for anyone travelling out of the United Kingdom who is on a budget and wants a comfortable flight.

Service
The flight attendants are respectful, and they are always asking if I need anything. To give a more specific example, one of the flight attendants even gave me extra snacks and a movie free of charge.

In-Flight Accommodations
The on-flight attendants offer snacks and drinks every couple of hours. They have a pretty good variety; there's something for everyone. You can also purchase pillows, blankets, movies, TV shows, etc.

• In-Flight Accommodations:

Terrible customer service and no leg room.

Comments about British Airways:

I flew from Newark, NJ to Paris, France (and back) and was surprised by how rude the flight attendants were on the way back home. The entire plane, too, was supposed to be business class, but I was clearly sitting in coach- it was SO tight! And, I am 5'3 and 130 lbs- and if I think it was too cramped, I can't imagine what everyone else felt. I sat in the first row of what should have been called coach, and I flew 6 hours with the person (in 1st class) directly in front of me reclined in my lap. At least they showed us movies for free...

Service
On the way to Paris, the flight attendants were sweet and courteous. On my way home (different group of flight attendants), they were curt and abrupt and completely non-accommodating.

In-Flight Accommodations
I was told this was an "all business" flight. In reality, there were day beds I the front, then 1st class, then coach (or steerage), which is where I sat (in the first row, directly behind 1st class). Unfortunately, I sat directly behind a person who had their chair completely reclined during the entire flight. I was so uncomfortable and cramped, and the arm rests didn't lift in my row (like the rest of the coach section did). It was a really long flight both ways.

• In-Flight Accommodations:

The flight was okay but it just didn't feel friendly.

from West Virginia

Comments about British Airways:

I had an okay flight with this company. We flew out of the United States and had a couple layovers on our way to the United Kingdom. Our flight took about 10 or 11 hours and it was a fairly smooth flight.

I got our tickets and everyone at the airport was friendly enough. Once we were on the plane, the flight attendants seemed nice but it also seemed like a façade. Both of our flight attendants kind of seemed to have an attitude at the simplest request for a pillow or to purchase something from the beverage bar. I requested a couple drinks and they refused to sell me two alcoholic beverages at a time. I was okay with this, but when I got my second beverage, the flight attendant asked to see my ID a second time. I had to dig it back out of my carry on bag.

When my boyfriend asked if they offered any type of inflight charging cables, the flight attendant told him no in a some what rude manner. Other than our two flight attendants seeming rude and unhappy to be on the flight, everything else went smooth enough. It flight was comfortable and I was able to even catch some sleep. I just wish the ladies could have been friendlier.

Service
We got everything that we asked for, which wasn't a lot really, but the attendants didn't seem to thrilled to help out.

In-Flight Accommodations
The accommodations were okay but I could tell we upset our flight attendant when we asked for a pillow and if they offered in type of charges or headphone services. They also seemed upset that we purchased alcohol on the flight.

Great for Short Flights in Europe

from Palm Bay, FL

Comments about British Airways:

While in college, I took a flight from London to Germany when I was studying abroad on British Airways. The flights between countries in the EU are really reasonable, often a lot cheaper than driving. We ended up taking the flight and then renting a car when we got to Germany. When we boarded the plane, we actually got to go up stairs on the tarmac, like you see in movies (yes, this was post-9/11!). I took a photo, it was awesome. Our flight got delayed though after boarding, and it was about half empty, so they just started giving us tons of cookies and soda. We had a great time. Sadly, the airport in Germany ended up closing before we could fly again, so we had to exit the plane. British Airways was really nice and put us up in a hotel for the night. We then took the first flight out in the morning. I can't say I remember that one too well, but at least it was uneventful and we got to our destination on time!

Nope, never again.

Comments about British Airways:

I flew in this Airline from Asia to catch my connecting flight in Europe to USA. I was not supposed to fly with these airlines but it was due a flight cancellation that we were given seats on this plane. The plane was almost full and we did not get the desired seats. It was a sickening flight for me, got a seat in the middle row, in between the people, with no leg room, no arm movements, it felt like a bird trapped in a cage. It doesn't look courteous to disturb the fellow passengers every time you want to get out and move around, thinking the same I did not use the restroom for the first couple of hours and when I went I blacked out. It was due to non movement and sitting for a long time. It was my husband who came to look for me when I did not return to seat. I do not remember any courteous gestures from the Airline staff seeing someone has blacked out. Not even later, they could have at least offered a drink, or could have come and asked if I was feeling better but nothing. This is not what a good service is.

Great for international flights

Comments about British Airways:

I have taken several international flights on British Airways and have been impressed each time I have flown with this airline. First, I find that the flight attendants, boarding staff, and pilots are all friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. They work very hard to make sure that their customers have an enjoyable flight. There was an incident where one of the people on my flight was being loud and obnoxious during the flight. Several other passengers were alarmed by the actions of this individual and alerted the flight attendants. The staff dealt with the situation promptly and professionally and calmed the passenger down within minutes. It is clear that they are well trained in how to deal with difficult passengers and their swift and effective actions made for an enjoyable flight for the rest of the passengers on board the plane. Second, I find that the in-air accommodations are fantastic. The seats are comfortable, the plane is clean, and the food and beverage choices are fresh and delicious. Finally, flying British Airways is a very affordable experience. Their prices fit nicely with my budget and you really get a quality experience for not a lot of money out of pocket. Overall, I highly recommend this airline!