Other Flat Screen TVs:

Vizio - 42 Inch FHD HDTV

Pros

Cons

• Sound Quality:

This Vizio is a great value

We have had this Vizio tv for 2 years and have been very impressed with both its quality and affordability.  After our Sony broke down, we decided that the highest cost tv doesn't equal quality.  This Vizio was among the best priced and we have been very pleased with its quality.  The picture is very clear.  The sound is great.  It can be placed on a table or hung on the wall.  We put it on a table and it looks great.  I like the buttons on the side of the tv to turn it on/off and to change volume/channels/input.  It comes with a remote, but its very basic.  So the sole complaint I have would be to have a better remote control, maybe one that allows me to also control my satellite and dvd player.  However, I gave it 4 stars because its quality/ longevity is yet to be determined since its only been 2 years.  But we have been impressed so far and I have told my family about its quality.  I do highly recommend this tv.

It works, but it's not fantastic.

My husband bought a 42" Vizio FHD HDTV, and almost immediately I disliked it. Watching this TV was like having a permanent film over my eyes. It was pretty grainy compared to other LCD TVs and was definitely not worth paying retail for. The picture was not bright enough, nor was it very sharp, either. I found that it did not have enough hookups for our game systems, blu-ray player, and our satellite television. We always had to unplug something to use something else, which got annoying pretty quickly. If I had to do it over, I would have bought one of the more expensive TVs for a better picture quality. I was not very impressed with the sound quality, either. Half of the time the shows sounded muffled, and the other half of the time it was either too loud or way too quiet. I would not recommend this TV or any of their other products, because they just seem cheap. Don’t waste your money!

Great tv

from Utah

About Me Enthusiast

Pros

• All the connections options I could ever need
  • Easy To Set Up

Cons

Comments about Vizio - 42 Inch FHD HDTV:

Out of all the televisions that I have had, this is easily my favorite. The picture is crisp and clear in high-definition, and the color tones that come out are pleasant to look at. Some televisions can give me a headache when I look at them for too long, but I have never had that problem with this one. It offers several different connection options, including HDMI, RCA, and USB. Both our Apple tv and blu-ray/dvd player work extremely well when connected to it. We also have surround-sound speakers connected to it. Whether we play through the tv's internal speakers or through the sound system, the sound quality is extremely good. Even when watching movies that have loud bass parts in the soundtrack or loud noises in the movie, we have experienced no distortion in the sound. The internal speakers have also endured well through these loud parts of movies without being damaged.

• Was this a gift?:

Excellent TV with a few kinks.

Comments about Vizio - 42 Inch FHD HDTV:

We purchased this TV a few years ago after we got married. We had a lot of cash given to us and this was our first big purchase. It was recommended by the sales clerk at the store we shopped at. He said he owned it and it was great. We compared some prices and find the price on this to be pretty good for a flat screen television. Therefore, we purchased it and set it up. One positive thing about this television is that it is not very heavy. Therefore, it is easy to transport and move. We brought it home and set it up immediately. There are a great deal of excellent things about this flat screen television. The picture is awesome. It comes in clear and distinct. It also has internet capability on it. Therefore, we have connected our Netflix account and stream it right through the television. The only negative we have found is that about once every three or four months, it will stop responding. You cannot change the channel or even power the television off. We have to completely unplug it to get it off. Once you plug it back in, it will work fine. That is the only kink we have found so far. Overall, it is a great television and still working great after two years.

Picture Quality
      I think the picture quality is great on this.

Sound is great as well.

It works great after two years. Sometimes it freezes but it is an easy fix.

Vizio 42 inch FHD HDTV

Comments about Vizio - 42 Inch FHD HDTV:

Great TV with a top brand name Vizio TV's are some of the best TV's on the market with a great color contrast and color depth. The size of the TV is 42 inches which is a great size TV for most rooms. In my opinion I would choose this TV any day.

Picture Quality
      Super picture quality, I am able to see this TV clearly from anyone point in the room and my kids can watch still watch it from the floor without a distortion in color.

Sound Quality
      Decent sound quality on this TV, speakers are on the small side and come from the back which creates a different sound to get use too if you have not had a TV with back speakers before.

In my opinion the design of this TV is okay, I am not a very big fan of such big bezels which Vizio is known for. as for the back speakers I think they should be on the front since the bezels are big enough.

The main thing it comes down to is the performance of the TV and I have to say this TV is great performance and could not ask for a better working TV. Super great refresh rate, no blurriness when watching sport games, and awesome color depth.

Love this TV

Comments about Vizio - 42 Inch FHD HDTV:

We bought this TV 3 years ago and it has been nothing but wonderful. It has a great clear picture and it even has internet. We watch movies on it all the time and the antenna TV quality is pretty amazing. The size was perfect for our apartment and the remote control is pretty neat too. The sound is great as well. It is like we have surround sound in our little apartment. I just love this TV.

• Sound Quality:

I love vizio. Great brand.

Comments about Vizio - 42 Inch FHD HDTV:

We have had two vizio tv's now. We had this one, and recently upgraded to a 47 inch smart tv. Vizio is our number one brand now. We love these tvs. It had an excellent clear picture. Everything was clear and crisp. This tv never gave us fits at all. No problems with this brand at all. I would recommend it to anyone looking to get a new tv. It is also a lot cheaper than most other brands, but the quality isn't cheap at all. It is just as good, if not better than more expensive brands. There was only one downfall I found about it. One of my kids were tossing a phone and ended up hitting the screen. The replacement parts, well at least the replacement screen, is about impossible to find. We searched everywhere and couldn't ever find one. Other than that, which you probably wouldn't have to worry about, this tv is a great buy.

Picture Quality
      The picture is beautiful on this tv. Everything comes out very crisp and clear. Never looked fuzzy or delayed. It was always a very vivd, beautiful picture. I've seen these tvs sitting next to others that were twice the price and this tv had the better picture of them.

Sound Quality
      The sound quality is good. It is always clear. There wasn't ever any static sounding or cutting out. The sound doesn't go really high if you're looking for more of a movie theater or surround sound type this won't get crazy loud. But, it is always clear, and you can always add surround sound if you're wanting that type of sound for movies or anything like that.

It is pretty durable in most aspects. It can't hold up to a phone getting thrown at the screen, but what flat screen tv can. Other than that, this tv held up great. No problems with it at all.

I loved the design of ours. It was kind of basic without a ton of detail, but yet it wasn't tacky looking either. It is thin and sleek with the speakers built in to the bottom where they just look like it is the bottom of the tv. It isn't like some tvs out that have the outside that lights up or is really shiny or has clear around it, but it is still a nice looking tv.

It performed great. The picture quality was great, the refresh speed was good, the sound quality was always clear. This is a great quality tv for a lot cheaper than you're going to find in those other big names. But, this isn't a cheap tv that is going to give out on you in a year either. It is priced cheaper than others but the quality of it is great.

• Sound Quality:

The Most Bang For Your Buck!

from Ohio

Comments about Vizio - 42 Inch FHD HDTV:

The Vizio 42 inch FHD HDTV is an awesome buy! I am extremely glad I went with Vizio when revamping my home theater! Not only did I save big bucks but I honestly think it looks better than many flat screens I've seen priced more than twice what we paid for our Vizio. The picture is crystal clear!!! It feels even larger than 42 inches, like we're in the cinema in our living room watching our favorite movies ( you can stream with HDMI ports which is a great perk on this Vizio). Set-up was super easy too! Overall, we are very pleased with it! It is a great buy if you want a nice size HDTV! For a fraction of the cost of many out there, it packs a beautiful picture and a pretty nice sound system as well. Our friends always think we payed at least double and are shocked when they hear what a great deal we got.

Picture Quality
      HD looks great! Crystal clear, top-notch quality.

Good Sound.

Sleek and modern - love it!

Top quality at a reasonable price!!!!

Wonderful TV Amazing Picture

Comments about Vizio - 42 Inch FHD HDTV:

We have had this TV for a few years and absolutely love it! The picture is amazing and controls are all there and work well with newer technology! This really is a wonderful TV for anyone! Works really well with Netflix or what ever internet streaming source you have! Great for the entire family! TV goes from Football Saturday to Teenage Xbox game of the day to Moms love Lifetime! Wonderful Investment!

Picture Quality
      Clean and Clear Picture HD is amazing! The picture is super clear and sleek! The HD is suck a clear difference!

Sound Quality
      Sound is amazing! Super simple to hook up to surround sound in you need a little more sound!

It has held up really well in our family, which is not an easy task! There is a lot of other things that don't last as long!

Wonderful and sleek design! Fits well with any design you can come up with!

Just as expected! Wonderful! Have not had any issues what so ever! The picture and sound is just as good as the day I bought it!

It May Not Be Made in America, but it's Built the American Way

Comments about Vizio - 42 Inch FHD HDTV:

I am not the biggest TV fan in the world; but when I do watch, I like good quality. Vizio fits that bill quite well. A 42 inch TV may be "modest" by today's standards, but it fits perfectly in my living room. Save yourself a ton of cash; because, unless you're a brand snob, Vizio will do the trick.

The picture quality is fantastic. My Blu Ray movies are bright and colorful. Even my "old" DVDs seem to look better in high definition. The on board speakers are decent, but they lack bass. Sound dynamics are very important for movie watching, and a sound system would be advised to complement this TV.

In terms of design, the Vizio could use a better stand. The particular specimen I purchased, feels a little bit clumsy on the cheap plastic. Mounting the TV on a wall is pretty simple, which somewhat makes up for the low quality stand. Vizio should include a better instruction manual for people like me; who are technically impaired.

At this point, you may not consider Vizio to be a "winner". There is certainly a consolation prize however. For those of us old enough to remember, TVs used to be built like tanks (and weighed just as much). Modern goods have somewhat faltered on that standard, but Vizio keeps up the old American tradition; despite being made elsewhere.

Anyone with large dogs know they are a hazard. While I was setting this bad boy up, my dogs decided to play nearby. Sure enough, one of them slammed into the TV; knocking it to the ground. I cringed when I finally turned on the Vizio for the first time, only to discover it had survived the fall. To me, this is a major selling point; because my dogs are hard on everything in the house.

Vizio cannot be beaten on the "price to quality" ratio. In all fairness; however, you should factor in the cost of upgrading the sound when determining the overall value. I purchased my Vizio at a local store, and couldn't be happier. Go out; have fun; and watch some movies without lightening your wallet.

Picture Quality
      I was somewhat disappointed at first, discovering my friend's TV had a slightly better picture. When I saw he paid twice as much for his TV, my disappointment faded.

Sound Quality
      Not too good here guys. If Vizio would spend 25 bucks on a better speaker; and charge the customer 35 bucks more, they would make a profit; and, the TV would still be way cheaper than the competition.

Don't drive your car into the TV; or allow children to play baseball next to it, and you will be fine. Vizio can take a beating.

The TV itself is designed just as well as any other company's. A comatose florist could design a better stand though. Seriously guys?

The TV performs well.

• Sound Quality:

Big product, small price tag.

from Rome,GA

Comments about Vizio - 42 Inch FHD HDTV:

I have had my Vizio now for over a year and I can see no real picture loss I had heard so many horror stories about these televisions. I have always been one to seek the best price for any product not just electronics. One of my main points for purchasint this set was simply the size of the display. We wanted something suitable for the kids to play their super realistic video games on , and we wanted something to use for family movie night as well. The Vizio has lived up too and beyond any and all expectations I had and calmed a few fears as well. This set may not be as awe inspiring thin as some of the newer ones but, for overall value of the product it is top of the line in my opinion.

Picture Quality
      The picture quality of the Vizio is bright and clear and easy to adjust.

Sound Quality
      I would say the sound quality is very good, I often listen to the various music channels while I do various things around the house without even watching the television itself. The televisions sound is not as good as a home stereo but it is easy enough to use and sounds fair.

The set is pretty durable in my opinion as well, it has taken a few jolts during heated gaming sessions, with no ill effects. It has even at one point been bumped completely off it's base and landed on it's face, I felt sure it was done but it appeared to have no effect.

The unit has a great design it has very narrow base allowing it to sit on a very small area, the unit is fairly heavy. The Vizio also has mounting hardware built into the case allowing it to be bolted to many of the wall and pivot mounts on the market today.

Since we've had the Vizio I would say it is probably the best performing television I have had to date.

Great with minor flaws

Comments about Vizio - 42 Inch FHD HDTV:

The Tv itself is fine, and has a fairly good price. The only downside of it is that it should have more spots for rca cables and be able to be used completely by DirecTV remotes we currently have to use the remote it came with for switching modes and volume. Overall I would recommend the product if its cheap. Although not for people looking for amazing picture qualities.

Picture Quality
      Picture quality is good, looks even better with a bluray player.

Sound Quality
      Nothing amazing or bad about the sound quality, overall just your average sound. Which is fine if you don't need a fancy TV.

Nothing has gone wrong

Its fine unless you have DirecTV which is only a minor nuisance. It could also use more Rca cable spots. Although the DirecTV is a problem with all Vizio TV's.

It works well for video games, we use it for sega dreamcast, and wii. works well. We stream movies on it through the wii and it works fine. The dreamcast also looks very good on this.