Other Flat Screen TVs:

Vizio 42" 3D HDTV LCD TV E3D420VX

Pros

Cons

Makes a great gift

I have to say, this gift really landed well. I had actually saw it at first at the store and was almost in awe about the resolution it offered. That was actually a major selling point for me. My husband gets a real kick out of it every time he watches it even though he's had it for a few months. The televisions overall resolution is impressive. The colors look real. True to life color that shows especially in black, blue and red. The color and picture quality is very vivid and engaging. It has a heightened quality in comparison to normal televisions of similar type. It works well and is easy to use which, was something I was concerned about. The actual cost of the television based on quality was quite minimal when I consider how well it works and the quality of the picture color and overall function. It is easy to program and the remote is entirely functional. It doesn't stick or do double flashing without having the ability to turn the channel. The television volume is of quality range as well. Although, I wish I could put a cap on how high my family members can actually turn it up though. The actual design of the television and remote is nothing out of the ordinary. Pretty much the same as most other flat screens. It's overall weight was a bit less than I had expected it to be. Although I don't want you to get me wrong by thinking it is totally light, it's not. Overall, I am happy with my decision to buy it for him. I would recommend it most for the movie or sports fanatic.

True to life quality

Very nice television

A budget 3DTV that performs well, but falls short in a few areas

The Vizio 42" 3DTV is a budget-friendly TV that does provide a lot of bang-for-the-buck. The dimensions and thickness of the TV are on par with most other manufacturers of flat-screen TVs. The picture is crisp and clear, the colors are accurate and vibrant. Blacks appear black and are not washed out like many other displays.

The passive 3D does indeed work, but I have a few minor issues with the television in this regard. First and foremost, the 3D content available at the writing of this review (12/12/13) really does not test the limits of the 3D medium. Extra depth in scenes is certainly noticeable, but the "pop-out" effect that most people desire is just not present in most films at the moment. My other main concern is the size of the display in regard to the 3D content. Unless you are very close to the TV, the "pop-out" effects that do exist will not be noticed. A larger screen is necessary to get the full immersive effects that most people desire.

It is an internet-enabled TV with both WiFi and ethernet connections available. While these options make it convenient, I have found the interface and apps to be clunky and unreliable at best. If you are looking for something with Smart TV capabilities, I would not suggest this TV based on that criteria alone.

If you get this television, understand that the 3D will be limited and the internet connected applications will not be easily navigated. The display is great, as an all-around TV it is great, but it falls short on its list of "features".

Makes a great gift

from Syracuse, New York

True to life quality

Very nice television

A budget 3DTV that performs well, but falls short in a few areas

Vizio 42" beauty

from Stevens Point, Wisconsin

Comments about Vizio 42" 3D HDTV LCD TV E3D420VX:

This TV is by far my favorite in the Vizio's that I've had in the past. Perfect for just watching the football game or satisfying your gaming needs.

Picture Quality
This is easily one of the prettiest and pixel free TV's I've laid my eyes on in a while. Getting one for my living room at home has definitely brought my family together by being able to enjoy such a nice picture. It really brings out whatever you're watching, making it much mor enjoyable.

Sound Quality
I can't find much to complain about here. I've got mine hooked up to surround sound, but before I hooked it up the sound quality is pretty solid.

It's held up for the past few weeks we've had it, so not much else I can say here.

I really enjoy the ease of the button layout. It's easy to navigate, even in the dark. Compared to some of the other Vizio TV's, this is by far a step up.

The performance is really good. I don't have to sit around waiting 20 or more seconds for it to turn on, so thats a huge plus for me. It changes channels and everything at good speeds, which is essential for my family and myself.

Great picture and sound

Comments about Vizio 42" 3D HDTV LCD TV E3D420VX:

It's a great in home viewing experience for people on a budget.

Picture Quality
It's not Top of the line, but it still has a great quality picture. Do not expect plasma or 3D quality, but is great for regular people who don't want to break the bank just to watch their favorite shows!

Sound Quality
It's got great sound on it's own, but It can always be be hooked up to your favorite surround sound system to make it even better. My house is small, so I don't require a great deal of volume, however, if this TV is playing in the front of my house it easily gets loud enough to hear in the back!

No TV is super durable, but I have found that it has survived several attacks from my cat as well as several bumps and scraped from my clumbsyness! It has never been knocked completely off the TV stand, but it has been pushed around a lot.

It's a nice size and shape, however it is a bit on the heavy side. If you aren't planning on moving it much, this is not a problem. However, I do recommend investing in a sturdy TV stand. It's weight is pretty balanced, so it is sturdy on it's pedestal.

I enjoy using this TV for my daily shows and the occasional movie. I think the picture is nice, and the sound is of a good quality.

My kids favorite tv.

from Springdale, UT

Comments about Vizio 42" 3D HDTV LCD TV E3D420VX:

This is the most interactive flat screen television I have ever watched.The 3D setting is hands down the best part.I love getting that feature in one of the more economical brands of flat screens.The color is amazing and the picture very vivid.These two qualities make the movie come to life and make it so much more enjoyable watching movies.My large family with all small kids looks forward to weekly movie night because of this.It is a treat to watch 3D movies with it.The sound adds to the experience by being so crisp and realistic that it sounds like a surround sound system.The only downside to this television set is the size of the actual screen.It is definitely on the smaller side for flat screens.The WiFi connectivity is great on this one.It never drops and the speeds don't drag.I could easily use this as a replacement for everyday surfing and checking email.

• Sound Quality:

Great for movies with the family

Comments about Vizio 42" 3D HDTV LCD TV E3D420VX:

This is the first 3d TV that I bought this year. I previously owned an lcd TV before this one. When I received it I was very happy with the picture and the richness of the colors. When I want to watch a 3d TV the view is exceptional. My family really enjoys renting 3d movies and watching them on my 3d tv. I have always thought that Vizio is a great brand for electronics. I was not disappointed. I love watching my satellite channels on this television. The channels look crisp and beautiful.

Picture Quality
The quality is great. As some say you get what you pay. Although this is not a cheap TV, this is well worth it.

Sound Quality
I really like that I do not have to turn the volume up very much to hear it nice and clear. The lcd TV that I previously owned was not that great. I had to really turn up the volume to hear what was being said on different channels.

I have had no problems with my TV. I take really good care of it.

The design is very sleek and contemporary. I like that it is not too thick.

Everything works great.

Great TV for family room

from Columbus, OH

Comments about Vizio 42" 3D HDTV LCD TV E3D420VX:

I just can't find nothing negative to say about this television. We have it in our living room, the main room the whole family watches shows and movies. I already owned a Vizio 27 inch television for my bedroom and love it, so I knew if I was going to invest a large amount of money on a television that has a large screen and is 3-D capable, it would have to be a Vizio. It is practically ready to go out of the box, you only have to follow a few short steps then it's ready to go. And it looks great set on the manufacturer's settings. It's surprisingly light to handle for its size also. I was able to take it out of the box and set it up myself and I'm only 130 pounds. It's an amazing television, you will definitely have no regrets. Customer service with Vizio is also great, they are knowledgeable and happy to answer any questions. The 3-D looks amazing and really add excitement to family movie night.

We like Vizio TVs

from Flint, TX

Comments about Vizio 42" 3D HDTV LCD TV E3D420VX:

We've had Vizio televisions for more than 10 years and have enjoyed each of them. When we are in the market for a new television, we look for the Vizio brand first and compare others to them. We've had our 42 inch HDTV LCD for at least 10 years and have had very little problems with it. We selected it because it was the perfect size for the locations that we needed it but most of all, it had the best picture of all that we looked at on the floor of the store. We have had one small problem that we have not been able to work out - sometimes it just goes off by itself, mainly right after you turn it on. Almost like it didn't get a good connect when we pushed the remote. Someone said it could have something to do with the timer but we have never set the timer. It also happens sometimes when we are in the middle of a movie when the tv has been on for hours. We just turn it back on and keep watching. It is not a big enough problem that we will give up our tv for service. We have a smaller Vizio in the bedroom which has not done that, in fact, no problems at all. We will keep buying Vizios!

Great TV

Comments about Vizio 42" 3D HDTV LCD TV E3D420VX:

This is a nice television with some handy features. The ability to watch Netflix wirelessly right from my television is very convenient. I have not used the 3D feature so I cannot comment on that. I have tried the Facebook app just to see how it works and it is okay, but definitely not nearly as good as using doing it on my computer or phone. The feature that I like best is common on televisions, but the sleep function is very nice. When I cannot sleep, I turn the television on and fall asleep to something on Netflix. I like that I can set the tv to shut off after a prescribed amount of time has passed.

The only negative for me is how long the tv takes to boot up when you first turn it on. It probably only takes about 20 seconds to turn on, but I grew up with televisions that turned on instantly so this is annoying to me.

Picture Quality
The picture quality looks great. I have not noticed any issues since we bought it when it came out.

Only knocked down because of how long it takes to boot.

Great Viewing Experience

Comments about Vizio 42" 3D HDTV LCD TV E3D420VX:

This TV is great for watching TV, especially if programming is available in high definition. The apps are another plus. I frequently use Netflix and some of the other apps. However I would like the apps to be updated and a larger variety of apps or maybe an app store. The lack of an app store is disappointing. As far as the 3-d function, I have only tested it once or twice but have not used it to watch any programs or movies. The picture quality is great and I really enjoy watching tv.
The remote control is my biggest problem because it does not work fast and the buttons must be pressed more than once.

Picture Quality
Colors look rich and the picture is clear and defined. Menu options allow you to play around with preferences. There are also, zoom, wide and other options.

Sound Quality
The sound is also clear and there are different options to adjust it.

So far I have not encountered any problems with this tv. I have owned it for about two years.

The design looks good but I would like it better if it were slimmer. The thick borders take away from the overall look

the Tv takes a little while to start up. My biggest complaint is the control remote. It is very annoying and when you press buttons the changes do not take effect intermediately, especially if you are far from the tv. A button must be pressed several times, or pointed to the side of the tv for it to work correctly.