Other Flat Screen TVs:

Vizio - 26 in. HDTV

Pros

Cons

Vizio VA26L, great TV on a budget

When I was looking for budget dorm-room TVs, this model caught my eye.  I couldn't decide between this or it's smaller 22" sibling, but decided that the slight extra cost was worth it.  I'm glad I went this way.

The picture on this TV is amazingly clear, especially on HD channels.  Even non-HD channels look pretty good for a HDTV which has to deal with stretching and scaling.  The inputs are sufficient for most uses, but are placed pretty awkwardly.  Not only can it be difficult to plug things in, just figuring out which plug is which requires just about turning the TV upside-down.  That's not fun or easy to use!   And it can be dangerous!

Sound is average, not great and not awful.  Most people won't use a speaker system with this TV, but it'll also satisfy the needs of most people.

There's one feature that many new TVs have that this one doesn't, and I feel like it's becoming prevalent for a reason.  With so many digital channels available (often with nothing of value on many), a lot of TV manufacturers are programming "favorite" channel lists in.  This is nothing new, but it makes sense to use now more than ever.  I don't want to scroll past half a dozen public-access channels to get between two adjacent analog channels!  I wish you could do something that wasn't as drastic as leaving the channels off of your list, because you never know when you might be bored enough to want to scroll past.  It's just a pain to deal with when you aren't at that point and know they won't have what you want.

Amazingly, other people have had the same remote issues as me!  I figured mine might have been a problem with having been dropped more than once, but maybe it's just the remote.  Either way, it still works well enough so I can't complain too much.

Vizio makes fantastic budget TVs that show great picture and look decent in a room.  The glossy bezel collects dust like you wouldn't believe, so keep a cloth handy when you need it.  Also, be prepared for a glowing orange "VIZIO" logo when it's off.  It doesn't bother me... but just know that it's there!

What you get is what you pay for

What you get is what you pay for.

What you get is what you pay for.

The entire purpose behind Vizio was to pump out as many flat screen telelvisions as cheaply as possible. Of course, much of the savings would be passed onto the consumer, but with any cheap product, there are drawbacks.

With my Vizio flatscreen, there were two problems. One is that the laptop/computer connection no longer worked. This was a big blow to our enjoyment of our Vizio flatscreen, because as a household we don't really watch too much television. We do watch a lot of "internet television," as one might call it. Youtube, webisodes, hulu.com, etc etc etc. And it's not even that the connection doesn't entirely work - it's just that everything is in GREEN when we plug in our laptops and see what's on the screen. And no, it's not the computer or the connection's fault.

The second problem is that video games lag behind. It's half a second, making video game play an often frustrating experience. We have a wii, which requires more real-time movement, and you can imagine how terrible it can be.

You get what you pay for with Vizio. Go buy a namebrand, it'll last you longer. Mind you that the first problem happen literally a month after the warranty expired. Terrific.

Great value

Comments about Vizio - 26 in. HDTV:

This television has a lot going for it because the HDTV capability, HDMI interface, and overall user friendliness are each a huge 'plus' and this model has all of these. The color is great and you can adjust for different settings to amp contrast if you're watching by day, etc. The HD picture is great and the remote is extremely easy to navigate. Setup and syncing with cable channels is a breeze as well. Vizio does a great job writing easy-to-read manuals. Watching sports on this model is great because the clarity and contrast are great and you can stream from the internet so no matter whether you're rooting for a local team or sports franchises, schools, teams, etc far away, this is a great tv to watch games on. The navigation through tv channels doesn't always populate with descriptions right away, but this may be a function of the cable box rather than the TV itself. I'm not sure whether others have had the same issue with the display populating itself with descriptions slowly. The volume range is great and it really does it all in terms of avid TV watchers (on TV or online). Great buy and a really great value.

Sound Quality
Speakers are great but sound is improved by adding supplemental speakers.

Good value!

Comments about Vizio - 26 in. HDTV:

This tv was affordable and space efficient for our home. It is big enough and provides quality picture w/o making images look distorted or unnatural. We have only Vizio tvs (5) of various sizes in our house b/c it is such a good value and quality. It is a trusted brand. It is durable and functional. Makes good tv w/o being pretentious or costly. Again, excellent value. Highly recommend!

Starts out great...

Comments about Vizio - 26 in. HDTV:

I was so excited to get my new 26" Vizio flat screen television as I transitioned from my old bulky 22" television. It started out as a sleek, shiny, great looking television which I was proud to own. About a year into my ownership(just shortly before the manufacturer's warranty would run out) the television started developing a few colorful vertical lines, but they would go away after about thirty minutes of the television being on so I didn't think much of it. I called about getting it repaired, but they wanted me to ship it and pay the shipping, so I decided to live with it because I had purchased an additional 2 year warranty. As time went on more and more lines appeared and eventually( just short of 3 years ownership) they covered half of the screen and didn't go away after any amount of time. I called and the store provided warranty program sent a prepaid label and box to send it in for repairs. It came back like new, but I have since purchased a different television so I can't say much about the longevity of the repairs. It was a great television before it started with the lines, but I'd advise you to spend a little more money on a different brand.

• Sound Quality:

Good TV, but there are better out there...

from Pittsburgh, PA

Comments about Vizio - 26 in. HDTV:

My Vizio 26 inch flat screen TV falls into the "good," but not "great," category. We received the TV as a Christmas gift from my parents, and it is wonderful to have, but perhaps not what we would have picked out ourselves. Having said that, it is ideal in our guest bedroom. The size is perfect for this sort of space, and the TV sits perfectly on a dresser. It is nice and thin/light, and the screen is very good as well. It seems to take longer to warm up/turn on than our other flat screen, but this is more of an observation than a complaint. Really, our only complaint with the machine is that we have not been impressed with the sound. It just isn't great overall, and it seems extremely loud to us (ex: the TV volume goes up to 100, but we never have it higher than 2 or 3, often we leave it on 1!). As you turn the volume up it sounds worse, in our opinion. For the price (from what I've seen), it is still a good TV, just not great for movie watching or family rooms. In a guest bedroom or other small space where not a ton of TV is watched, it fits the bill.

• Sound Quality:

Great TV. Close to the best i've owned, but not quite there!

from Ardmore, OK

Comments about Vizio - 26 in. HDTV:

As the title states, this is a fantastic TV. I also own a Sony Bravia and I believe that the Sony has better sound. The picture quality does look the same on the two TVs, but as stated the audio is a little lacking. The size of this TV is great. This 26" fits perfectly in my bedroom and it does look truly amazing. The price was great on this unit and the quality for price is great.

The connector placement seems fine on this unit. There is plenty of space on the back and I have had no issues connecting multiple HD devices (HDMI, pc, component). Also, this unit is pretty thin. Overall i'm excited about the purchase of this unit and I look forward to owning more Vizio TVs in the future.

I think some of the other reviews suggest that there is a Wavy Picture or a "picture is not that good" have a bad source of video or a bad cable. Possibly a faulty TV (but who knows). I wouldn't take those reviews seriously, as reviews based on faulty units shouldn't even be considered "reviews"

• Sound Quality:

Get a lot of bang for your buck on this vizio flat screen

from Yakima, WA

Comments about Vizio - 26 in. HDTV:

I bought the Vizio HDTV 26 inch for our family for Christmas this year. My husband had been wanting a flat screen TV for years now but was just not in our budget. This year found this TV on a great sale online and had some gift cards so decided to use them to get this for our family. We live in a smaller duplex and it is the perfect size for our living room. I found out after researching this Vizio TV that there are often a little larger televisions advertised for great prices but the quality is not as good. This was a little smaller TV that I originally was hoping to get but found that it was worth the little smaller size to have the much better quality and picture this Vizio HDTV offers. It was well worth the money and the whole family was so excited on Christmas morning to have a new Television.

Great little TV

from Lakeville, MN

Comments about Vizio - 26 in. HDTV:

We received this TV as Christmas gift to use in our master bedroom after our old tube style TV started to fail. I could not believe how sleek and light it was. Was so easy to assemble (simply pop on the stand) and set up. It was working in no time. The picture is awesome and very clear and crisp.

What I don't like about this Visio television has to so with the sound. The small speakers don't' seem to give off very clear sound but even more of a challenge is that the remote control doesn't seem to read very easily across a not very big bedroom. Half the time you push the volume button and nothing happens. It doens't seem to "bump" up volume in little increments. I find that at one volume setting I can't hear but the next "step" up is too loud.

Makes watching TV in bed a delight!

from Kalamazoo, MI

Comments about Vizio - 26 in. HDTV:

We purchased this t.v. to replace our old bedroom television. We wanted a flat screen that had a good picture but wasn't too expensive or take up too much of the dresser. This one really met our needs! Nice picture, very clear, and the price was right!

This Vizio VA26L is awesome!

from Nashua, NH

Comments about Vizio - 26 in. HDTV:

I absolutely loooooove this television. It's my first HDTV and I cannot believe the difference between this and my old cable tv. My old TV was only about 4 years old so it wasn't ancient, but the improvements in television is amazing.The picture is so clear and the sound quality is great. The television wasn't too hard to set up, all you needed was a screwdriver and an extra pair of hands. Batteries were included with the remote which was great! There's red/white/yellow connectors on the left side of the television, which is awesome. The cable is on the back like all televisions. There's also an HDMI cable if you wanna connect with that. The colors on the television were awesome and I didn't have to adjust them at all. The television is sort of small, but I didn't want to spend more money on a larger television. I use this television in my room and I sit pretty close to it. I wouldn't recommend this size television for a living room unless it's tiny or you sit close to the television.

Great little TV

from Warrensburg, MO

Comments about Vizio - 26 in. HDTV:

It is easy to see why this company is getting noticed.  They make a quality product that is comparable to the big name brands.  We bought a 26" to replace our old downstairs tv that died.  We chose Vizio because my daughter and son-in-law had recently purchased a much bigger version.  I was totally impressed with theirs.  I love the color and sound on my Vizio. The installation was a piece of cake.  I keep hoping that our big old tube televison upstairs will die, so I can upgrade it to a Vizio as well. It is easy to see why review after review gives this brand high marks.  The only problem I have noticed so far is that my small television is up on a table.  If I sit on the floor to be with my dog, the view is not as clear as if I am sitting on the couch.  Granted, it is a small tv.  I did not have this problem when sitting on the floor at my daughter's house watching their much larger Vizio.