3.7

• Coverage:
    • Plan Options:
    • Features:
    • Customer Service:

No contracts, no commitments, just great service

I was once a fan of Tracfone prepaid service, and our family used Tracfones in place of paying for a monthly cell phone service.  We were happy with it, but the quality of the phones were a little poor.  On a shopping trip to Walmart, I stumbled across a new prepaid phone system by Verizon.  Right away I noticed that the cell phones looked like something that you would select at a regular store, and had much nicer features than anything that I had seen available through Tracfone.

The price was fair, I think we paid less than $ 40.00 for a phone for my 13 year old son.  The phone was a Samsung U350 camera phone and had texting ability as well as calling.  It was Bluetooth enabled, but I am not familiar with that feature and it was not something I planned on using, or allowing my son to use.  My son was pleased with the way the phone looked, and thought that none of his friends would know that it wasn't a "real" cell phone.  (Whatever that means)

When we opened up the bundle, it came with $ 10.00 worth of cell phone time, the Verizon pay as you go phone, a home charger, a car charger, and an instruction manual.  There was a code that you had to enter online at the Verizon website, which activate the cell phone.  We were provided with the cell phone number, and the minutes were delivered to the phone immediately.  Once you register online, you will not have to add your minutes in through your computer.  You will simply buy go to any department store, pharmacy, or even grocery store, and pick up additional minutes.  (They come on what looks like a credit card and you select how much time you want to buy in dollar increments)

What makes the Verizon pay as you go phone different than other prepaid cell phone plans that I've seen, is that you get to select your plan.  With Tracfone, we paid for how many minutes we used.  However, with Verizon, you only pay for the days that you use the phone.  They have many plans to select from, and here is a brief description of the prepaid plans that are offered by Verizon:

-  Prepaid unlimited Talk - Offers unlimited domestic voice calling to anyone on any network and 1¢ text messaging.

- Prepaid Plus - Get unlimited mobile to mobile calling and Night Minutes. (Includes UNLIMITED WEEKENDS)

- Prepaid Core - Offers the lowest price with daily access.  Comes with unlimited mobile to mobile calling.

- Prepaid Basic - Pay one flat rate for all voice calls.

If you are considering buying a cell phone for your tween or teen, or if you are someone who likes to text instead of talk, you definitely want to get a cell phone that allows texting.  Teens in particular need this feature because they don't "talk" on the phone anymore.  They ALL text each other, and they do it all day every day!  We may not understand it, but it is very popular for them.

Now, if you want to be able to download ringtones, backgrounds and wallpapers, and so on, you can get all of that at the Verizon website.  They have a big selection of that type of thing.  The good thing about using their website is that you know it is safe and reliable, and it anything you get from them will work on your cell phone.

My son enjoys his Verizon pay as you go phone very much.  It has a camera built into the cell phone, and if we paid for the service, he could send photos back and forth to friends, but it is not something I am willing to pay for.  Verizon offers cell phones through their pay as you go service with full keyboards, internet accessibility, bluetooth, texting, walkie-talkie features, and much more.  Virtually anything you want in a regular cell phone can be purchased through Verizon pay as you go.  I have found that the Verizon website has the best selection of cell phones for "techies" so look there if this applies to you.

Now, let me make it clear that I am an IDIOT when it comes to electronics and gadgets.  I am hopelessly confused with how to set things up or install something new.  But even though I am a novice, I was able to set up my son's Verizon pay as you go cell phone myself.  There was literally nothing to it.  Take the phone out of the box, charge it up, log onto the computer and punch in the information, and that is it.  I was even able to add the new contact information myself once everything was set.  If you think you may need help with this process, the phone comes with an easy to understand manual.

**Bottom Line** - I highly recommend Verizon pay as you go plans.  The phones are great, the service is reliable, and the features are top notch.  The best part of all is that there are NO CONTRACTS!  If your minutes run out, and you don't add more, you'll get an email from Verizon informing you of how long you have before you lose your number.  All you do is buy more minutes and add them.  It's a great choice for people like me that don't talk on their cell phone often, or for teens (like my son) because I don't want him to be tied down to a contract.

VZ does not recognize long term customers

I use a cell for business and personal purposes. I have been a longterm customer of Verizon. Recently, I questioned the manner in which family plan minutes were calculated. Interestingly the calculations are not available to me, the customer, during the billing cycle, but are calculated after the cycle. In addition, the calculations do not include simultaneous minutes, but only one of the phones has added minutes and the secondary line is not added. The secondary's per minute costs are significantly higher than the primary line.

VZ also knew that there was a potential minute overage and did nothing to notify me. They send me other trash messages via text, but did not inform me of this problem.

I contacted them to reconcile the charges and was told there is nothing that could be done. I have recommended VZ to most of my associates over the years. My recommendation now is to jump ship and leave VZ -- they do not respect their customer base.

Great network and great calling anywhere

from Milwaukee

Comments about Verizon Wireless Network:

I like my Verizon phone service. I can make calls in all the places I couldn't with a AT&T phone. My son had a Sprint phone from work. Says it was horrible. He couldn't make calls inside his apartment. He switched to Verizon. Now he says he has great calling etc.

GREAT SERVICE!

from Toronto, Ontario

Comments about Verizon Wireless Network:

I love it here with Verizon. They have been able to get my phone needs taken care of. No more dropped phone calls or delayed texts. Both issues I have dealt with in the past with other phone companies. The call quality is excellent and they have always been able to find solutions to my issues promptly. The only downside with Verizon is that they are one of the more expensive companies. But you have to remember, you get what you pay for!

Consistently Overcharged

from Provo, Ut

Comments about Verizon Wireless Network:

I was a Verizon customer for many years. The coverage was good in most places. The problem I had with Verizon was that every time we had to modify or plan, we were quoted what the price would be, but every time the next bill arrived it was for considerably more than what we had been quoted. We have 6 phones on our plan, so we changed plans numerous times as we added phones. Every time this happened we spent hours on the phone and in the local verizon store sorting things out. The last straw was when they would not honor a 2 for 1 offer for a new Samsung phone. My wife spent literally at least 20 hours on the phone and in the Verizon store trying to resolve it. At least three people promised the problem was resolved, but each time we got a rejection letter in the mail. We finally got the credit months after it was promised, but Verizon'store consistent dishonest became too much. I switched carriers lay week. Good riddance to Verizon.

Terrible Verizon coverage

from Portsmouth NH

Comments about Verizon Wireless Network:

I was always very satisfied with Verizon until about 4 weeks ago. Our signal strength dropped from 4 bars to one. After 7 years at this location, we are unable to utilize phones at home. Not one phone, it impacts our family, all neighbors on Verizon and even cell use while at work less than a mile away. Again, THIS HAD NOT BEEN A PROBLEM UNTIL 4 WEEKS AGO. Have devoted a lot of time talking to Verizon reps who are mostly pleasant can't solve. It is obviously a tower signal issue. Many of us are about to drop Verizon in favor of AT&T. Why pay for service that drops EVERY call. Unacceptable. Reps don't return calls as promised and messages promise update in 24 or 48 hours and that never happens.

Great Service

from Murfreesboro, NC

Comments about Verizon Wireless Network:

I love verizon network and service. I almost never drop calls or lose signals. My biggest problem with them is the cost. They are fairly higher than the other companies I have been with. I guess the advantage is great service. I very rarely, if any have any problems with my service.

Too expensive

from Ky

Comments about Verizon Wireless Network:

This is cell phone..company, great service but over priced.

Best network ever!

from Mayville, MI

Comments about Verizon Wireless Network:

We have been Verizon customers for years and love the service, we live in an area of Michigan where its hard to get reception for most cell phone companies, but out verizon phones work great!!

I really like verizon

from Newport News Virginia 23601

Comments about Verizon Wireless Network:

Verizon goes world wide, I have prepaid phone, and I like it very much, and when i go out of town, my services goes with me, at lot of these wireless phone companies, can't say they

"Family Base" control plan sucks

from Indiana

Comments about Verizon Wireless Network:

Overall I like Verizon though it is expensive (I would rate it a 4 stars). But the Family Base call blocker plan is about useless (I would rate it 0 stars).
I am a Verizon subscriber with six phones on my plan. I wanted to control some functions of the kids phones and Family Base seemed to be the way to do it. Blocking numbers doesn't work if you are using iMessage. Blocking numbers automatically sends messages to the people trying to send a message to a blocked number.
Why the heck would you want to broadcast that you have blocked a number?

The worst carrie and the worst customer service

from Loveland, OH

Comments about Verizon Wireless Network:

Went to the store and asked about their internet services. Without any explanation how it works, the representative assured their internet is the best, and offered to purchase 12 GB. Stated it would be plenty to use for computer at home for whole month. For some reason these 12 GB were divided between internet for the computer and existing cell phones data. Also I was assured that the first month for internet services will be FOR FREE. 3 days after signing contract and purchasing services, these 12 GB just melted between cell phones, computer and smart tv. I received couple notifications I overused the data. Didn't worry a lot, because was sure it's for free. Thinking how quickly we used data, I decided right away this internet is worthless for us, and went ahead to the store asking to cancel internet services. Even after just 3 days of usage, I paid cancellation fee and returned back all internet devices. Month later when I got bill from Verizon, my cell phone plan was messed up. Instead my regular 6 GB I still had 12 GB from internet service. It was fixed up. Few days later I received another bill $450! Couldn't understand for what. I called customer service number. They explained it's for my internet data overuse!!! I tried to tell them I WAS TOLD BEFORE SIGNING CONTRACT THE FIRST MONTH WILL BE FREE. Got the answer that the service was free, not overuse. If they would explain me before signing the contract, it wouldn't happen. I tried to explain to them it's not my fault because nobody explained to me that, they said they understand, but I need to pay for it anyway. So, if I would be keeping this internet for whole month instead 3 days, how much I would need to pay then? They didn't even care I stopped the service voluntary! I asked for the credit back because it wasn't my fault, they told the manager will call me back on the certain day and time, but I didn't here anything from them so far... I will never recommend to anybody to have any services from Verizon.