3.6

3.6

Pros

Cons

• Customer Service:

The least expensive cell phone we could have.

We have been Tracfone customers for over six years now.  We bought our first phones when I was pregnant with our oldest child, because I wanted a way to reach my husband in case of emergency.  At that point, we weren't ready to leap into a full cell phone plan, when we weren't sure if we'd ever use the phones, so Tracfone was perfect.  The price was right, the phones worked well, and they gave us what we needed -- a way to make a phone call wherever we happened to be.Every now and then we'll have the conversation -- "Are we missing out on something by not having phones through _____ (fill in the blank with a wireless carrier)?"  The last time we had that conversation, I figured out that we, for two phones, are paying on average $25 a month.  That's for just making regular phone calls, although I have recently branched out to texting.  I don't think there's a plan out there that we can get for two phones for $25 a month.In my heart of hearts I would love to have an iPhone, with web browsing, music, etc., etc., all on one device.  However, I know that it will be a long time before I make that leap.  We really do get what we need -- dependable phone calls -- from Tracfone.What you need to know: you have to buy the phone -- buy the best you can afford.  Target (and probably other retailers) often has them on sale.  When you're buying time, the more you buy at once, the less expensive it is.  Before you purchase, search the web for promotion codes, which can get you extra time for free.  You can upgrade phones and keep your phone number and your credits if you call customer service.  Customer service can be annoying (they have to repeat everything you say), and I strongly discourage using them for buying minutes, but they've proven to be very helpful when I've needed help with other things.

Adding Minutes To TracFone Was Worse Than Pulling Teeth!

My mother insisted on getting a **TracFone** a couple of years ago against my advice and the advice of my three siblings. I told her I would add her to my Verizon plan, get her a good phone, and she wouldn't have to worry about running out of minutes and such. She doesn't even have a computer so I knew it would be up to me to help her add minutes and take care of any problems that may occur. Well, she wouldn't listen to me and brothers, sister, and she bought the TracFone from Wal-Mart, anyway.

All was okay in the beginning. The salesperson at Wal-Mart helped mom purchase minutes and showed her the basics of how to use a cell phone. Mom was happy and since mom was happy, so was I.

The problems first started about two weeks after mom bought the phone when she couldn't figure out how to set up her voice mailbox. She came to my house with the phone and asked me to help her. I don't claim to be a genius, but I have had various cell phones myself, for many years now and so have my husband and 3 of my sons. I KNOW how to set up a voice mail box and record a voice mail message, but I could not do it to save my life on that TracFone! I even called their Customer Service and someone I could barely understand tried to help me set it up--he couldn't get it to work, either. He transferred me to another CSR. That CSR transferred me to another CSR. 3 TracFone Customer Service Reps and 2 hours later, nothing had been accomplished and mom was as frustrated as I was, and ready to go home, so I hung up and she never had a voice mailbox on that phone.

Eventually it came time to add minutes to mom's TracFone. That went about as well as the disaster with the voice mailbox fiasco. I set up an account for her on my computer, using my email address so I could take care of everything for her, and thought it would be so simple to add minutes to the phone. NOT!!!

The website wouldn't accept the registration numbers on the phone and I was unable to add minutes using the website. I was given error messages that said to call their Customer Service for help. Of course I had to hold for 20 minutes and listen to an automated recording telling me how simple it would be to add minutes to the phone using their website. That infuriated me even more. I did finally add the minutes for mom with the help of the CSR but it was a pain and it took over 30 or 45 minutes!

Each time mom needed minutes added, she came to me, and I would try using their website, and each time it failed. I had to call to get minutes added about 5 times before I finally convinced my mom to let me add her to our plan and get a real cell phone.

It should have been so simple to add minutes to the phone and set up a voice mail on the phone, but it wasn't. It was much more of a hassle than it was it worth!

Very poor Customer Service and not being able to use TracFone's Website for simple things equals a poor, 1 star rating for TracFone, in my opinion. Others may have had better experiences with TracFone, but I would NEVER recommend a TracFone based on my experiences with trying to use their website and with my experiences talking to their Customer Service Reps. What a hassle! I get a headache just thinking about it!

Call Quality
The call quality was never a problem with this phone. My mother never mentioned having problems with calls dropping or "dead areas" and I could always hear her just fine when we were talking while she was using the phone.

Coverage
No problems with losing calls or not being able to use the phone in certain areas.

Plan Options
Having to keep track of how many minutes you have left before you have to purchase more minutes is a pain. You can buy one of several amounts of minutes, but eventually you're going to have to add more minutes, and that's aggravating to have to worry or think about. I definitely prefer not having to worry about minutes running out before I can think to buy more!

Features
The only feature this phone offered was texting and talking. It was a very basic cell phone, to say the least.

Customer Service
Possibly the worst Customer Service Representatives I have ever had to deal with! I could barely understand any of them PLUS...three different CSRs on 3 separate occasions were not even able to help me set up my mom's voice mailbox. That's ridiculous and I'm so glad I don't have to deal with them anymore!

The truth

from Florida

Comments about TracFone Wireless:

I have had tracfones.. The first triple minute touch screen lg or so. The phone kept shutting off calls. Did NOT work. I had other tracfones and used Chat to transfer numbers, thank GOD! Mom said to stop wasting your time with this Sh&&^TR company. I got bad reception and lousy moments. The 1-800 number was screwed up as well. Speak English, people! I have an 'fake' android phone with tiny screen tracfone. Can't hardly press the buttons and hear with it. I use it to mess around with now. My new provider is consumercellular, build-a-phone/plan.
This is the truth of tracfone. Safelink as well. I hated using a card and type the air time on the prepaid menu. I needed an app called Tracfoneapp I can't think of it. I live near a cell phone tower and got a bar or two. Please don't waste your time AND money with this awful company!

Good Service bad Value

from Mount Carbon, WV

Comments about TracFone Wireless:

The service is great and picks up in most places. The down side is the price of the minutes is very high. This is not a phone for everyday use if you use your cell phone all the time. Its a great emergency phone to keep on had. The minutes roll over which is a plus. I keep mine in the car in case I forget my cell phone or if I dont have service on my regular phone.

Good phone fair price

from Marysville WA

Comments about TracFone Wireless:

Got my son a trac for his first phone it's held up great and I don't have to worry about a high bill which is awesome for me.

Tracfone Works For Me.

from Way Out In The Boonies

Comments about TracFone Wireless:

Located in a rural area, I carry both a gsm & a cdma tracfone. Have not had a landline for going on 6 years. Very happy with the service. Recently updated my gsm phone & wanted to keep my old number & minutes & service days. I called customer service & got everything switched over to the new phone. It took about 10 minutes to do the switch. My new phone was activated & working within 1 hour. I like flip phones so that's what I carry. I buy my airtime cards locally. No bills in the mail & keeps me in charge of my phone costs.

TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE

from Bay Area, CA

Comments about TracFone Wireless:

I purchased a Trafone for my daughter to call me after-school daily. No problems 1st year so I added another 2 yrs and more minutes. After 6 months into my 2nd year, the phone service died. I called Trafone on 4/10/2015 (spent 40 mins) and they can't seem to find out what's wrong. They told me they re-coded the phone and wait 24-72 hrs. After 72 hrs, phone is still dead. I called Trafone on 4/12/2015 (spent 50 mins) and they tried re-coding, tried to get a supervisor. I was transferred to the "Super" Technical Support and was told that they'll send a replacement phone to resolve the issue. Received the phone 4/17/2015 - charged for 24 hrs. I was out of town and called 4/21/2015 (spent 54 mins). There were problems transferring acct minutes from old phone... My acct was deducted 120 mins. The rep tried to get a Supervisor but none available. She re-coded the new phone and asked wait 24 hrs and call "*22890"... On 4/23/2015, called Tracfone again b/c I'm still short 120 minutes. Crystal, a Manager, assisted and she was able credit my lost 120 minutes. FINALLY, from 4/10-4/23, 13 days to resolve this issue. I asked Crystal if Tracfone would provide "anything" to me for my 13 days of no service and over 3 hours of my time. She informed me that she was a "manager" and that Tracfone would not provide anything in addition. I've already received "3 days extension" to my account for their coding efforts. I explained that I've been very patient w/Tracfone and a loyal customer. Surely 13 days and over 3 hrs with Cust Service deserves an "apology" or a cheap pen or post-it note... Gosh, Crystal threw back at my face that my phone was over a year old and I was already "lucky" to get a new $9.99 phone. Wow! I didn't expect that... what terrible customer service from a MANAGER. I explained that I'm not asking for anything specific.... just something so that I feel a little better with wasting 3 hours on the phone and 13 days out of pocket on a phone. I told her to send my Transaction Summary to me and this is the last that I will use Tracfone. I will share my experience with EVERYONE! Crystal (you are not empowered as a MANAGER) sends me an email stating that I "agree to comply with the Terms & Conditions, which are subject to change from time to time without notice." DON'T USE TRACFONE... TRY SOMEONE ELSE WHERE CUSTOMER SERVICE MEANS SOMETHING.

Poor and Inconvenient service

Comments about TracFone Wireless:

This service provider is best for individuals who wish to make phone calls every once in a while but definitely not for those who are constantly on their phones. You can do things like call, text, and even access the web but it will drain your minutes really fast. Another thing I am not fond of is that the service from Tracfone is rather poor. Every time I am out somewhere in a building or something, I have to go outside to get service just to make a call or text someone. This has been quite inconvenient for me so many times when I desperately needed to make a call. Currently I am looking in to another cell phone service provider because for the same price of an unlimited access tracfone card I can get better service for the same price by other companies. With that in mind, if you want good service I would go with another cell phone service provider.

Call Quality
Sometimes the phone will sound crackly or I will not be able to hear anyone.

Coverage
The coverage is rather poor. Hence the reason I am going to get another provider.

Plan Options
They don't really offer many different plan options whereas other companies usually do offer more.

Customer Service
Customer service is okay but the people on the other end of the line are from another country and sometimes don't speak English fluently.

• Customer Service:

Absolute worst customer service I've ever recieved and will ever

Comments about TracFone Wireless:

They are cheap and the phones work fine but the terrible customer service makes them a one. And I feel like 1 is too high. Stay away unless you need to challenge your patience level to the extreme.

Customer Service
If I could put negative 10 I would. I don't know how many hours I wasted on the phone trying to transfer my information to a new phone because somebody incorrectly put in my verification password. Good luck. I can't wait til my minutes run out. I have no respect for their company and the way they do business. After being on the phone for literally hours and hours of hold time they would not even give me any complimentary minutes.

Useless because not reliable

Comments about TracFone Wireless:

I have now owned a tracfone for 3 months because I only stay in the States for 6 months. Occasionally, I was able to place a call, even internationally, but in more than 50 % of the cases (!!!), either my call was not even transmitted, or, in case I reached the other person, he/she was able to utter his/her entry line, but by the time I raised my voice, the connection was almost inevitably interrupted (silence). I cannot tell you how annoying and frustrating this experience was. I had a few emergency cases, too, where the phone let me down. Don't try this product/service ! It's useless and borders on theft.

Don't know.

• Customer Service:

Started out good, then all went bad.

Comments about TracFone Wireless:

I got a tracfone in 2005, I thought it was good. Then my phone went bad the first year, and I had to get a different one. I accidently broke my phone in 2007 and it was pure hell getting the number transferred to a different phone. I tried to get a smartphone in 2011 and it wouldn't work in my area. Now I after 9 years I'm being forced to give up my number that I have had all of these years. If you don't mind not having a regular number, and having poor reception then this plan is for you.

Call Quality
Calls would be dropped often.

Coverage
Seems I was roaming a lot, although the coverage is nationwide.

Plan Options
Plans were limited in my area.

Features
I can't have smartphones in my area. I can't have phones that use SIM cards.

Customer Service
Oh my this is the worse part of tracfone!

Say NO to TracFone

from Nashville, TN

Comments about TracFone Wireless:

Not a fan of Tracfone... They do have decent phones to choose from, and I have found them on sale often. It is the service that most bothers me with the company. Not only is the prepaid service very expensive, I find that you lose service quite often and it doesn't get good reception. As far as the phones themselves, they are cheaply made and cannot sustain nearly as much wear and tear as phones from other companies.
I will not be using Tracfone again. I cannot afford to spend $20 for 60 minutes. They do have a double your minutes, but you have to pay $20 initially to get this. Even 120 minutes for this price doesn't seem worth it to me.
Otherwise I have no issues with the company. Just not for me.

Call Quality
Using Tracfone I lose a lot of calls and often have to move locations to use the phone when inside of my house.

Coverage
As far as I know Tracfone is available almost everywhere.

Plan Options
Tracfone is prepaid service but there are so many other cheaper plans out there that I would rather use. They do not have any kind of unlimited plan here, either.