Other Toothpastes:
Tom's of Maine Peppermint Toothpaste

Tom's of Maine Peppermint Toothpaste

Pros

Cons

Fresh & Clean.. Nature Works!

I find Tom's Of Maine to be the toothpaste I always select at the store. I like it for its ecological & animal-friendly concerns. The toothpaste is quite different than what I used as a child growing up, but it works just as well. The taste is fine & the cleaning does just as well as the toothpastes I used to use. It does not have a heavy sugary aftertaste, & it took me a little while to get used to it. However, I drink a lot of coffee, & going from brushing my teeth over to the coffee mug is an easier transition with Toms as opposed to other toothpaste brands I had used before..! It is not overbearing, I guess.. that's a better way to describe it.

I was happy to find that Tom offers flouride-free versions. Not only is the product natural, but naturally attuned to what brushing teeth is all about. Flouride is not necessary, much like the heavily saturated flavors, once they are eliminated a better product may produce a better result. Personally I like the paste as opposed to the gel versions that Tom's Of Maine offers. The texture for the paste is a little bit heavier, or thicker. The gel works nicely, but I found the paste covers more thoroughly within my mouth.

Even the packaging to Tom's products I enjoy, there is effort & wise use of materials, not only for the consumers but for the world.

The Quality of This Continues to Plunge

i got a call from my mother the other day. She was pretty upset and started saying how she had taken a break from her tooth powder (Ecodent) to go back to her beloved Tom's Toothpaste in Peppermint. She was shocked when she opened the tube and began to use the toothpaste. To put it in her words, " It felt like I had dumped a spoonful of sugar in my mouth- it was DISGUSTING!"

Now, be aware, my mother was a die hard fan of Tom's Toothpaste even after I told her that I didn't like it anymore.

Well, I have purchased a tube or been given a tube of Tom's Toothpaste now and then and most recently the peppermint flavor was the paste of choice. That was HORRIBLE. My mother pretty much summed it up- the toothpaste was sickening sweet- more artificial tasting than anything- and the peppermint flavor was not the really clean tingly one that I had been used to.

I have used Tom's Toothpaste for many years- way back since 1982- and it used to be pretty nice to use- much less icky than regular toothpastes. Unfortunately, it no longer is that way.

Over the years, Tom's Toothpaste has declined in quality, but my most recent encounter with Tom's of Maine Peppermint Toothpaste left me not wanting to try it ever again. It was AWFUL. It did not clean, it made me want to retch, and it left my mouth feeling like I needed to brush my teeth all over again!

You can find out more about this toothpaste at www.tomsofmaine.com

Cavity prevention and no white spots on your teeth.

from Westchester, IL

Comments about Tom's of Maine Peppermint Toothpaste:

I was placing an order where I needed to add another item to qualify for free shipping or pay for shipping. The price of shipping was greater than the Tom's of Maine Peppermint Toothpaste so I decided to order it. I was familiar with this toothpaste prior to ordering so I wasn't taking a chance on this product. I purchased the fluoride free version of this toothpaste because in the past fluoride has caused several white spots on my teeth. Once I stopped using fluoride toothpaste I didn't get anymore white spots. Also, fluoride didn't aid in battling plaque and tartar for me. The main reason I purchased Tom's of Maine was because it has decent percentage of xylitol. Xylitol is a natural sugar alchol that prevents cavities. It stops the growth of bacteria that causes cavities. Using Xylitol over time lowers the amount of decay causing bacteria, which results in less plaque forming. Tom's doesn't have the highest percentage of xylitol compared to my regular toothpaste Xyli White (25% xylitol) or Squigle (36% xylitol), but it gets the job done. I would definitely recommend Tom's of Maine Toothpaste.

Stopped buying this brand for a number of reasons

Comments about Tom's of Maine Peppermint Toothpaste:

While this isn't a bad commercial toothpaste per se, and I did buy it for a long time because there wasn't much else out there, the Toms brand has really changed over the years and I no longer use any of their products (I was introduced to this brand in the 1970's when it was a small company and was a loyal customer). The toothpastes in particular feel more like the regular products sold by large corporations (Colgate, etc.) to me, and I no longer think they justify the premium price. I actually pay more for my current toothpaste, which is clay based and has no glycerin. While normally a very frugal shopper, the cost is worth it to me in this case.

The peppermint taste was very good, not overpowering, though the smell could be at times. I'm very sensitive to odors and chemical scents, which makes using any toothpaste difficult, and while the Toms brand is not as excessively scented as many, it is much more so than the brand I currently use. The feel of these toothpastes changed over the years as well, with a slick after effect that I don't personally care for.

Love that this doesn't have all those chemicals in it!

Comments about Tom's of Maine Peppermint Toothpaste:

After reading the ingredients on my children's toothpaste and seeing the number of chemicals, sweeteners, and food coloring I decided to switch toothpastes to a natural brand. The caution with kids and food coloring seems to be growing every day and I figure that my kids get enough junk throughout the day without have to make their toothpaste a source as well just so they can have a "fun" experience. The peppermint is a good flavor, but my kids certainly prefer the strawberry flavor best. The toothpaste seems to be a little thinner than usual brands so it can be a bit messier if you have young kids. My kids would still buy the sparkle flavored, chemical laden brand if I let them because the characters and bling are certainly attractive to kids, but I feel good knowing that I cut one more unnecessary piece of chemical-filled things from their life. I am sure their teeth with thank me for it as well!

Great natural toothpaste

Comments about Tom's of Maine Peppermint Toothpaste:

I try to use natural or organic products as much as possible, and Tom's is one of the best known at making products in the organic market. When I saw the Tom's of Maine Peppermint Toothpaste I decided to give it a try and see if it would work as well as the name brand toothpastes I normally use that, I am sure, are full of chemicals.

The Tom's Toothpaste was reasonably priced, and I found it at a local natural foods store. I am sure you can purchase this at lots of different locations since it is such a popular brand.

The toothpaste did a great job of keeping my teeth clean and my mouth having a fresh taste to it. I was pleasantly surprised with this because I was afraid it would have a very grainy texture. This was not the case at all. I liked that it did not have a chemical taste, and it is made of all natural ingredients that are not harmful for your body if you inadvertently ingest them.

Great for tooth pain, gentle, great taste, not grainy.

from Griffin, GA

Comments about Tom's of Maine Peppermint Toothpaste:

I actually have the Myrrh & Peppermint kind, and I like it okay. I bought it because it got good review on VitaCost, and at the time I had one wisdom tooth completely in, and one slowly coming in, and my mouth was in pain...long story short, myrrh is supposed to be soothing for teeth. It seems to work...the pain isn't as terrible.
My only complaint is that (and this is probably just me, as I switched from Colgate Whitening) as a coffee/tea drinker, my teeth are a little bit dingier than they were before. However, it isn't terribly noticeable, and my teeth feel better, so I think I'll stick with this.

The Quality of This Continues to Plunge

from Podunk, NY

You can find out more about this toothpaste at www.tomsofmaine.com

Tom's Peppermint Toothpaste is the best

from Houston, TX

Comments about Tom's of Maine Peppermint Toothpaste:

I have been using Tom's Toothpaste for years. One day I ran across the peppermint flavor Tom's toothpaste and has been my favorite ever since. It leaves your mouth so refreshed and your breath smells fresh all day. I would recommend this toothpaste to everyone looking for something different. It's a great way to start your day, you'll feel confident and sure when speaking with someone up close and pesonal. I wouldn't change from using this toothpaste for any reason.

The best natural toothpaste that I have come across

from Lebanon, PA

Comments about Tom's of Maine Peppermint Toothpaste:

I found Tom's of Maine when I started seeing a nutritionist.  At the time I tried a few other natural toothpastes but Tom's came out on top.  I have read so much about the negative effects of Flouride and was wanting a product that was flouride free that even my husband would be willing to use.  We have used this product for at least 3 years.  I prefer the spearmint over the peppermint but that is just a personal preference.  The thing I had to get over when we first started using this is it is not sweet, no saccarin or other artificial sweetners are used.  I'm pleased that these products are not used but it is an initial shock to the system.  I have not had any cavities since using Tom's and my dentist is always pleased with my teeth.

Tom's of Maine - if you like natural, you'll love it

from Draper, UT

Comments about Tom's of Maine Peppermint Toothpaste:

Tom's of Maine Peppermint Toothpaste is a great alternative to other toothpastes, but it is only for those of you that enjoy natural flavors. This toothpaste uses natural silicas and zinc and does not contain any artificial sweeteners, preservatives, colors, or flavors. This becomes evident in the taste of Tom's of Maine peppermint toothpaste. This toothpaste has no overpowering flavor. Instead you can taste the natural ingredients in the toothpaste. After using Tom's of Main peppermint toothpaste for a few weeks, I am accustomed to the taste and I feel that my teeth are being cleaned just as good as other toothpastes that I have used. I also love how Tom's of Maine natural toothpaste is packaged. Tom's of Maine brand is quite a bit more expensive than other brands of toothpaste. However, if you prefer a toothpaste that uses more natural ingredients, the higher price is worth it. I will continue to use Tom's of Maine toothpaste and would recommend it to friends and family.

Tom's of Maine Peppermint is great!

from Columbia, SC

Comments about Tom's of Maine Peppermint Toothpaste:

I love that these use all-natural ingredients, and the peppermint toothpaste is awesome! The spearmint isn't quite as minty, but the peppermint one is great, and I think it does a great job of whitening. My one complaint is that the deodorant is definitely NOT 24-hour protection! ;)