4.1

Tide Washing Machine Cleaner

4.1

Pros

Cons

Tide Washer Cleaner - It did the job perfectly!

Our washing machine has probably seen better days, but after buying a new house, new appliances weren't really in the budget.  Our washer took on a musty smell that was starting to leak onto the clean wash.  After doing some online research, I really wanted to find a product locally (that I didn't have to order) than might work, and found several "home made recipes" to get the odor out.  None of those "home made" recipes cut the smell all the way.

I found Tide Washer Cleaner one day as I was roaming the aisles at my local store - the instructions are easy to understand, the box comes with mulitple treatments - and it solved the odor smell the first go round!  Now I use it about once a month just to keep things fresh and odor free (especially since the most helpful people in my house tend to leave laundry in the washer overnight...).

All in all, it's worth the price and is an excellent product!!!

Tide Washing Machine Cleaner Smells Nice, but is it Necessary?

Appliances do get dirty and smelly and they need a periodic cleaning. This is true of any appliance, but one that most don't think about cleaning is the inside of the washing machine. After all, the washer is full of soapy water when in use, so why would it ever need cleaning? However, washing machine interiors can get dirty and one product designed to clean this area is **Tide Washing Machine Cleaner**, a product from Proctor and Gamble.

**Washing Machine Cleaner Commentary:**

Tide Washing Machine Cleaner is a powered cleaning material sold in small pouches. The powder itself is white with blue specs and offers a strong scent that combines soap with qualities one would normally associate with air freshener. Tide recommends using one full pounch for each cleaning, using a normal cycle and hot water. If odor problems persist, Tide recommends repeating this procedure each week for three weeks. Once the odor is under control, Tide recommends using one pouch per month, for maintenance.

Tide Washing Machine Cleaner eliminates washing machine odors with its powerful bleaching and cleaning agents and it's a product that does have a certain appeal. Cleaning the inside of my washing machine isn't something I had really considered, but Tide Washing Machine Cleaner did manage to pique my interest. My washing machine did have a certain smell- not necessarily a bad smell but a smell nonetheless- and Tide Washing Machine Cleaner seemed like a product that could make a difference. It seemed like a product worth trying, so I obtained a box of pouches and put the product to the test.

The first thing you notice with Tide Washing Machine Cleaner is the scent. It is very strong and not only does it freshen the inside of your washer, it fills the surrounding air with its freshness. Laundry taken from the washing machine after cleaning with Tide Washing Machine Cleaner did seem fresher smelling. I did notice that the freshness was less noticeable with each passing load, but the scent was still pleasant and appealing and it makes a positive first impression.

While there is certainly a difference in the scent on the inside of my washing machine after using Tide Washing Machine Cleaner, one problem I have with this product is whether or not it is really necessary. Washing machines do need an occasional cleaning, but you could accomplish the same result by creating your own cleaning agent using bleach and a small amount of detergent. Running a full wash cycle with these two ingredients might be just as effective as using Tide Washing Machine Cleaner. This is my greatest reservation with this product. It could prove useful for some people, but it would be just as easy to clean your washer using items you already have on hand.

**Bottom Line Viewpoint:**

Tide Washing Machine Cleaner is an acceptable product that has some good things to offer but ultimately may be unnecessary. There is no doubt that it freshens the inside of your washing machine and this could very well lead to fresher clothing.  However, the fresh scent fades away after doing a few loads and the product doesn't seem necessary when you consider the number of ways you can create your own cleaning agent using ordinary bleach and detergent. For these reasons, I can only rate this product average overall.

Fresh smelling

Comments about Tide Washing Machine Cleaner:

I have been using Tide washing machine tub cleaner for years, ever since I first bought my front load washing machine. I use it once a month to keep the inside of my washer clean and smelling fresh. It works wonders on the inside especially with a front load it can start smelling pretty bad if you don't regularly run a tub cycle with cleaner. I would recommend this product even for regular washing machines with a top load they can get pretty nasty also.

Directions on packaging is inncorrect

Comments about Tide Washing Machine Cleaner:

I ordered a free sample of this product and used it. I have actually used it twice to see if the first time I did something wrong. Here's how it went:
I received my sample. On the package itself it states to put the cleaner INSIDE OF THE DETERGENT DISPENSER. Do NOT do that! After I followed the directions, I opened the door to see a cleaner machine, which was great! I then opened the door for the detergent dispenser and it was full of this cleaner, crystallized and grimy! I had to dump it out and wash with water to remove it. I then went online to read how to use it and it states to put in the drum itself. I have yet to try this method but the packaging has terrible, wrong directions.
The one good thing is that it does work, regardless of most of the cleaner being stuck in the dispenser. I noticed the mildew was gone around the ring of the machine and it was very shiny.
Another downside if you are sensitive to smell is this is very, very strong smelling. I don't mind strong odors but even this was enough to take me back. I suggest if your skin is sensitive, like mine, to run a full cycle afterwards with water only to remove all residue from this, as it will get on your next load of clothing and it will make your skin irritated.
Overall, for a Tide product, I was not super impressed. I will try putting it in the drum itself and report back..

Excellent product to get your washing machine back to FRESH!

Comments about Tide Washing Machine Cleaner:

I have a front loading washing machine that started to smell funky. The clothes were smelling weird, too, so I tried pouring vinegar into it and running it since I had heard that it would help. That didn't work, so I was glad to hear about Tide Washing Machine Cleaner. At this point, I was getting desperate and was just hoping it would do something! I ran one of the packages through the cycle and was amazed to find that the smell was gone! I now use this product several times through the year to keep the machine from that "old towel" smell. With 4 kids I do a lot of laundry, so this saved the day for me! If you are smelling something strange with your machine, give this a try! I would recommend using it regularly even if you aren't smelling anything yet, just so it doesn't get to that point. One package did the trick for me, and it is definitely worth the small price to get a fresh smelling machine!

Home Remedies vs Tide Washer Machine Cleaner

Comments about Tide Washing Machine Cleaner:

My daughter complained about her smelly washer machine for months.
I am a baby boomer and have used white vinegar and bleach to kill odors and mold for decades. Naturally I scrubbed the rubber trim with the bleach first. Then I ran a hot water cycle using an entire bottle of vinegar with an entire box of baking soda. Voila! Odors were gone!
My daughter is a working mother. A few months passed when the odors were back. She purchased the Tide Washer Machine Cleaner and says it worked just as well without all the work I did! I went to investigate her findings and judge for myself. I still feel as though my muscle grease combined with the vinegar baking soda concoction was just as good and cost effective. You judge for yourself and look at the rubber trim in your machines and keep the door open after washing.

Wow absolutely amazing!!

Comments about Tide Washing Machine Cleaner:

We do not have a problem with our washer but decided to use this just incase so we found the Tide Washing Machine Cleaner . It really keeps your washer smelling clean and fresh for months. If you keep your washing machine lid open that will also help fight any odors and will keep your laundry room fresh.

Does a good job.... I think

from Carteret, NJ

Comments about Tide Washing Machine Cleaner:

After years of using my washing machine it started to smell. I give my washer a wipe-down once a month or so, especially in the summer months when my kids are in the dirt, grass and pool a lot. This summer I noticed a smell coming from my washer. I wiped it down with Clorox wipes like I usually do and it didn't even help a little. I then ran a wash with bleach. The smell still persisted. I had heard about the Tide Washing Machine Cleaner and thought I would give it a try. I just wanted the smell gone.
I have to say... at first I was skeptical of its effectiveness. The scent of the product was overwhelming. I could smell it all over my house. I thought it was just covering up the smell of the washer and not really working. I had to run the cleaner through once a week for two weeks to get the washer smelling fresh again.
It has been over a month since the second cleaner application and my laundry room smells clean still. It actually worked. I am very pleased with the results.
Give it some time to work and you will be pleased with the results. It is a bit expensive for a cleaning product BUT you don't use it often and it gets in and cleans places you just cant reach. I will now always have this on hand incase my washer stinks again.

Powerful

Comments about Tide Washing Machine Cleaner:

This stuff is powerful, and cleans my machine perfectly every time. I have well water that can be smelly at times and seems to also carry rust at times and this product keeps my machine oder free and sparkaling. My only complaint is that sometimes not all of the granuals get rinsed out of the dispenser. It is not a big deal though, I just pop out the tray and wash it out. I would recomend this product to those with HE machines as it dose a great job.

I tried it when I had a coupon, and am very glad I did

Comments about Tide Washing Machine Cleaner:

This is something I wasn't sure about because of the price, but I have to say it's worth trying. I would not get it if I have to pay regular price, but with money off it was worth it.
I have a front loader that seems to smell all the time. I did research on-line and I am not alone. Front loaders are known for that scent.. I guess it's mildew. Anyway I looked and looked for something to get rid of it. I used bleach for a while, but then I saw a coupon for this product. I tried it and was very glad I did. It really did remove the smell from my washing machine. I was surprised. It left behind a clean scent, not too overwhelming. I have used it three times now. I think there are two packages inside one box. I repeated the steps every three months, maybe a little longer. One box could last year a year... if you did it every six months. Well worth the price, if you ask me. Coupons for many P&G products come in mailers, or can be found online all the time. Keep your eyes open for a coupon and save a little, and try this product if you have a smelly washer.

Amazing Product!

Comments about Tide Washing Machine Cleaner:

For the longest time I couldn't get the smell of old water and detergent out of my washer and it was starting to end up on my laundry, after one use of tide washing machine cleaner my machine and my laundry started smelling better! I usually use it at least once each month to keep everything clean.

Freshen up your top loading washing machine.

from Fairfield, CT

Comments about Tide Washing Machine Cleaner:

A common problem associated with top loading machines is the strong possibility of mildew build-up in the drum. This Tide washing machine cleaning product is placed in your machine, so that it can effectively clean the areas of your washing machine that are hard to clean by the regular spin cycle of the washing machine or by manually cleaning inside the machine. I noticed a big difference in how my machine smelled after using this, especially when I had placed very soiled and smelly items in the machine. I rather use this product than running the machine with just bleach, since too much bleach is bad for the overall air quality.