Other Misc. Cleaning Products:
Swiffer Duster

Swiffer Duster

Pros

Cons

Dust devils, meet your match in Swiffer Dusters!

As a guy who would rather be spending his valuable time writing for a living or socializing online, I will be the first to admit that I have never been too fond of housekeeping and housecleaning chores.

I have been doing them, though, since I was nine years old; back then my assigned chores were picking up my toys and books from the floor or other rooms, dusting some of the furniture with paper towels and Pledge, and vacuuming.

Later, as I got over my fear of breaking dishes and glasses, I added dishwashing to my repertoire of housework duties, and this is something I do pretty darn well; I don't think I've broken or chipped any dishes in a long time, though I must admit to having "lost" a couple of glasses in the 30 years or so that we've lived here.

While I do recognize the need to do household chores, I don't necessarily like doing them.  Vacuuming I don't mind so much; in fact, since I consider that to be my best housecleaning activity, I get to choose what vacuum cleaners get bought and used.

Dusting is another area which I seem to excel at, even though at times I find it tedious and time-consuming.  I hate it, for instance, when i'm dusting the blades of our ceiling fans and all that "crapola" that accumulates up there comes down on me.

**Swiffer Dusters**

Fortunately, the research-and-development department over at Procter & Gamble developed the **Swiffer** family of products, including the **Swiffer Dusters**, to make the tasks of housecleaning a bit easier without sacrificing efficiency. The **Swiffer Dusters** consist of one plastic handle and five disposable dusters made of, according to the official Swiffer website, "thousands of soft, fluffy fibers that can change shape to fit wherever they must go." These fibers capture all sorts of dirt, dust, and other fine debris -- the kind of stuff that not only makes rooms look dingy and unkempt, but also causes many allergies. According to the Home Made Simple website sponsored by Procter & Gamble, the Swiffer Duster not only deals with the aesthetic component of housekeeping, but also the more important hygienic aspects: *With Swiffer® Dusters, you can trap and lock the dirt and dust you see, and even common household allergens* that you don't. Swiffer Dusters use thousands of soft, fluffy fibers to easily trap and lock dirt, dust and up to 89% of common household allergens. These are impossible to see, but they're there. (Another unpleasant thought, we know, but also true.)* Although, to be sure, there is some assembly required before you can use your Swiffer Duster, attaching the plastic handle to a disposable duster is, pardon the pun, a snap. Step 1. Match rounded ends. Step 2. Push together forcefully. Listen for a snap. Step 3.Slide the prongs of the handle into the duster. Fluff. If you followed the three steps above correctly and the duster doesn't fly off the handle, you are now ready to dust! **From the Package:** *The Swiffers Dusters' soft and fluffy fibers trap and lock dust fast and easy -- even in hard to reach places. The Swiffer Dusters work on virtually all surfaces leaving no residue. For cleaning purposes only. Use only on cooled surfaces. This product is not intended for use on wet surfaces.* **My Viewpoint on Swiffer Dusters:**I'm still not terribly fond of dusting -- I don't know anyone who likes *doing* this chore -- but this Swiffer product certainly is the best tool for the job. The "soft, fluffy fibers" adjust to any surface, whether it's a flat table-top or the irregular terrain of a PC's keyboard. Even more important, they do capture a great deal of dust, grime, hair, and dirt from appliances, tabletops, bookshelves, books, DVD cases, and (of course) many of of my *Star Wars* collectibles. Where it used to take me a couple of passes with a feather duster or a long, carefully plotted and thorough once-over with a Pledge-permeated dustrag, I now can clean almost any dry and cool surface in a single pass. (Okay, with *Star Wars* figures it's a bit trickier, since some do topple over and fall from the shelf no matter how careful I am.) And as much as I hate to admit it, it's this adaptability -- as well as the easy-to-hold ergonomic handle -- that makes the Swiffer Duster the marvelous tool that it is. It cleans almost any surface and can be used to reach hard-to-clean areas, and it doesn't -- unlike other dust-fighting methods -- leave any residue or stray dust behind.

Down with this duster

I despise dust.  A lot.  So I'm always on the lookout for products that will help me keep my home dust-free.  When I saw the **Swiffer Duster **commercial featuring a woman dancing around a house (which wasn't her house) happily dusting away, I knew that I wanted to try it.  Well, after two tries, it's sitting unused in my hall closet.

My first problem with the **Swiffer Duster** was that the disposable dusting cloth repeatedly fell off of the plastic handle.  I tried another dusting cloth and had the same problem.

Secondly, the handle isn't very long and is flimsy.  If my kids got a hold of it (it would be fair game for a light saber), I have no doubt that they would break it.

Lastly, I wasn't impressed with how the **Swiffer Duster** cleaned up the dust in my house.  I have a lamb's wool duster that does just as well of a job, if not better.  Why should I bother spending money on (expensive) disposable dusting cloths that will only end up in a landfill when I can use my lamb's wood duster instead?

I really wish that the **Swiffer Duster** dancing lady would come to my house and just take the darn duster away.

I give up on this product

from Murrieta Ca.

About Me Homeowner

Pros

Cons

• Weak Function

Comments about Swiffer Duster:

Nothing is great about it unless it is improved.it keeps falling of handle

Not sure if I want to

from GA

About Me Homeowner

Comments about Swiffer Duster:

I have allergies. The box says the pads are unscented. They have a fairly strong scent. Makes me wonder what else is in them. I am reluctant to use these on my computer equipment because I don't know what is in them.

A very good duster

Comments about Swiffer Duster:

I do not mind dusting as much as I used to since using Swiffer Dusters. Dusting is my least favorite chore, but these dusters make it a lot easier and faster. When I first purchased a Swiffer Duster I was concerned about whether or not it would truly pick up the dust or just disperse it around, but they do collect the dust really well. I have tried other less expensive brands of dusters, but they just did not seem to pick up dust as well, and they certainly did not hold up as well as Swiffer Dusters. Swiffer Dusters do cost more than the some brands, but I am able to use a single Swiffer Duster longer than I can a cheaper brand duster because these less expensive ones quickly lose there shape and ability to collect dust. Another big benefit of these dusters is that the rest of family is willing to help with the dusting. I think, like me, they do not mind dusting since it is so easy and fast with the Swiffer Duster.

Makes cleaning a breeze

Comments about Swiffer Duster:

My family uses these for dusting all the time! Every week, I pull out a Swiffer Duster to do my weekly dusting, and they work much better than a feather duster or dust cloth. When I get finished with the dusting, I can pick up the duster and see all of the dust that's stuck to it. Regular dusters let go of the dust and send it flying all over the place, but Swiffer dusters keep the dust trapped, even if you shake it like a dog shakes a toy. On top of that, you don't have to clean out Swiffer dusters. Each package comes with several dusters and one or two handles. Instead of shaking or cleaning out the duster, all you have to do is slide the duster off the handle after a few uses, throw it out, and slide a new one on. When you run out of dusters, stores sell refill packages. Personally, I would say that the only downside is that each refill package costs a bit of money, but the job it does is well worth it.

dusting magic

from Westbrook, MN

Comments about Swiffer Duster:

I used to use dusting cloths, and then I tried the feathery long handled dusters, and then I tried the swiffer dusters. I absolutely love them. You can use them for a very long time, and just shake them out, outside, and then when they get in bad shape, you just toss them out. I use them in my house, and at work, and I keep one in my car, which I use every few days, just to run across my dash, and it keeps the dust away, and is so easy to clean. I like how it doesn't just move the dust around, that it really picks it up and hangs on to it. They are very value geared, so you can defiitely afford to use these dusters. I always have a spares around, and really recommend these.

Swiffer Dusters

Comments about Swiffer Duster:

Swiffer dusters have made dusting my home fun. I use them weekly for dusting not only the high furniture but baseboards and woodwork also. Once the duster has been well used I then continue cleaning by dusting under the kitchen appliances. In doing this it prevents the need to pull out the refrigerator and stove two times a year or more. I have gone from moving these appliances out twice a year to once a year. This is one product I truely could not live without. I vote hands down one of the best inventions ever made.

Swiffer Dusters

Comments about Swiffer Duster:

These things catch SO much dust! I almost feel like the catch so much at once that I have to change them too often, although it probably just says something about my house. They are easy to put on the wand that comes with them and easy to take off without getting your hands all dusty once you have used them up. I love using these things on my blinds and hard to reach corners especially!

Summarize this product in one sentence.

from Ambler, PA

Comments about Swiffer Duster:

They make cleaning so much easier. They do not leave behind and lint like paper towels do. They clean up very nicely and then the best part of all is that you can throw them away when you are finished using them. Swiffer products as a whole are all very good.

Best duster ever invented.

from San Jose, CA

Comments about Swiffer Duster:

Swiffer dusters should have been invented years ago. They are that good!
      They are so easy to use for all the things that are difficult to reach. Blinds, shutters, in and around computers.
      They really do a great job of picking up all that dust. And when you have finished cleaning you just take the duster part off and throw it away.
      How easy is that?

Love the Swiffer

from White Bluff, TN

Comments about Swiffer Duster:

I love the swiffer duster because it is very easy to use. The swiffer picks up the dust and doesn't make it fly around. When using this instrument it makes cleaning easy. I would highly recommend this product. It make cleaning easy and it is very fast to use.