4.8
Sunshine Kids RadianXTSL Convertible Car Seat

Sunshine Kids RadianXTSL Convertible Car Seat

4.8

A Great Car Seat

The great thing about the Sunshine Kids RadianXTSL Car Seat is that this car seat is truly easy to install both rear-facing and forward-facing. We have 4 of these seats and it actually fits an infant!! Many convertible seats on the market are not truly safe for a newborn but with the insert, the weight limit and the strap height the XTSL actually fits my newborn safely!! I love the fact that this seat can rear-face up to 45lbs and has a high shell. This allows my almost 4 year old to remain rear-facing safely, comfortably and without any problems. All of my kids sit comfortably in their XTSLs without issue. We had another brand of convertible seat and my children's heads would flop forward when they fell asleep and my oldest complained that it made her back hurt even on short car rides, but we have had no such issue with the XTSLs and we have had them for about 1 year. The XTSL is easy to keep clean and remove and replace the cover, which is great with the messes that kids can make. The XTSLs easily to fits 3 across in our Toyota Sienna and out Chevy Impala, even when all of the seats are facing the same direction!

The XTSL also forward-faces up to 80lbs and 53" with a 5pt harness, which is great!!! Remember every change you make in a car seat (i.e., rear-facing to forward-facing, forward-facing to booster) is taking a level of safety away from your child.

Another huge pro that I found is that the XTSL has a rebound strap/tether that can be used while in the rear-facing position. This prevents the seat from rebounding in an accident and protects the child's legs.

One con that I feel I must mention is that the you have to manually adjust the straps which can be pain if you are planning on switching kids in the seats, but if the seat is for one child then it isn't something that will come up every day.

nice seat but very upright

I bought the **Sunshine Kids RadianXTSL Car Seat - Eclipse **because it had very good safety ratings and was narrower than most car seats so I thought it would be nice if other people wanted to ride in our car with us there would be room.  It is supposed to work great if you need to fit three car seats in an SUV but we only have one child right now.  Another reason I bought this seat is because it had extended time rear facing but we never used this because it would not fit in our car properly when it was rear facing so we kept her in the infant seat until she was old enough and weighed enough to be forward facing.  The seat is very upright so for long car trips it is difficult for her to fall asleep.  We have a much cheaper Graco car seat in our other vehicle and I think because it reclines slightly she is much more comfortable in that seat.  The seat did wash well after a stomach flu incident it was easy to take apart and clean.****

Great Carseat

Comments about Sunshine Kids RadianXTSL Convertible Car Seat:

I love the Radian car seats. We currently have two and will by another if we have another child. We have used them with a newborn up to five years old so far. My 5 year old will stay in this seat for a few more years. The five point harness is so much safer than a booster seat. My youngest hated her infant car seat, we put her in the radian and no more screaming in the car. The narrow base leaves plenty of room in the back seat for an adult with the two seats. Highly recommended.

• Ease of Installation:
  • Child's Comfort:
  • Support and Safety:

Would and did buy it again!

Comments about Sunshine Kids RadianXTSL Convertible Car Seat:

I LOVE this carseat. The fact that I can fit 3 in my back seat is nice, but the safety ratings on these and the durability is absolutely amazing! Yes the cost is a tad harsh on the wallet but for your kids safety and peace of mind it is a complete winner! My 4 year old is tall for his size and still has a great amount of time left in a 5 point harness due to this carseat! They are a little heavy but that is due to them being constructed to hold together for years! If I had another kid I would once again purchase the same carseat as the three I have of this one! :)

• Ease of Installation:
  • Child's Comfort:
  • Support and Safety:

This seat is Amazing!!!

from Peru, IN

Comments about Sunshine Kids RadianXTSL Convertible Car Seat:

I have two of these seats. My almost 8 year old still sits in the seat in the 5 pt. harness!! Makes me feel much more comfortable with how she is buckled in the car. Great seat if you have to have several car seats together in one car. Very narrow.

Sunshine Kids Keeps My kids Super Safe

from Fort Wayne, IN

Comments about Sunshine Kids RadianXTSL Convertible Car Seat:

Pros:

This carseat is super safe. It has one of the highest safety ratings of all car seats. I feel so good with my kids in these seats.

The seat has a higher weight and height limit than most seats. A child can stay in this seat until roughly 53 inches tall and 80 pounds, which ever comes first. My 5 year old is extremely tall for her age and this is important to me. I don't believe kids belong in booster seats until at least age 6 (but I prefer age 7!) so keeping my 5 year old in a 5 point harness is my top priority and Sunshine Kids delviers.

The pink pattern makes my daughter more willing to stay in a 5 point harness for longer. It is a pretty cool looking seat!

I love the headwings. I love glancing in my rearview mirror and seeing their little heads protected. In a crash, they wouldn't be bobbling all over. Those headwings will protect their necks and heads and keep them as safe as possible.

Cons:

A little tricky to install. In fact, I couldn't do it by myself. It took me and my husband working together to get a proper installation. Not convenient but considering how safe my kids are now that the seats are installed correctly, it is worth the effort.

The bottom buckle is annoying. I feel like there should be one more slot so that it wasn't rubbing so tightly around the child's crotch area.

Sunshine Radian -- slim, safe, and comfortable.

from Cambridge, MA

Comments about Sunshine Kids RadianXTSL Convertible Car Seat:

With two kids and a carpool to figure out, we chose the Sunshine Radian over the Graco 3-in-1 for safety and its narrow footprint. We wanted our 5-year-old in a 5-pt.-harness a little longer, and this is the narrowest 5-pt.-harness carseat I have seen. It fits in the backseat of our Toyota Corolla, along with our baby's wide Britax. We even have room for another older child to squeeze in during carpool. (Not much room, but it's fine once or twice a week!) I also love that the installation is a breeze. Our carpool schedule means we sometimes have to switch cars, and it's never difficult to strap the Radian in or take it out. The only drawback in that department is the weight -- it's quite heavy. I would not take this carseat on a flight, for instance, but for general use, it's great. My daughter loves the pink pattern (of course), and the headrest is comfortable, too. I also like that the harness straps are easy to adjust; just loosen the buckle at the bottom of the seat or pull the long strap to tighten (a lot like the Britax strap adjustment.) I think we'll get many years of use from this seat.

Great seat!

from Minden, NE

Comments about Sunshine Kids RadianXTSL Convertible Car Seat:

As a mother of 4 kiddos under the age of 6, plus a foster parent for a teenager, I have a van that is full to the brim.  When I needed new car seats, I had several things that I was looking for. First, I needed seats that were slim enough to fit three across the back bench seat of my Honda Odyssey. Second, I wanted a seat that harnessXT fits the bill! This seat has all of the extras - plush fabrics, cool designs, a body pillow, an infant head support, neck and belly pads.  The Radian XT is also a very solidly built seat.  Made of steel, it may be heavy, but I am much more comfortable knowing that my children are being supported by thick steel than flimsy plastic.

The only gripe I have is that the Radian seats are not the easiest to install, but once you get the hang of installing them, you can do it in a short period of time.  All it takes is a little practice and the owner's manual!  My kids love their seats, and I love them, too!

Simply the best.

from Longview, WA

Comments about Sunshine Kids RadianXTSL Convertible Car Seat:

Right around the time my son was approaching the rearfacing weight limit of his Britax Boulevard, I heard some rumors that there was going to be a seat with a 45 pound rearfacing weight limit hitting the market soon. I was ecstatic, since rearfacing is SO much safer I loved the idea of being able too keep my son rearfacing as long as possible. I did some research and found out that the seats would be Radians 80SL and XTSL. I opted for the XTSL with the added head wings since my son rides outboard and the extra protection makes me feel more comfortable about that. The seat was very easy to install both with LATCH and the seatbelt. It is a bit difficult to get an upright install, however. The fact that it folds and can be worn as a backpack (you need to purcase an additional carry strap to make that possible) make the seat very convenient for air travel. We've had the Radian for nearly a year now and I couldn't be happier with it. I LOVE that my 90th percentile for height and weight 3 year old is still comfortably and safely rearfacing!

We bought 3 for a Honda Civic and the BEST car seat out there!

from Charlotte, NC

Comments about Sunshine Kids RadianXTSL Convertible Car Seat:

We bought 3 of these when we only had a Honda Civic (small car). Fantastic fit! We use it with a 6 year old, 3 year old, and 2 year old. These are WELL WORTH the money for safety and peace of mind. Extremely easy to put in, take out, wash, and use.

Sunshine Kids XTSL Car Seat is Nice

from Glen Carbon, IL

Comments about Sunshine Kids RadianXTSL Convertible Car Seat:

We like our XTSL with the exception of the pull strap tightening when having the seat rearfacing it's very difficult to feel like you have your little one secured snug enough. We love the seat overall but find it diffucult to get him snug.

A Great Car Seat