Other Car Seats:

Safety 1st Alpha Omega Elite Convertible Car Seat

Pros

Cons

• Support and Safety:

Great for forward facing, but not much else

I have had this carseat since my son was born in 2004. At first, it did not seem like it was very comfortable for him because it didn't recline enough (even with a towel underneath) and his head would slump forward while he was alseep. I have loved it as a forward facing car seat, it's easy to buckle (he can do it himself now) and the straps are easy to adjust without having to rethread.

I dislike that the cupholder does not attach well enough to actually be useful, and also a major concern.....This year the National Highway Safety Whatever agency came out with their safety ratings the way that booster seats position your child's seatbelt, and this seat was in the "discontinue using immediately and buy another one" category. This makes me uneasy and somewhat angry that I will have to buy another seat...but safety comes first of course and so my son will have to use another seat when he reaches the max. height and weight for forward facing.

Hate it

I am a car seat tech and I HATE when a parent comes in with this seat for me to install. For one it doesn't fit newborns like it claims to. For rear facing in the car a the straps must be at or below the shoulder to protect the child. The first slots in this seat are much too high to fit a newborn properly. Second it is extremely hard to get a good install in this seat, rear facing. It takes up a lot of room as well. It is also quickly outgrown by height and it often requires a pool noodle to install rear facing. It also advertises that it can be used as a booster and it has a deadly fit for a booster. It places the lap belt too high on the abdomen when it should be at the top of the thighs. For as quickly as it is outgrown it is overpriced.

Ease of Installation
Extremely frustrating to install. Often requires a pool noodle or 2 or 3 to get a proper recline.

Child's Comfort
I have never heard a child complain about this seat being uncomfortable, however it makes the passengers uncomfortable because of all the room it takes up.

Support and Safety
It is safe if used properly and does pass NHTSA standards but not safe for a newborn or used as a booster like it says it is.

Plan on another one very soon

from Ohio

About Me Parent of Two or More Children

Pros

• Comfortable
  • Easy to Adjust
  • Easy to install
  • Lightweight
  • Safe

Cons

• Infants
    • Newborn
    • Preemies
    • Toddlers

Comments about Safety 1st Alpha Omega Elite Convertible Car Seat:

It is a great carseat easy to install and use. My son loves climbing in and going places with Grandma. He tries to help buckle up and can't wait to drive. It is a very comfortable carseat and he loves it. Reasonable priced and a very safe seat for little ones

Puts safety first

Comments about Safety 1st Alpha Omega Elite Convertible Car Seat:

This safety 1st Alpha Omega Elite Convertible Car Seat really does put safety first. Although I think the Alpha Omega Elite part of the title is a bit of an exaggeration, this car seat does seem very safe for my child. The only problem I have with it is that it is quite heavy to carry around when I am switching cars. It is very comfortable though. My child often falls asleep in it in the long car rides on family trips. This allows for some peace in my hectic life. The side bar handles are comfortable and just the right height for my child’s arms. They also ensure she does not fall to the side of the seat while sleeping. It helps containing her in general, since she is often very energetic and noisy. The seat belts are sturdy and tight and I know she will be safe in the car. The side pillows especially help her sleep. The back pillow is at just the right height. The bottom line is that this car seat keeps my child safe and comfortable.

Very good seat!

from Empire, AL

Comments about Safety 1st Alpha Omega Elite Convertible Car Seat:

I bought this seat for my daughter when she grew out of her newborn seat. I wanted something that would last so I wouldn’t have to keep buying car seats. She moved into it around 4-5 months old rear facing. When the seat is rear facing it takes up a LOT of space in the car. But it is solid and strong and holds the baby in like it is supposed to. When we finally turned her around at the right time to be forward facing it did take up less space but it is still a very bulky and large seat. It adjusts to meet the needs of a growing child. The headrest adjusts so that the 5 point harness fits at the appropriate shoulder level. It can hold a child until they reach the point where they sit in a regular seatbelt booster. I have used this with all three of my children and it has lasted and lasted. We have never been in an accident but I have no doubt it will hold up if we were. The only down side to this seat is that it is a pain to take apart to wash the fabric. It takes screw drivers or knives to pry open the pieces to get the fabric out. Overall I am very happy with this purchase. It was well worth the money.

Ease of Installation
    It is large and sometimes a pain to lug around or move.

Child's Comfort
    My children fall asleep all the time in it with no complaints of discomfort.

It can be hard to unbuckle sometimes but it keeps little hands from unbuckling themselves so that is ok with me.

We have used it for 3 children and it is still going strong.

• Support and Safety:

Not the only carseat you'll ever need!

Comments about Safety 1st Alpha Omega Elite Convertible Car Seat:

This seat as marketed as the only seat you'll ever need which is completely UNTRUE! Yes, it will work for an infant/toddler rear facing, a toddler in 5 pt harness forward facing AND a child in booster mode, but it expires in 6 years.

Ease of Installation
    Not terribly difficult to get a proper install. Found it easier to install rear facing than forward facing.

Child's Comfort
    In rear facing installation my son was much happier in this seat that forward facing. Installed correctly when forward facing the seat doesn't recline very much and when kids fall asleep they flop forward.

Support and Safety
    I found that the chest clip would slide easily - one side would be at the right level but the other side would be too far down.

Easy enough to adjust the harness tension but to raise the shoulder belt level was a pain and you essentially have to uninstall it to do so.

Needs work to adjust the harness height at the shoulders. Having to uninstall to adjust it leads to improper installs if you're in a rush.

Minimal sun fading installed in center. Washes well. Padding went flat fairly quickly.

Hate it

Love this car seat!

Comments about Safety 1st Alpha Omega Elite Convertible Car Seat:

We have this car seat in my husband's car. I can't even begin to say how much we love it.

He has a hatch back and it fits really well in the car. So even though it looks large, for people with smaller interiors it actually fits really well.

It is also easy to adjust. Which was nice for me because I find that some can be complicated or hard to do so.

Also, a couple months ago we were in an accident and my son was in this car seat when it happened. He walked away with no injuries and I know a large part of that has to do with this car seat being so awesome. The head and neck supports are great. I also really like the arm rests and that the cup holder can be removed if so desired.

We replaced the car seat just to be safe after the accident, we replaced it with the same one we love it so much.

As a side note I also have found it easy to clean. He threw up in it once and it cleaned up really well and fairly easily considering what I had to get up from it.

DO NOT GET THIS!!!!

Comments about Safety 1st Alpha Omega Elite Convertible Car Seat:

If you plan on bringing your newborn home from the hospital-do not get this item otherwise you will more than likely will not be able to bring them home especially if they are under 6 pounds. We were told that this car seat would work for our twins, well we purchased 2 of them, and on the day we were released from the hospital we were told by hospital staff that they were not able to come home with us in those car seats. So we had to buy new ones. Our son was 4 pounds and our daughter was 6 pounds. They told us the seats do not recline far enough and that the harness can not secure them safely because it does not go low enough. They also informed us that they see this a lot and many people are forced to get another car seat-not just with twins but with 8 & 10 pound babies.

Ease of Installation
    It's a nice car seat just not for infants.

Child's Comfort
    We do have this for our older child and he likes it and helps him to feel like a big boy.

Support and Safety
    Great for older kids not so great for infants.

Product & sales associates like to make it sound like you are saving money by buying only 1 car seat. Yeah sounds great but overall not great. The seat does not recline back far enough for newborns and the harness does not go low enough to help secure them in correctly.

Worth it. Big Time.

Comments about Safety 1st Alpha Omega Elite Convertible Car Seat:

It is great. It has saved us in so pretty good care assignments. Even the police officers us these are sets for their children. It can grow with your child and you can a just it to fit your child as well. I love it. it has done more for us then i can even say. I have had this care set for both my children and my youngest is 2 and a half and does not have a problem with setting setting in it. I have a good experience with this car set and then some.

Ease of Installation
    just but the set belt behind the car set or over the adjust solder strap and your good to go.

Child's Comfort
    I have a 2 year old that does not complain about setting in it. Only bad thing about it is that it gets hot fast but that's not to if you have ac.

Support and Safety
    Great. Saved us from 2 car accidents. One with my oldest then another with my youngest.

Great. The manual is east to read and they have videos on how to a lot of things.

It is a black color and does get hot easy. We do have to turn the car on and cool the care down but that's is not to bad.

Great. I have the older model but it has been keeping our children safe for almost 5 years.

Ultimate value and safety

Comments about Safety 1st Alpha Omega Elite Convertible Car Seat:

This is a great carseat for the price tag. It has alot of the features of the higher priced carseats. I love the fact that we will only have to purchase one carseat to keep our son safe from birth to booster. It has a nice soft headrest to cradle a little newborn and infants head. It also adjusts up to support their head until they can do it themselves. It rear faces up until 35 lbs with is great since we plan to extended rear face our son. The harness is really adjustable and the padded straps are a nice touch to keep our son comfortable during his time in the car. The armrests fold up while the child is too young to use them or to make strapping the child in easier. It also has a larger headrest for when the child becomes a toddler. It works well with both a standard seat belt and the LATCH system. The one touch tightening system for the harness makes it easily adjustable for when the weather changes and coats are necessary. This seat converts easily to a front facing and 5 point booster and conventional booster. There was a recall on the labeling for installation but the company quickly contacted us and sent a new tag to keep our son safe. The only reason I am rating as good and not very good is because this is a very bulky seat and may not work very well rear facing in smaller, compact cars. We needed to install a pool noodle to get the right incline in my Buick Verano. Other than that it is an amazing seat that I recommend to all new parents.

Ease of Installation
    Rear facing in a compact car requires some strugling

Child's Comfort
    Soft cushy headrests and strap covers make this nice for kids

Side impact rated

Rear facing set up is hard in a small car

Love the convertability

Takes a beating and cleans up easily

• Support and Safety:

Safety First Carseat is best for older children.

from St. Louis, MO

Comments about Safety 1st Alpha Omega Elite Convertible Car Seat:

The Safety First Alpha Omega Convertible Car Seat seems like a dream come true where car seats are concerned. And, in many ways, it is. It is super durable. Built to last, the plastic is sturdy and somewhat flexible rather than brittle. The component parts are all sturdy plastic or metal and the fabric is high quality. It is also well padded. A parent can feel that their child is well protected: from the roller coaster style harness, to the side-impact head cushions. Also, the car seat itself is easy to adjust. To change the height of shoulder straps, there is a metal hook system on the back of the seat where you can easily detach the straps, put them through higher or lower settings, and reattach them.

However, there are some drawbacks to this carseat, mostly in the rear-facing option. Firstly, the seat does have a "reclining" lever, which is supposed to make it more comfortable for infants facing the rear. In my experience, the reclining function does not go back far enough for an infant. Also, the infant insert increasing a baby's tendency to hunch forward, so instead of leaning back comfortably, infants are often left with their heads flopping onto their chests. That being said, many infants will grow out of the infant head support quickly enough that you can soon use the seat without it. Still, I prefer to use my infant carseat until my little one is old enough to hold his head up well.

Additionally, strapping the seat in forward-facing is not difficult. The same cannot be said of strapping it in rear-facing. You have to thread the seat belt under the actual cushion, which is quite difficult. It does get better with practice, but if you are changing the car seat from one car to another with any frequency, it gets tedious.

However, as a forward facing car seat, this one cannot be beat. Just don't expect it to be perfection for all stages of your baby's life.

Ease of Installation
    Forward facing: easy. Rear facing: difficult.

Child's Comfort
    After infancy, carseat is very comfortable.