3.1

3.1

Pros

Cons

Sun-In Lemon Does A Great Job At Lightening My Husband's Hair

My husband has natural dishwasher blonde hair. Through the years it has grown darker, especially in the winter months. I prefer his hair when it is lighter. Unwilling to color his hair, we found an excellent compromise in the Sun-In Lemon product. I was able to find this on sale at my local Bed Bath & Beyond and was surprised by how cheap it was.

Sun-In Lemon was extremely easy to use. I simply sprayed the solution into my husband's damp hair and combed it through his hair, picking out strands for a streak effect. He let his hair air dry naturally for 10 minutes and then followed the directions of blow drying his hair (the other option is to let it dry naturally in the sun).

The results were instant. Within 20 minutes of applying the solution, his hair was noticeably lighter and brighter. I was impressed with the results. So much so that this has become a somewhat regular monthly routine. Whenever his hair starts getting darker (especially in the winter months), we pull out the Sun-In and touch it up.

Overall, I would give Sun-In Lemon a full 5 out of 5 stars. It is cheap, leaves my husband's hair lighter and gives him the sun kissed look that I like so much. The only slight negatives are that it does have an acrid chemical smell to it and it doesn't last all that long before it requires a touch up.

It really does a great job of lightening and brightening my husband's dishwasher blonde hair.

Ease of Application
Could not be any easier. Simply spray in, comb through for all over coverage or pull out strands for streaks. Then air dry naturally in the sun or blow dry on a warm heat setting using a hair dryer.

Worst hair lightening product you could use on your hair.

Sun In was all the rage in the 80's and 90's. Everyone and their mom had tried it, and I even made the bad decision to try it to.
Read complete review

This product claims to lighten your hair and give you natural looking highlights. Unless you are a natural blonde you will end up with terrible uneven orange brassy results. It also claims to be alcohol free, even if it is it's still really bad, especially since the main ingredient is hydrogen peroxide.

You can either use sun in directly in sunlight when you're tanning outside or you can use a hair dryer for faster results. Heat activates the hydrogen peroxide, thus making your hair lighter.

I tried to lighten my hair using sun in and it left it feeling really dry, orange, and brassy. It's also not good to dye over this either because who knows what kind of chemical reaction you could have on top of your head. It also says that you should not use this on already dyed hair. Even if you do manage to get a good hair color from this, it will damage your hair beyond repair. My hair was so unhealthy after using this, I had a lot of split ends that couldn't be fixed without cutting my hair. It's basically like using regular hair bleach, since bleach contains hydrogen peroxide. Except you're using it over a long period of time with a hair dryer. So you're better off just going to a salon and getting highlights there. This also smells terrible, it smells like strong lemon scents hydrogen peroxide. Not only that, but this stuff really stings your skin. It made my skin burn leaving it looking white and bleached out. That can't be good for your scalp. It always made my hair feel like straw after using it, and had a weird coated feeling.

I would not suggest using this even if you are a blonde. It causes more damage then it's worth and you're better off just using regular hair bleach in your hair instead. I don't even know how Sun in managed to last into the 2000's. Should have left it in the 1990's where it belongs.

It does lighten your hair, but depending on what color your hair is beforehand will determine how light it will get. Most people end up with brassy orange hair. It lightens your hair slowly with hydrogen peroxide. It works after a long period of time but by then your hair will be really damaged.

Ease of Application
It's easy to use because you just spray it in your hair, comb it through, and use a blow dryer to dry your hair.

What a joke.

from Elko, Nevada

Comments about Sun-In, Lemon:

I have tried Sun-In so many times over the years it is not even funny. Growing up in Arizona in the summer, I would always put it in my hair hoping that with the hot sun and the spray in my hair, it would lighten it up from super dark brown to at least lighter brown. It never even worked a tiny bit, my hair always looked exactly the same and it did not even give me any desired results. This product may work better if you have a little bit lighter of hair, but if you have really dark hair it is not worth spending the time, effort, or the money on this product because it is worthless and does nothing for your hair. It has a very pleasant smell to it, and it is very easy to spray in and use, but that is about it. This is a very cheap product and I think that is something to take into account when you want to know how well it is going to work out for you. I will never use this again and I would never recommend it to anyone either.

• Ease of Application:

Good product if you are not looking for drastic results.

from Las Vegas, NV

Comments about Sun-In, Lemon:

I used this for many years in the summer time on my natural brown hair color when I was younger. It really brought out the natural highlights in my hair and made them more golden. It did not lighten the rest of my hair much, but that was not what I was going for anyway. It made me look so summery and beachy, which was really fitting for the season I used it in. The results were actually noticeable because I remember my father asking me if I had been to the salon and done something to my hair. It took a while to see a difference, probably about two weeks of sun bathing everyday. It is so easy to apply. You just spray it in wherever you want it to lighten or bring out highlights, which was everywhere for me. It dried quickly so you do not have to worry about going out with wet hair if you are going out. It smelled unpleasant, like a lemon kitchen cleanser, but it was not too bad after it dried.

It takes a while to see results, but it does not damage your hair. It brings out your natural highlights if you have a light to a medium hair color.

Ease of Application
All you do is spray it where you want.

• Ease of Application:

Wouldn't suggest it for dark hair, but it's okay for light hair.

from Kansas

Comments about Sun-In, Lemon:

This isn't that great of a product. It's kind of a too good to be true type thing. It's not horrible but it's not great.

I had red hair and I used to have blonde highlights in it in the summer. [I don't do that anymore, that was back in High School]. I used the Lemon Sun-In to keep the blonde highlights developed for longer. It worked fairly well at keeping the blonde, blonde. It didn't ever have much of an effect on my natural red hair.

You simply spray the product in your hair and either blow dry it or go into the sun. Me being a redhead with the typical fair skin, the sun was a no go. But I did try it a few times and think that worked better than the blow dryer option. When you spray the product in your hair, it makes your hair smell gross. The lemon scent is just, ew.

My mom tried to use the product in her dark hair to lighten it a bit. Instead she ended up with a weird orange tint to her hair. I've heard a few other people mention that also.

So, overall I say it's good at keeping blonde color blonde, but not good for other hair colors. Maybe a light brown would be okay, but I wouldn't risk having some funky color in your hair due to the product.

• Ease of Application:

do not use unless you want dry orange hair

Comments about Sun-In, Lemon:

I have dark blonde hair and i was looking for an inexpensive way to lighten my hair so I decided to try Sun-in, Lemon. I have heard about the natural bleaching effects that lemon has on hair so I was excited to try something less harsh then bleach.

I sprayed the product all over my hair... Root to tip, and then ran a blow dryer over my hair to activate the product.
The first time i used it i didn't notice anything so i applied more solution the next day. I knew that it would be a gradual process so I decided to keep applying more product every couple days until I reached my desired color. After about 2 weeks of continuing this process my hair had a bright orange tint and became very dry and dull looking.
The scent of the sun-in is horrible. It's like a chemical smell mixed with a fake lemon scent.

If you try this product I suggest testing it on a couple strands of hair to see how your hair reacts...
But I highly suggest staying away from this product since it can dry out hair and turn it brassy.

• Ease of Application:

not the best but it works it only works in summer time

Comments about Sun-In, Lemon:

I always liked the blonde color or the dirty blonde looking type colors without harsh chemical lighteners. I tried using the Sun in lemon and it only works if you go in the sun. It doesn't lighten your hair like blonde but it will kind of lighten it a couple shades lighter then what you already have. My hair is naturally a light brown so when I sprayed this all over my hair and went in the sun I didn't see results until after a few uses of using it. it gave me tones and hints of gold. It didn't turn all my hair like that but it did seem like tiny small tones of highlights of gold all over. I didn't see a complete difference but I seen a little difference. It says on the bottle to go out in the sun so it won't just work if you spray and go to sleep. The smell doesn't smell all that great it reminds me of like peroxide and lemon mixed. They have different types of the Sun in bottles. I've tried all of them and they all work the same to me.

• Ease of Application:

May be the worst product to lighten your hair.

from lakeland, florida

Comments about Sun-In, Lemon:

My friends and I used to mix peroxide and conditioner to spray our hair while we were at the beach. We always wanted that sun-kissed look and we got the idea from somewhere that this was the way to do it. We loved that stuff, but it definitely stripped our hair of any nutrients. When my mother found about us doing this, she flipped. She bought this product for me and said it did the same thing. It did something similar, but it still killed my hair. My hair was so damaged from using this product that I had to get it cut. This was after about two years of use, though. I would not really recommend this product unless you use it very sparingly. It dried out my hair beyond belief, to the point where no conditioner in the world could have revived it. My split ends were ridiculous. My hairdresser could not even believe that Sun In had caused all the damage to my hair. Stick with lightening your hair either naturally by being in the sun or having your hairdresser do it professionally.

• Ease of Application:

Worst hair lightening product you could use on your hair.

from Stroudsburg, PA

• Ease of Application:

Nice for natural looking highlights

Comments about Sun-In, Lemon:

This is not dye, and it will not turn brown hair blonde or anything like that, but it does effectively lighten your hair to reveal your natural highlights. You do need to expose it to heat or sun for it to be effective. The scent is very nice and fresh and lemony. I find if you use it too much it can make your hair look greasy and dull, but using it sparingly gives a really nice brightening effect.

Sun-In Lightens Hair

from wilkes barre, PA

Comments about Sun-In, Lemon:

I used sun-in for the first time this summer. I have dark "dirty" blonde hair and wanted to get highlights without have to go to the salon. After washing my hair I sprayed the sun-in in and combed it through to ensure even application. I usually let it dry in the when I am doing work outside. After repeating this routine about 4 times I was able to see my hair became a little blonder. It definitely produces a gradual lightening. Sun-In does work, I was able to lighten my hair, however, the shade of blonde that I got was brassy and had a little tint of red, which I was not expecting. So to be able to get the shade of blonde I wanted I would have to use a hair toner after using sun-in to correct the color. I did not really like the smell of the product either. You can smell the peroxide and it was unpleasant to keep it in my hair until my hair was dry. Even after my hair had dried I would still smell the sun-in and have to wash my hair again. Applying the product it fairly easy, but it is a pain to make sure the coverage is even.

Lighten my blonde, but resulted in a brassy color.

Ease of Application
Easy to apply, but it is hard to make sure you have even coverage.

Good for blondes

Comments about Sun-In, Lemon:

If you want permanent hair color than this is not for you. However, if you are a blonde and want to lighten up your hair or add some very natural looking highlights to your hair then this is the product for you. Sun in works great for natural blondes who want to lighten up their blonde hair for even blonder results, or add some perfectly natural looking highlights. It does however and often i found, that it does take several times of using and doing before you really notice any color change. It easy super easy to apply. All you have to do is spray it in your hair, take a comb and comb it through (to even all the dye or lightener throughout your hair), then you either sit in the nice hot sun for a while or you can blow dry it through. The easy application makes it perfect to use at the beach, or on vacation. It is also in a very easy to carry bottle, so you can store it away nicely in your beach bag.