Other Hair Colorings:
Clairol
Clairol Natural Instincts Hair Color

Clairol Natural Instincts Hair Color

Pros

• Easy to use (3)
  • Gentle (3)
  • Great color (3)
  • Natural look (3)

• New look (3)
  • Touch ups (3)
    • Permanent (3)
    • Reviewer Profile:
    • Beauty conscious (3)

Clairol Natural Instincts Clove is my favorite hair color!

I have used Clairol Natural Instincts over five times and it always leaves my hair feeling softer than before. It both feels and looks silker and shinier. Also, the color has always stayed pretty true to the picture on the box. The color does slowly fade with time, but it does not fade into strange color hues like some other brands of hair color do. I have not had any trouble with unwanted red or orange tones. The Clove (medium ASH brown) helps fight unwanted brassiness. However, I have tried other brands of ash browns and they gave my hair a weird greenish tint. Natural Instincts seemed to lean more toward a pretty golden brown. My blonde highlights that I initially covered did start to show through after about two weeks, but they did so in a very natural looking, pretty, shiny way. The application process of Clairol Natural Instincts was very quick and easy...12 minute total process. Plus, there was plenty of formula to saturate my entire head of hair evenly, and I have very thick, long hair (ends at the small of my back).

Not permanent but not...impermanent either

I have used the Clairol Natural Instincts line of hair dye since I was a teenager. In that time I have had varying experiences with it. At times, I have found it to barely work (when dying virgin hair) and to work a little too well (when dying more porous hair). Sometimes it has washed out quickly, sometimes it has not washed out at all. So overall, I have found the product to be fairly unpredictable. I ceased using it for normal hair color, but picked up a box in the medium ash brown shade last year when I wanted to attempt to tone down a lightening job that had gone a little brassy. I found that this color did a pretty good job of this -- removing some of the excess warmth without going to dull. Unfortunately, I found that it was extremely drying -- more so than other permanent hair dyes I had done this with before (and not merely because of repeated dye jobs either - the next one I used did not have this effect).

I would definitely buy this product again!!!

from Shreveport, LA

About Me Beauty Conscious

Pros

• Easy To Use
  • Gentle
  • Great Color
  • Natural Look
  • Quick

Cons

• Doesn't cover grays very well
  • Doesn't Last

• New Look
  • Shinier, more vibrant hair color

Comments about Clairol Natural Instincts Hair Color:

I have been using this product for awhile now & I absolutely love it!!!! It always turns out to be the prettiest color & it actually makes my hair feel softer & healthier instead of damaging it! It is very easy to use & very quick! I would definitely recommend trying this product.

NOT RECOMMENDED - dye didn't cover greys

from HOME, CANADA

Pros

Cons

• Doesn't Last

Comments about Clairol Natural Instincts Hair Color:

Cheap product, didn't do it's job at all

• Permanent

it is very very very good i do use again

from CA

About Me Beauty Conscious

Pros

• Easy To Use
      • Gentle
      • Great Color
      • Long-Lasting
      • Natural Look
      • Versatile

Cons

• Messy

• Graying Hair
      • Thicker Hair
      • Thinner Hair

Comments about Clairol Natural Instincts Hair Color:

i use this product simply

• Permanent
      • I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

Yes! Amazing! I would use this again

from United Kingdom

About Me Beauty Conscious

Pros

• Easy To Use
      • Gentle
      • Great Color
      • Leaves hair silky soft
      • Long-Lasting
      • Natural Look

Comments about Clairol Natural Instincts Hair Color:

I have used Clairol Natural Instincts over a number of years and it always leaves my hair feeling amazing. It leaves my hear feeling silky soft and looking healthier than before. I usually go for a dark brown colour as I prefer this to my natural (uneven light brown) colour... the colour has always been the same as described on the box and the permanent dye has only mildly faded ... my roots grow and I re-dye before it has lost it's shade and shine. The application process is written in simple steps and very easy to follow...12-15 minutes altogether. I also only needed to use one application and I usually use need 2 for full coverage ... (mid back length hair)

• Permanent

Nice hair color and easy on the hair and head!

from Ottawa Illinois

Comments about Clairol Natural Instincts Hair Color:

Excellent hair coloring and great for sensitive scalps. This is perfect for me as I have to dye my hair often as my hair grows fast and this is perfect for touch ups on the roots also. I also can find coupons for this to get it at a lower price!

I used the medium ash blonde and it dyed my grey hair well. I didn't want to go too light but also not too dark as my hair is greying and this was perfect. My hair colors really easy, even with it being grey and this did the job in 25 minutes. It rinsed out clean and fully dyed the hair to the root evenly.

Ease of Application
        IT does still take a bit of contortion to see in the mirror if you got it all over your head but the color mixed well and was applied to my hair with no problems. It didn't drip at all and it stayed put on my head while waiting for it to color my hair. Rinsing and using the conditioner to seal in the hair color was a snap and I like how it made my dry hair feel silky and soft!

• Ease of Application:

I'll NEVER USE THIS AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

from Warren, OH

Comments about Clairol Natural Instincts Hair Color:

I purchased the color I always use and it turned my hair BLACK. I got LIGHT BROWN. And I followed the directions to a T. I didn't leave it on too long either.

When I purchased Light Brown that's what I expected to get. Instead it turned it BLACK. I don't understand why. When I called the company they had no answers for me.

k

Ease of Application
        It was easy to apply,and I'm left handed. Which is sometimes hard to apply.

• Ease of Application:

The medium auburn brown (formerly cinnaberry) is the best.

Comments about Clairol Natural Instincts Hair Color:

Great color. Great product and much less expensive than going to the salon. Love that each box contains gloves and it is very easy to mix and apply. Quick too!

Ease of Application
        I am always getting compliments on my hair color. It even happens when I go to the salon for my haircuts.

• Ease of Application:

Just as good as any other hair dye

Comments about Clairol Natural Instincts Hair Color:

I found the Clairol Natural Instincts Hair Colour dye to be very similar to other hair dye brands. I always put facial moisturiser all over my face, neck and ears so that it is easy to remove the dye off my skin with baby wipes as I am applying it myself at home and every single hair dye brand will stain the skin with that colour. The Clairol Natural Instincts dye left my hair shiny and glossy and the colour came out as I had expected it would. Like all permanent dyes it is not entirely permanent as the dyed colour fades quickly over time and dulls from using heated hair tools like the hair straightener, the Clairol Natural Instincts Hair Colour dye faded and dulled at the same rate as the other brands. I washed my hair nearly every day regardless of it fading the dye faster as I can’t stand to have unwashed hair, so with my hair the colour started to fade a lot on the second week. I would recommend this hair dye as it did do what it was supposed to which was to change my hair colour.

Decent hair color.

from Kansas

Comments about Clairol Natural Instincts Hair Color:

I'm a redhead and I dye my hair a little bit darker shade of red on a regular basis. The problem with red hair dye is that the pigment lasts less time compared to other hair colors. It was way too expensive to go to a salon and get my hair dyed on a monthly basis. I started doing it at home instead to save money. I've tried a LOT of different dyes and Clairol Natural Instincts is fairly good. It's only 10 minutes to apply and makes your hair look healthy.

I really like that the product doesn't contain ammonia. That's one of it's best selling points, in my opinion. Also, it only takes 10 minutes for the color to work. A lot of other dyes it takes 25 minutes. Compared to all the other dyes I have tried the Natural Instincts makes my hair look the healthiest. It really adds shine and softens my hair. The color did not last any longer than any other box dye, but I've come to expect that with the red dyes.

I recommend at least giving the hair dye a try. It only takes 10 minutes!

• Ease of Application:

The color doesnt match up perfectly and the smell is strong.

from Princeton, WV

Comments about Clairol Natural Instincts Hair Color:

I bought this hair dye in a light brown color. My hair is a mix somewhere between a dark blonde and a light brown so I figured light brown was my best bet. The color was a little messy. The gloves inside the box are huge. They're so large they slip off my hands. I tried rubber banding them to my wrists but I couldn't work inside them so I opted to use this bare handed. This stuff stings like crazy if you have a cut or hang nail.

All that aside, the color itself smells really bad. It smells like ammonia. It's very strong. The natural instincts part of the title makes it seem as if it may be more natural for you and your hair but nothing about this smells natural. It's very harsh.

The color turned out dark. I matched my current hair color on the box to the suggested time and left it on the exact amount of recommended time. It turned out almost chocolate brown instead of light and golden. The color was pretty and natural looking and it even had a good shine after using the conditioner that came with it but it was way too dark. I used a little bleach and clarifying shampoo to tone it down but it still didn't lighten up enough. I let the color fade naturally over the course of about a year while my old color grew in. It just doesn't match well. I tried again later in the dark blonde shade and again, it was way too dark compared to the color on the box. I think they're color charts are way off.

The dye was way too dark, even in a lighter shade.

Ease of Application
        It's a bit frustrating to mix the separate containers together and the gloves do not fit very well. It gets everywhere and you have to scrub it off your skin.