Other Washing Machines:

Speed Queen Top Load Washer

Pros

Cons

Good basic washer

I like my Speed Queen washer, but I don't love it. It is a great basic washer, if that is what you're looking for. When I was in the market for a new washer a year ago, it was exactly what I was looking for because of one basic reason: I use cloth diapers. When washing things like diapers, it is to your advantage to be able to set the amount of water to what you want rather than having the machine decide for you (which is what HE washers do). It has a pre-wash/soak feature that I was looking forward to using for those really dirty loads, but I was disappointed when I realized that you have to manually start the regular wash cycle when the pre-wash is finished. With my last washer, it started automatically after the pre-wash. My laundry room is in the basement, so now I have to start the pre-wash when I load the washer, go back upstairs and set my kitchen time so that I don't forget about it (lol!) and then go back down to start the regular wash cycle. It's not a huge deal, but I do wish that it wasn't designed that way. The wash cycle is very quick, about 35 minutes for a large load. The options are basic: load size, water temp, and regular, delicates, or pre-wash/soak.

Energy Efficiency
Obviously not as efficient as HE washers.

Cleaning Time
35 minutes per load and everything comes out clean. Now, if I could find a dryer that was that quick, too, I would be in laundry heaven!

Haven't had any problems.

Options are very basic, which lends well to easy of use.

Nothing fancy.

So far, so good and I do a lot of laundry! I appreciate the 3 yr warranty on these washers, too. Every other one that I looked at had only a 1 yr warranty.

Practical and efficient

It is a good machine. I would give a higher rating but it is kind of really loud when on the spin cycle. Other than that it does get the clothes clean and therefore does the job it is suppose to do.

It is very simple to use.

For the price it could have been a little bit more attractive.

American Made

from Etlan, Va

About Me Occasional User

Comments about Speed Queen Top Load Washer:

Our Speed Queen is at least 10 yrs old. I replaced a hot water valve, otherwise it's fine. I had a repair guy over to fix a BRAND NEW ROPER at a rental house. It's still broke. He works on everything but LG & said Speed Queen is the best, MX wise. I have a fairly new LG front load at another rental house that won't power up. Junk.
Stay away from hi-tech junk that has problematic automation, sensors & computers.

high quality, durable, reliable, effectiveness

from Southern Minnesota

About Me Heavy Duty User

Pros

• Adjustable Settings
  • Clean Clothes Well
  • Large Capacity
  • Quiet
  • Spins Clothes Dry

Cons

• Bedding
    • Delicates
    • Everyday Clothes
    • Heavy/Bulky Items
    • Towels

Comments about Speed Queen Top Load Washer:

I do tons of laundry! 3-6 loads a day 6-7 days a week. 5 farm boys and a princess that changes clothes too often! Machine in an unheated cellar in MN. I never overload! Run at small bushel size loads or 1 large quilt, 3-4 sm. bath rugs. 5 adult jeans etc/ex. I use HE soap just cause, we have softened & filtered well water, usually med. depth water and pretty much always cold water, normal cycle time. Whites sm- med depth water hot switch to warm I soak for 30 mins then run normal cycle also I add chlorine bleach to this cycle. Had machine 9 mos so far so good. I hope I get to update this again with exact same info!

Simple, yet Reliable!

Comments about Speed Queen Top Load Washer:

I am very happy with my family's purchase of the Speed Queen Top Load Washer. We bought it for our recently renovated basement, and it fit nicely in the space. We already have a washer we use on a regular basis, but after trying this washer out, I find myself using this machine quite often. The wash cycles are shorter for smaller loads. I can throw a few of my kids clothes in, and save so much time. The assembly was easy for my husband, and the overall usage is easy to understand. It didn't take long after set up before we had this washing machine in use. I would definitely recommend for any space, as this machine is very versatile.

Energy Efficiency
    We thought with adding a new washer to our household, that our bills would sky rocket, but contrary to our beliefs, we've actually saved money washing less loads and using less water.

Cleaning Time
    I've literally put a load in, went to wash the dishes, and boom the clothes were finished. I am very pleased with cleaning time.

Top-notch Washer

Comments about Speed Queen Top Load Washer:

The Speed Queen is a fabulous washer! It's an old-fashioned top-loader (which are becoming harder and harder to come by) but it's a workhorse. I would highly recommend it to anyone who wants a great washer that will last for a long time!

Energy Efficiency
    I haven't noticed a great deal of difference in energy usage between the Speed Queen and the washer I had before this one. But I'm also not sure how that compares to other washers.

Cleaning Time
    So many "high efficiency" washers have extremely long wash cycles, often 90 minutes or more. Speed Queen is so much faster!

Stellar performance!

No fancy color touch screen. Just knobs and buttons. Functional and self-explanatory.

You can get any color you want, as long as it's white! Really, though, it's not fancy, but it's a washing machine; does it need to be a beautiful piece of furniture?

Since Speed Queens are built to be used in laundromats, they are extremely durable. I don't anticipate having to replace mine for 20 years.

good basic washing machine

Comments about Speed Queen Top Load Washer:

I have had the speed queen washing machine going on six years now, and haven't experienced any trouble with it so far. The previous washing machine I had only lasted me about four years and just suddenly stopping working, so i invested in this one. I don't think there's anything really special about the speed queen, it's just like any other basic washing machine, as far as settings and function. It generally washes a load in about a half an hour, it has a porcelain steel outer drain tub and an automatic balancing system. It works great for large loads, Ive never had that banging around loud noise like I got from large loads with my previous machine. It has lasted me this long and If anything were to happen to it I would definitely stick with this brand when buying in the future. I would recommend this washing machine based on the ease of use, and the fact that it has gone this long without any real problems at all.

Practical and efficient

Comments about Speed Queen Top Load Washer:

It is very simple to use.

For the price it could have been a little bit more attractive.

Great Product!

Comments about Speed Queen Top Load Washer:

This washer gets the job done! Does not leave residue on clothing, has a quick wash cycle.

Energy Efficiency
    I'm not sure how it compares to many other brands, but we use less water than with our kitchenaid washer. Our water bill was cut in half after making the switch. I'm not sure if our old washer just used a ton of water or if this one is really great!

Cleaning Time
    30 minutes, it is always done quicker than the drier.

Have had 2 months with no problems.

Doesn't have many extra things to confuse you.

We got a dented one on sale and it works just fine :) The laundry mat I used to go to had Speed Queen washers and driers. To me, if your business revolves around having efficient washers and drier that do not break down, you want the most durable ones on the market. They were seldom out of order and they got the job done as quickly as I would have liked, so, I'd say they are pretty durable.

• Cleaning Time:

Quality, made to last basic machine

from Steele, AL

Comments about Speed Queen Top Load Washer:

I was looking for a dependable, made to last basic washing machine without all the fancy bells and whistles that I never use. The top loading Speed Queen AWN 412 fits the bill. This machine is as close as you'll get to the way they used to make 'em!
    The Speed Queen washer is not flimsy. I can push on the metal sides, and it's solid. Unlike my old washer, this Speed Queen is so heavy, that I can't move it. My old washer was so easy to move, that I disconnected it and moved it out from the wall before my new washer was delivered so that I could clean the space where it sat. This Speed Queen is so heavy that I can't even tilt up the front end of it.
    The controls are knobs that you turn rather than electronic controls. There's a total of three control knobs - two small ones on the left, and one large knob on the right. One of the small knobs controls the water temperature and the other small knob enables you to select the size of the load from mini to extra large. The large knob on the right provides the cycle selection consisting of NORMAL, PERMANENT PRESS, HANDWASH/DELICATE and SOAK/PREWASH. That's it, a basic, no frills way to get your laundry done!
    The maximum water level can be adjusted by turning a control on the back of the machine. There is another control to adjust the rate that the water drains out. The basket where you place your clothes is stainless steel which can spin at a faster speed. When the machine is run, it doesn't vibrate nor is it too noisy and it finishes a load in a reasonable amount of time. It has done a good job with washing the large queen/king size pet blankets, the towels, jeans and all my other laundry.
    This machine is Made in USA and comes with a 3 year parts and labor limited warranty on the complete washer, 5 years for the cabinet, 5 years for the motor, 10 years for the transmission assembly and lifetime on the tub. This is a general summary and there are more details regarding the warranty provided in the paperwork.
    The top loading Speed Queen AWN 412 is a little more expensive than some of the cheaper made washers, but this machine is built to go the distance. Although I prefer to write reviews after having used the product for a longer period of time, if I wait the several years that it would take to do this, this exact model possibly would no longer be available. I replaced my old washer before it quit so I'd have time to shop around without feeling pressured into buying. So, based several months of talking to appliance dealers, reading tons of reviews and less than one month of actual use, I give this machine TWO THUMBS UP!

The Speed Queen washer and dryer are AMAZING!! You won't regret

Comments about Speed Queen Top Load Washer:

The Speed Queen washer is by far the BEST washer I have ever owned (I'm 50). I purchased this model a year ago and it is a workhorse and well worth the money. It's durable, large capacity and no bending over like the front loaders. Applause to Speed Queen -- and made in the USA!!!

This washer is washing four floor rugs in one load right now. The steel lining makes the clothes cleaner -- no residue after washing. You won't regret this washer

Speed Queen top load washer

from Saint Joseph, MN

Comments about Speed Queen Top Load Washer:

It's a trusted brand that is frequently installed in self serve laundries.

Energy Efficiency
    I don't recall what it's rating was when I purchased it. I've only had it five months but I have not had an increase in my water bills or energy increase on my electric bills.

Cleaning Time
    Much more efficient than prior makes I have owned. The agitator works great to clean in lesser time, yet gentle on clothes.

Does great on large and small loads. Also corrects "off load" isues automatically.

"Controls" not complicated and easy to use.

Attractive exterior. Simple easy to keep clean design.

Has a large smooth stainless steel tub which I believe will last longer than other tub material, because it won't chip or pit.