3.8

3.8

Pros

Cons

• Readability:

My first e-reader. Fond memories.

This was my first e-reader. I got it before tablets evolved into the beasts they are today. I have read hundreds of books with this e-reader. You needed good light to read but the battery life was amazing. I really enjoyed the option to separate your books into categories. It allowed me to keep a large number of books on my e-reader while still able to sift through them easily.

Battery Life
The battery life was amazing. I used the e-reader constantly but only had to recharge it every 5 days or so. This was especially useful on trips. If I took the e-reader on a weekend vacation or camping I did not have to worry about the battery life of my reader at all.

Book Choices/Variety
You could download purchased books from the more popular websites. I always downloaded all my books to my main desktop and kept the entire collection in a program called Calibre. Calibre was able to upload any books I wanted right to the e-reader

Readability
As long as you have good light it was great. It was not hard on the eyes and even after reading for a few hours I felt no ill effects. In low light it was a lot harder to read as it had no illumination built into the e-reader.

The different screens were really easy to navigate. I really liked the category menu. It allowed you to see limited information on each book before opening a file to read. Worked best with epubs. If you had too many books, the e-reader took too long to load up after initial startup. This forced me to keep my book selection under 50 to keep it running smooth. All books saved to the memory card would loose all it's metadata if the memory card ever slipped loose or if you accidentally popped it out. This caused me to have to clear the memory card and re download my selections to get the metadata back. It did not happen often but when it did it was really annoying.

The design was nice. Thin, not too heavy. It was easy to hold up for long periods as I read. The screen scratched easy though. After my first scratch I learned to baby the screen to prevent another.

Pretty sturdy construction. I dropped the reader a couple times and it help up like a champ. It kept performing long after two cases wore away and needed to be replaced. The only thing to be really careful of is to protect the screen. It scratched easy and I was always worried about it after the first scratch.

Not bad, but not the best

If you are someone like me who forgets a charger often, this probably isn't the best item. I haven't figured out if the battery simply drains really quickly or if continues draining even when its off. I think its the latter because I can not touch it for days, having fully charged it before putting it away, and it will refuse to turn on because of low battery. It's not very convenient and it probably actually wastes energy. Battery life is a big thing with me, but other than that the eReader is all right, if a bit low tech.

Book Choices/Variety
Not every ebook is available in the Sony store, but you can put Nook books on it too. I haven't tried Kindle books though.

Readability
You can change font size so that it suits your eyes best, but pages are deceptive since one "page" can actually mean three or four.

I'm pretty hard on my technology, but so far my eReader has survived without a scratch and I've had it for a while.

My first e-reader. Fond memories.

Good for what it is

from Medford, NY

Comments about Sony Reader Touch Edition PRS-600:

I got this for Christmas a few years ago. I was so excited. It was technologically advanced back then. But now it would be a bit outdated. That doesn't mean that it is bad. I love it. But just don't expect too much from it other than to read books. This is perfect for someone who gets overwhelmed with too many functions. You can easily download books and read them almost instantly. There is a wide selection of books to read from and some of them are free. The downside is that you will have to delete books from your library in order to make room for new ones. And the battery life is decent and I have found it to last an entire week. Which is perfect for when I am on vacation.

Battery Life
It lasts about a week depending on use.

Readability
The screen isn't perfect. I sometimes see a glare.

Simple and easy to use. There are no confusing settings. It's self explanatory with minimal features.

I love it's design. The casing is beautiful, it's stylish and sleek.

It's pretty durable. But with all handheld technology, it is best to get a cover for it's protection.

Portable library

from Honolulu, HI

Comments about Sony Reader Touch Edition PRS-600:

This was my first experience with an ereader, and I loved being able to carry around multiple books with me everywhere. It is very readable and portable. The touch screen was sometimes difficult to control (would turn too many pages forward or had difficulty selecting a word, etc.). Overall, I would recommend this product to anyone who reads a lot away from home. Perfect for trips and just carrying around in your purse.

• Readability:

Sony reader average and limited reader

from Hampton Bays, NY

Comments about Sony Reader Touch Edition PRS-600:

I received a Sony PSR-600 as a gift and thought I would be in love with it immediately. Without comparing it to any other brands that offer similar options, I must say that I was not impressed. I have a hard time with reading the screen, and have to strain myself to keep the screen at the proper angle and height to view. I have less trouble with friends nooks, etc and never have to recharge a printed book. Also have to have a book light to read in dim areas or night. Ok for travel.

Battery Life
Although I lost my charger and had to pay a fortune to replace the SONY ONLY charger cord the battery life was good

Book Choices/Variety
I found tons of titles to read and don't think a reader will do without a title when they need it

Readability
limited angle variance to see screen clearly. not back llit

easy enough

comfortable size and weight

solid and sturdy. better than most

• Readability:

Excellent device, strange screen, and low reflow capabilities

Comments about Sony Reader Touch Edition PRS-600:

The device itself is very nice. No fancy stuff, maybe excepting audio and pictures that I don't need at all. No WiFI, no 3G/GPRS, but it's enough if you can add your books at home and just read them when you are not connected to a PC.

Not The Best Reader

Comments about Sony Reader Touch Edition PRS-600:

I thought this was the coolest thing when it first came out. Then I saw the Kindle and realized I liked that much more. I don't like the glare while reading on this device. I think the prices of the books on the Sony website is also more expensive than other places like Kindle

Good but freezes

from Victorville, CA

Comments about Sony Reader Touch Edition PRS-600:

I really likes the overall feel and comfort of this EReader but it seems to freeze about once a week. It becomes non responsive and I have to push the reset button wait 15 seconds then push the power button. Finally it cycles back on. Kind of annoying when you're in a good part of a book.

Battery Life
I only charge a couple of times a month!

• Readability:

Great Stylish product that is easy to use and read!

from Fort Worth, TX

Comments about Sony Reader Touch Edition PRS-600:

I wasn't sure that I would use this when I received it as a gift. I thought it would be too much of a hassle. How wrong I was! I love my e-reader and love how easy it is to use and download books too. No more running out tot he store for a book. I can get one within minutes without leaving my home.

Very Good E-Reader

from Bozeman, MT

Comments about Sony Reader Touch Edition PRS-600:

I recommend this as a first e-reader this is very easy to use, and works well with most down-loadable sites. The screen is easy to read, and the size of the text can be changed easily. It was simple to search the Sony Reader store to find titles to download, and the process went smoothly. Not having wireless access isn't really a drawback; it actually makes it simpler to use, in my opinion. The touchscreen is responsive, and the included stylus works well. The free titles already installed are not that great but are easily removed to free up space. The long battery life makes this a great device for vacations - no need to carry several books! Navigation is fairly intuitive, as well. In addition, you can also add music and photos so it's really a very handy multi-media device. It's also possible to take notes, srite memos and draw. I haven't used the Collections feature yet, but can think of ways it would be useful. I've tried a Kindle and Nook, and find the Sony e-Reader much more user friendly.

A good e-reader

from Chicago, IL

Comments about Sony Reader Touch Edition PRS-600:

My husband knew I wanted an e-reader very badly and offered me this one earlier this year. I've never used any other e-reader on the market so I can't compare it with any other but I can tell you it is a very good reader.

What I like :

- I love the size of it. Not too small and not too big. It feels like a regular book in my hands and I appreciate that a LOT.

- It's pretty sturdy. In this almost year of use I let it fall a good dozen times and so far it's still okay, so that's saying something.

- You can listen to music or audio books with it. It's a sony after all !

What I don't really like :

- The monochrom screen is pretty dull. I'm longing to a color e-reader. Sometimes I feel like reading on one of those old computers.

That's it. I don't have much to say against this reader. The price is more than okay for what you get. Sturdy and easy to use and carry, exactly what I was looking for in an e-reader.