Other e-Readers:
Amazon
53 000473
Amazon Kindle Fire HD 8.9"

Amazon Kindle Fire HD 8.9"

Pros

Cons

Love this for reading

I got the Kindle fire because I read a lot of Kindle books and I was using the app for on the PC. I got tired of not being able to take my books along. The Kindle kind of takes place of my cell phone when I'm waiting around. I can play the majority of my games on my Kindle in HD and on a bigger screen. It's like having a tiny laptop in your purse.

Battery Life
I have my screen set to stay on for an hour without being touched. After that it goes to sleep. Depending if I'm online or just reading it could last me a week on one charge or easily longer.

Book Choices/Variety
So many books to choose from. I usually browse all the free books first. I have over 500 titles from cooking, action, mystery, romance, and sci fi books. These is something everyone even the kids. I even have some crafting books too.

Readability
It's very easy to read. If there is a glare just adjust your contrast and you can go on your merry way reading without any issues. I've sat outside at night reading and during the day with the bright sunlight and haven't had any issues.

If your familiar with smart phones and computers this shouldn't be a problem to operate. The operating system is Android but not the same version as the phone. Once you figure out the little menus you shouldn't have any problems.

The design is great. I love that the speakers are on the top and bottom edges of it. I can set it on my treadmill to play music while I run or allow me to watch Netflix while I run and the sound isn't muffled by it laying on anything. It'd easy to hold and still light enough that it doesn't get to heavy. So the weight is distributed nicely.

It's only going to be so durable without a good cover. I have a more soft cover and it works greats. I've never dropped it but if your accident prone just put a little more money into a stronger cover and I don't think there would be any issues.

great product

I use the kindle fire almost every day. I use it to read books and have found a lot of free books to add to my library. It's nice to have 100 books at my disposal. I also use it to check my email, Facebook, play games, and get on the internet. The one thing I do have trouble with is that sometimes the volume stops working for no reason. Sometimes it comes back on after a hard shut down, but sometimes I just have to wait until it starts working again. It can be frustrating if I am trying to watch a video. My kids also like using the kindle fire to play games and there are tons of free apps.

Love my Kindle!

from Los Angeles, California

About Me Practical

Pros

• Attractive Design
  • Durable
  • Easy To Read
  • Good Compatibility
  • Good Screen Quality
  • Long Battery Life

Cons

• Entertainment
    • Everyday
    • Multimedia

Comments about Amazon Kindle Fire HD 8.9":

This is my second Kindle Fire HD. The first was the second generation 7" tablet. For me the only real difference between the two is the size. They're both excellent and I use both all day and every day. However, I prefer the bigger 8.9 size Kindle. With a larger screen everything is much bigger to see. My only complaint is that the 8.9 size is more awkward to hold. But what can you do? It serves it's purpose and I'd be lost without my Kindles. I haven't used my desktop PC in two and a half years. I can take my Kindle Fire HD wherever I go in the house or take it outside on the patio. The built-in camera takes excellent photos. I don't know what the fuss is over the IPads but I am very happy with the Amazon Kindle.

• Was this a gift?:

One of the most beautiful displays for watching movies.

Comments about Amazon Kindle Fire HD 8.9":

I use Kindle Fire 8.9 for everything from reading, emailing, games, and movies. The visual display is wonderful with vivid colors. The speaker system is the best out there in a tablet that I've been able to find.

On/off button location makes it too easy to push accidently.

The Gorilla Glass is very sturdy.

• Readability:

The Kindle has been a saving grace for me!

Comments about Amazon Kindle Fire HD 8.9":

I have had numerous hospital stay's over the last year. I always found myself bored and looking for something to do. I decided to purchase a kindle in hopes it would cure my boredom. It absolutely did that and so much more. The kindle is amazing and feature rich. At first I assumed it would only be something I would use during the awful hospital stay's but no I find myself using it daily..in fact several times a day. I would recommend the kindle to anyone who is looking for something well priced and feature rich!

• Readability:

I love my kindle fire hd!

Comments about Amazon Kindle Fire HD 8.9":

I love my kindle fire hd! I already owned the kindle e-ink reader but decided to upgrade to the kindle fire hd for its many other capabilities besides just for reading my ebooks. I love that you can download apps and games and even surf the web with it! I don't have a computer so my kindle fire hd is how I use Facebook, check emails, play games, etc. I use it daily and it has a great price compared to other tablets on the market right now. I've had mine for well over a year now and hope to have it for many more. It's a great product for avid readers like myself regardless of what genre you prefer, thanks to the wide selection of kindle books available. Kindle editions are usually more affordable than new books from the bookstore and not to mention the many free books you can get as well. I also believe that it's tablet capabilities and low price make it a great choice for non-readers as well.

Love my Kindle

Comments about Amazon Kindle Fire HD 8.9":

The only reason that I did not give this a 10 overall was the battery life. If I am playing a game on this such as candy crush, the battery drains rapidly. I have the power adapter that charges it in shorter time but I do wish the battery could withstand more time playing games. Other than that I love the Kindle. I am a book worm and am most content reading rather than going shopping.

Book Choices/Variety
    I have a large variety of books on my Kindle. I am a prime member so I receive 1 pre-published books every month. I get to choose from 4. There are also free books to download that change daily. I get to try new books without worrying whether I am wasting money on something I may not like.

Using this device is very easy

I like the large screen and the picture quality is fantastic. I always have trouble when it comes to touchscreens, for some reason they just don't like me lol. I have never had any issues with the touchscreens on this product. This is my 3rd Kindle. My first was the basic one that had the keyboard under it and it was not color screen or touch screen. A year after that I upgraded to a Kindle Fire 7" and gave the prior one to my best friend. Not long after that I upgraded to the HD 8.9 and I gave the fire 7" to my children. I am seriously considering upgrading again and giving my children this one as the charger port came lose and it no longer works. I will likely buy the HDX before summer begins.

Amazing!

Comments about Amazon Kindle Fire HD 8.9":

I am a technology junkie and am obsessed with having the newest gadgets, like my smartphone. I had an ipad for a couple of years and loved it but did have some issues and problems. I decided to get the kindle fire hd when the 8.9 first came out because I love kindle books, love amazon, and I loved the price, which happened to be about half of the ipads price. I have been impressed with my kindle! Way better than my ipad ever was. I have had it for 1.5 years and have never had a problem. My husband now has the 8.9 also and all 3 of my daughters have the 7. We are all in love with our kindle fires and recommend them to everyone!

• Readability:

Convienent and easy to use

Comments about Amazon Kindle Fire HD 8.9":

Easy to use right out of the box. No directions are included which is because you won't need any!! Charges very quickly and can be used almost immediately. We have had it for approximately 1 month and have not found any issues. Only wish was that the charge and a case would be included. Those items add up very quickly.

Battery Life
    It charged very quickly- less than an hour (using the not included charger). We allowed it to fully charge and then began to use it. We have not had any issues with it dying quickly and enjoy that we can use it for several hours.

Book Choices/Variety
    We thought that there were no free or cheap books but everything we have found so far is about the same as purchasing a hard cover book.

Readability
    The larger screen is definitely worth the extra money to avoid strain on your eyes. We do not have any issues with glare (however have not used it outside).

Very simple to use from the moment you turn it on. If you can use a computer, you will be perfectly fine with this.

simple, sleek, and modern. Nothing super exciting about the design but it does it's job.

We have allowed our 3 year old to use this and have had no concerns. They make several additional protection items which can be purchased separately.

• Readability:

medium screen but very cool.

Comments about Amazon Kindle Fire HD 8.9":

All together is the perfect gaming tool. Let's you get online and read books. The quality is also neat as long as you get the hd version.

I have dropped it probably three dozen times and yet it has only a small crack. The edges where the screen does not show is the only place cracked.

Tablet review

Comments about Amazon Kindle Fire HD 8.9":

I recently upgraded from the original kindle to the kindle hd 8.9, it is much improved over the original for speed and touch senstivity . I really like the Freetime for kids option. It allows my child to use the kindle while keeping a limit on use and safety for him. The screen looks great for video watching and the speakers are average.

Great for my kids

Comments about Amazon Kindle Fire HD 8.9":

We have had this tablet/reader for about a year. I really love it, but I think my kids love it more. Whereas, I do love reading my books and magazines on it...I don't have a lot more use for it. I more us it to keep my kids entertained when I need a few minutes of me time.
    There are TONS of awesome apps available, both for me as well as for my kids. I have used a lot of different apps ranging from categories like games and movies to finances and health. I also have a lot of children's games downloaded. There are tons of fun activity games as well as learning games, which is great for my kids who are all under the age of four. My three year old learned her ABC's using a game from the app store.
    The durability is also great, because of the fact that its mostly used by toddlers. From over a year of use, there's only a small crack on the screen and it doesn't effect the function of the tablet at all. The only letdown is that after almost a year, the battery life started to get shorter, so now it doesn't last as long.

Battery Life
    After a while, the battery life seems to get shorter.