Other e-Readers:
Amazon
Amazon Kindle 3 (3G and Wi-Fi)

Amazon Kindle 3 (3G and Wi-Fi)

Pros

Cons

• Readability:

Kindle is perfect for an avid reader!

I love to read and love the feel and smell of real paper books, so I had been resisting getting a Kindle (or any other electronic book) for a while. However, with 2 kids and a small place, I no longer have room to collect paper books, so I broke down and asked for the Kindle 3.

So far, I'm loving it. One of my biggest concerns was glare and eye fatigue when reading - I cannot read off of a computer for long periods of time and didn't want to invest in a Kindle if I was going to have the same problem. There's no glare on the screen and I've been able to read for hours at a time without a problem. The screen images are crisp and clear.

The Kindle's small size and light weight makes it the perfect size for taking it along in a purse or diaper bag. Yet it's not so small that it's hard to handle or read. I did invest in the model with the 3G and WiFi so that I can download books from nearly anywhere. It was a bit more expensive, but worth the price as far as I'm concerned, since I'm on the go a lot. It's nice to see or hear about a book and have the ability to download it right then and there so that I don't forget about it later!

The price for the Kindle books is less than purchasing it in print. With the amount of books I buy, I'm sure that this savings will end up paying for my Kindle in no time!

The battery lasts a long time as long as the 3G is switched off. Leaving the 3G on will drain the battery in a day or two, so I only turn it on when I'm browsing or purchasing new books. There's no reason for me to have it on all the time anyway. The power cord is pretty long and adapts to either plug into a wall outlet or a USB port to charge the battery. Since I have a USB charger port in my car, this is a great feature as I can charge it on the go.

Not all books are available in Kindle format. There are a few I was looking to download that are not available yet. The buttons on the keyboard are very small and I've found it can be tricky to type and I certainly can't do it very quickly unless I want to make a bunch of mistakes. The screen is also black and white. While I don't have a lot of books with illustrations, a color screen would be nice.

Battery Life
With the 3G off, the battery life is great. With it on, not so much. Leaving it on will drain the battery within 2 days, where I've gone for two weeks without charging with it off.

Awesome Gift

I was given the kindle as a gift. I was actually contemplating buying the same ereader I bought for my sister or the nook, but wasn't sure about buying it beucause I love the feel of books, then to my surprise I was given this awesome gift. It's black and white and there isn't any color associated with mine, but I didn't have any color while I was reading my books either. It is compact and small, easy to carry and I don't have to connect it to my computer in order to order books, which I love. The kindle has several reading options, including font, text size and line spacing. There are a few things that are not great about it. Some books aren't offered for purchase for the kindle which I found frustrating. I'm a crazy Harry Potter fan and they didn't have any of the books available. Also, which I found weird was there isn't an internal light to turn on while I'm in a dark place. Other than the few cons about it, I really enjoy using my kindle to read.

Can't go anywhere without it

Comments about Amazon Kindle 3 (3G and Wi-Fi):

I really love my Kindle. I also had the original. I like the keyboard feature and the "3G". I've been considering upgrading to the new paperwhite but I'm still not sure I want to loose those features. I would like like small pictures of the book covers to show up on the home page. Battery life is very good even after being a few years old.
I can load documents on it to read and bring with me everywhere, It's great for school.

love the free 3G on this version

Comments about Amazon Kindle 3 (3G and Wi-Fi):

I love the fact that it has both WiFi and free 3g. I didn't even realize it had a web browser when I first purchased it. It was an added bonus. I also like that I could load my music to it and listen and read at the same time. I frequently used the text to speech feature and running it thru my cars audio system. Although I have recently purchased a new kindle fire hdx I plan to keep my kindle 3.

Battery Life
Could go days before recharging

Book Choices/Variety
I love to peruse the free list....there are some really good free books. Also makes recommendations based on past purchases. I like using Amazon's website to sent books to my kindle.

No problems noted

Took a while to get used to reading on the kindle instead of an actual book, but really loved it.

Love the keyboard...way more convenient.

Have had it for about 3 years so far and still works perfectly.

kindle

Comments about Amazon Kindle 3 (3G and Wi-Fi):

I bought this a couple years ago and I still use it about as often. It is pretty much just good for reading. I love being able to see the screen all the time, even in the sun, although if it is that bright out, I move to the shade, so it really doesn't matter. I also put a couple of word games on it. I like to play that game where they give you a group of letters and you make as many words as you can with those few letters, I use it to compete with my friends, we always end up making fun of each other when we realize those easy words we both missed.

Battery Life
Battery has never quit on me. Of course how long the battery last, depends on how much you use it. I can charge it and use it for a couple of hours for a few days or I can use it once and a month later it might have a little charge if I havent used it.

Book Choices/Variety
I like to read textbooks and the options are a lot less than what I would like. As far as book choices for fun reading, there are plenty of options. I like all the free ones, they are usually classics.

Side back and forward buttons are great. Kindle is quite simple and there are easy to read instructions if you need them. The vocal option is nice when I am supposed to be doing something, but id rather be reading, so at least i can have focus on the book if it is read out loud.

I have dropped this several times and its still fine. This kindle is more durable than any other product i have had in the past few years, even more durable than a book. My dog tried to eat it, so there are a couple of tooth marks in the speakers, but it still works and sounds fine.

• Readability:

Perfect e-reader, but definitely not a tablet

from Joplin, MO

Comments about Amazon Kindle 3 (3G and Wi-Fi):

Great for anyone who has no more room for all those books, or for anyone living overseas or in areas with frequent flooding/tornadoes.

Battery Life
The battery on mine lasted over a week without needing to be charged even with constant use.

Book Choices/Variety
There are lots of options if all you want is English-language, including many free new and classical volumes. I also found plenty of options in French, however nothing worth having in my mother tongue, Portuguese.

Readability
Adjustable font size, none of the harmful brightness of a computer screen, easy to clip on a light, perfect except for not feeling or smelling like a book and not showing the signs of use that make a paper book so dear.

Very simple and easy to use. My only complaint is that the power off takes several seconds, although hibernation is immediate. I would suggest a separate power switch and hibernation switch.

Simple and easy to customize. Just perfect!

It lasts through the warranty, but not long after. Mine didn't physically break, but the screen became streaked and unusable.

Great portabilty

Comments about Amazon Kindle 3 (3G and Wi-Fi):

I didn't think I would like a kindle as I always enjoyed the feel of a book in my hands but the more I use it the more I love it. The fact that I can have over 300 books at a time on it is great for travel when I don't always know what I'll be in the mood to read. I'm rapidly reaching the point where I prefer the light-weight kindle over books. The kindle is definately easier to carry than six textbooks required for school

Battery Life
I can go a week or more between charges (longer if I turn off the wi-fi. I've never had an issue with the battery dying while traveling.

Book Choices/Variety
i read several genres and there is is a wide selection to choose from . Some older book's aren't yet available on kindle but they're working on it.

Readability
The change font size is great when you're tired and larger letters are easier to see

The kindle is so easy to use that my eighty year old mother with Alzheimer's disease can use it will little or no supervision.

I've dropped my kindle several times an the thing still works just like it's new

Love my Kindle!

Comments about Amazon Kindle 3 (3G and Wi-Fi):

I love my Kindle. I do not like to read off a computer screen so I was a bit hesitant to get a Kindle, but after viewing some other people's e-readers, I took the plunge. It is NOTHING like reading off a computer screen. It does not bother my eyes at all. I love that you can carry around hundreds of books in a lightweight device.

Battery Life
I can read for several hours without charging. So long that I sometimes forget to carry a charger with me!

Book Choices/Variety
Most books seem to have a Kindle version now. I am pretty content with just the available free books. It is also possible to check out books through your library now so that is a huge improvement.

Readability
Love that you can make the type any size you need.

Love everything except the keyboard. Hard to type on this. Tiny buttons.

Pretty good. I do not like the keyboard on the bottom and am looking forward to upgrading to a model which does not have that. I accidentally hit the buttons too often.

• Readability:

Lightweight, easy-to-use design makes for great reading

Comments about Amazon Kindle 3 (3G and Wi-Fi):

I was ambivalent towards using an e-reader - I have always loved the thrill of holding a new book. However, the instant gratification of buying a book and being able to read it instantly from the comfort of my own home won out. The Kindle is extremely easy to use - my anti-tech mother took to it like a duck to water - and it holds thousands of books. Simple, lightweight, comfortable to hold - the Kindle is the leader in e-readers for a good reason.

• Readability:

Best "book" I ever purchased!!!

Comments about Amazon Kindle 3 (3G and Wi-Fi):

I LOVE my Kindle. I love being able to take multiple books with me on vacations without the hassle of needing extra room to put them in my suitcase! The battery allows me to read about 4 complete novels before needing a recharge, and I can charge it in about 30 minutes OR while I'm reading! And it connects easily and effortlessly to any wifi near by so if you run out of material it's OKAY! Just hookup and quickly download more via whispernet!

Battery Life
I can read about 4/5 complete novels before needing to plug in. For me that's about 2 hours or so a book that has about 400 pages in a hard copy.

Book Choices/Variety
amazon has about every book possible. including the ability to pre-order your favorite author's newest hit without leaving your living room!

Readability
the screen is GLARE PROOF! so reading in the car, or on the beach the sun cannot glare into your eyes! And you can adjust the font size so if you need extra large print NO PROBLEM! it will save your settings and make every book easy to read without your glasses!

The first book downloaded into kindle is the "how to use it" guide. Excellent and easy to follow you'll be able to use your kindle within 10 minutes!

Light weight, easy buttons that are just the right size for any size fingers. and not too big or too small. I can put it in my purse with the case on and it fits perfectly without getting lost.

My poor kindle has taken many tumbles, despite that has NEVER had a problem and I've had it for about 5 years now. It has even gone down a flight of stairs and survived.

• Readability:

How did I live without a Kindle?

Comments about Amazon Kindle 3 (3G and Wi-Fi):

I have always been a book lover and didn't think I could use a Kindle, but I am hooked now ever since I bought mine 2 years ago. It still works, has a battery life that lasts days, and is so slim I can carry it around in my purse. I have hundreds of books at my fingertips all the time. Love it!

the perfect gift

Comments about Amazon Kindle 3 (3G and Wi-Fi):

My husband bought me one of these for a birthday gift a couple of years ago. It was probably the best gift i have ever received. It is easy to use and the screen quality is amazing.
I ended up buying one for my mother last year she absolutely loves it as well. It's not always convenient to carry a baby book with you. they are bulky and take up a lot of room. I would definitely recommend the Kindle to everyone who loves to read. It's amazing.