Other Digital Cameras:
Point-and-Shoot Digital Cameras
Sony
Sony - Cybershot A100 Digital Camera

Sony - Cybershot A100 Digital Camera

Great for the starting off professional photographer

I have owned my A100 for over a year and a half now and I love it.  It is somewhat challenging to learn at first since there are so many different settings.  To start off I basically used the Auto mode to get use to the cameras reaction different lighting situations.  Once familiar with the automatic mode I progressed slowly into the other settings that were available.  For night shots I used the nighttime mode.  For portraits and snap shots of people I used the Portrait setting.  For close ups I used the macro settings and so on and so forth.

Now that was only one side of the dial.  There are actually 2 dials on the Sony A100.  The second dial is more of the manual settings that I had no idea even existed in a camera!  There is your typical ISO settings, which I change depending on my focal point.  There is a handy automatic white balance setting which also allows you to spot meter as well.

Another nice feature of the Sony A100 is when you go to look in the viewfinder the menu settings on the LCD screen will dim so you don't blind yourself while trying to take a picture!  Also, the LCD screen is fairly good sized and easy to read.  Also, there is a motion detection switch that the camera recognizes when it is held sideways, the text  to a portrait setting so you can read it (rather than having to cock your head sideways if the text was fixed).

One reason why I decided to go with a Sony Alpha series camera was because they are more affordable than Nikons and Canons.  The quality of pictures that I take is no different from the quality of pictures taken with a Nikon or a Canon.  This model is a 10.2 megapixel DSLR camera.  It takes pictures that come out large in size, which is nice because then when you go to enlarge a photo they don't come out grainy.

Another reason I purchased the Sony Alpha 100 was because of the ability to enterchange lens.  I never owned a manual camera before other than playing with my mom's film Olympus that was made in the 70s.  I got the Sony A100 because of the ability to swap the lens.  I am a nature photographer and I wanted a nice camera that would be able to take close up images of birds, deer, and other wildlife.  I purchased a telephoto lens after a lot of research off of eBay.  It takes great pictures and I also came to the realization that when it comes to having a high quality image you need high quality lens to match up to camera body.

Since I was unfamiliar with changing lens back and forth, I was always afraid of breaking the lens.  The great thing that Sony A100 lens have is a big orange dot that lines up with the lens release button.  To release the lens you hold down the button and turn off counter clockwise.  Sounds simple, right?  Well I was still nervous to change the lens but it wasn't bad as I thought it was going to be.  Now putting on the lens wasn't bad either.  There is a large orange dot on the inside of the camera and you line that up with the dot on the outside of the camera lens and turn clockwise until you hear them click together!  Sweet! The camera is now operational and ready to go!

They always say that pictures speak louder than words.  I've posted up a few of the pictures that I have taken with the Sony A100 just to show you the quality of image that this camera produces.

II can understand that this camera can be confusing for people beginning out in the photography field.  However, if you are a professional photographer this is easy to use.  If you're trying to get into photography, I suggest buying a field guide and the manual to the Sony A100 because this camera packs in a lot of features!  Some of the features I still haven't used yet.  I don't use a lot of the flash settings because I rely a lot on natural light to take my pictures.  Something about natural light just gives the photo a more soft feeling.  That's just my personal style though.

So there is the good.  Now the Cons?  Well, like a lot of cameras, when taking pictures at night they come out blurry.  The best investment is also a nice tripod.  I've taken a few images at night with camera and I tripod and I decided to invest in a wireless remote.  The Sony A100 has a place to plug in a wireless remote in the back of the camera next to the LCD screen.  To get nice shots at night, I highly recommend getting a tripod and wireless remote.  Then you don't have to worry about camera jiggles!

The camera does feature a Super Steady Image button.  I always leave this button on because lets face it, people dont' like blurry images!  The Steady Shot button helps a lot comparative to when it is off, however there is still some image blur that occurs.  Small children running around in a poorly lit house is quite a challenge to photograph.  The only way to get the images to look less blurry in a poorly lit room and active little ones is to use the manual settings on the camera.  These settings may seem intimidating but they are worth getting adjusted to!  Believe me!

Very disappointed with pictures in low light---sports photos.

I owned a Sony DSC-H1 and was very pleased with it so I purchased the SLR A100K for my wife.  We both shoot photos for sporting events.  At the same time I purchased the Canon 400 (Xti) since I wanted to change shooting lenses.  We both shoot the same events yet my Canon performs much better.  The noise of the Sony is terrible.  I have to use the noise reduction constantly when editing pictures with low light.  I am very disappointed with the Sony camera and plan to replace it immediately.  I plan to purchase the Canon 40D and give my wife my other Canon camera.  After owning two previous Sony cameras and being completely satisfied with them I thought the DSLR A100K would be a super camera.

Great Entry-Level DSLR

from Plano, TX

Comments about Sony - Cybershot A100 Digital Camera:

I've owned this DSLR for a long time and have had few regrets. The choice at the time was this or a Canon Rebel. I bought this to use old Konica Minolta lenses as well as use stabilization built into the body than the lenses. Because the lenses were cheaper for this camera, I was able to buy quite a few to learn photography while friends were stuck with 1 or 2 lenses. The only downside was when they upgraded, they were able to take their lenses with them. I haven't decided whether to sell all my Sony stuff and switch to Canon/Nikon or keep hoping Sony catches up with them.

If you have old KM lenses, this is the way to go for a DSLR.

• Image Quality:
  • Battery Life:
  • Portability:

The Sony a100 is a great buy for those willing to learn!

from West Point, NE

Comments about Sony - Cybershot A100 Digital Camera:

My story started in 2008 when I was looking for a wedding photographer for my wedding. When I found out the price of hiring someone was going to be about a grand, I was flabbergasted. I thought to myself, "I could just buy myself a nice camera and have someone else take the photos for that price." So after much thought, I bought this camera and never looked back. Not only did I get beautiful photos of my wedding, but I also have captured many family events including the birth of my twin girls with a beauty I would never had had with a regular camera. I love that it is a DSLR camera with many choices for lens including Minolta lens. The camera has a self-cleaning sensor that shakes off dust when the camera is turned on and off. It also has a feature that will clean the sensor more intently, if needed. This camera pays for itself everytime I use it and if you are considering buying it, you will be pleasantly surpised.

Who needs a GF when you can have this camera?...lol

from Rock Falls, IL

Comments about Sony - Cybershot A100 Digital Camera:

I use this camera, every single day!.. I have around 25 lenses, and every picture, with any of them, is always crystal clear. Steady shot works Very wel..The camera is just the right size, and feels great in your hands, fitting perfectly... with all buttons easy to reach, and use... Menu's are thorough, and simple to navigate, with more than enough options and settings.I would recommend this camera to anyone looking to use their Minolta AF lenses on a newer, digital DSLR camera.Its a good first DSLR, but, not just for beginners, it's quite a camera!... Pro's love it too and,... it's sexy!

Awesome quality, ease of use, style an all around great camera

from Lees Summit, MO

Comments about Sony - Cybershot A100 Digital Camera:

This is one of the easiest cameras to use that I have ever owned.  It is also one of the most fun to create different pictures with.  Coming with a very nice lens up to 70mm built in flash it also allows one to adjust the ISO settings.  The burst feature is especially nice for action shots such as sports events, dance recitals or simply kids who move very fast.  Unlike many one does not have to use the flash each time but can select when you wish to do so.

love it love it love it

from Frisco, TX

Comments about Sony - Cybershot A100 Digital Camera:

Absolutely LOVE this camera...next thing on my list is the zoom lens that goes with it! Pics come out great. love the software that comes with it...very manageable! I like that I can zoom and crop pics and they still come out great!!! The quality and detail of the pics is outstanding.

love what I have learned of it so far

from Crystal Lake, IL

Comments about Sony - Cybershot A100 Digital Camera:

I have only had this camera for a short while, but I love using the sports action feature. I used it at a geyhound reunion and got some amazing pictures of the hounds running in each phase of their stride.  The color and clarity were excellent!!

This Sony Alpha takes an "immaculate collection"

from Monroe, GA

Comments about Sony - Cybershot A100 Digital Camera:

Let me start out by saying that I am a music producer as well as a sound engineer for a radio station. In 2010 Nikki Barjon invited myself and another worker to the 2010 Trumpet Awards. Because of the circumstances, I had never been to an award show, I decided to do it all. I took a Panasonic AG-DVC200to capture video footage. I thought that was hottttttt. However, I also took my Sony Alpha DSLR-A100. I was told that it would have a superb quality for taking still pictures. So I went back to the station after 3 days of filming. I must saw Holy Cowwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!! The pictures taken with my Sony were immaculate. Seriously, I mean I got better clarity with snapping a movement than I got recording a movement. I barely had to adjust my lighting with the Sony Alpha. When I captured images of the beautiful Lisa Rae and the bald headed Steve Harvey these crystal clear images weretruly a captured piece of art. Thanks Sony

Love my Sony

from Yarmouth, ME

Comments about Sony - Cybershot A100 Digital Camera:

Okay, it took a while to convince myself that I needed a digital camera.  As a long time Minolta user I found the switch to Sony almost seamless.  I love the features on the camera.  It is very easy to use and the pictures are crisp and viberant.  I have been using this for a few years now and absolutely love it.  As others have stated all of my Minolta lenses fit my Sony a100.  Great feature.

I'm a proud owner myself.

from Casco, MI

Comments about Sony - Cybershot A100 Digital Camera:

My husband bought my a100 for me 3 summers ago and we're inseparable.  I take it everywhere, except to work where cameras are not allowed.  There are features that I haven't even used yet and it's excellent for those of us who are still hanging on to those slr film cameras from Minolta.  The lenses are interchangeable.

The anti-shake is perfect for those of us who do not use a tripod.  Rarely do I have a blurred shot due to my inability to keep still.

I would recommend the alpha series of cameras and am hoping to move on up to a 300 when I wear this one out.

Great camera no doubt

from Madison, CT

Comments about Sony - Cybershot A100 Digital Camera:

This is the best camera that I have ever had.  It makes taking pictures even more fun than I had before.  NO more wasting money on bad pictures.  If some is looking the wrong way or has their eyes closed, you will be able to tell with the great display screen on the back of the camera.  THe Sony Cybershot A100 is a great camera for beginners, or advanced camera workers.  Turn your hobby into a passion with this great camera.  You will never have a problem with this camera.  It has all the latest features, which are all very simple to learn.  Nothing is too difficult with this camera, and it is for people of all ages.  Older people will not be dumbfounded with this advanced piece of equipment, but the younger generations will not be bored by this sophisticated camera either.  I am so happy that I found this camera and was able to purchase it at a low and affordable price.  If you want to become a photographer be sure to invest your money into the Sony Cybershot A100