Other Digital Cameras:
Panasonic
Panasonic LUMIX Digital Camera DMC-TZ1

Panasonic LUMIX Digital Camera DMC-TZ1

Great Compact Camera with 10x Optical Zoom

The Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 is a great digital camera with a whopping 10x optical zoom. For a camera this size 112 x 58.1 x 40.2 mm (4.41 x 2.29 x 1.58 in, the optical zoom is a major selling factor. The digital zoom is 4x which makes the total magnification 40x. I typically do not use the digital zoom as a criteria for choosing a digital camera because the optical zoom gives a clear image, whereas the digital zoom makes the image somewhat grainy. The TZ1 takes excellent quality photographs as well as really good video clips. The video clips can be VGA (640 x 480 at 30 fps) up to widescreen resolution (848 x 640 at 30 fps) which is an aspect ratio of 16:9. The internal memory is 16.4 MB which isn't that much, but like most digital cameras, external media can be used to increase the amount of memory. This camera uses SD cards. At a weight of 7.3 ounces without the battery, this camera is not the lightest camera I have owned, but the spectacular pictures that the 10x optical zoom is able to provide more than makes up for this.

Lumix DMC-TZ1 pretty good but durability a question

I've owned the DMC-TZ1 for a few years now.  Let me say I'm a huge Panasonic fan and really do prefer the electronics they produce because of its quality, durability, and lower markup cost.  The camera initially was very attactive because of the 10x optical zoom which is difficult to find with point and shoot models at this price point.  It really does work well and I got some great shots of wildlife on a recent trip.  However, my beef with the camera is that is slowly starting to breakdown and not producing crisp, quality images I was accustomed to seeing when I originally purchased it.  Flash problems are evident and it effects overall picture quality not by a great degree but its still noticeable.  I find myself switching from Auto-mode into rather Simple mode alot of times since the flash is so unreliable.  I guess its reached its end of life but I really wished it lasted me a few more years and not the ~3 I've got from it as of now.

An excellent image stabilization system

from Waukesha, WI

Comments about Panasonic LUMIX Digital Camera DMC-TZ1:

I agree that it is not very fast to respond, but the image stabilizer is fantastic.This camera is great for nature trips where you don't want to carry a normal size SLR!!The below picture was taken on a very windy day at the 12x setting without a tripod or other support. I was standing on a sand dune, so I was a little unstable as well. There are very thin antennas on the top of the light and they are sharp as a tack.This photo was used in a calendar and it had more resolution than was necessary to print a high quality image. The camera sports an awesome Leica lens an is easy to hold and control with the aid of it's built in hand grip.

Best camera I have ever owned or used

from Carrboro, NC

Comments about Panasonic LUMIX Digital Camera DMC-TZ1:

When I was shopping for a digital camera, I was looking for the highest possible combination of megapixels and optical zoom.  For the price, no other camera comes close to this Panasonic.  It also has the optical image stabilizer, which helps me get a clear picture at high zoom.  It is a nice compact size that easily fits into a pocket.  The pictures come out better than all of my friends' point and click digital cameras.  The only negative is the lack of a viewfinder.  In bright sun, it can be difficult to see the LCD.

Love the zoom and compact size!

from Madison, WI

Comments about Panasonic LUMIX Digital Camera DMC-TZ1:

Overall this camera is a great buy. The zoom and resolution allow for amazing nature pictures, as well as any highly detailed thing. The main drawback that I see is that it is difficult to take impromptu pictures. If you see something that you really like, first you have to take off the lens cap, turn the camera on, wait for it to register, then snap the shot and then again wait for it to register. Don't get me wrong, this process doesn't take minutes, I would just want it to be a little quicker so that perfect shot isn't gone before you know it. Otherwise, lightweight, easy to cary on hikes. I got the hardshell carrying case which holds it perfectly. Have used it in the rainforest with, yes, a little bit of rain and nothing got damaged. Comes with software to easily upload pictures and make any adjustments to your pictures. Not really a camera you would take to the club with you for a night on the town, but I definitely have it with me on a hike or a while I travel the world.

Lumix DMC-TZ1 pretty good but durability a question

from Newark, DE

Great budget point-and-shoot

from Seattle, WA

Comments about Panasonic LUMIX Digital Camera DMC-TZ1:

Mine has one problem. After turning it on, in order for the picture to focus, I need to zoom in a little (a big problem if you ask random stander-bys to take a picture, have to give special instructions). However, my friend's camera (same model, TZ1) doesn't have this problem, so it doesn't seem to be happening on every camera. Otherwise, the picture quality is pretty good for a budget point-and-shoot. The 10x optimal zoom is great for somewhat long-distance shooting. For videos, the quality is decent, but not as good as the average camcorder. You can zoom in during video-taking, but you will definitely hear a mechanical whirring noise if the environment is on the quiet side, so don't zoom in too much while taking videos. The camera screen is okay, but in this day and age, a bit lacking in resolution. However, it's good enough for me. This camera is a great bang for the buck, and I recommend it.

LOVE this camera!!

from Jacksonville, FL

Comments about Panasonic LUMIX Digital Camera DMC-TZ1:

I love taking photos and I love to carry my camera with me wherever I go.  This camera is small enough to carry everywhere and takes amazing photos.  The 10x optical zoom is fantastic with the image stabilization, pictures come out perfectly crisp.  The battery has a very long life between charges.  I got 2 batteries so now I am never without a fully charged camera.  There are many mode options with with camera.  The night setting works great in low loght situations, red-eye reduction got rid of red eye issues.  There is a burst mode which I love.  When burst is on, if you hold down the shutter, the camera will continue to snap photos (as long as the flash is not needed), this is probably my favorite feature.  The camera also takes good video.  I cannot say enough about this camera.  I highly recommend.  I have been using for years and it has been through a lot and has held up to it without a problem.  Many friends have purchased this camera after using mine.  I will buy again.

TZ1 zoom makes this camera!

from Los Angeles, CA

Comments about Panasonic LUMIX Digital Camera DMC-TZ1:

I'm very happy with the camera.  It takes great pictures but where it really shines is the optical zoom.  Ten times optical zoom.  When I first purchased this camera in 2006, there was no other camera with that type of option in such a small package.  With the intense zoon, you are able to capture moments from a distance that very few cameras can.  At weddings, I can zoom into the bride and groom's face and see how they are reacting.  At sporting events, I can catch the action at home plate without having to shell out the big bucks to sit behind home plate.  Definitely the driving reasons I wanted this camera and the fact it is a Leica lens helps as well.  There are two problems I've experienced with this item though.  First, it doesn't take the greatest pictures in low light.  Secondly, when taking a pic of something at a distance, the image stabilization isn't as effective but there are options and settings that can help if you play with them.

Great quality pictures, amazing zoom, compact design

from Santa Rosa, CA

Comments about Panasonic LUMIX Digital Camera DMC-TZ1:

This digital camera out-performs many of the cameras currently on the market and it is several years old. I have owned mine for over 5 years and it still operates like new despite dropping it twice on the corner. This camera has incredible zoom with a manageable 5 megapixels. For example, I was standing on a structure across a lake about 1/4 mile wide and I max zoomed to the other side to see my friend centered in the viewing window. The picture quality is great until you max zoom then you have to watch out for the jumpy motion. This camera has several modes and settings you can easily adjust to your preferences. The flash is relatively good as well. It has an acceptable compact design but is somewhat heavy to have in you pocket. The battery seems to last me a full day of photoshooting. This camera is well designed and one of the best on the market so don't miss your chance of picking one up. I look forward to seeing more like it from Panasonic in the future.

Love this camera

from West Portsmouth, OH

Comments about Panasonic LUMIX Digital Camera DMC-TZ1:

This is a great little camera, compact and simple to use. You can not go wrong in purchasing the Panasonic DMC-TZ1. It has the lumix glass lense that I find a big plus for this camera.Has its own setting for macro shots. Also has a simple mode which is a big plus. It also has night settings and takes wonderful fire works photos. The macros are clean and crisp and the best most used function for me with the camera. It has a large view screan that make taking pictures so easy.

Ive owned this camea for 3 years and its alway the first one I grab going out the door I have 3 others. I will be purchasing another one of these incase something happens to this one. The one thing I wish it had was more zoom the 10 that it has is really nice but i would like more in a small bodied camera. I have had issues with batterlife so make sure if you purchase this camera purchase a couple extra rechargeaboue batteries.

Great Compact Camera with 10x Optical Zoom