Other Mattresses:
Specialty Mattresses
Sleep Number
Sleep Number Bed Performance Series p5 Mattress

Sleep Number Bed Performance Series p5 Mattress

Pros

• Soft feel (7)
  • Good support (6)
  • Comfortable (5)
  • Durable (4)
  • Holds shape (4)

• Primary bed (8)
    • Comfort:
    • Support:
    • Firmness:
    • Reviewer Profile:
    • Midrange shopper (5), Budget shopper (3)

The Sleep Number 5000 let my husband and I sleep together!

When my husband and I returned home from our honeymoon, we met our first problem.  With the matress that my husband had slept on for several years was way too hard for me.  He needed a firm matress and I needed a pillow soft, sink in, kind of matress.

Soft matresses made his back hurt and firm matress made every pressure point on my body explode with pain.  We tried putting air matresses on top of our matress, then we couldn't agree on how much air to put in it.

Every night was a discussion and it seemed like we would be forced to sleep in different beds forever.

I had seen the Sleep Number beds advertised on TV, the internet, and even saw the store in the mall.

I had also seen advertisments for several other types of "miracle" beds. Memory foam beds were claimed to put an end to all pressure points with their "Space age" technology.

The Temporpedic matress claimed to mold itself to your body but not disturb your partner even if you jumped on the bed. (This was demonstrated by jumping on the bed with a glass of wine sitting on the matress.)

I had also tried a water bed, which I loved.  The heated matress that let me sink into a cushiony comfort.  Of course, my husband hated the water bed.  So the solution was to get a water bed matress with baffles which reduced the motion to less than 3%.  It was a compromise and, to give my husband credit, he tried.  He just couldn't sleep on the softness.

When we looked into the price of the Sleep Number bed, he felt that it was too much for a matress set.  So, we tried again to find a compromise.  Not possible!

He did agree to go to the store and have a representive go through the demo with us.  I was very impressed, and if he were honest, so was he. However, again, he felt the price was not what he considered reasonable.

We tried several models at the store and he asked every question that he could think of at the time.  We agreed to go home and discuss it some more.

Again, we went through all the different solutions that we had tried before. Again, we ended up sleeping in different beds. Of course, as newlyweds that wasn't an answer.  We had waited all these years to marry and spend our lives together just to end up sleeping apart.

One day, I caught him reading the pamphlet on the Sleep Number beds.  Still no encouraging comment from him.

Then one morning I was making the coffee when he walked in the kitchen.  He looked at me and said "Order the bed!"  I was thrilled and secretly terrified.  What if the bed arrived, was put together, and didn't live up to the advertised promises. One of his favorite sayings was "You can't believe everything they claim on TV!"

So ... the call was made, the credit card was charged, and the bed was promised to be on its way.  As the promised arrival date approached, i was both excited and apprehensive.  I hate to hear the words "I told you so!"

Any way, the bed arrived and, since we had chosen the option to assemble it ourselves, we opened the boxes and found the directions.  As usual, the instructions sounded pretty straight forward, but you know how that can be.

Actually, though, the bed was easily assembled in a very short time, with no bruises or frustration.  We put the sheets on and could hardly wait until bedtime.

The beds come with the option of 1 wireless remote or 2 wired ones.  I had chosen the wired ones since my husband, bless his heart, couldn't keep up with the TV remote.  I had nightmares just thinking about buying this wonderful bed and then not being able to adjust it because we couldn't find the remote!

We went to bed a little earlier than usual, just couldn't wait to try this out.  Like kids, we played with the remotes "riding" the matress from 100 to 20 ... or from very firm to extremely soft.

He ended up with the number of 75 and i, looking for my pillow softness, chose 25.  Now, you'd think that with one side of the bed being firm and the other side having nearly no air in it, you'd end up with drop off in the middle.  i was very surprised to find that the midway point was very well blended.  Maybe this was a workable solution.

The next morning was amazing.  His arthritis was not nearly as bad as usual because he could actually decide for himself just how firm his side was. And, he could adjust the firmness in the middle of the night if need be.

Meanwhile, my back and pressure points were happier than they had ever been, even with the water bed.  Finally a bed that held true to its promises. Each morning was better than the one before.

With the Sleep Number 5000, you aren't "stuck" with a matress that is the same until somewhere down the line, you wear a depression in it to fit your body.  You can adjust the firmness to the moment. Your body doesn't feel the same each day, your bed shouldn't be unchangable either.

And, the price, once you actually compare the cost of matress sets of good standards and compare the warranties, it is very reasonable.  My husband was impressed and he was a hard critic.

The pump is quiet and the adjustment is very smooth, The pillow top adds to the comfort. The material is very high quality.

Will I buy the same set when I have to replace it .... in maybe 20 - 30 years ... in a heartbeat.  Sleep Number Beds actually live up to their promises.  Once you sleep on one, you'll never go back to the non-compromising standard matress set.

The concept of the Sleep Number beds will be the future of the matress.  The best part is, it's available today!

If you like sleeping on an air mattress then you'll love this!

My husband and I have different ideas on what a comfortable bed should be. Personally I love my old mattress, it's firm with a pillow top. He prefers something softer. So we figured the sleep number bed would be great for us...WRONG!!!!

The best way to describe what it's like and even give you a chance to try it out for much less is to sleep on an air mattress (you know, the ones you sleep on while camping!) the more you spend the more padding you get to put on top of the air mattress so to test this out add lots of foam and fluffy blankets to see if it helps. However when we first called in to complain about the feel of the bed they told us to put the foam padding UNDER the air pads!!!! OK, we did and it did NOT help. Sure when your trying it out in the store your on the best product they have and there is someone there telling you that "This is your number!" Our numbers were not comfortable in our own home!

Also, the machine pumps air in the bed all night long to keep it at your number...I can hear it and then I can't sleep! You know how when you go to sleep on a camping air mattress it gradually deflates...the pumps stop this but do you really want to hear the machine turning off and on all night? We didn't.

They are a good company, we called and asked for an extension on our trial period and they allowed it with out any problems but even after keeping the bed for 90days we just couldn't get comfortable and forget about the sound the pump made. They took it back and gave us our money back without any problems.

Never again

from Wooster, Ohio

About Me Midrange Shopper

Pros

• Sturdy

Cons

• Lumpy

Comments about Sleep Number Bed Performance Series p5 Mattress:

We bought this bed over 4 years ago. The first 5 to 6 months were great compared to our old mattress. But after that it started to hurt our backs. My husband would wake up in pain in the early morning saying he had to get out of the sleep number bed because it was killing him. For me I would wake up in pain ever hour or so with my back, arms and shoulders killing me. After 3 more years of pain we can no longer sleep on it. We purchased a different mattress. I do not recommend this bed if you have back issues or hip problems.

GREAT mattress

from Guccigurl1

About Me Budget Shopper

Pros

• Comfortable
  • Good Support
  • Holds Shape
  • Soft Feel
  • Sturdy

Comments about Sleep Number Bed Performance Series p5 Mattress:

Sleep Number Bed Performance Series p5 Mattress are one of the most comfortable mattress i ever own .The support is amazing and high quality makes a great night sleep great and i wake up morr energize. Sleep Number Bed Performance Series p5 Mattress also hold its shape longer than other leading brand mattresses. I love Sleep Number Bed Performance Series p5 Mattress and i will buy it again .

Soft and supportive

from Hanover Park il

About Me Midrange Shopper

Pros

• Comfortable
    • Good Support
    • Soft Feel

Comments about Sleep Number Bed Performance Series p5 Mattress:

I absolutely love this mattress !! After having the same mattress for 8 years I was ready for a change and wanted a good mattress which is why I chose Sleep number . I knew I wasn't getting good sleep with the old mattress but never realized that it could be the mattress causing my issues! Since getting this mattress I sleep so much better! It's soft and comfy but has the support you look for in a mattress without being to mo hard! My husband and I both love it!

Best Purchase

from Derry NH

About Me Midrange Shopper

Pros

• Comfortable
      • Good Support
      • Holds Shape
      • Soft Feel
      • Sturdy

Comments about Sleep Number Bed Performance Series p5 Mattress:

Best mattress ive ever purchased

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

Sleep Like A Baby

from High Point,NC

About Me Budget Shopper

Pros

• Comfortable
        • Good Support
        • Holds Shape
        • Soft Feel

Cons

• Bad Set Up
        • Massager Is Too Loud

Comments about Sleep Number Bed Performance Series p5 Mattress:

I went to the Sleep number store with my Aunt, they took us through the whole presentation and helped us find out Sleep Number and what bed works for me. I had to talk my fiance about how great Sleep Number is but my aunt purchased her Sleep Number P5 Series on the spot. So I thought I would get her to test her sleep number out before I purchase mines. She's had nothing but buyers remorse from the time they came to setup her bed. She knew it would look just like the set up in the store but it should look somewhat presentable. Her bed frames were loose, they left the wiring hanging down, and the bed sheets she purchased from the store didnt fit her mattress. She measured the bed and it wasn't a Queen Size, it was more like a full. I can say when she laid down to go to sleep, she slept like a baby. She told me the only thing she could remember was getting in the bed and waking up the next morning. She suffers from chronic pain in her body, so the option to adjust her feet & head setting helps her out along. Even though the massager is very loud, it really does relaxes your body.

I know they're expensive but......

from Baltimore, Md

• Guest Bed

Comments about Sleep Number Bed Performance Series p5 Mattress:

I was actually really excited to have one of these in my bedroom at a lodge I stayed at in Shenandoah, Virginia. When I woke up though, I have never had my back hurt so bad and struggle so much to raise myself up. Maybe if a doctor assesses you and programs the bed specifically to your particular needs it would be nice, but from my experience with it, and setting it to what I felt was comfortable, waking up was not a pleasant experience what so ever.

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

I would not buy this product

from Fort Mitchell, KY

About Me Midrange Shopper

Pros

• Soft Feel

Cons

• Product support

Comments about Sleep Number Bed Performance Series p5 Mattress:

One thing we did not consider when purchasing this bed was the product support. They all have motor which probably will have issues. Ours did in the first 6 months. The SOONEST they claim they can get a replacement to us is 2 WEEKs. Make sure this is acceptable to you before you invest in such a product. To us it is not worth it.

It could have been better!

from India

Pros

• Good Support
            • Soft Feel

Cons

• Too Soft

Comments about Sleep Number Bed Performance Series p5 Mattress:

I have this mattress for few years now and I love this mattress more than ever. When I bought this mattress, I was a bit skeptical whether should I buy it or not, as I have some back related issues. But, I am glad that I bought it and it gives me painless nights of sleep.
            Comfort
            When I lay down on the mattress, I feel like laying on a fluffy bed of feathers, it is that good. It may even recover your back issues if used properly.
            Firmness
            It is firm enough to give you proper support while laying down. You may feel like sleeping on a cloud with good enough support.
            The mattress has got some mixed reviews for its durability. But, for me, the mattress is holding up really well without causing too much problems and looks as if doing so for next few years.

Save my marriage!

from Minneapolis, MN

About Me Midrange Shopper

Pros

• Comfortable
            • Good Support
            • Holds Shape
            • Soft Feel
            • Sturdy

Comments about Sleep Number Bed Performance Series p5 Mattress:

Hubby has to have a rock hard bed (he has back issues) and I like a really, really soft bed. This Select Comfort bed was a great buy and truly, saved my marriage! Highly recommend if you have diverse sleeping needs but want to share a bed.

Lets you keep the peace!

Comments about Sleep Number Bed Performance Series p5 Mattress:

The ability to control both sides of the bed with firmness give my girlfriend and I the sleep experience we both want.

Comfort
              It's more about the sheets than the mattress, but the bed is comfortable

Support
              Putting it at 100 makes it like concrete, which is sometimes what you need for a sore back

Time will tell on if it holds up, but they do have a great warranty

• Comfort: