Other Mattresses:
Specialty Mattresses
Sleep Number
Sleep Number Bed Performance Series p5 Mattress

Sleep Number Bed Performance Series p5 Mattress

Pros

• Soft feel (3)

• Primary bed (3)
    • Firmness:

The Sleep Number 5000 let my husband and I sleep together!

When my husband and I returned home from our honeymoon, we met our first problem.  With the matress that my husband had slept on for several years was way too hard for me.  He needed a firm matress and I needed a pillow soft, sink in, kind of matress.

Soft matresses made his back hurt and firm matress made every pressure point on my body explode with pain.  We tried putting air matresses on top of our matress, then we couldn't agree on how much air to put in it.

Every night was a discussion and it seemed like we would be forced to sleep in different beds forever.

I had seen the Sleep Number beds advertised on TV, the internet, and even saw the store in the mall.

I had also seen advertisments for several other types of "miracle" beds. Memory foam beds were claimed to put an end to all pressure points with their "Space age" technology.

The Temporpedic matress claimed to mold itself to your body but not disturb your partner even if you jumped on the bed. (This was demonstrated by jumping on the bed with a glass of wine sitting on the matress.)

I had also tried a water bed, which I loved.  The heated matress that let me sink into a cushiony comfort.  Of course, my husband hated the water bed.  So the solution was to get a water bed matress with baffles which reduced the motion to less than 3%.  It was a compromise and, to give my husband credit, he tried.  He just couldn't sleep on the softness.

When we looked into the price of the Sleep Number bed, he felt that it was too much for a matress set.  So, we tried again to find a compromise.  Not possible!

He did agree to go to the store and have a representive go through the demo with us.  I was very impressed, and if he were honest, so was he. However, again, he felt the price was not what he considered reasonable.

We tried several models at the store and he asked every question that he could think of at the time.  We agreed to go home and discuss it some more.

Again, we went through all the different solutions that we had tried before. Again, we ended up sleeping in different beds. Of course, as newlyweds that wasn't an answer.  We had waited all these years to marry and spend our lives together just to end up sleeping apart.

One day, I caught him reading the pamphlet on the Sleep Number beds.  Still no encouraging comment from him.

Then one morning I was making the coffee when he walked in the kitchen.  He looked at me and said "Order the bed!"  I was thrilled and secretly terrified.  What if the bed arrived, was put together, and didn't live up to the advertised promises. One of his favorite sayings was "You can't believe everything they claim on TV!"

So ... the call was made, the credit card was charged, and the bed was promised to be on its way.  As the promised arrival date approached, i was both excited and apprehensive.  I hate to hear the words "I told you so!"

Any way, the bed arrived and, since we had chosen the option to assemble it ourselves, we opened the boxes and found the directions.  As usual, the instructions sounded pretty straight forward, but you know how that can be.

Actually, though, the bed was easily assembled in a very short time, with no bruises or frustration.  We put the sheets on and could hardly wait until bedtime.

The beds come with the option of 1 wireless remote or 2 wired ones.  I had chosen the wired ones since my husband, bless his heart, couldn't keep up with the TV remote.  I had nightmares just thinking about buying this wonderful bed and then not being able to adjust it because we couldn't find the remote!

We went to bed a little earlier than usual, just couldn't wait to try this out.  Like kids, we played with the remotes "riding" the matress from 100 to 20 ... or from very firm to extremely soft.

He ended up with the number of 75 and i, looking for my pillow softness, chose 25.  Now, you'd think that with one side of the bed being firm and the other side having nearly no air in it, you'd end up with drop off in the middle.  i was very surprised to find that the midway point was very well blended.  Maybe this was a workable solution.

The next morning was amazing.  His arthritis was not nearly as bad as usual because he could actually decide for himself just how firm his side was. And, he could adjust the firmness in the middle of the night if need be.

Meanwhile, my back and pressure points were happier than they had ever been, even with the water bed.  Finally a bed that held true to its promises. Each morning was better than the one before.

With the Sleep Number 5000, you aren't "stuck" with a matress that is the same until somewhere down the line, you wear a depression in it to fit your body.  You can adjust the firmness to the moment. Your body doesn't feel the same each day, your bed shouldn't be unchangable either.

And, the price, once you actually compare the cost of matress sets of good standards and compare the warranties, it is very reasonable.  My husband was impressed and he was a hard critic.

The pump is quiet and the adjustment is very smooth, The pillow top adds to the comfort. The material is very high quality.

Will I buy the same set when I have to replace it .... in maybe 20 - 30 years ... in a heartbeat.  Sleep Number Beds actually live up to their promises.  Once you sleep on one, you'll never go back to the non-compromising standard matress set.

The concept of the Sleep Number beds will be the future of the matress.  The best part is, it's available today!

If you like sleeping on an air mattress then you'll love this!

My husband and I have different ideas on what a comfortable bed should be. Personally I love my old mattress, it's firm with a pillow top. He prefers something softer. So we figured the sleep number bed would be great for us...WRONG!!!!

The best way to describe what it's like and even give you a chance to try it out for much less is to sleep on an air mattress (you know, the ones you sleep on while camping!) the more you spend the more padding you get to put on top of the air mattress so to test this out add lots of foam and fluffy blankets to see if it helps. However when we first called in to complain about the feel of the bed they told us to put the foam padding UNDER the air pads!!!! OK, we did and it did NOT help. Sure when your trying it out in the store your on the best product they have and there is someone there telling you that "This is your number!" Our numbers were not comfortable in our own home!

Also, the machine pumps air in the bed all night long to keep it at your number...I can hear it and then I can't sleep! You know how when you go to sleep on a camping air mattress it gradually deflates...the pumps stop this but do you really want to hear the machine turning off and on all night? We didn't.

They are a good company, we called and asked for an extension on our trial period and they allowed it with out any problems but even after keeping the bed for 90days we just couldn't get comfortable and forget about the sound the pump made. They took it back and gave us our money back without any problems.

I would not buy this product

from Fort Mitchell, KY

About Me Midrange Shopper

Pros

• Soft Feel

Cons

• Product support

Comments about Sleep Number Bed Performance Series p5 Mattress:

One thing we did not consider when purchasing this bed was the product support. They all have motor which probably will have issues. Ours did in the first 6 months. The SOONEST they claim they can get a replacement to us is 2 WEEKs. Make sure this is acceptable to you before you invest in such a product. To us it is not worth it.

It could have been better!

from India

Pros

• Good Support
  • Soft Feel

Cons

• Too Soft

Comments about Sleep Number Bed Performance Series p5 Mattress:

I have this mattress for few years now and I love this mattress more than ever. When I bought this mattress, I was a bit skeptical whether should I buy it or not, as I have some back related issues. But, I am glad that I bought it and it gives me painless nights of sleep.
Comfort
When I lay down on the mattress, I feel like laying on a fluffy bed of feathers, it is that good. It may even recover your back issues if used properly.
Firmness
It is firm enough to give you proper support while laying down. You may feel like sleeping on a cloud with good enough support.
The mattress has got some mixed reviews for its durability. But, for me, the mattress is holding up really well without causing too much problems and looks as if doing so for next few years.

Save my marriage!

from Minneapolis, MN

About Me Midrange Shopper

Pros

• Comfortable
  • Good Support
  • Holds Shape
  • Soft Feel
  • Sturdy

Comments about Sleep Number Bed Performance Series p5 Mattress:

Hubby has to have a rock hard bed (he has back issues) and I like a really, really soft bed. This Select Comfort bed was a great buy and truly, saved my marriage! Highly recommend if you have diverse sleeping needs but want to share a bed.

Lets you keep the peace!

Comments about Sleep Number Bed Performance Series p5 Mattress:

The ability to control both sides of the bed with firmness give my girlfriend and I the sleep experience we both want.

Comfort
    It's more about the sheets than the mattress, but the bed is comfortable

Support
    Putting it at 100 makes it like concrete, which is sometimes what you need for a sore back

Time will tell on if it holds up, but they do have a great warranty

• Firmness:

Perfect for couples with different preferences

from Pittsburgh, PA USA

Comments about Sleep Number Bed Performance Series p5 Mattress:

I was a little skeptical of the sleep number bed. My husband had been sleeping on one for over ten years and swore by it. I had always had a traditional mattress and wasn't sure what to expect. When you visit a Select Comfort store, they let you try out the various beds. I hopped into a bed, changed the settings and was so relaxed and comfortable, I actually fell asleep! I was sold.
    We have now had the bed for over a year and I love it as much today as I did when we tried it out in the store. I tend to prefer a slightly firm mattress and my husband likes a softer, more plush mattress. Having the Select Comfort allows us to both have a comfortable night of sleep without having to sleep in different beds.
    We also have the heating/cooling layer add on that is a god send for us (I am always cold, he is always hot)
    The one down side is that between the bed's pump and the air for the duel heating/cooling layer. Also, the additional layer tends to move/slip so we find ourselves having to adjust it once or twice a week.

Comfort
    I'm sure I'm not alone in sometimes wanting to feel like I'm on a fluffy bed of feathers and other times wanting to feel totally supported. I love that with this bed you have the best of both worlds even if you change your mind in the middle of the night!

Support
    I had a chiropractor approved mattress before this one. This does give a great deal of support, but not quite as much as I had gotten accustomed to with my old mattress.

Firmness
    This gets a 10 because you can have it as firm or as hard as you want. You can feel like you are sleeping on a board (yet still somehow be comfortable) or that you are sleeping on a cloud but still feel supported.

This mattress is holding up well. I also know my husband had his for 10+ years and while it had wear and tear, it was still in excellent shape, especially with three moves under its belt.

I LOVE it

Comments about Sleep Number Bed Performance Series p5 Mattress:

I have never been more pleased with a mattress . I love the fact that I can raise the number to make it to my comfort level. I like sleeping on a firm mattress & it is amazing how firm it gets.
    My husband & I were amazed that we both picked the same number for firmness

Comfort
    I have a California king mattress & I find it roomy & comfortable.My husband is 6 feet 2 inches & he is pleased because he has enough leg room .
    We love sleep number so much we decided to treat ourselves & we bought the pillows as well.
    They are wonderful & I am able to zip off the cover so I can wash it & make it fresh & fluffy

Support
    I have a bad back due to a major car accident. This mattress is the best for my back.
    I wake up with a rested sleep . It is amazing how much support I get from sleeping on this mattress.

Firmness
    I have had a few mattresses that after a few years they get lumpy & they sag . This mattress has remained firm & it doesnt sag at all.

• Firmness:

A good nights sleep is truly priceless!

from Flint, MI

Comments about Sleep Number Bed Performance Series p5 Mattress:

I bought this bed a year ago after suffering back pain from those painful inner spring mattresses. I was unable to perform at 100% because I was in constant pain. Not to mention that my former mattress sagged in the center. Now I am a proud owner of the sleep number bed. Not only was it affordable, but it completely eliminated all back pain! It has dual air chambers so you and your spouse may both sleep in complete comfort even if you both like a different firmness. Also because Sleep Number beds use Air instead of padding and springs, you will never have to sleep on a saggy bed again! I recommend this product to anyone who wants to live a more rested, productive life.

P5 mattress

Comments about Sleep Number Bed Performance Series p5 Mattress:

I and my wife have been disappointed every day since purchasing the P5 mattress! I gave up a 15 year old inner spring mattress for a brand new P5 and over the last few weeks, we have had less sleep than ever before. We continually have to dig our pillows out of the gap that is repeatedly created between our wall and the mattress. I don't own a headboard/footboard. We live in a small place and there isn't enough room for one. I've never had this issue with my past bed I believe because the Mattress is heavy and it doesn't shift. This Mattress is too light. It shifts constantly and is driving me nuts. We spent our savings on this and now I hate it. I even went out and bought a memory foam mattress topper to add weight. Still didn't work. I also purchased sheets from Sleep Number and they have a rip and are pilling. I take care of things. They weren't made well."
    With all the hype on this bed we just had to try it out. Wow, are we unhappy w/ it. We tried to adjust the bed to our correct number like we were told to. We were not happy w/ the results. My wife's back started to hurt, I ached all over. Not the bed for us. While taking the bed down for a return, we realized it is nothing but an air mattress, foam siding and hard plastic frame. Buyer beware...."

Back saving bed.

Comments about Sleep Number Bed Performance Series p5 Mattress:

The sleep number bed has helped my back become nearly pain free.

Comfort
    Sleep number bed is very comfortable once you adjust air to yourself.

Support
    Very good support from head to toe.

Firmness
    The sleep number is adjustable so the firmness is what you make it.

I've had my bed for 13 years and it's durability is unquestionable.

• Firmness:

Been loving mine for years!

Comments about Sleep Number Bed Performance Series p5 Mattress:

I've had this mattress for over four years now and it has been the best mattress I've owned. It has gone through three home moves and has been easy to take down and put back up and has lasted well through it all. I did have to replace the pump once because my puppy chewed on the cord but the company took care of it for me at no cost. This mattress is ridiculously comfortable as well. I have had back issues for years and with the adjustability of this mattress it makes it so much easier for me to sleep comfortably and wake up with no pain. I am the type of person to adjust the mattress depending on the day, if I have a lot of strain on my back its easy to adjust accordingly. What other mattress can give you that kind of customization and flexibility? I would definitely recommend this mattress to others and will repurchase a Sleep Number in the future when an upgrade is finally needed.