3.9
Other Magazines:
Shape Magazine

Shape Magazine

3.9

Healthy Living Tips plus a little trash talk-- love the combo!

About six months ago I had a bunch of frequent flyer miles that were about to expire. It was a small amount, so I couldnt really do much with them. The airline sent me a message saying that I could redeem them for magazines. I was able to get about 6 magazines for my miles. SHAPE was one of the magazines.

I have to admit, Im not the workout buff, so SHAPE was hardly on my radar before this offer. However, I was just starting to begin a healthier regime, so I opted for it. Now, it is one of my favorite magazines!

**What I like about SHAPE magazine**Shape is more like a Healthy Living magazine for women. It addresses everything from sleep to workouts to general health tips. It also doesnt shy away from fashion, travel, eating healthy, etc. You see a nice balance of healthy living tips and celebrity/fashion talk too. Since I would consider myself a "beginner" workout person, I find the magazine speaks to me.

One other thing I like about the magazine is that it gives you timely and relevant tips. For example, in this months issue, they address workout out while you are on vacation. They also talk about different foods/drinks you will eat on vacation and how many calories you need to burn to work them off.

Other things you can find in there (samples)1. Healthiest hot dogs for your BBQ2. Alternatives to Coffee3. Walk your way to healthy living4. Celebrity workout routines (Kelly Ripa last month and LeAnn Rimes this month)Overall, SHAPE is a fun read. It is one of the few magazines that I find myself reading from cover to cover. And, they offer great tips too!!!  **Two of my favorite tips over the last couple of months** (which are dumb obvious but we all tend to ignore them) were:1. For one month, quit drinking anything but water. (It's amazing how much crap we put into our bodies)2.  Sleep more. Statistics show that if you sleep 8 hours a night, you have more energy and therefore depend less on food for your energy level. (I need to take that advice!)

Great if you like skin and bones.

This magazine is great if you want to pretend you are into fitness.  This magazine is basicly cosmo and every once in a while there is something thrown in about fitness and exercising. There is almost nothing in here about nutrition.  It is all about what diet the latest celebs are doing.  Who wants to look like one of them.  Last time I checked, the human body actually had muscle in it and not just skin and bones.

Love this mag

Profile Image

from New York, NY

Comments about Shape Magazine:

I really like this magazine. I personally find it is much more informative than fitness magazine. This magazine is still for beginner to intermediate and probably for teens to 30s. It is not really for the very serious athlete. I like that they have a lot of articles such as 9 things a trainer won't be caught dead doing, 10 healthy winter soups, etc. I also like that it dispels many myths and errors people make with corrections (for example replacing shoulder bridge with bridge on the back in order to decrease pressure on the spine, how to alter upper extremity exercises to decrease risk of shoulder impingement, etc.) I also think the recipes are better than other fitness magazines. Many are simple, original, and do not use processed ingredients. The magazine also often has a section with a page that is perforated and can be ripped into equal size note cards. This way you don't need to keep the entire magazine and you can build a library of exercises in a compact format over time. Of all the exercise magazines, this and women's health are my favorites.

Great if you like skin and bones.

from Lansing, MI

Comments about Shape Magazine:

All you need to be in great shape

from Somerville, MA

Comments about Shape Magazine:

I love magazines, especially ones that make my life better -- healthier, smarter and more fun! Shape has articles on it all. The fitness tips are doable, even for a busy woman and you don't always need to go to the gym. My favorite part of the magazine is the recipes. All healthy and delicious. I've been a subscriber for years and will continue -- I look forward to opening my mailbox to find a new issue each month.

Not a great magazine for a fitness buff

from Centreville, MD

Comments about Shape Magazine:

Shape magazine is an OK fitness magazine. If someone is serious about working out, do not count on this magazine for help. This magazine is more into fashion and makeup then anything else. Womans Health is a much better fitness magazine for the serious fitness women.

Shape magazine is concerned with women's health: inside and out.

from Knoxville, TN

Comments about Shape Magazine:

I really love Shape magazine. I think they include women in their magazine that have a very healthy body image and actually look healthy, too. They don't show super skinny girls or crazy muscular ones either. They provide great exercise routines that you can do at home and don't have to be a member at a fancy gym to do. I love this because I don't have the time or money to go to a gym. You can do most of the exercises or at a least a variations of them with a stability ball, some hands weights, resistance bands, and ankle weights. They really work, too, you can really feel it afterwards. They discuss healthy foods, too, which I love and seem to take an overall approach to womens health, inside and out, instead of just focusing on how you look. They understand that you have to feel good and take care of yourself, too. I love their health makeovers they do. They pick different women each year and follow them through 1 full year. You get updates on them each month, how much weight/inches they lost, new exercises they are incorporating, foods they are giving up or adding to their diet and they show pictures of their progress. It's inspiring.

Great info on all aspects of fitness... mind, body, lifestyle.

from Brooklyn, NY

Comments about Shape Magazine:

From the first time I picked up a Shape magazine about a year ago, I have been hooked.  I like the type of fit models they show, they are lean, slim and toned.  This magazine has a overall healthy lifestyle approach covering health, beauty, fitness & fashion.  It has something for everyone and I feel it has a really well-rounded approach to well-being.

too much trash talk

from Griffin, GA

Comments about Shape Magazine:

If your looking for good information on getting in shape then keep looking. There are good health magazines out there with out all the trash talk. Shape is too much junk, with some good health stuff mixed in.

Best Magazine Ever!

from Kansas City, MO

Comments about Shape Magazine:

I recently decided to change my lifestyle. A recent college graduate I needed to revamp myself from my pizza and Gilmore Girls marathon days. I don't have the money for a personal trainer, but I could afford $12 for a magazine subscription. Shape has ended up being the best purchase I have ever made. Each month I get a new set of workouts to deal with. I am able to revamp from things I have done in the past and target new areas. The recipes featured in the magazine are fantastic! Who doesn't love a pomengranite lemonade martini!?? Shape.com also has numerous supportive features for a beginner or a seasoned pro to the fitness circuit!

A modern woman's quide to a healthy and fit lifestyle!

from Miami, FL

Comments about Shape Magazine:

Shape really gives you all the bang you can possibly stand for your buck- for $14.00 for an annual subscription you get 12 issues jam packed with so many practical, inspirational, and interesting tips on how to be the healthiest and fittest person you can be, that you can't go wrong!  Each article specifically highlights different topics never leaving you bored! I give this magazine my full recommendation.

Very good magazine.

from San Antonio, TX

Comments about Shape Magazine:

I really like this magazine.

Once you get past the perfect models on the cover, there are some very reasonable goals and tips to good fitness.

THis is one of the few magazines I would even consider subscribing to.  The price is great as well.

I have issues that are years old that I still refer to for workout tips.