Other Magazines:

Reading Enjoyment for the Entire Family

Magazines cover a wide range of topics and interests. Some are informative, some are inspiring, some are complex, and others are simple. One magazine that combines elements from all of these categories is **Reader's Digest**, one of America's most popular magazines.  **Magazine Commentary:** Reader's Digest is an American institution among magazines. I can remember the first time I found a copy of this magazine lying on a table and picked it up to take a look. The cover back then wasn't quite as appealing to the eye because it contained mostly words, giving it the appearance of a more serious read. Nevertheless, I curiously opened the small magazine to see what it was all about. Today, Reader's Digest still ranks among the most popular publications in the United States. The reason for the popularity of this magazine lies in its humanistic focus. Not only can you find informative facts about health concerns, personal finance, and the like, you can also read inspirational columns about ordinary people like yourself who have faced a significant challenge and overcame the obstacles standing in the way of progress. Celebrity stories are also a part of Reader's Digest and they are personal and inspiring, too. They often present, just like with the other stories, a challenge or tragedy that a famous person was able to overcome. Celebrities also contribute to the humor section, with guest columnists adding their own personal styles of wit to the pages of each issue. Speaking of humor, this is one element that seems to pop up with great frequency in Reader's Digest. In the past, I do not recall reading so many jokes and humorous stories in this magazine as I do today. Some of the jokes are supplied by Reader's Digest editors, while others are sent in from readers, once again contributing to the magazine's personal style. One area of this magazine that I wish was a little bit longer is the Editor's Choice section. In most issues, this department covers only one or two pages, with about five to ten books mentioned on the pages. I would like to see more, and possibly an expansion of this section to include music and movies. I like the way this department is divided into sections based on the type of book (cooking, entertainment, spiritual, history, etc.), but more recommendations would be nice. **Bottom Line Viewpoint:**

With Reader's Digest, you get a complete magazine that combines practical advice, humor, words of wisdom, educational material, and human- centered stories about life and all the ups and downs it has to offer. It does seem to be geared more toward the older crowd, but there is something here everyone. It makes for good reading for people of all ages and backgrounds and it's one of the better magazines in publication today.

Variety for Everyone

I like Reader's Digest because the pages are filled with so much variety, you are guaranteed to learn at least something from reading the issues cover to cover.  Each magazine features articles on everything from how to save money on groceries to how to protect your kids online.  They offer so much variety, that it is perfect for any age.  If you are looking for some inspiration, they tell amazing stories of heros and people just like you that have overcame struggle to succeed.  If you need a laugh, they offer countless jokes and funnies.  What I like most are the recipes and up to date health information.  It tells all about the must have doctor tests and what to eat to stay feeling great.  This magazine is truly uplifting and great for everyone.  It even has a list of vocabulary words so you will even sound smarter after reading it.

Comments about Reader's Digest Magazine:

How could anyone possibly say anything negative about this little gem? Overall, it's a brilliant publication, but my only complaint is the increase in ads. I know this is a necessary evil to defray the cost to the consumer, but over the years there are more and more ads each month, maybe if they bumped the price up by a dollar, they could cut back on these. Now back to the reasons why I love this magazine. It has everything. One of the best features for me is the humor section. I love the jokes, and appreciate the military humor also. This magazine provides real life stories from different points of view. They have covered issues from domestic abuse, to survivors of tragic accidents. They talk about wars, soldiers coming home, spirituality, and the plights of those in third world countries. It really offers a broad range of reading for everyone, I always have something to look forward to each month. Go get a copy right now!!

love to read this magazine

Comments about Reader's Digest Magazine:

I love Readers Digest. I have been getting it for years. The content is great and there are so many different varieties of stories and information to read. I love that it's just a small little magazine the size of a pamphlet almost. I can take it with me anywhere and read it on the go, or when I'm sitting around not doing anything at all. I like being able to share interesting things inside with my family or friends or chatting with someone at work. The best part about it is that it's wholesome. It's not filled with junk like gossip and sex or materialistic things. That's why I stay away from most magazines. Readers Digest is for me and things that my family can read. I love the little jokes in there. They have given me tons of laughs over the years. Another great part is recipes! There are so many creative articles. Often it is easy to make and looks absolutely delicious. I say read one sometimes and see for yourself. You might get a good read or learn something you didn't know before.

Great for readers of all ages!

Comments about Reader's Digest Magazine:

For as long as I can remember, my mom has subscribed to Readers Digest and the entire family has always loved this magazine. There are a wide-variety of articles written every month. The topics range from health to politics to inspirational stories about the average person. Not only are the articles about interesting topics, but they are extremely well written. This magazine is well worth the price and it provides great entertainment when I need a break from a stressful day or just need something to pass the time. People of all ages will enjoy something in this magazine and some of the articles are great conversation starters.

great humor

from Marshfield, WI

Comments about Reader's Digest Magazine:

Readers digest is a great magazine. The jokes in here are absoutly great, The short stories are real and hit home. Has articles for everyone. Food and nutrition are always mentioned and there are always multiple humor pages

It is an entertaining and informative magazine

from Williamsport, PA

Comments about Reader's Digest Magazine:

I have always enjoyed the Readers Digest.   Their different joke pages make me laugh.  So many of the short joke storied could happen to anyone.  They are funny and down to earth.  They always have a good interview with someone in the entertainment field.  It gives you a peek into there lives and their heads without being obstrusive.  "That's Outrageous" brings to light all the ways we are being cheated or taken advantage of "Legally"    They also give a place to find everyday heroes, and their articles educate people in many different things,   health and wellness,  learning,  money secrets,  and even ways to fit more things into your house comfortably        I have been reading this mag for over 30 years and plan to continue until it is no longer conducive to do so

Why pay for all advertising!

from Windham, ME

Comments about Reader's Digest Magazine:

I used to love Reader's Digest and would read it cover to cover.  Then I realized it was taking me more and more time to tear out the thicker advertising pages. I find it easier to read without them.  Then I sat and counted over 80 pages of advertising!  Very smart actually.  People are paying these magazine companies for advertising that has already been payed for!

A very entertaining and informative magazine.

from Claymont, DE

Comments about Reader's Digest Magazine:

Reader's Digest is a great, concise, and well published magazine. I am a long term subscriber who thoroughly enjoys the material that is contained in each issue. The stories, articles, and anecdotes that are done each month are well worth the cover price. You can find information on a wide variety of subjects and topics every time. I will occasionaly even save a particularly useful article. My family also gets satisfaction from the yearly subscription to Reader's Digest. If you are looking for a quality magazine that is also very enjoyable, I highly recommend Reader's Digest. You will not be dissapointed.

I can't wait to get the new one!!

from Houston, TX

Comments about Reader's Digest Magazine:

What can I say about Reader's Digest that hasn't already been said. I love this magazine. I read it from cover to cover and that's not something I can say about many magazines. I really enjoy "That's Outrageous". I even read the letters to the editor. I will carry it with me everywhere until I have finished reading it, even into the bathroom. I have pulled articles out to keep for my family or friends to read. The subscription price is very reasonable for the quality of the magazine.

Reader's Digest is a wonderful read for anyone.

from Grove, OK

Comments about Reader's Digest Magazine:

Reader's Digest is a wonderful magazine. I have been a subscriber for 15 years. My teenage son also loves to read it. We have a fight when it arrives in the mail as to who gets it first. The magazine is tops for having interesting reading for all ages. It has world events, health, great stories and tons of great jokes. I would recommend it to anyone who loves to read magazines, as I do.

A excellent magazine for those people who have busy lives.

from Nicholasville, KY

Comments about Reader's Digest Magazine:

This magazine is an excellent choice for those of us who have busy lives.  The edited format is such that depending on how much time I have to sit--I can find ither a wonderful true to life story, information on just about anything from dieting and exercising to how to chhose an appliance or burgalar rpoof my home.  I especially appreciate the jokes and humorous anecdotes sent in by the readers and find that I can also read  a true story sent in by an average person like myself.  It helps keep me aware of current affrairs and has artcles that will interest people of many different interests.