3.5

Seventh Generation Automatic Dishwashing Gel

3.5

Pros

Cons

Environmentally friendly gel for the dishwasher

I'm no different from all the other moms out there who HATE to hand wash dishes.  I admit it is a job I put off all to often until the sink is full. Sure I have a dishwasher but that means I have to empty it AND fill it.  All that aside I also want to have an environmentally friendly and effective dishwasher detergent, not at all like [Palmolive eco+ Gel Dishwasher Detergent - Lemon Splash][1] . So we recently tried **Seventh Generation Automatic Dishwashing Gel. **

**What do I like about **Seventh Generation Automatic Dishwashing Gel? ****

7. Kosher-certified
8. effective cleaning
9. pleasant smell - not like chemicals
What don't I like about **Seventh Generation Automatic Dishwashing Gel? **

- have to make sure the dishes are semi clean before putting them in the dishwasher

The nice thing is I haven't even had to use jet dry or any other product when I have used **Seventh Generation Automatic Dishwashing Gel.**  I still get sparkly clean dishes.  Dried on spaghetti, chili and other foods come off when I make sure to give them a good rinsey wash before putting them into the dishwasher.  I can use coupons to save money on this dishwashing liquid, it's good for the environment and my dishes are clean and attractive when they are done.

[1]: http://www.viewpoints.com/Palmolive-eco-Gel-Dishwasher-Detergent-Lemon-Splash-reviews

I really wnated to like it,,,

I really really REALLY wanted to like this product...the dish washer liquid was finally on sale and I snagged a bottle as fast as I could...we run our dishwasher at least once a day (FULL FULL to save energy and water) and it goes in to a septic tank so not only did I want a happier product for the environment, but with a fmaily of seven, I get nervous about our septic tank...anyway...I was so disappointed when after the first load all my dishes were covered with a white film...This has never happened with any product and we usually use Cascade or Kirkland Brand (which works well, actually).  back to the product, I ran the cycle again with half as much detergent...still have a white film on the dishes.  I had to run the same dishes through a third cycle with the Cascade to get the film off and clean the dishes.  I scrape dishes so there is some food on the plates but not a lot...I figure you are waisting water to sit there and wash the dishes before you wash the dishes.  Anyway, I live in Alabama so maybe it would work somewhere with hard water.  I feel like I made a bigger environmental mistake by purcahsing because now I have no idea what to do with all this left over detergent.

Not for older dishwashers.

from Voorhees, NJ

Comments about Seventh Generation Automatic Dishwashing Gel:

I'm normally a big fan of Seventh Generation cleaning products. The automatic dish washing gel is one that I won't purchase again though. The product comes in an easy to dispense bottle and has a light pleasant scent. It is priced about midway between the most expensive brands, and the store brand detergents. Unfortunately, it just doesn't do a great job at what it is supposed to- get the dishes clean. I will mention that we happen to have an older, builder grade dishwasher in our current apartment. It really requires heavy duty detergent to get the dishes clean, and the Seventh Generation gel just doesn't cut it. Perhaps if you have a newer or more effective dishwasher, this detergent would be effective. I do like that the product contains no animal ingredients, and is not tested on animals. It is also environmentally friendly. If we move somewhere with a better dishwasher in the future I will definitely try this detergent again.

Our main dish washing gel!

Comments about Seventh Generation Automatic Dishwashing Gel:

While the price for this product is a little steeper than your average dish washing liquid, it is considered more eco-friendly and more natural when compared to some of the other dish washing liquids out there. That being said, this product works fairly well, about the same as it's counterparts, but without some of the harsh chemicals, which is great! We have the citrus smelling one, and yes the bottle is a little smaller but you don't need as much as you think you do. I mainly use this product on loads of dishes that contain any of my toddlers and babies dishes or bottles, since I don't want any of the harsh chemicals to leave a residue on their stuff. Overall, I would definitely make the switch, especially if your dishwasher isn't good at removing all the residue, since if it can't remove all the residue it probably leaves a bit of the dish washing gel in your dishes as well!

Seventh Generation - My Favorite Dishwashing Detergent

Comments about Seventh Generation Automatic Dishwashing Gel:

I have been using Seventh Generation's Automatic Dishwashing Gel for several years now and love it. What initially drew me to it was the lack of toxic and harmful chemicals. Since there is some residue left on the dishes no matter what detergent you choose, I wanted to make sure it was one that was safe for my family, and especially my young children. This detergent fit the bill, but I have also loved how effective it is. My dishes are clean, without spots and gritty residue that other cleaners have left.

What made me love this product even more was when I made the mistake of purchasing a different brand of detergent that was on sale last year. Right away I noticed a big difference from our usually squeaky clean dishes. There was not only visible residue, but also a strong chemical smell. The final straw was when the other brand's product leaked detergent onto my daughter's dress as she was putting it in the dishwasher - and immediately BLEACHED it.

Needless to say, I immediately returned to my old trusty standby, Seventh Generation. I love this product, and won't use anything else!

Great earth-friendly gel.

from Bloomington, IN

Comments about Seventh Generation Automatic Dishwashing Gel:

This dishwashing liquid is good for earth-conscious people as well as people like us who are careful about their septic tanks.  It did leave a slight film.  I like the scents and if you watch the internet and at the health food and grocery stores this product goes on sale about every three months.  I would recommend this to a friend.

Seventh Generation makes a great non-toxic dishwashing gel.

from Plymouth, MA

Comments about Seventh Generation Automatic Dishwashing Gel:

I really like Seventh Generation products and I use them frequently. I feel that although they are more expensive than most brands, they do a much better job. I try to use environmentally friendly products often.  I recently decided to buy an entire case of the Seventh Generation automatic dishwashing gel in the green apple scent. The water where I live in Massachusetts is soft. On the label, it is recommended that households who have hard water use a rinse aid. The label also states that the Seventh Generation dishwashing gel is safe for both septic and greywater systems.

What is a greywater system? The water from the dishwasher, sinks, washing machine and shower is collected and used to water the plants or the lawn. Water from the toilet would continue to go into the septic system because it would be a health hazzard to use that water.

Gets the job done!

from Trenton, NJ

Comments about Seventh Generation Automatic Dishwashing Gel:

I found a coupon for Seventh Generation Automatic Dishwashing Gel and decided to give it a try. This stuff works great! Like anyone else, I HATE doing the dishes. Whether it is handwashing or even emptying and loading the dishwasher, I just hate it. Seventh Generation Automatic Dishwashing Gel was a very nice surprise. It gets my dishes clean, even with the stuck on grease and grime, and it does the job without harsh chemicals. This environmentally friendly dishwashing gel lacks the phosphates and other chemicals that most dishwashing detergents normally contain, which eventually end up in our rivers, lakes, and streams. In turn, that not only harms the environment, but since most of our drinking water is extracted from these same streams, it could mean these harmful additives are in the water we drink! Seventh Generation Dishwashing Gel doesn't have those chemicals, thus protecting the environment, as well as our drinking water. I recommend this to anyone who uses an automatic dishwashing machine.

seventh generation automatic dishwashing gel

from Lansing, IL

Comments about Seventh Generation Automatic Dishwashing Gel:

I earlier reviewed the seventh generation hand soap that I love, but this product I am not as satisfied with. Overall it cleans dishes well, except I make iced tea at home which is made from a plastic dispenser. Everytime I put it in the dishwasher to get cleaned I am very disappointed. The inside is still discolored. I have used other name brand cleaners that have gotten the job done well, but they were not earth friendly cleaners. I have been trying to change many of the products I use to healthy and earth friendly products. Usually I am very pleased with the performance of the seventh generation brand, but this one I think could use a little improvement. In addition the price is pretty high which I would not mind if it performed as well as some other brands. If you are looking for an earth friendly cleaner and you do not have to worry about coffee or tea stained dishes the product works well.

Thumbs down for 7th Generation Dishwashing Gel

from Saint Petersburg, FL

Comments about Seventh Generation Automatic Dishwashing Gel:

I'm so disappointed with 7th Generation's Automatic Dishwashing Gel. I understand that on occasion a dish doesn't get completely clean in the dishwasher (not loaded in well, dried food, etc), but I've used this dishwashing gel several times now, and every time I've had to run my dishwasher AGAIN because the majority of the dishes aren't clean, which makes me feel like none of the dishes are clean. What's more troubling than the extra time it takes for my dishes to be clean is that I purchased the product to be environmentally responsible and running my dishwasher twice per load is sort of counter productive =/

I cook a lot and run the dishwasher almost daily so I don't think there's a dried on food issue. And even if there were, other detergents have handled it fine.

I've never had an issue with any of  their other products, but it's making me think twice about how well their clothing detergent is really working. So much for a cheaper green option - back to the more expensive brands.

Wasn't impressed with seventh generation dishwasher detergent

from Montgomery, AL

Comments about Seventh Generation Automatic Dishwashing Gel:

I've tried several seventh generation products and have liked most of them.  However, when I tried their dishwasher detergent I was a little disappointed.  It left some of my glasses looking spotty.  Also, it felt like there was a plastic-like film on my dishes. So...I tried using rinse aid.  That helped a little.  I tried everything else and then I tried another leading brand of dishwasher detergent and my dishes came out clean again.

I like that the seventh generation products are green and all that, but only so far as they clean as well as the other products do. This soap is actually priced pretty well, though, and paired with a coupon or a sale is actually cheaper sometimes than other leading brands.  I wouldn't say that I would never try this product again.  It could have been partly due to my dishwasher or user error, but personally it just wasn't my favorite.  It is definately worth any downside, though for those of you who are looking for greener products.

Natural Seventh Generation Automatic Dishwashing Gel Works Well

from Atlanta, GA

Comments about Seventh Generation Automatic Dishwashing Gel:

I love using Seventh Generation cleaning products, because I know that there are no harsh or non-toxic chemicals in them, and the Seventh Generation Automatic Dishwashing Gel is no different. I have the one with the citrus smell, and I love opening up my dishwasher and getting that light, summer scent wafting from the dishwasher! Using the gel, I have found that I don't have to use as much liquid as I do with other varieties, and that it gets my dishes pretty clean, despite the fact that we have a pretty old dishwasher! I like that the gel comes in a (relatively) small, sturdy plastic container that doesn't take up as much space in my cabinets than other dishwashing gels or powders might. I do wish that the container weren't opaque, because you can't tell without peering in the hole how much liquid is left (and when you're getting close to running out), but I guess that's a trade-off. However, I love that the gel is natural and I don't have to worry about any residues on our dishes!