But, there's a newer version

See latest version

Other Tablets:
Samsung
GT-P1000
Samsung Galaxy Tab Tablet PC

Samsung Galaxy Tab Tablet PC

One of the Greatest Tablets

I absolutely adore this tablet. It serves every single function I could ask for and it holds a SIM for phone calls and Data. Everything all in one. All of my communication needs are fulfilled in one single electronic device.

Battery Life
If you watch a 3 hour movie the battery will need to be charged shortly afterward. With moderate app use and such, you can expect a decent two days of use with one battery charge. If you are using it simply for phone calls it can last about 3 days without needing the charger.

Processing Speed
It has very little system lag. The only time it starts to get laggy is when you have about 40+ apps downloaded and are running mulitple things at a time. Games are flawless if played one at a time.

Weight
It has a hearty feel to it and the weight helps you hold on to it. It is not super light and it is not heavy in the least.

App Availability
Almost every app that Android has is available for this tablet. Some apps that are model specific won't be available of course. But every game that I have wanted to play and every app that I have wanted to use for entertainment and work has been available at all times.

I like the way the corners are rounded. It can be held in one hand without any fingers covering part of the screen which is great for using it for e-books. It fits snuggly in my back jeans pocket. It has a pleasant shape and the overall design is superb.

I have dropped this tablet (on accident) onto gravel, concrete, tile, dirt, and wood and the only thing that has happened is some minor abrasions on corners. It is very durable and surpringly resistant to rain. I have used this on the job constantly and even in extreme weather conditions it has lasted expertly. This is one tough tablet.

It really was better than an iPad!

**Intro:**

**Intro:**

Several months back I purchased an iPad and while I really enjoyed it, there were several areas where the iPad was lacking or caused me to have some issues. Well, about a month ago I started to realize that my neck pain and lightheadedness was being caused by using the iPad so much (it is an ergonomic nightmare) and realized I had to reverse this trend or be stuck with these problems)

You see, the iPad has two major features that caused problems for me. First, at 10 inches the device isn't very portable so it stays home more than it travels with me and Second, at 1.5 pounds it really isn't a device that you can hold up to your face for long periods of time and this tends to cause a little problem I now effectionately refer to as "iPad Neck" (Congrats Apple I bet that is what you were aiming for).

So in Short, these issues along with the lack of Flash support led me to the conclusion that it was time to look for a better alternative to the iPad.

**Display:**

The Display on the Galaxy Tab has been said to be second to Apple but from my experience it is only second in that it isn't optimized like the iPad display is and this could be to save battery life. As soon as I optimize the Display It looks every bit as Crisp, Vibrant and Saturated as the iPad display if not more so.

Here's the thing about the screen, at 1024x600 while using half the screen of the iPad it is effectively a higher resolution display and features a 133 ppi Pixel Density so there's no way the iPad has any advantage in sharpness as it simply is not possible given the quality of the display.

Another area the Galaxy Tab Display Shines is how configurable it is, you can actually adjust Black Point, White Point, Saturation and Brightness on this Display which means that it is possible to calibrate the display at least for Brightness and Contrast which really isn't possible with the limited settings in the iPad.

In Short, the iPad has some technology in the display that makes it more optimal than the TFT display in the Galaxy Tab but it isn't enough to say that it is notably better than the Galaxy Tab as it just is not (it wouldn't have even been an issue if Samsung had used their Super AMOLED Displays).

**CPU, GPU and RAM: **

The CPU in the Galaxy Tab is a variant of the ARM Cortex A8 and it is clocked at 1 Gigahertz which essentially is equal to the Apple A4 CPU and features the Newer SGX540 Power VR Graphics Chip Where as the iPad had the older SGX535 Power VR Chip and the SGX540 is significantly better than the 535 at drawing pixels and is actually 33% better at 3D Triangles.

Another area these two go head to head is the RAM, Apple supplied the iPad with 256 Megs of Operating RAM which really I'm not sure if this is an issue or not but with the cost of RAM why not double that? Well, that's what Samsung did, they gave their Galaxy Tab 512 Megs of Operating RAM and for those of you that don't know it, RAM is where you running programs sit so more RAM and FASTER RAM is always a good thing. This is another area where Samsung trumped the iPad.

One thing to consider, Samsung Built the A4 CPU that is in the iPad so the know what they had to use to equal or beat it and the Hummingbird A8 is considered one of the more powerful mobile CPU's on the market... Couple the Equivalent CPU, Better GPU and More RAM together and what you get is simply put a much more powerful configuration than is presently in the Apple iPad and that really isn't up for debate.

**Build Quality**:

Build Quality is the one area I really have to give it up to Apple because they really like to use more flashy materials like the Aluminum Hard Casing that is on the Back of the iPad but this isn't really a Victory for Apple Either. The one downside to the iPad's backing is that it is much more prone to scratching and scuffing than the Galaxy Tab's PolyCarbonate Backing (High Impact Plastic).

You see, while Apple was busy making the back of their device solid with the Aluminum Shell, Samsung was busy making their Display solid with Gorilla Glass (yes the same Glass Apple touted as super strong when they put it on their iPhone 4).

Basically, this is really a draw here or a slight advantage to the Galaxy Tab and while Apple could have blown the others away by including the Gorilla Glass, they chose not to do so with their 1st gen tablet and honestly, to me I prefer the stronger protection for the screen than I do for the back of the device.

Bottom Line, You're going to put some type of protective case on your tablet anyway and me, I put an Otterbox Defender on mine which I would say would handle more of a beating than even Apple's metal backing.

**Cameras:**

This really isn't even a contest, the iPad doesn't have them and the Galaxy Tab has two of them. Honestly, I don't know why Apple wouldn't have at least included the front facing camera but again, it is a case of too little content to justify the cost.

**Storage:**

This is really a tricky area because the iPad comes in 16 Gig, 32 Gig and 64 Gig but you can't upgrade it... The Galaxy Tab has 2 Gig Internal and comes with a 16 Gig card that can be upgraded to 32 Gigs (there are no 64 Gig Micro SD Cards at this time but these are expected to work with the Galaxy Tab when released).

What makes this so tricky is that many Android Apps can't be moved to the storage card so you're limited to 2 Gigs worth of App Storage for those apps and clearly this is an advantage for Apple.

Now in the Galaxy Tabs favor is the fact that you have to buy a whole new iPad just to upgrade your storage where as the Galaxy Tab has the benefit of ever decreasing costs for Micro SD Cards so I don't have to sell my current unit, replace the screen protector with a new invisishield and couple the hit from the sale of your say 16 Gig iPad along with the cost of the new one and the removable storage looks pretty darn good!

**Battery Life:**

This is the one Clear Win for the iPad but it is hard to say why. You see, nobody is really sure how big the battery is in the iPad but they clearly have a lot more room to store their battery than the Galaxy Tab does. As a result, my iPad was between 8 and 9 hours of life (when it was upgraded to 4.2) and the Galaxy Tablet is between 7 and 8 hours of life.

Again, we don't really know if this is a result of a bigger battery or just better optimization as this isn't something Apple typically reveals but clearly the iPad does better here.

**Bundled Apps:**

The iPad is very bare when you get it, there's not a single thing that it has bundled that isn't present on the Galaxy Tab in some form and this really is a bit of a flaw for Apple as this device could replace so many things in any busy persons daily schedule and seeing that Apple pretty much gives you iTunes, Safari, Memo pad, Contacts, Calendar and E-Mail it is a little lacking.

The Galaxy Bundles a Memo Pad, Excellent Calendar (that Sync's with Google's Calendar), Contacts List (with Groupings and Favorites), Web Browser (not Great), E-Mail Client (with Folder View), Daily Briefing Software (this includes Weather, Reminders, Appointments, the AP Headlines and a Stock Ticker all in One), Google Maps, Flash Player, YouTube, Swype, Voice Dictation (throughout the entire system), Voice Search and the Full Version of ThinkFree Office which is the functional equivalent of getting the iWork Apps for the iPad absolutely Free!

This really is a win for the Galaxy because this is a device that Steve Jobs said, "Doesn't Deliver the Tablet Experience" and yet it is doing a better job of Delivering it right out of the box than Apple is with the iPad!

**Operating System:**

This is really very subjective and it is hard to argue that the Apple isn't a very simplified implementation because it really is something that even the most technically challenged individuals can use without much supervision (except for the multitasking, that confuses a lot of them) however, a lot of people choose features over simplicity (I fall in this category).

You see, with the Android Implementation that is on this Tablet, I can customize everything... Widgets on the desktop, wallpaper, fonts (yes I can even download new fonts for the system), Display Settings and even the Launcher Bar! With Android you're allowed to change your keyboard (I use Swiftkey as I didn't care for Swype which was bundled with the Tablet) and yout default Web Browser (I use Dolphin because it simply is the best mobile browser out there today) but you better believe with iOS you'll take what you get and like it because most of these things cannot be modified without Jailbreaking your iPad.

So, to me, the Android feature set and custom options are more valuable than the simpler approach that Apple is presently using.

**Conclusion:**

As you can see from my Review, there really isn't a whole lot the iPad can do or does do better than the Galaxy Tab and honestly, the Hardware on the iPad doesn't keep up with that on the Galaxy Tablet.

Now please understand that your mileage may vary but if you're willing to give this little Tablet a try you just might find yourself in a situation where you don't want to put the device down and it has solved my Neck Issues while making it much easier to bring with me wherever I go (and it does go everywhere).

Give the Tablet a shot, it really is worth the money they're asking for it and it has none of the restrictions that Apple keeps putting on their 3rd party application developers.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Okay, you're probably wondering why I changed my rating for this tablet. Well, Everything I said above was true and it was the best experience I've yet had from a Tablet, including Honeycomb and Apple's iPad. I am of course speaking only in regards to the useability of the GUI and nothing more.

Well, the truth is, a few days after posting this review my Galaxy Tablet died and I exchanged it for a new one and then within a week, that Tablet died as well so in spite of all the positives, if Samsung cannot build a quality tablet then I see no reason to use their products or even rate them very highly. I'm not sure if there was a software problem that kept causing the device to reboot and eventually corrupt the Firmware or if this was a hardware problem manifesting this issue but I do know that I like to use my tablet and for that it has to be running!

I had one

from qatar

About Me Business Professional, Grandparent, Social Networker, Student, Technically Challenged, Tech Savvy

Pros

• App Availablity
  • Operating System
  • Screen
  • Web Browsing
  • WiFi

Cons

• Battery Life
  • Button Configuration
  • Charging time
  • Difficult To Customize
  • Screen
  • Speaker Quality

• Entertainment
  • Games
  • Out-of-office Productivity
  • Social Networking

Comments about Samsung Galaxy Tab Tablet PC:

it is good to use in games or internet and downloading videos

• Tablet Size:
  • Just Right
  • Tablet Construction:
  • Feels Fragile
  • Usability:
  • Complicated, Intuitive
  • Media:
  • Easy To Download Media, Easy To Use Media Player, External Media Controls, Games, Good Speaker Sound

i don t like it alot becouse it is an old product now

from algeria tindouf

About Me Student

Pros

• App Availablity
  • Battery Life
  • Easy To Customize
  • Web Browsing

Cons

• Screen

• Camera
  • Games

Comments about Samsung Galaxy Tab Tablet PC:

i used it for games mostly and for its good camera it is simple

• Tablet Size:
  • Easy To Download Media

Great Product.

from Joplin, MO

Comments about Samsung Galaxy Tab Tablet PC:

Great durability, great battery life, easy to use, easy to understand, lots of options. Altogether a great product.

Battery Life
It lasts several days. It has lasted from three days to a week with each charge, depending on how much it was used.

Processing Speed
I am pleased with the processing speed. It is very quick, we rarely have to reload a page, there is an immediate response to the touch screen.

Weight
It is practically weightless!

App Availability
There are way too many options!

This tablet is simple, elegant, and usable. It is perfect.

The screen broke, but it took many nasty falls before it finally gave in. Even when the screen broke the response to the touch screen was not hindered. We still haven't gotten the screen fixed (after almost a year), because there really is no need to. It did not shatter and make a mess, it just cracked here and there. We still use it normally and act like it is no big deal for the screen to be cracked, because really it is not a big deal at all.

One of the Greatest Tablets

Would recommend!

Comments about Samsung Galaxy Tab Tablet PC:

The only reason I rated it with a 4 is because personally I would rather have a larger screen. If this screen size works for you, I would rate it a 5!

Processing Speed
I never had any problems with it being slow when hooked up to wifi. Of course if you are using your cellular data and not wifi, you may still have problems getting on the internet if in low service areas.

Weight
Was small enough to carry around in my purse, and didn't weigh very much!

App Availability
The app store on this device is your standard Android market, which has even more apps available than my iphone. You can get alot more free ones out there than you can with the apple app store.

No complaints about design. I would like a bigger screen, but they do have a galaxy tab that has a 10 inch screen now.

Like I said before, I kept in my purse...in a case of course, but never had any issues.

Perfect for Students!

from Huntsville, AL

Comments about Samsung Galaxy Tab Tablet PC:

This tablet is absolutely perfect for students and professionals on the go. Works perfectly and functions just like any other Samsung device. The functionality of this device allows for on-the-go completion of work and assignments while not having to worry about carrying bulky computers and power chords.

• App Availability:

This is my favorite traveling companion!

from Tucson, AZ

Comments about Samsung Galaxy Tab Tablet PC:

Great device, easy to use, even by a three year old, large storage, large amount of apps to choose from.

Traveled from Arizona to Aruba and stood the test

Better than my laptop

Weight
average and certainly easily transported

Many choices available

Very easy to use

Used by a four year old and has survived!

value for money product

Comments about Samsung Galaxy Tab Tablet PC:

includes all new basic applications.

Battery Life
good compared to same range tablet.

1G HZ speed is good enough for its working

Weight
less weight and easy to carry.

App Availability
all new applications are available.

ordinary sleek design

can withstand small falls and hams.

• App Availability:

The Samsung Galaxy Tab is a fabulous, fully-functional tablet!

from Jacksonville, FL

Comments about Samsung Galaxy Tab Tablet PC:

I purchased the Galaxy Tab as a Christmas gift for my 6 year-old child. My thinking was that it was less likely to be misplaced than an iPod touch and that it would be more useful. I absolutely love it. My child plays games, watches movies, takes photos, makes videos and reads books on it. I added a few of my favorite apps as well, although I'm beginning to think I will just have to get one for myself!

Weight
It's just right for a 5 year-old to handle with no difficulty. When out with the kids, I've ended up toting 4 Galaxy Tabs in my purse and it hasn't been burdensome!

App Availability
Occasionally, it's frustrating to find an App that's "Apple only".

At the same time as I bought my kid the Galaxy Tab, my sister bought one for each of her 3 kids (6, 9, and 9). Another friend bought an iPad around the same time. Accidents happen and devices get dropped from time to time. Our kids still have their Galaxy Tabs, which have survived a few drops. Our friend's iPad however, shattered the very first time it was dropped - and, of course, it wasn't insured.

• App Availability:

everything you need in the palm of your hand.

from Pensacola, FL

Comments about Samsung Galaxy Tab Tablet PC:

This is a product that I carry with me everywhere I go because it is more conveniant than my laptop.

Battery Life
Battery life is great on this, I watch movies on it, tweet, check emails and play games on it throughout the day and never worry about the charge

Processing Speed
I have had other tablets before, thus far this is the best and fastest that I have used.

Weight
A little bulkier than an average phone, but how much can you really do on a 2-4 inch screen?

App Availability
It's an android, enough said.

This design fits me perfectly because I can hold the device in one hand and the screen rotates so when I use the keyboard I get larger keys.

I have a Outter box case for mine so I dont have any worries