Other Media Streamers:

Roku LT

Pros

Cons

• Compatibility:

Good system but I probably wouldn't buy it again

Comments about Roku LT:

I bought the Roku LT for my children's playroom (we do not subscribe to cable) so that they could stream Netflix and Hulu. We opted to purchase the LT for it's low price point and because it has the component connectors for hooking up to older TVs. The picture is questionable. We get a much better picture via DVD or TV than we do from the component connection on the Roku. Also, we had a children's profile set up on Netflix, but the Roku LT only allows you to use the main account...which means that the recommendations that would pop up when the children were often inappropriate (I watch a lot of Independent Films, not Disney). All in all, it's good but not great like the others.

Picture Quality
The picture is abysmal. I'm surprised that my kids don't mind watching it. Even cartoons look grainy.

This version does not have the streamlined flow that the others do.

Compatibility
While they added the component hookups for older TVs, I would say that it probably does much better using the HDMI hookup. When the children's TV gets upgraded, at least the product will still be compatible.

• Compatibility:

Roku is the greatest invention since sliced bread!

Comments about Roku LT:

We purchased the Roku LT about 6 months ago, and frankly I couldn't imagine life without it today. It is a small little blue box you can sit anywhere (we have ours on top of our TV) and it streams both live and pre-recorded shows from your Wi-Fi right on your TV. Your choices of what to watch are about limitless: They have several (free) movie channels, and hundreds of your favorite cable stations, as well as hundreds of other channels to choice from. Probably like most people, we have a few favorites we like to watch, but are always finding something new. Like Netflix or Hulu (but without the subscription) you can watch whole series at one sitting if you choose. We are on a History Channel kick right now, and have found many entertaining and quality shows that we never new existed. We don't have cable or dish, nor do we subscribe to any of the services like Hulu or Netflix. The roku is a very affordable (down right cheap) option if you want to watch "cable" TV or have access to thousands of movies without anymore money spent after your initial investment in the Roku itself. If you do want to spend more money, there is a movies on demand section and you can also "subscribe" to regular channels if you want to. Overall we could not be happier with our Roku!

This is a great device

Comments about Roku LT:

I love my Roku. This device allows me to stream shows when it is convenient for me. The extra channels available just for Roku offer a nice selection of movies, news and other content. I even use the Khan Academy channel to help with homework as needed. I love how small it is and how easy it is to take with me when I travel. I have purchased these as gifts for friends and family and everyone has loved theirs as well.

Reliability
Every few months or so the device locks up. All I need to do though it reboot it and it's fine again.

• Compatibility:

Roku LT: awesome little streaming device

from Downers Grove, IL

Comments about Roku LT:

The Roku LT is a very small box that streams all sorts of content. Set-up is very simple. You connect an HDMI cable to the Roku and to your TV. You power on the Roku with the AC adapter. It connects to your network wirelessly. There's a lot of channels that you can choose to install onto your Roku. Some channels are free (Crackle, Vevo), some require that you have a separate subscription (Netflix, Hulu). With HDMI, you have a max output of 720p. They have other products if you need to have 1080p streaming. I primarily use the Roku to stream Netflix and it does a respectable job. The Roku powers on very quickly. In fact, there's not really a power on/off button. There's a Home button that you can press to power on the Roku and I'm guessing after a certain amount of time of inactivity, the Roku will power off by itself. The Roku is very small and light. The purple color makes it stand out a lot and it might stick out like a sore thumb compared to typical A/V equipment colors. I'm guessing they did this on purpose. Overall, I'd recommend the Roku LT. It's fast, small, cheap, and streams to your heart's content.

Lots to watch

from Marion, AR

Comments about Roku LT:

When I purchased the Roku SD player I was excited to be able to watch Netflix on my television, and not have to watch on the computer. Hookup was very easy and direct. Three RCA cables, and the power adapter had me powered up and at the start up screen. You do need a computer to complete the hookup for Netflix, but it only takes a couple of seconds to complete. Also included on the basic Roku is Pandora. Pandora is very easy to hook up and start. It is different from the Internet version, because it has no commercials at all. There are a wide variety of free channels on the Roku, and some pay channels. All are good quality and access quickly through the Wi-Fi and ethernet. I have tried both connections, and I prefer the wireless. If you are looking for good commercial free television, Roku is worth considering. A small start up price, free channels, and streaming Netflix keeps me occupied. I reccomend this product.

The Roku was easy to hook up and the quality is great.

from Fort Wayne, IN

Comments about Roku LT:

I purchased my Roku to allow me to have netflix. It was the lowest costing device that I could find. I am glad to find that low cost does not mean low quality.

The Roku was very easy to set up. I attached it to my TV via HDMI, and following the easy to read instructions soon had it connected to my wireless network. I was not aware at the time I purchased it of the many channels it has to offer. So far, I have only used it for netflix and hulu, but both ran fine for me and the menus were easy to navigate.

I did have a little problem getting used to the controller. Its simplicity actually confused me at first. You do not have a separate button for each and every function possible, which is a refreshing change, instead you have a menu driven system and a remote that uses four arrow keys to navigate the menus and a button each for accept and go back.

I don't know if I will ever bother exploring the other included channels. Right now I am satisfied with low cost movies streaming to my living room. The Roku does what i wanted it to do, and I am happy.

Roku SD is the vintage awesomeness!

from Sanger, CA

Comments about Roku LT:

As a longtime Netflix subscriber and Roku user, I cannot recommend this device enough! I have used the Roku SD box for over two years now, as I was one of the earliest adopters, when Netflix streaming was still in its infancy. I am so glad the Roku service really took off! I do not currently own an HD TV or device, so the standard definition version of the Roku box is still in service and working great!  Netflix continues to add media that is compatible with this device, so there is always something to watch on the TV. The device can connect to wireless networks as well as a ethernet cable, but you do need to be certain that you have a fast internet connection. The only downside to the box is that when I stream a movie, I will notice a marked difference in the internet connection speed on my home PC, which shares the internet connection. That is really my only complaint, everything else is really great about the Roku device.

I LOVE MY ROKU!!

from Cartersville, GA

Comments about Roku LT:

My husband and I are not really big TV watchers; he likes to watch the fights and I have a few shows that I'm interested in but not obsessed with. We decided that cable just wasn't worth it, you pay for hundreds of channels (and boy do you have to pay) and we hardly use any of them.

We got into the habit of streaming stuff to my laptop and one day I came across a roku.

We can stream video and music files from my laptop, we can stream our netflix subscription, as well as TONS of other channels like Hulu, amazon on demand, music channels, childrens channels. You can pay for subscriptions to MLB and UFC, or other special interest.

It gives us unlimited access to the things we were using any ways (streaming and downloaded files) without having to pay out the ying yang. It also is pretty much compatible with any tv set old or new, and it takes like, five minutes to set up out of the box. You don't have to pay any monthly fees, just the cost of the box and the internet connection it uses to stream (wired or wireless)

The Roku is better than cable!

from Lexington, MO

Comments about Roku LT:

We have had a roku player for a while now and we love it! We don't even watch regular tv anymore, only things on the roku - tv shows, movies, documentarys. On the roku, you can buy directly from amazon if there is a movie or tv show you want. Otherwise, you can even pay to rent movies right from your couch. Pandora is great too! There aren't even commercials like on the internet. I listen to radio a lot at home and it is so nice to have pandora right on the tv.There are some other free channels too, but I have not really looked at them. The roku remote is really small and it is hard to find sometimes, but the buttons on it are really easy to use. It would be nice if they could make it usuable with a universal remote, maybe someday. If your internet connection is not real strong, it can be hard for the roku to load things, but that doesn't happen too often to us. The quality of what you watch is also a little bit less than a dvd or tv, but it doesn't really bother us.  After a while, you don't even notice it. I would Highly!! recommend this to anybody.

ROKU is way more than just a netflix streamer, just check it out

from Tucson, AZ

Comments about Roku LT:

ROKU SD player has got to be the best streaming device ever created by far. All my friends have other means by which they stream, ie, XBOX 360, PS3, Wii, and an assortment of DVRs. None of them give you access to other channels like the ROKU. When i can check my friends on Facebook's photos & all the updates, I can stream music from an assortment of sites wether a music service like Pandora or streaming AM/FM channels, and then I rent or purchase a movie from amazon and be watching it within seconds. News & podcasts. Subscription services as well as free. The ROKU has it all & more... I would definitely be a spokesperson for ROKU,