Other Media Streamers:
Apple
Apple TV (1st Generation)

Apple TV (1st Generation)

Pros

Cons

• Compatibility:

Great access to iTunes content but average video quality.

I watch almost all my TV via iTunes for a variety of reasons. Apple TV has made it so much easier to access that content as well as all my content in my iTunes library via my TV. The interface is so easy, just what you would expect. The problem is not as much with Apple TV as with the video content iTunes sells. Until they sell video that is not made for the iPod, it will just look OK on a big flat screen TV. What's the point of an HDMI connection with iTunes content. I expect this to change in the future. Apple has got to start selling at least DVD quality video soon.

Decent streamer, but video format restrictions annoying

This is a decent device for streaming content from my computer. It works very well for music content like mp3s and the like which are incorporated already into itunes. However it's not that great for streaming video libraries you already own since it cannot accept a lot of formats and resolutions. The formats you can use to copy your dvds is very limited, and the resolution and bitrate you copy them at which this device can accept is also very limited. I had a very hard time figuring out what he best frame size is I could encode my movies at for this device to accept, and converting movies to that format is very time consuming even on an intel i5 quad core processor.

It's also not very good at displaying movies in a row. Sometimes I have short clips I want to watch sequentially, but I have not figured out any method of doing so with this device unlike my xbox 360. My final complaint is about the remote in that it only has a few buttons. It's small, but it takes forever to input any text for a youtube search or the like.

Ultimately a good device for my parents since it's easy to setup and use, but it's too restrictive for my tastes.

Very nice phone

from mohamed

About Me Enthusiast

Pros

Cons

• Attached to Computer

Very nice phone

• Was this a gift?:
      • I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

Apple tV is great

Comments about Apple TV (1st Generation):

Apple TV brings the fun things of your computer to your TV. You can watch your videos, pictures, music, or stream movies and videos with ease and HD quality. It is easy to set up and a piece of cake to use. Also I can stream from all of my mobile devices ( iPad and iPhone) straight to Apple TV

• Compatibility:

I still use it and love it in my bedroom!

from White Plains, NY

Comments about Apple TV (1st Generation):

It connects all my music to my TV. Youtube but no Netflix or much other internet but great for what it does!

Picture Quality
      Great for Itunes movies and Youtube videos!

One wire! very simple and I love the white case.

Updates can be slow.

Compatibility
      I had it on two different tvs and no problems!

• Compatibility:

Great way to bring your media to life in your living room

Comments about Apple TV (1st Generation):

Love turing my TV into a monitor and bringing all my media to the big screen.

Picture Quality
      Quality of picture is equal to that of your
      TV or media.

Setting up your access to your iphoto's is simple and a great way and share pictures while playing your itunes library.

Reliability
      It need updating and at times is prone to the need of a re-boot

Compatibility
      Super easy to plug in and play as long as your media is in itunes.

• Compatibility:

Good product for an all in one entertainment package

from Frankfort, IL

Comments about Apple TV (1st Generation):

Got this as a gift, I feel it is a good TOOL to watch TV shows, YouTube Videos, Movies on Netflix. It combines several online/TV products into one place.

Picture Quality
      Let's face it, it's an Apple product so it is good picture quality.

Sometimes I had issues with it connecting to the internet BUT that could be a provider issue, not the Apple TV. it can be used with the remote it comes with or you can upload the remote to your iPad and use that as a the remote which is kind of cool.

Reliability
      I have had internet connection issues.

Compatibility
      Works fine, I have an HD LED Sony flat screen TV and it works fine.

• Compatibility:

My AppleTV has been amazing!!

from Ardmore, OK

Comments about Apple TV (1st Generation):

As the title suggests, my AppleTV has been a huge part of my living room for quite a while, but has finally been retired to the bedroom. The First Generation of the Apple TV does not have the capability to play 720p mkv files due to hardware limitations. As I start backing up my Blu Ray collection to these file types I am able to play less and less media on my first generation Apple TV.

The thing I loved about this device is the hacking community. This device would practically be garbage without the modding/hacking community that made it so great. The fact that I can now (with no thanks to Apple) connect to a SMB share on my network and play virtually all of my media (except for file types/resolutions that it doesn't allow due to hardware limitations) is amazing.

I also love the third party remote support with Rowmote. It makes it great to be able to control the Apple TV with your iPhone (without the Apple Remote app).

I think 40gb is adequate for a device once you have it hacked to be able to connect to network shares. All-in-all I love this device!

I adore the apple tv

from Delray Beach, FL

Comments about Apple TV (1st Generation):

I hacked the Apple TV by purchasing the program from ATVFLASH.

Once you unlock the ATV, there is no stopping you.  I have a time capsule router hooked up to the cable in my home theatre stack.  The ATV is hooked up via ethernet to the time capsule.  I have port forwarding to another computer in the house that I use to download whatever I want to the USB drive hooked up to the time capsule. The USB drive is 1TB.

So, it works like this:

The ATV streams movies from the shared USB drive. The pictures from my itunes are also synced to the ATV.... they are my screen saver.

I have a Logitech 720 harmony remote control that is set up to control everything. Including my AV Reciever.

I have never seen or used a more pleasurable home theatre system. I have TONS of movies and I have organized them all on the USB drive.

Thumbs up for the Apple TV... it has really done the job... (but only after unlocking it)

The Apple TV is a great innovation

from Richmond, VA

Comments about Apple TV (1st Generation):

The Apple TV has been a great addition to our household ever since we bought it. The apple tv has amazing components to it and an easy to use interface. There are options for watching youtube videos from the internet, and looking at new movies. My favorite part of this interface is that my husband has dumped all of our dvds that we own onto our computer and then we can instantly watch them from the apple tv without inserting the dvd. Another great feature is that it syncs directly to itunes and you can play music instantly. The system is easy to set up and convenient. The only downside is that the system doesn't really ever shut down and therefore always feels as if it is running hot. While it is pricey, the space and all of the features are worth the cost. I would certainly recommend this product to others as it comes from a reliable brand, has innovative features, and has an easy to use interface.

The Apple TV is a Great Invention!

from Oregon City, OR

Comments about Apple TV (1st Generation):

We were in the Apple store looking at computers when my husband asked one of the employees about the Apple tv, and instantly he had to have it. We really enjoy this little gadget. You can rent movies on it, download episodes of tv shows you have missed, download home videos on it and watch them, listen to your iTunes library through your tv speakers, and anything else you have in your iTunes catalog. As with all electronics, we are already a little sorry that we purchased this so soon. They now have the 2nd generation apple tv that is cheaper, and smaller, and has more features such as being able to rent tv shows instead of just purchasing them. Some of the things that I don't love about the apple tv is that depending on your internet speed it can take a very long time for the movie you rent to be available to watch--sometimes our movie is ready in a matter of minutes, and sometimes it can take hours. Another gripe is that they only have movies on there for a limited amount of time to rent, then they switch them over to where you can only purchase the movie. We have had many a movie on our wishlist, and when we went to rent it, it was no longer available for renting. I do like that they get the very newest movies available to rent, I just wish they would leave them on there. Bottom line is I think it's worth the money, but go with the 2nd generation version.

Prettier than ROKU

from Fairfield, CA

Comments about Apple TV (1st Generation):

The Apple TV is a streaming media device that allows you to watch videos and music from the internet right onto your TV. Apple has high quality products and the Apple TV is no exception. The asthetic appeal is probably what makes Apple stands out from its other competitors, like the ROKU. The content is displayed beautifully and shuffles effortlessly. It's laid out in an orgnanized format and looks like high quality. They also offer a connection directed to I tunes store, which other providers can't. That's an advantage especially for those who wants to listen to thier music. Access is so nice. It's fairly easy to set up and is easy to use. The box is conveninent and small and can make any room stand out with asthetic please. It cost more than ROKU, but if you like the Apple brand and want a streaming video device, this one will be a good choice. Apple always make thier products pretty. Overall good product.