Other Media Streamers:
Roku
3050R
Roku 2 XD

Absolutely only thing i use

I've used this roku for 4 years an also have 3 others I do not have cable tv an always use this roku a lot of the apps are free an don't require any cc info, plus all my movies I already have bought online they have so many apps from netflix, YouTube Google an many more

Cambridge, OH

The Roku XD has saved me at least 4 grand

If you are tired of paying for cable channels you don't watch until 8 at night, the Roku XD is the model for you. A little work on your internet capabilities and you can turn this little puck into a perfect enterntainment center for your house that you only paid for once. Picture Quality Man, the HD is super crisp! Can't get much better 1080p without the Roku HD. There are literally hundreds of free channels and some are user made. Every day a major cable or network channel shows up on Roku so that gives you access to even more free content. For example, the A and E channel has the latest Duck Dynasty episode on there every week. Ease of Use Installation was not a problem. Just ahve your credit card/debit card ready and your internet browser open. Roku needs to assign a card with the account so that you can buy VOD movies. Otherwise, once installed, the remote and menu are easy to use. Reliability The only issue I have with my Roku XD is that it overheats from time to time. When it does, the Roku stops and resets. This happens maybe once every three months Compatibility As long as you have internet, the XD is pretty compatible. Wireless is great but an ethernet connection will make it go much faster. Also, I suggest downloading the Plex App. When you configure it correctly on your computer, you can broadcast all your computer's media through your Roku onto the TV.

true

The best streaming device out there!

We have tried a smart TV alone, Apple TV, and the Roku. We now have seven TVs in our house and have hooked a the Roku to every single one. Everyone in my family prefers the Roku from ages four to thirty-six, male and female. Picture Quality The picture quality seems good. It comes through well on our higher quality TVs and not as well on our lower quality TVs. Ease of Use My four and five year old daughters have this mastered. The remotes are extremely simple and the menus are clear and easy to navigate. Reliability The Roku is always working for us. The only time we have issues with its performance is when we are actually having issues with our internet. We had very few issues when we had a steady strong signal with Fioptics, but with Time Warner Cable's very flaky internet, we have more issues, but they are with connection, not the Roku itself. Compatibility They seem to work with everything that we have and we have seven different TVs throughout the whole house. Some are not HD, and the Roku box works great on those as long as we have internet. My boyfriend recently tried to get the Apple TV because he has lots of apple devices. The Apple TV is a horrible pale comparison to the Roku. Anyone who is teetering between the two, I strongly urge you to go with the Roku.

true

Good system but I probably wouldn't buy it again

I bought the Roku LT for my children's playroom (we do not subscribe to cable) so that they could stream Netflix and Hulu. We opted to purchase the LT for it's low price point and because it has the component connectors for hooking up to older TVs. The picture is questionable. We get a much better picture via DVD or TV than we do from the component connection on the Roku. Also, we had a children's profile set up on Netflix, but the Roku LT only allows you to use the main account...which means that the recommendations that would pop up when the children were often inappropriate (I watch a lot of Independent Films, not Disney). All in all, it's good but not great like the others. Picture Quality The picture is abysmal. I'm surprised that my kids don't mind watching it. Even cartoons look grainy. Ease of Use This version does not have the streamlined flow that the others do. Compatibility While they added the component hookups for older TVs, I would say that it probably does much better using the HDMI hookup. When the children's TV gets upgraded, at least the product will still be compatible.

Roku 2 saves money instantly

My family was able to cancel expensive cable without ruining our kids lives and even I can use this technology! It's simple to hook up, easy to register and can access everything we enjoy watching! Added features like pandora and Facebook only make a roku 2 the best possible option for penny punchers tv choice ! Best gift we were given for Christmas by far! Can't wait to try roku 3 but can't imagine it can get much better this! Picture Quality The roku 2 provides the same or better picture quality as our cable and far better then past satellite company's! Ease of Use Booking the device up and even moving it from room to room only takes a few seconds, could not have been easier Reliability With a solid wifi connection we have had NO issues with roku 2, I was even able to use a hot spot on my phone while traveling do my kids could continue it's use, they never turned on the hotels tv at all roku it was Compatibility Hooks to every tv we own if you have an hdmi slot roku 2 will easily hook up

tv changing gadget

I enjoy having the Roku. It has changed how I watch TV programs. I no longer need to use my laptop which I was using before, then the battery would die, or I would have to unplug it. I now have the convinience of Roku on my TV. My kids can't mess with buttons. I enjoy the fact that there are many different channels avaliable on this. Honestly, I cannot remember life with cable!!! Picture Quality I see no difference in picture quality. Ease of Use It takes a little bit of getting used to, and you can't run the Roku with anything but the remote it has Compatibility I have an older TV and it still is compatible with my tv.

true

This gadget is better than satellite or cable itself.

I absolutely adore my Roku box. It has an enormous amount of things to choose from with something for the entire family. I love that there is a channel store to go to but also can set up a password so no accidental purchases are made. Ease of Use My 6 year old daughter has figured it out all on her own.

true

Roku is the greatest invention since sliced bread!

We purchased the Roku LT about 6 months ago, and frankly I couldn't imagine life without it today. It is a small little blue box you can sit anywhere (we have ours on top of our TV) and it streams both live and pre-recorded shows from your Wi-Fi right on your TV. Your choices of what to watch are about limitless: They have several (free) movie channels, and hundreds of your favorite cable stations, as well as hundreds of other channels to choice from. Probably like most people, we have a few favorites we like to watch, but are always finding something new. Like Netflix or Hulu (but without the subscription) you can watch whole series at one sitting if you choose. We are on a History Channel kick right now, and have found many entertaining and quality shows that we never new existed. We don't have cable or dish, nor do we subscribe to any of the services like Hulu or Netflix. The roku is a very affordable (down right cheap) option if you want to watch "cable" TV or have access to thousands of movies without anymore money spent after your initial investment in the Roku itself. If you do want to spend more money, there is a movies on demand section and you can also "subscribe" to regular channels if you want to. Overall we could not be happier with our Roku!

Roku HD

I received a Roku HD for Christmas and am very happy with it. Before I was using a Sony Blue-Ray player to connect to the internet and stream netflix, and found it to be incredibly glitchy and slow. The Roku streams seamlessly and has a crisp picture. Picture Quality I know that Netflix has HD programs, and the Roku definitely streams everything in HD. Sometimes the picture may start off a little "fuzzy" but in about 5-10 seconds it's very crisp and clear. Ease of Use Incredibly easy to set up and use. All I did was plug the AV cables into the back of my tv, the power cable into the Roku and it was connected just like that. I did have to go online, create an account, and register my Roku, but I was walked through by the Roku. It was very easy to follow the steps. Reliability I've had the Roku HD for a little more than a month now and it has worked great every time I turn it on. It's experienced maybe one or two hiccups, but I feel as though that may have been my wireless service acting up more so than the actual Roku. Compatibility I have a flat screen HD TV and it connected to it right away.

Perfect Cable TV Alternative

I love my Roku player. Nearly everything I would have watched on cable I can now watch on my TV through the Roku for a fraction of the cost. I've had my Roku for just over 6 months and it's one of the best decisions I've made. I don't know why I didn't switch from cable sooner. Picture Quality Things (especially Netflix) take a second or two to buffer, but then the quality is perfect. I would assume any similar player would do the same. Ease of Use The Roku is very simple to use. After a few minutes with it, you'll be a pro. The remote is intuitive and the interface is simple. Reliability Sometimes, it doesn't want to connect to my internet so I have to go back into the settings and refresh my connection. Works every time. I can't say if that's because of my internet connection or a bug with the Roku, however. Compatibility My Roku has been compatible with everything I would want it to be compatible with. The channel offerings are great, and it's simple to add even more "hidden" channels through my account online. I have an old TV and this hooks up and runs great with it.

Roku 2 XD