Other Media Streamers:

Roku 2 XD

Pros

Cons

The Roku XD has saved me at least 4 grand

If you are tired of paying for cable channels you don't watch until 8 at night, the Roku XD is the model for you. A little work on your internet capabilities and you can turn this little puck into a perfect enterntainment center for your house that you only paid for once.

Picture Quality
Man, the HD is super crisp! Can't get much better 1080p without the Roku HD. There are literally hundreds of free channels and some are user made. Every day a major cable or network channel shows up on Roku so that gives you access to even more free content. For example, the A and E channel has the latest Duck Dynasty episode on there every week.

Installation was not a problem. Just ahve your credit card/debit card ready and your internet browser open. Roku needs to assign a card with the account so that you can buy VOD movies. Otherwise, once installed, the remote and menu are easy to use.

Reliability
The only issue I have with my Roku XD is that it overheats from time to time. When it does, the Roku stops and resets. This happens maybe once every three months

Compatibility
As long as you have internet, the XD is pretty compatible. Wireless is great but an ethernet connection will make it go much faster.
Also, I suggest downloading the Plex App. When you configure it correctly on your computer, you can broadcast all your computer's media through your Roku onto the TV.

Not nearly as convenient as I had hoped.

My boyfriend and I both like watching various types of movies from various, sometimes obscure time frames and directors. It was very difficult for us to find a lot of the movies that we want to watch on regular TV and on digital cable as well. We were trying to find a product that would make it  convenient to locate and instantly access all of our favorite movies right from the internet or from our online video gaming system. We had read some reviews and heard a few friends about Netflix and the convenience of the product, so we decided to give it a try. Upon initially purchasing this product, it seemed like all our worries would be long gone,but every time we tried to instantly stream the movies that we really wanted to see, a message would pop up that it was unavailable to stream and that we would have to order the movie and wait for it in the mail. this would have been okay, but you are only allowed to check out one at a time that way. So we are now considering a refund on the product, as we are not satisfied

The Roku XD has saved me at least 4 grand

from San Francisco, CA

• Compatibility:

The best streaming device out there!

Comments about Roku 2 XD:

We have tried a smart TV alone, Apple TV, and the Roku. We now have seven TVs in our house and have hooked a the Roku to every single one. Everyone in my family prefers the Roku from ages four to thirty-six, male and female.

Picture Quality
The picture quality seems good. It comes through well on our higher quality TVs and not as well on our lower quality TVs.

My four and five year old daughters have this mastered. The remotes are extremely simple and the menus are clear and easy to navigate.

Reliability
The Roku is always working for us. The only time we have issues with its performance is when we are actually having issues with our internet. We had very few issues when we had a steady strong signal with Fioptics, but with Time Warner Cable's very flaky internet, we have more issues, but they are with connection, not the Roku itself.

Compatibility
They seem to work with everything that we have and we have seven different TVs throughout the whole house. Some are not HD, and the Roku box works great on those as long as we have internet. My boyfriend recently tried to get the Apple TV because he has lots of apple devices. The Apple TV is a horrible pale comparison to the Roku. Anyone who is teetering between the two, I strongly urge you to go with the Roku.

Roku 2 saves money instantly

Comments about Roku 2 XD:

My family was able to cancel expensive cable without ruining our kids lives and even I can use this technology! It's simple to hook up, easy to register and can access everything we enjoy watching! Added features like pandora and Facebook only make a roku 2 the best possible option for penny punchers tv choice ! Best gift we were given for Christmas by far! Can't wait to try roku 3 but can't imagine it can get much better this!

Picture Quality
The roku 2 provides the same or better picture quality as our cable and far better then past satellite company's!

Booking the device up and even moving it from room to room only takes a few seconds, could not have been easier

Reliability
With a solid wifi connection we have had NO issues with roku 2, I was even able to use a hot spot on my phone while traveling do my kids could continue it's use, they never turned on the hotels tv at all roku it was

Hooks to every tv we own if you have an hdmi slot roku 2 will easily hook up

tv changing gadget

Comments about Roku 2 XD:

I enjoy having the Roku. It has changed how I watch TV programs. I no longer need to use my laptop which I was using before, then the battery would die, or I would have to unplug it. I now have the convinience of Roku on my TV. My kids can't mess with buttons. I enjoy the fact that there are many different channels avaliable on this. Honestly, I cannot remember life with cable!!!

Picture Quality
I see no difference in picture quality.

It takes a little bit of getting used to, and you can't run the Roku with anything but the remote it has

Compatibility
I have an older TV and it still is compatible with my tv.

Perfect Cable TV Alternative

from Des Moines, IA

Comments about Roku 2 XD:

I love my Roku player. Nearly everything I would have watched on cable I can now watch on my TV through the Roku for a fraction of the cost. I've had my Roku for just over 6 months and it's one of the best decisions I've made. I don't know why I didn't switch from cable sooner.

Picture Quality
Things (especially Netflix) take a second or two to buffer, but then the quality is perfect. I would assume any similar player would do the same.

The Roku is very simple to use. After a few minutes with it, you'll be a pro. The remote is intuitive and the interface is simple.

Reliability
Sometimes, it doesn't want to connect to my internet so I have to go back into the settings and refresh my connection. Works every time. I can't say if that's because of my internet connection or a bug with the Roku, however.

Compatibility
My Roku has been compatible with everything I would want it to be compatible with. The channel offerings are great, and it's simple to add even more "hidden" channels through my account online. I have an old TV and this hooks up and runs great with it.

Ingenious

from Boynton Beach, FL

Comments about Roku 2 XD:

I bought this as a Christmas gift for my husband who is a movie fanatic. We have a Netflix account, but were looking for a way to stream the movies to a bigger screen. The Roku 2 XD made it possible to easily enjoy thousands of movies and TV shows on our home theatre system.

There aren't many ports on the Roku, and so it spent more than a year connected soley to the TV. I wanted more robust sound in my movies, so I solved the problem of hearing everything through wimpy TV speakers by purchasing an HDMI Splitter cable and connecting it to the Roku and the surround sound.

I liked the Roku 2 XD so much that I bought another one for the bedroom.

Picture Quality
The picture quality is as good as or better than my regular cable reception.

Plug it in. Simple set up on the computer. Everything happens automatically, including downloads of updates.

Reliability
The Roku 2 XD has been connected to our television for more than two years now and it is used daily. The only time it didn't work was when construction workers struck and severed a cable that made us lose internet connection.

Compatibility
For our purposes, the Roku 2 XD is compatible with everything we wanted it to connect with. We don't ask it to do much.

• Compatibility:

All the TV you could ever want to watch plus games!

Comments about Roku 2 XD:

Roku in general is a fabulous piece of technology that I firmly believe could eventually replace cable or satellite television. You can also play games on it such as Angry Birds. You can download almost any channel you'd like and a lot of channels are FREE!

Picture Quality
You can chose to get an HD box that works with HD television, but even the picture quality on the regular boxes is fabulous. I have standard def television and I enjoy watching the Roku more than regular television. I don't even have cable or satellite television anymore.

So easy to set up and use. Just click and point the remote and that's it. The gaming remote is also easy to use with the games that you download.

Reliability
This is an internet based piece of technology, so how well it works is based on how well your internet is working. However, I feel that internet is more reliable that cable or satellite in questionable weather.

Compatibility
You can download almost any channel you'd like onto your box and watch it on your television. They also have games that you can get like Angry Birds and play whenever you'd like.

• Compatibility:

Roku 2, best investment for you movie and t.v. lovers!!

Comments about Roku 2 XD:

Its so great, I use tit to stream from netflix, vudu and amazon. I love it its way bette than red box or going to a video store(if you can find one still around) I want one for every tv in my home, and im going to buy one as a Christmas present for my sister.

Picture Quality
It depends on what you are watching, but even standard is great.

Just follow the prompts and go!

Reliability
The roku is always working, its my internet that can cause a problem.

Compatibility
I works on flat screen tv's and even older models, i just love it!

• Compatibility:

great for cutting the cable

Comments about Roku 2 XD:

If you want the ease of streaming Roku is what you need! Roku makes it easy to stream your favorite shows. There are many free channels to choose from and you have the option to purchase subscriptions from providers like Netflix and Hulu Plus. I love the fact that I can binge watch my favorite shows on my schedule and on virtually any tv. To me, this was the best investment I have made for my own personal entertainment. I stream HBO Go, VUDU, PBS, Smithsonian and many more on top of Netflix and Hulu Plus. It is easy to set up and a breeze to use. The picture quality is very good and the sound is great too. I love using it when my nephews come to visit because there is always an abundance of programs for them to watch. I would recommend the Roku 2XD to anyone that would like to save money and get great entertainment. The price is not very high and what you get in return is exceptional. Try it for yourself and see what I am talking about.

• Compatibility:

What a great device for viewing Netflix

Comments about Roku 2 XD:

The price not ony fit our budget, but was easy to install and use:)

Picture Quality
Depending on the picture quality of your television set, the roku viewing is great. We have one of those bulky sets, and my mom has a thin, flat screen set, but the viewing is the same. Clear and easy to read.

My daughter is ten, and she quickly picked it up, as well as my seventy year old mom. The directions on the tv screen are easily understood and the set up takes only a few minutes.

Reliability
So easy and quick to use. It has frozen up when the buttons have been pushed too quickly, but that is easily remedied by restting the roku player.

Compatibility
I have only used the roku on my television set, but I enjoyed it so much, I purchased one for my bedroom, and for my mom's house. She was easily able to hook it up to her television set.
I have not tried it on our computer, but it does say you can use with a computer. Our television screen is only 19 inches, but that is perfect for our living room.