Other Media Streamers:
Apple
Apple TV  (2nd Generation)

Apple TV (2nd Generation)

Pros

Cons

• Compatibility:

surpased all my expectations.

We had rokus in all the bedrooms but were still paying for dish in the main room.We waned to try another brand and bought the Apple tv 2 gen. I was not sure about it. I did want to miss my favorite shows and felt like i would be missing something giving up dish. I went to best buy and bought the apple tv.came home set it up in no time. We streamed in netflix hulu and itunes. I was scrolling thru Itunes and seen where I can purchase seasons of my favorite shows like walking dead. I was so excited and it was very cheap for the whole season. I also seen where I could sync my apple products as well and have the content directly on my tv. I was very image and also how many things there are to watch. I already had an extra hdmi cable so no additional costs were needed for myself. I really love that it has pretty much turned my tv into a smart tv. I browse the internet, stream movies and shows you tube and anything else I would online straight to my tv. The downfalls I see are I would not put this in a child's room as I saw no filters any where. I also think it is kinda pricey for a child's room. Other than those two complaints I have no drawbacks or complaints. It works great, gives me all the shows i wanted.Dish is gone and so was my 100 a month bill.

perfect

setup in 10 mins

love having access to I tunes

works with any tv

Compared to Competition then AppleTV is Several Steps Behind

Let me start by saying I love my AppleTV. But that is primarily due to the fact that I fit the requirement of living within the Apple Ecosystem. We own 2 iPod Touches, an iPad, 2 Macbooks and I have 2TB of encoded video and music in iTunes. For me, this is the solution I needed to get my media to my TV. BUT, after recommending this to a few people and buying one for my brother then I realized that this is not a device for everyone.

Companies like Nintendo and Apple excel in selling products to people who don't need them. Just like how  millions of Wii owners haven't turned on their console in months, I'm betting that most AppleTV owners quit using it once the hype died down because it's simply not as useful as it should be. Especially in comparison to it's competitors like the Roku, PS3 or Boxee.

**What AppleTV CAN Do:**

- Streaming media off your iTunes library

- Video Podcasts** **

- Netflix (My favorite interface of all the Netflix players)

- Slideshows** **

- Can't share rentals with other Apple Devices

- Apps

- Channels

- Stream video off computer

- Sports (MLB, NBA, NHL, MMA etc)

- 1080p

That's not to say these things won't come in the the future, but for now then there is so much missing that it's core audience is a very niche group that loves Apple more than they love their wallets.

As for my actual usage. This used to be connected to my HDTV but due to the lack of Hulu then I recently replaced it with a Roku XDS and the AppleTV moved to the kitchen and I'm much happier with it now that it serves a role it can handle. Playing slideshows and Netflix on a small 15" screen while I cook.

BTW. One thing I want to note is how every single review starts with talking about how small it is. If that is the most important thing for a reviewer to mention then clearly the product is more visually impressive than actually useful. "Small" is NOT a feature. Yes, its tiny BUT if you are leaving this next to your giant TV then who cares if its 4" wide or 14" wide.

Great Tool

Comments about Apple TV (2nd Generation):

I have really enjoyed having the apple TV in our home. It is great to have access to all of our movies on our tv that is stored in our iTunes account. We are able to mirror with our iPads and put shows on the tv that we wouldn't be able to watch any other way. I am amazed at how quickly the apps like netflix load in. We stream netflix through other devices and netflix through apple tv ten times faster. I love being able to turn on our music and play it through the tv and to stream our pictures up to the tv as well. I was concerned that we wouldn't use the apple tv very much and have been surprised with the amount of use we have gotten out of it. If you have apple products in your home I highly recommend purchasing apple tv. You can even send things from your macs through the apple tv. I do wish that you could purchase more apps/channels to be able to stream straight from the apple tv. This is easier to use for my kids too then other streaming devices we own.

not as good as roku

Comments about Apple TV (2nd Generation):

I don't like this as well as my roku player. I think roku is a better product and is a lot cheaper. The Apple tv does a lot, but it does not have as many good channels. Some people are really loyal to Apple products, if that is you then you would maybe like this better. If you don't care, get the roku.

Amazing, must have product

Comments about Apple TV (2nd Generation):

I received this as a gift and it's been my favorite way to watch tv and movies - so awesome! It is super easy to set up, use, and maintain - the best part is that it is compatible with other apple products and you can link accounts across your house. I can't imagine Friday nights without my apple tv anymore.

Apple TV

Comments about Apple TV (2nd Generation):

Apple goes beyond what others have to offer. Easy to use and a lot to offer...awesome!
Easily compatible with hdtvs, easy to set up, log in, and run.
I initially set it up to run on a cheaper hd tv, hisense, and there were no problems. Overall resolution can be done through your actuall tv to match up a little better.
You can watch Netflixs, Hulu, and listen to iTunes radio to name just a few.
I LOVE it!!!

• Compatibility:

Takes TV watching to a new level

from Livonia, MI

Comments about Apple TV (2nd Generation):

I was initially skeptical about Apple TV because I didn't understand how it works. Now, I don't know how we lived without it for so long. Okay, that's an overstatement, but seriously, I love Apple TV. It basically turns your TV into a Smart TV. You can access Hulu, Netflix, thousands of movies and TV shows, YouTube, etc.... You can also stream Pandora and view your photos in an instant. This is perfect for kids, too, because they can browse Netflix and find their favorite shows very easily. We never have problems with "buffering" or any issues with streaming content.

The only issue I have is that sometimes we lose the remote. It is a small, silver remote that works like the old MAC remotes. Because it is so small, it can easily get misplaced and then there is no way to work your device. I am not sure if there is an APP that will control Apple TV from my phone or iPad, but if there isn't, there should be. That would make it that much easier. Also, the remote has a learning curve to it, but once you figure it out, it is very easy.

We are getting Apple TV for two of our relatives for Christmas and we know they will love it.

Wonderful product

Comments about Apple TV (2nd Generation):

My wife purchased an Apple TV for my birthday. This is one of those products that I never knew I wanted. I love the channels available and it is so much better streaming movies from Netflix in HD. I have all of my iTune purchases available. I am enjoying the music videos and I would never get to see them without this piece of equipment. I can't wait to see the new channels that Apple will bring next.Great product, easy to use and definitely worth the money. So glad my wife made this purchase for me.

Picture Quality
Great HD quality. LOVE. I will be using this to stream movies all of the time. Prior to receiving this gift I was using my Wii.

This is a great intuitive product. No problems setting this up and I could start using it within minutes.

Reliability
This a relatively new gift I received, but no problems to date.

Compatibility
Love that this is compatible with my iPhone, iPad and iTouch. It is so handy to be able to access my movies, games and music that I have purchased.

convenient

Comments about Apple TV (2nd Generation):

I like that you can rent movies, watch youtube, stream netflix, and watch your personal movies all on one device. Its very convenient. I feel like this device is very user friendly. It does crash every once in a while but if you update it with the latest version there doesn't usually seem to be a problem.

• Compatibility:

surpased all my expectations.

from hastings, FL

perfect

setup in 10 mins

love having access to I tunes

works with any tv

Cut the cord with Apple TV

Comments about Apple TV (2nd Generation):

Recommend using in combination with apple AirPort Extreme wireless modem. Have been using for 8 months now and so glad I'm not paying cable bills anymore. Fewer commercials is an added bonus! Use an antenna for the local channels and you are good to go my friend.

AWESOME PRESENT

Comments about Apple TV (2nd Generation):

I got this as a present for the holidays and I absolutely love it!!! It sets up to your TV in literally less then 10 min and as I am very technologically dumb, learning and understanding this product in about 20 min is amazing. I love it!! It's as simple as one controller for hulu, netflix, youtube and if you use a mac laptop (which I do) its easy to stream movies from your itunes and your music to your TV. Its simple and easy and I love having it to organize all my accounts for watching movies and what not. Also having my cell phone (iphone) hooked up to it as well I can stream my own personal pictures and videos and use my phone as a remote as well, in case I lose the one that came with it. Sometimes if your wi-fi is messed up or not running smoothly it can affect it, but all in all very reliable and easy to use. Obviously it won't work if you do not have wireless internet because that is how it syncs all the accounts onto the TV. Also the TV has to have an HDMI port which can be annoying if your current TV doesn't have it.