3.9
Flea & Tick Treatments
Revolution

3.9

• Reviewer Profile:
    • Long-time pet owner (5)

Revolution flea and tick treatment for dogs is a great product!

I first found out about Revolution flea and tick treatment for dogs when I bought my two chihuahuas.  They were my first dogs that I had ever owned so I did not realize they had a food allergy.  They were given the same food the breeder had given them since their birth.  They started losing their hair rapidly and were almost bald.  I took them to the vet and tried all the different shampoos, skin scrapings and medicines he recommended.  I spoke to a vet tech friend who recommended Revolution.  I decided to give it a try since nothing else was working.  Revolution is a prescription medicine so after checking with my vet, he wrote a prescription since he does not carry the product.  It is becoming more popular though so you may be able to get your vet to carry it.  It is available online through a lot of the pet med websites so it was no problem to order after I had the prescription.  It only took a couple months before I could tell their hair was growing back in and they stopped scratching all the time.  Their personality changed right away for the better since they were feeling so much better.  I switched their food so they do not have the allergy problem anymore, but I continue to use revolution.  I wish I would have known about Revolution earlier so I could have prevented the pain it caused my dogs, but I am so glad there was a product to help while I figured out that they had a food allergy.  It is a great preventive medicine for fleas and ticks, I have not had any problem with them since I started using revolution regularly.  It kills adult fleas and prevents the eggs from hatching for a month.  It also prevents ear mites which could be a problem for dog owners who keep their dogs outside or are around other dogs a lot.  It has heartworm prevention medicinein it which makes it an all in one medicine.  It is recommended to have your dog tested for heartworm before using revolution for the first time.  You should only either give revolution or a heartworm medicine, not both at the same time.  If you have already given a heartworm medicine for the month, wait until the next month on the day you were to give the medicine again before switching to revolution so you are not overlapping.  Even though it is more expensive, it comes out to be cheaper for me since I do not need to buy a heartworm medicine.  It is so easy to use, it is a topical medicine that is given monthly just between the dogs shoulder blades.  It is so much easier then giving a pill to my dogs and less stressful for them since they do not like to take medicine orally.  You should not bathe them until it dries though which takes about two hours.  It also takes care of sarcoptic mange in dogs which is a hard parasite for vets to diagnose even with a skin scraping and under a microscope.  It is great to have a medicine to take care of such a troublesome parasite.  You purchase revolution in a three or six pack.  It is given based on the dogs weight.  It comes in color coded packages to help you remember which box to purchase.  Revolution is made by Pfizer animal health company, you can contact them on their website.  They have always been fast responding and friendly when I have contacted them.  On their website you can look up a vet in your area who carries their product.  You can also set a reminder on their website for them to email you when you are to give a dose of revolution. Just go to their site and tell when the last dose of revolution was given and they will contact you on that date every month.  They also will remind you of any vaccinations or examinations if you would like them to.  Their site has a lot of good information on revolution medicine such as dosage as well as other health information.  There are very few reactions to revolution and not many dogs are allergic to it.  If you do notice a reaction, you should contact your vet right away.  Reactions to revolution for dogs include, diarhhea, vomiting, increased heart beat, drowsiness, loss of appetite, rapid breathing, muscle tremors, hair loss at the application site or drooling.  My dog has reactions to vaccinations and food allergies, but has not had any reactions to revolution even after continued use.  It is for dogs six weeks or older so it is a very safe medicine.  Unlike some other flea and tick prevention medicine, you can give revolution to dogs even if you have cats or other animals in the house.   Revolution is Selamectin which is the actual ingredient.  It is absorbed in their bloodstream and distributed through their body to prevent heartworm, fleas and ticks.  I am so glad I gave it a try since it has made such a difference in my dogs lives.  I recommend it to everyone I know since food allergies in dogs are increasing and a lot of people seem to have the same problem I had.

Quality of Ingredients
It works great at killing fleas and ticks

Side Effects
I have used the product on multiple cats and dogs and never had a side effect.

It does not work, it is gentle product, but not effective.

I have 10 lbs, 7 months old, shih tzuI have tried Revolution flea control for my dog more than 4 months.I heard from friend of mine, that Revolution is gentle, never irritate on dog's skin, side effects.And that is very true. There is no side effects as it was described. But it does not work at all.I have caught fleas more than 5 of them on my dog withing 1wk and half after applying the right amount of dosage on back of his neck.I have tried up to 5 lbs one (pink box)and up to 10 lbs one ( purple box).I tried using pink box ( 3 months supply) and it did not work,I assume that it might not be efficient as it can be since he was going over 5 lbs.So I bought another box that fits his weight.And it did not work, he has so many spots that was bitten from flea and has even rashes on his back by scratching so hard.If you care your dog, choose a better product.I am glad that I have got refund from my seller.

So far, so good

from East Tennessee

About Me Long-time Pet Owner

Pros

• Effective

Comments about Revolution Flea and Tick Treatment:

I had used Frontline for many, many years with multiple pets (cockers, beagle, chihuahua, and cats galore). We are down to 1 cat and one chihuahua at our house and one cat at my daughter's. My kid's cat, Layla, has yard privileges. She started bringing in fleas and my chihuahua brought them inside my house to my cat! The groomer said that frontline has been around so long that many think fleas are getting "used to it". The vet suggested Revolution for the cats and we put the dog on Bravecto. We bombed the house (twice) and sprayed the yard (twice). After brushing and flea combing the pets for about a week and bathing the dog, we quit seeing live fleas and flea dirt (flea poop) on the cat. It worked a bit slow. Took about 2 weeks to quit finding any eggs and dead fleas, but I am remaining vigilant. My daughter had the same results and her Layla remains restricted to indoors and the deck for now (unhappy cat). I plan to use Revolution throughout the winter months and, hopefully, spring will still show them free of the nasty fleas.

My poor kitties

from Jefferson,tn

About Me Long-time Pet Owner

Pros

• Have used it successfully for 2 years BUT,,_!!!

Cons

• Hair loss, kitties acted as of we hurry them,
      • Ineffective

Comments about Revolution Flea and Tick Treatment:

Heart broken that my cats had to deal with this utter failure

DOES NOT WORK

from ATTALLA, AL

Pros

Cons

• Ineffective

Comments about Revolution Flea and Tick Treatment:

I BOUGHT A 3 MONTH SUPPLY OF REVOLUTION FROM MY DOGS VET. I WAS VERY EXCITED BECAUSE IT WAS SUPPOSE TO TAKE CARE OF A VARIETY OF THINGS FOR MY DOG, WHICH IS A 8 LB SHITZU. WELL I USED THE WHOLE 3 MONTH SUPPLY THINKING IT MIGHT TAKE TIME TO WORK, NOT!!! MY BABY STILL HAS FLEAS.I AM VERY DISSAPPOINTED AND WILL NOT USE THIS PRODUCT NOR WILL I RECOMMEND IT!
            I AM ON A FIXED BUDGET DUE TO DISSABILITY I CAN'T AFFORD TO BUY PRODUCTS THAT DOESN'T WORK!

Really Works!

from MI

About Me Long-time Pet Owner

Pros

• Effective
            • Long-Lasting

Cons

• Expensive

• Larger Pets
            • Older Pets
            • Smaller Pets

Comments about Revolution Flea and Tick Treatment:

We have a ten year old dog who has been on this for probably about 8 years. When she was a puppy we just had her on the HeartGuard chewables, but when we moved and changed vets, our new vet recommended Revolution Flea & Tick treatment.

The pros: It is easy to apply, they claim one does is effective for up to 40 days, and you can usually purchase it in a 6 pack - saving you frequent trips to the vet.

The cons: I'm not sure how healthy this product is for your pet and it is expensive.

Overall though, we have been using this for quite a few years and I do feel that it is effective. We chose the year-round route, just to make sure she was covered. The vet said that we could do this just during the hot/summer months - which is obviously when fleas and ticks are really a problem, but we felt safer treating her year round.

As a testament to its effectiveness, one year we decided to take her off of this product during the winter months to a.) save money and b.) give her a break from the constant medication in her system. Well, the first month off of this product she became infested with fleas. Talk about stress! We had a new baby, a flea problem and were moving all at the same time. Totally NOT worth it. From then on we have religiously kept this on our dog each month and have not had another problem.

It's a bit pricey, but in my opinion worth it to have the peace of mine that a flea infestation isn't going to take over my house.

Not the most effective treatment

from Florida

Pros

Cons

• Wears Out

• Smaller Pets

Comments about Revolution Flea and Tick Treatment:

I'm just writing this because these treatments are expensive. I tried it three times on the recommendation of my vet. Although it started well and killed fleas upon application, they always came back with a vengeance by day three. In my experience, Comfortis tablets worked much better. The fleas literally crawled up on the fur to escape and it really cut down on their numbers days later. I regret spending the money buying Revolution before I found out.

Tick-ed Off!

Comments about Revolution Flea and Tick Treatment:

My dog got a tick while on revolution, greenish grey. Disgusting! Was a couple inches away from the revolution application site. I was on vacation and called a 24hour vet, they claimed Revolution isn't effective against tick control. My animals have never gotten fleas! Perhaps it was just a bad tick season, the tick was half engorged in October in northern Michigan.

Quality of Ingredients
              My pets have never gotten fleas or heartworm.

• Side Effects:

Revolution is an excellent flea/tick/heartworm product

Comments about Revolution Flea and Tick Treatment:

I have been using Revolution on my dogs for almost 10 years now. It is a very effective way to keep my dogs free from fleas, ticks and heartworm. You have to give a stool sample before they can start it, to make sure they don't already have heartworm I believe, but then after that you apply it once a month to the back of their neck. None of my dogs have ever had fleas, ticks or heartworm! It is very easy to apply, although it helps if you have two people (one to hold the dog still and perhaps to hold the hair apart to show their skin while the other applies the medicine). It is a little smelly, but we just give our dogs a bath the day after we apply it.

Quality of Ingredients
              As far as I know, this has quality ingredients because it is effective at preventing these diseases. I have used it on 3 different dogs over the years, and none have gotten fleas, ticks or heartworm.

Side Effects
              The only side effect is that it's very strong smelling, so if you accidentally pet your dog on the back of their neck after you have applied it, your hand will stink! Don't hug your dog or put your face near their neck either. But you are able to give your dog a bath after 2 hours, so it's not a big deal.

• Quality of Ingredients:
              • Side Effects:

Great and dependable product and highly recommended by my vet

from Goose Creek, SC

Comments about Revolution Flea and Tick Treatment:

Keeps my dog safe from heart worm as well as fleas and ticks. I have been using Revolution for over 12 years. When I had to change vets (old vet retired), new tests were made and my dog was healthy and without heart worms which is a serious consideration because we live in the South where heartworm problems is common. Also I can purchase Revolution over the internet and save quite a bit of money. Even without the internet savings I would purchase this product since it is doing exactly what it is supposed to do. I would highly recommend this product to any dog lover who cares enough to insure the good health of their pet. The liquid is in a small plastic container. There is a sharp point in the cap of the container (and it is designed to not poke you...only the container) which is used to release the medication. The liquid is put on the back on the dog, sort of between it's shoulders. This dries quite quickly so there is little concern about it washing off or getting it on furniture or clothing.

Quality of Ingredients
              must be great since it works and it does my dog does not get any adverse reactions after having the Revolution applied and it does what it is supposed to do.

Side Effects
              No adverse reactions by my dog or at application site. My dog does not even seem to notice the medication after having it applied.

• Quality of Ingredients:

Comments about Revolution Flea and Tick Treatment:

Revolution is the best product out there to protect my pet. I know many people feel it's more costly than other flea products but what they're forgetting is that Revolution doesn't just protect against fleas. This tiny little vile that you just pour onto the back of your pet's neck protects against many things. Fleas, ticks, heartworm, roundworm, hookworm, earmites, tapeworm, whipmorm, mange. No other product protects against all these things, and it's so easy to use. No need to bath your pet, or spray them with something, just a few drops go onto the neck once a month and you're done no worries. There are stickers in the box, so that you can put them on the calender, and you know exactly what day the next month that you need to apply. Most flea products contain industrial pesticides, which can't be good for our pets, Revolution does not contain these pesticides and it's special formula was designed just for cats and dogs. If you look at the cost that a product for each of the things that revolution protects against would cost you, you're actually saving money by using this product. I have used Revolution for quite a few years now and I wouldn't use anything else on my pets. I feel confident with this product, and knowing my pets are protected from as many parasites as possible.

Great Product

Comments about Revolution Flea and Tick Treatment:

I used this product on both my Chihuahuas when they were puppies. It was recommended to me by my vet as the best flea solution for dogs weighing under 5 lbs. Revolution is very easy to apply and is realitively inexpensive compared to some other brands out there. I never had a flea issue with either of my puppies when using this product. I would recommend to anyone.

Quality of Ingredients
              Even though I am not sure of the ingredients used in this product, it worked great on both my dogs with no negative side effects. Neither ever had so much as one flea so I would use this product again. Also my vet recommended it for my tiny Chihuahuah puppies so I trust that it has great ingredients that are not harmless to your pet.

Side Effects
              Revolution is a great product! It prevented my puppies from getting fleas/ flea bites and they never had one negative side effect. I will use this product for all of my puppies and would recomment it do anyone who is looking for a great flea medicine.

• Quality of Ingredients: