Other Dog Healths:
Heartgard

Pros

Cons

• Side Effects:

I heart my dog and he hearts Heartgard! Take that heartworm!

***Quick View:*** I have a 10 year old Jack Russell Terrier who hates taking pills. I have suffered through sticking them down his throat, sneaking them to him in food (only to have him spit them out), and crushing them. At last, I can protect Mickey from heartworm year round with chewable preventative medication that he loves. He looks forward to is monthly **Heartgard** **Plus** chewable. And I am relieved that I don't have to struggle with him every month.

***About Heartgard Plus Chewables***

**From Heartgard:**

*Heartgard Plus is the #1 choice of veterinarians for heartworm disease prevention! Heartgard Plus is 100% effective against heartworms; and it controls roundworms and hookworms. Heartgard Plus is approved for use in puppies as young as 6 weeks of age. It is safe for pregnant or nursing females, stud dogs, collies, and dogs with collie genetics. Heartgard Plus has a wonderful beef flavor, and should be chewed rather than swallowed whole.*

**My Experience**

I used to work for a veterinarian and heartworm is a devastating thing although many pet owners don't believe it is a threat. It is! I protect my dog year round with monthly Heartgard chews which are like little rectangular snacks. They must taste very good because my dog loves them and wants more every time I give him one. I have to hide the box from him so he doesn't get into it and eat them all. The box has heart shaped stickers in and hearts on the back so you can be aware of when you give your pet the chewable and know when it's time to give him or her the next one. That works for me since I forget everything.

The chewables come in a blister pack of either six or 12. I always buy 12 ( a year's worth). They're affordable and they protect my dog from the devastating effects of heartworm. The chewables come in three sizes - 1-25 pounds (The ones we have), 26-50 pounds, and 51-100 pounds. Just pick the size that is right for your dog and whether you want a six month supply or a 12 month one and that's it. Your dog is happily protected and he LIKES his medicine!

***My Viewpoint***

**Heartgard Plus Chewables** are a great way to protect your dog from heartworm. Trust me, dogs get this devastating worm and it's a horrible situation. Don't take chances. Give your dog **Heartgard Plus**. He or she will love you for it and will love eating a monthly treat. ***5 stars.***

No way, no how!

My vet suggested that I give my two Shih-poo puppies Heartgard as a preventative measure against heartworm.  Well, like anyone who treats their dogs like their kids, I did my due diligence.  Just so you all know:

**Most veterinarians will recommend giving a daily or monthly pill to prevent heartworms, but in actuality you are administering a drug on a regular basis that is designed to stop the baby heartworm - "microfilariae" from becoming adults. The most popular heartworm preventives, Heartgard and Interceptor, are not really preventives at all; rather they act by killing the microfilariae larvae in an infested dog. In other words they're poisons, as are all of the other popular HW "preventives." None of them kills the fully adult heartworms in the dosages prescribed for "prevention." **

**Both Heartgard and Interceptor kill microfilariae. Therefore, if one's dogs have been on either of these products, they will test negative for heartworm when given the microfilariae test, even though they may be infested with adult heartworms. It is not common, but it does happen. **

**There have been many reports of dogs having very bad reactions to both Heartgard (Ivermectin) and Interceptor (Milbemycin Oxime). These drugs contain chemical insecticides. Administered over a period of time, the toxic side-effects become a serious health risk. Giving one's dog doses of poison month after month to kill something which probably isn't there anyway, doesn't make an awful lot of sense to me. I don't believe that we can ever poison our way to health. **

**According to the American Veterinary Medical Association, 65% of adverse drug reactions and 48% of all reported deaths resulting from drug reactions are caused by heartworm preventatives. The potential side effects of Ivermectin (the active ingredient in Heartgard) include liver problems, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, depression, lethargy, skin eruptions, seizures, tremors, paralysis, auto-immune disorders, thyroid problems, fever, weakness, dizziness, coughing, nose bleeds, difficulty breathing, pneumonia, irritability, sudden aggressive behavior, nerve damage, fertility problems, and sudden death. The drug poses a particular risk to Collies, Whippets, Irish Water Spaniels, Bull Mastiffs and related breeds. Other chemical heartworm preventatives have many of the same side effects. (*http://www.grandadventuresranch.com/articles/heartworm.htm*)**

The point is, you are feeding your dog medicine every month that is designed to kill.  Why not find a natural alternative?  I found this one which helps to prevent/get rid of parasites, ***www.dog-health-care-information.com/parasitedoctor***, and this one which, when given orally, helps with overall health, ***newvision.myzrii.com*** (it's formulated for human consumption, but it has an INCREDIBLE effect on canine, and possibly feline, health.)

We (and our vet) love it!

from Centralia, IL

Comments about Heartgard Plus Chewables:

We have had our furbaby for three years and she's taken (recommended by our vet) Heartgard Plus since she was a pup without any issues at all. Once a month all I do is literally open the package, hand it to her and that's it; done. I've never had an issue with her taking/chewing it so I assume that it tastes ok (doesn't have a strong medicine smell, smells meaty). It's relatively I expensive at 10-12.00 per pill (one pill monthly) and totally worth it to keep our baby healthy. Has an intestinal worming medicine as well so two birds, one stone! Will keep purchasing for our girl!

A product I am still using to treat heartworm.

from Florida

Comments about Heartgard Plus Chewables:

Heartworms are never a fun thing for a pet owner or pet parent to experience that is why I kind of freaked out when one of our dogs got them. I called the vet and they told me to go get Heartguard chewables. So that is exactly what I went and got.

After buying a box of Heartguard plus Chewable pills I was skeptical as if they were really going to get rid of the heartworms and prevent further outbreaks or occurances of heartworms, but since the vet told me it was the right one to use I decided to go ahead and use them.

Because our dog is pretty picky, I did have to put the chewable pill in a piece of meat in order to get him to eat it. He was not a huge fan of it, and it took several tries to get the pill down, but he ended up eating it and being okay with it. It smelled a little funky to me, but that is probably the medicine that is inside of it. He didn;t seem to be too finicky about the smell.

The pills worked, they got rid of the heartworms after a couple of days and now that we have him on a regimine of them once a month, he hasn't had any other problems with them. Which is good, they are not very high priced and they do work. So I for sure recommend them to friends, especially if they are wary.

Great for overall health

Comments about Heartgard Plus Chewables:

I have had dogs all of my life and I have always given my dogs heartguard plus. It tastes great to dogs because I've never met a dog that doesn't love the flavor. Every single time I give heartguard to a dog they literally beg for more! One of my dogs will beg so badly for more that he will keep trying to shake to get more. I have never had any issues what's so ever with side effects on any of the many dogs I've used it on. They have packages for different weight ranges, which makes it important to get the right one. You don't want to overdose or under dose them. Heart Worms do happen, and it can prove fatal. I'd rather spend some money and have a healthy dog even though some people don't believe in giving heart worm medicine. All of my dogs have lived a very long time, and I won't ever stop giving them this. Its simple to give them a monthly treat, and they even come with little heart stickers to put on your calendar for reminders on when the next doses are due. Nothing is as good as prevention for your furry buddy!

• Side Effects:

Once a month and your dog is heart worm free.

Comments about Heartgard Plus Chewables:

I love these chewable tablets. We used to purchase the large, hard tablets, and our dog refused to take them. These look like a treat, they are small, and as they are chewy, our dog doesn't have any issues taking it. Further, it is a once a month remedy, meaning there is no fighting, or trying to get them to take medicine every day.

Quality of Ingredients
I have not noticed any difference between these chewy tablets, and the large, difficult to swallow ones we used to give to our dogs. Further, our vet said this is a great brand, and is similar to the previous tablets we used to give the dogs for heart worms, so I trust the quality of the ingredients, and the effect it is having on our dogs' overall heart health.

Side Effects
We have not experienced any adverse side effects upon giving these chewy tablets to our dogs for heart worm treatment. In fact, they seem happier with the smaller size, and the overall health effects have been positive, as neither dog has heart worms, fleas, or ticks.

• Quality of Ingredients:

no worms

from Baltimore Md.

Comments about Heartgard Plus Chewables:

I can't get that dog to swallow a pill no matter how hard I try. Doesn't matter where I hide it, He chews around it and spits it out. With Heartgard he figures he's getting a treat. All I have to do is mark the date on my calendar and give him his chew. I don't even know how many years we have been using these but my Doxie is 9 yrs old and has never had a stomach reaction or heart worm. I think they are a great value . The non chewable pills are a little cheaper but who knows how much of the medicine the dog is getting if he keeps spitting the pill out and you have to keep trying to get it back inside.I don't know if he would ever have gotten heart worm without Heartgard but I know my peace of mind and his health make sure I never take the chance.

Quality of Ingredients
The ingredients are exactly what the vet recommends and good flavoring too

Side Effects
It won't allow me to do zero. I have never seen any side effect. A lot of medications bother him because he has a tricky digestive system but no problem with the heartgard at all.

• Quality of Ingredients:

Best Deworming Brand

Comments about Heartgard Plus Chewables:

I love the Heartguard Plus Chewables deworming product for dogs. They are actually tasty because I do not have to shove them down my dogs throat I just give them to her and she eats it. Some other brands are actually pills and she would refuse to take them without a messy bribe. They also work very quickly and very well. My dog once had worms so my veterinarian prescribed this brand and they were quickly gone within one dose. She has been on this medication ever since and has never had a problem with parasites again. This is remarkable since she has been living in the same conditions as when she had them without the protection of Heartguard Plus. I use these for all four of my dogs and have gotten the same great results. When you buy them in bulk they are also affordable which is nice.

Side Effects
There have been no ill side effects for any of the four dogs I have used this medicine on for over seven years.

• Quality of Ingredients:
  • Side Effects:

Dog will always eat his medicine!

Comments about Heartgard Plus Chewables:

This is one medication my dog looks forward to getting every month. He sees the box come out and comes running. How they can get such a medicine to taste fantastic to picky dogs is beyond me but Ben loves it.

This is one of those maintence medications that are paramount to dog owners. People may think that they don't need it since their dog does not spend much time outside, but it is definitely something every dog owner should invest in.

Heartworm is a VERY painful thing to treat should your dog be unlucky enough to contract it, and it is 100% preventable! I always make sure to get a prescription for this for my pooch and Heartgard is the brand I trust. It would be nice if it was available without a vet prescription, because the vet clinic we use for routine shots won't do a heartworm test.

I am quite happy with the protection my dog has against Heartworm, and I am comforted knowing that Heartgard guarantees he won't contract it!

• Side Effects:

Heartgard Plus Chewables are a winner with me and my dog!

from Pennsylvania

Comments about Heartgard Plus Chewables:

Heartworm disease is a serious cause of death among dogs. Giving my dog, who is a lab/sheppard mix, heartworm medicine is one of the easiest things I can do to protect her health. I love these Heartgard Plus Chewables and so does my dog. Although my dog will take pills wrapped up in food, the pills sometimes fall out and then she doesn't want to eat them. I've even had some partially dissolve and then she really doesn't want anything to do with it. This causes me to have to throw away and waste the pill. These come in beef flavor which must taste good because my dog loves them. I just give her one once a month and she chews it up just like a treat. They are given once a month. You can buy them in six or twelve month packs. They are affordable and cost a lot less then the ones I have gotten from my vet. Using these really gives me peace of mind and I highly recommend them for dog owners.

• Side Effects:

A delicious treat that guards your dog against heartworms!

Comments about Heartgard Plus Chewables:

We have used Heartgard for years, and our dogs love the treats because they taste good. We love Heartgard because it keeps our dogs healthy and worm free! For as long as we have used this course of prevention, our dogs have never had heartworm issues. I am confident in this product and have been relying on it for at least 10 years.
I truly love that this is one medicine I don't have to struggle to give my dogs. They love their Heartard treats every month. It is a relief for me that I don't have to disguise or hide it in any way when it is time to give it to them.

Quality of Ingredients
The ingredients used in this Heartgard are effective and make it a great product. I know it will prevent my dogs from getting heartworms, and I give it to my dogs faithfully every month.

Side Effects
My dogs have not experienced any side effects from using this product, to my knowledge. They love the tasty treats, and become excited when they see the Heartgard medication every month.

• Quality of Ingredients:

Comments about Heartgard Plus Chewables:

Heartworm is scary when you think about your dogs. It can kill them and is contracted through mosquitoes so it's not like you can just keep your dog away from the cause. Fortunately there is heartgard plus chewables. I love my dog, he is part of my family and I want to protect him from everything I can. I feel safe knowing that I can give him heartgard plus every month and he is protected from the dreaded heartworm. I start in the early spring, in May and give him one every month. He thinks it is a taste treat, and he eagerly takes his heartgard plus chewable. He thinks it is a special treat. I know I can depend on it to work. Not only does it protect him from heartworm, it also protects him from roundworm and hookworm. While roundworms and hookworms are not lethal they will make your dog sick and can even make you sick, so it's good to know that my dog is protected from these also. I love knowing my dog is protected from all these nasty worms with one simple chew that he finds delicious.

Very high quality.

Side Effects
My dog has no side effects.

• Quality of Ingredients: