3.1
Other Dog Healths:
Flea & Tick Treatments

3.1

Pros

• Easy to use (10)
  • Effective (10)
  • Gentle (4)
  • Good value (4)

Cons

• Causes irritation (5)

• Larger pets (3)
    • Quality of Ingredients:
    • Side Effects:
    • Reviewer Profile:
    • Long-time pet owner (15)

Comfortis is amazing!

We live in Florida where fleas can be a problem year round. My dog was constantly itching and everything else we have tried wasn't working very well. I was a bit skeptical at first about trying Comfortis and the claim that it could kill all the fleas in 30min- 4 hours but I am now impressed! My veterinarian recommended it to us over 6 months ago and I didn't want to switch at the time because I was afraid of it possibly making him sick but his itching started to get so bad that I decided to give it a try. I gave this to my dog on a very full stomach and then washed his dog bed. After it was finished drying I put it on the floor for him so he could lay down on it and when he got up a couple hours later, there were dead fleas all over it! (it is a cream color and easy to see them). I will definitely recommend this product to others and I am thankful for the relief it has provided my dog. I did not see any adverse reactions after giving this to my dog and he is about 50lbs. I only wish they made this for my cats too.

Do NOT use Comfortis!

I gave Comfortis to my 8 month old Shiba Inu last Friday.  Four hours later, he seemed to be in pain, squinted/shut his eyes (eye dilation/blindess are reported as side-effects on the Comfortis website), arched his neck and constantly opened his mouth and thrust out his tongue.  I was able to get my vet on the phone 45 minutes later and he told me to take the dog outside for a short walk.  My dog lay down on each grassy patch we came to but when we got back in the house he curled up and fell asleep.  The next morning, he was very lethargic and didn't want to eat.  I took him to see his vet and he was checked thoroughly and a blood sample taken.  My dog slept the rest of the day and tired quickly on a short walk that evening.  When the vet called with his blood test results (OK), we decided NOT to use the Comfortis again; the vet said to bring the remaining Comfortis pills back and he would give me a topical treatment to use.  A week later, my dog still tires quickly on his walks, pants for a long time after any physical exertion, has been unusually nervous and is  chewing  everything in sight.

I started researching consumer reviews of Comfortis and found the Dolittler website with distressing reports of dogs suffering serious problems (including seizures and death) with owners feeling Comfortis to be the cause.  Please look at that website before you decide whether to use Comfortis.

My dog's reaction was mild compared to others I read on the Dolittler blog but I made a report to Eli Lilly and will be making a direct report to the FDA.  (This is an FDA-approved drug and after reading the clinical trials report, you really question how that came to be.)

No fleas.. no hair

from GA USA

About Me Long-time Pet Owner

Pros

• Easy To Use
  • Effective

Cons

• Weight loss

Comments about Comfortis:

Well the fleas are gone but so is her hair... my previously pefectly healthy cat was put on this stuff 3mos ago. We noticed shedding and thinning patches but figured it was her shedding her winter coat but on overdrive. She now has lost 3lbs and what little hair is coming in is very thin. She has patchces of uneven thin growth all down her back an legs. Prior to comfortis she was a long haired perfectly healthy beauty. Vet ran all kinds of blood tests with no definitive results and is at a loss for the cause. Her skin is perfect otherwise with no signs of anything else. The only correlation is to the comfortis.

DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT

from Melbourne, Australia

Pros

Cons

• Causes Irritation
      • Dangerous
      • Horrible
      • Not Effective
      • Waste of money

Comments about Comfortis:

We bought this product hoping it will cite my Maltese X shihtzu's fleas yet instead, it has nearly killed her. She is 6 and usually running around and energetic yet straight after using Comfortis that we bought from our vet, she has been stuck in bed, lethargic, made it hard for her to breathe, can barely walk, discharge from nose and eyes and diarrhoea. After 5 days of this we took her to the vet which told us that they weren't sure what has caused this and were basically dumbfounded. They told us that she will die most likely due to starvation as she has lost her appetite. It has now been a week and she is not slowly moving a bit more yet after reading all of the horrible reviews from others saying that it killed their pets we are still extremely worried about her. Please do not buy this product!

I would not ever buy this stuff again...

from Ventura ca

Pros

Cons

• Causes Irritation

Comments about Comfortis:

After taking comfortis my dog came down with a BAD (intestine infection) diarrhea for 7 days (very ill) = one visit to the vet $100 later. Poor dog I feel so bad he was feeling great before I gave him this stuff never again....

from Houston, TX

About Me Long-time Pet Owner

Pros

• Easy To Use
            • Effective

Comments about Comfortis:

Here in Houston fleas are a problem. Rebel is about 78 LBS - 4 year old - Labrador. I hate giving my dogs poison for any reason. Prior to Reb's 1st Comfortis, he was constantly scratching and irritated by fleas. I bathed him every 3 days and it helped, but did not eliminate the fleas. I finally came to the conclusion, poison is the only way to give him quality of life, here in Houston. Last June 6th I gave Reb his 1st Comfortis and 30 minutes later all his fleas were gone. All the fleas in the house were gone after a couple days. Reb had no adverse reaction to Comfortis. Now, it is 4 months later and I have not given him any more pills and he is still flea free! That's right, 1 pill and he is flea free for 4 months. My point to this is, if your dog is flea free wait until you notice fleas. Comfortis is the only medication I have found effective here in Houston. Good luck!

Does what it's meant to do

from Bogota, Colombia

About Me New Pet Owner

Pros

• Easy To Use
                • Effective

• Short-Term Care

Comments about Comfortis:

Works and doesnt affect my pets skin or hair, all good.

Dont use it!

from Destin, FL

About Me Long-time Pet Owner

Pros

• Effective

Cons

• It cost me a fortune in vet bills + my dogs ill!

Comments about Comfortis:

Ever since my Pom started on the product--his health has declined majorly. He is now diabetic, blind, has thyroid issues and acts as though he has major toxicity issues. Hes had so much blood work . . yes it works for fleas but his vet always says he doesn't have a happy liver. He was great until he started on it.

I would not give comfortis to my dog ever again.

from Daytona beach, fla

Pros

Cons

• Causes Irritation
                      • My pet developed bad rash by her private area
                      • Not Effective
                      • Vomited n still has fleas. Never again.

Comments about Comfortis:

Always used trifexis n never problems. Tried comfortis one month n first dose vomited n second dose gave my pet a severe rash in her private area n also gave her open wounds n pimples on legs n private area.. will never use nothing but Trifexis ever again. Very sad they actually have this comfortis pill on the market with all the bad side effects.

Save your pets and do not use this product

from Norman, OK

Pros

• Easy To Use

Comments about Comfortis:

I gave this medicine to my 4 year old cat yesterday morning and had to euthanize him this morning do to complication do to comfortis. Vomiting, hard to breath, would not eat. This product should be banned.

Fabulous!

from Bristol Tn.

About Me Long-time Pet Owner

Pros

• Easy To Use
                            • Effective
                            • Gentle
                            • Good Value

Comments about Comfortis:

I am thrilled! We have been struggling with fleas this year nothing has worked and the animals have been very uncomfortable! I finally got sick of this fight and spoke with the vet and got a dose for each of my 5 animals (3 dogs and 2 cats). Within hours the animals are happy and relaxed and we are literally finding dead fleas all over! We have tried everything else and spent tons of money it's ridiculous! I will have to vacuum daily for a while and plan to continue this treatment. Best product we have tried in ages and thrilled to get my fur babies some much deserved relief!

I will never use this product on any animal again

from Boone, North Carolina

About Me Long-time Pet Owner

Pros

• No pros

Cons

• Harmful
                                • poisonous

• Should not be used

Comments about Comfortis:

I used Comforis on my last cat for four months without any issues, but I did notice that each time I gave it to him, he was more reluctant to take it than the last. I didn't think too much of it. We recently adopted a one year old healthy cat who was given a clean bill of health at the vet the week before. We gave our new cat Comfortis and within a couple hours he was acting a little odd. Nothing really concerning, but he seemed a little confused and off balance. That evening before bed, I noticed he hadn't finished the food in his bowl, which is unusual for him, and he spent the night hunched in the back corner of my closest instead of sprawled out on the floor next to our bed. He proceeded no not eat, drink, or use the bathroom for the next three days. He wouldn't even eat a small chicken dinner we made for him. His fur became clumped because of sweat, and he would howl in pain any time we touched his underbelly. I really believed he was going to die. On the fourth day, he began making little appearances outside of the closet and eating some wet food. Today is day 5, and he is looking like he's going to pull through, but I will absolutely never be using Comfortis, or any other spinosad or chemical pesticide flea treatment on either of my cats ever again. I have since read many other reviews about liver failure, enlarged hearts, and fatal blood poisoning due to Comfortis, Trifexis, and Assurity flea "medications."