3.1
Other Dog Healths:
Flea & Tick Treatments

3.1

Pros

• Easy to use (7)
  • Effective (7)
  • Gentle (4)
  • Good value (4)

Cons

• Causes irritation (3)

• Larger pets (3)
    • Quality of Ingredients:
    • Side Effects:
    • Reviewer Profile:
    • Long-time pet owner (11)

Comfortis is amazing!

We live in Florida where fleas can be a problem year round. My dog was constantly itching and everything else we have tried wasn't working very well. I was a bit skeptical at first about trying Comfortis and the claim that it could kill all the fleas in 30min- 4 hours but I am now impressed! My veterinarian recommended it to us over 6 months ago and I didn't want to switch at the time because I was afraid of it possibly making him sick but his itching started to get so bad that I decided to give it a try. I gave this to my dog on a very full stomach and then washed his dog bed. After it was finished drying I put it on the floor for him so he could lay down on it and when he got up a couple hours later, there were dead fleas all over it! (it is a cream color and easy to see them). I will definitely recommend this product to others and I am thankful for the relief it has provided my dog. I did not see any adverse reactions after giving this to my dog and he is about 50lbs. I only wish they made this for my cats too.

Do NOT use Comfortis!

I gave Comfortis to my 8 month old Shiba Inu last Friday.  Four hours later, he seemed to be in pain, squinted/shut his eyes (eye dilation/blindess are reported as side-effects on the Comfortis website), arched his neck and constantly opened his mouth and thrust out his tongue.  I was able to get my vet on the phone 45 minutes later and he told me to take the dog outside for a short walk.  My dog lay down on each grassy patch we came to but when we got back in the house he curled up and fell asleep.  The next morning, he was very lethargic and didn't want to eat.  I took him to see his vet and he was checked thoroughly and a blood sample taken.  My dog slept the rest of the day and tired quickly on a short walk that evening.  When the vet called with his blood test results (OK), we decided NOT to use the Comfortis again; the vet said to bring the remaining Comfortis pills back and he would give me a topical treatment to use.  A week later, my dog still tires quickly on his walks, pants for a long time after any physical exertion, has been unusually nervous and is  chewing  everything in sight.

I started researching consumer reviews of Comfortis and found the Dolittler website with distressing reports of dogs suffering serious problems (including seizures and death) with owners feeling Comfortis to be the cause.  Please look at that website before you decide whether to use Comfortis.

My dog's reaction was mild compared to others I read on the Dolittler blog but I made a report to Eli Lilly and will be making a direct report to the FDA.  (This is an FDA-approved drug and after reading the clinical trials report, you really question how that came to be.)

Dont use it!

from Destin, FL

About Me Long-time Pet Owner

Pros

• Effective

Cons

• It cost me a fortune in vet bills + my dogs ill!

Comments about Comfortis:

Ever since my Pom started on the product--his health has declined majorly. He is now diabetic, blind, has thyroid issues and acts as though he has major toxicity issues. Hes had so much blood work . . yes it works for fleas but his vet always says he doesn't have a happy liver. He was great until he started on it.

I would not give comfortis to my dog ever again.

from Daytona beach, fla

Pros

Cons

• Causes Irritation
      • My pet developed bad rash by her private area
      • Not Effective
      • Vomited n still has fleas. Never again.

Comments about Comfortis:

Always used trifexis n never problems. Tried comfortis one month n first dose vomited n second dose gave my pet a severe rash in her private area n also gave her open wounds n pimples on legs n private area.. will never use nothing but Trifexis ever again. Very sad they actually have this comfortis pill on the market with all the bad side effects.

Save your pets and do not use this product

from Norman, OK

Pros

• Easy To Use

Comments about Comfortis:

I gave this medicine to my 4 year old cat yesterday morning and had to euthanize him this morning do to complication do to comfortis. Vomiting, hard to breath, would not eat. This product should be banned.

Fabulous!

from Bristol Tn.

About Me Long-time Pet Owner

Pros

• Easy To Use
            • Effective
            • Gentle
            • Good Value

Comments about Comfortis:

I am thrilled! We have been struggling with fleas this year nothing has worked and the animals have been very uncomfortable! I finally got sick of this fight and spoke with the vet and got a dose for each of my 5 animals (3 dogs and 2 cats). Within hours the animals are happy and relaxed and we are literally finding dead fleas all over! We have tried everything else and spent tons of money it's ridiculous! I will have to vacuum daily for a while and plan to continue this treatment. Best product we have tried in ages and thrilled to get my fur babies some much deserved relief!

I will never use this product on any animal again

from Boone, North Carolina

About Me Long-time Pet Owner

Pros

• No pros

Cons

• Harmful
                • poisonous

• Should not be used

Comments about Comfortis:

I used Comforis on my last cat for four months without any issues, but I did notice that each time I gave it to him, he was more reluctant to take it than the last. I didn't think too much of it. We recently adopted a one year old healthy cat who was given a clean bill of health at the vet the week before. We gave our new cat Comfortis and within a couple hours he was acting a little odd. Nothing really concerning, but he seemed a little confused and off balance. That evening before bed, I noticed he hadn't finished the food in his bowl, which is unusual for him, and he spent the night hunched in the back corner of my closest instead of sprawled out on the floor next to our bed. He proceeded no not eat, drink, or use the bathroom for the next three days. He wouldn't even eat a small chicken dinner we made for him. His fur became clumped because of sweat, and he would howl in pain any time we touched his underbelly. I really believed he was going to die. On the fourth day, he began making little appearances outside of the closet and eating some wet food. Today is day 5, and he is looking like he's going to pull through, but I will absolutely never be using Comfortis, or any other spinosad or chemical pesticide flea treatment on either of my cats ever again. I have since read many other reviews about liver failure, enlarged hearts, and fatal blood poisoning due to Comfortis, Trifexis, and Assurity flea "medications."

Foul smelling and tasting. My dogs and I agree!

from Florida

Pros

Cons

• A waste of money. My dogs run from it!

Comments about Comfortis:

This has to be the most difficult medication to administer in the history of dog treatment. Almost impossible to mask the smell of this concoction. Over proced to begin with and waste due to rejection by dogs makes it even more so!

Best flea product I have ever used

from Bon Secour Al

About Me Long-time Pet Owner

Pros

• Easy To Use
                    • Effective
                    • Gentle
                    • Good Value
                    • kills fleas in home too

• Daily Care
                      • Larger Pets
                      • Older Pets
                      • Rids an infestation in one dose
                      • Short-Term Care
                      • Smaller Pets
                      • Travel
                      • Younger Pets

Comments about Comfortis:

I have rescued and fostered for over 10 years I usually only have to use this product once a year of if we go for a visit and they pick up fleas

love it

from springfield mo

About Me Long-time Pet Owner

Pros

• Easy To Use
                      • Effective
                      • Gentle
                      • Good Value

• Daily Care
                        • Larger Pets
                        • Older Pets

Comments about Comfortis:

I have used comforts for a few years now it is easy to give my dogs don't have reactions for it like they do a topical solution it is very affective and I would highly recommend it to all pet parents

Works for me

from San Diego, CA

About Me Professional Pet Trainer

Pros

• Easy To Use
                        • Effective
                        • Gentle

Comments about Comfortis:

I am not sure why some people have had problems or deaths with this product- I must admit that does scatr me a bit; however I decided to come on here to share that I very confused as to why some people's animals have died. I use comfortis as directed, (after a meal), and according to animal weight, (erring on the side of caution with small dose), and with three dogs and two cats have effectively tested them eache simmer for two years with this product, (obtained by the vet) with not one problem whatsoever! In fact, the cats I use it on were my grandmas, and one of them was somewhat feral and scared of humans. After I forced her fist dose of comfortis, the very next day she ran to me and rubbed on my legs! She was so happy and grateful to me as if she knew that what I did helped her.

Works for the foster dog

from San Francisco Bay Area, CA

About Me Long-time Pet Owner

Pros

• Easy To Use
                            • Effective

Comments about Comfortis:

We have a foster dog who had skin issues around her tail. She was itching and had chewed a lot of her hair off, and while the skin wasn't raw, it was thickened and looked terrible. She was on Frontline/Advantage (we switch between the two)but still itched. We had her on a limited food diet and were bathing her twice a week with prescription shampoo. Finally, about 4 months into it, the vet wondered if she had flea allergies and started us on Comfortis. Several days later her itching ceased, and we were able to discontinue the special shampoo in a couple of months. Her hair around her rear has grown back, and she eats regular dog food. Although I would still try Advantage and Frontline first, I highly suspect that fleas are evolving past it, and if your pet can tolerate it, is a suitable alternative. The foster pup has absolutely no trouble with eating it (but she does have a stomach of steel)