3.2
Other Dog Healths:
Flea & Tick Treatments

3.2

Pros

• Easy to use (6)
  • Effective (6)
  • Gentle (4)
  • Good value (4)

• Larger pets (3)
    • Quality of Ingredients:
    • Side Effects:
    • Reviewer Profile:
    • Long-time pet owner (9)

Comfortis is amazing!

We live in Florida where fleas can be a problem year round. My dog was constantly itching and everything else we have tried wasn't working very well. I was a bit skeptical at first about trying Comfortis and the claim that it could kill all the fleas in 30min- 4 hours but I am now impressed! My veterinarian recommended it to us over 6 months ago and I didn't want to switch at the time because I was afraid of it possibly making him sick but his itching started to get so bad that I decided to give it a try. I gave this to my dog on a very full stomach and then washed his dog bed. After it was finished drying I put it on the floor for him so he could lay down on it and when he got up a couple hours later, there were dead fleas all over it! (it is a cream color and easy to see them). I will definitely recommend this product to others and I am thankful for the relief it has provided my dog. I did not see any adverse reactions after giving this to my dog and he is about 50lbs. I only wish they made this for my cats too.

Do NOT use Comfortis!

I gave Comfortis to my 8 month old Shiba Inu last Friday.  Four hours later, he seemed to be in pain, squinted/shut his eyes (eye dilation/blindess are reported as side-effects on the Comfortis website), arched his neck and constantly opened his mouth and thrust out his tongue.  I was able to get my vet on the phone 45 minutes later and he told me to take the dog outside for a short walk.  My dog lay down on each grassy patch we came to but when we got back in the house he curled up and fell asleep.  The next morning, he was very lethargic and didn't want to eat.  I took him to see his vet and he was checked thoroughly and a blood sample taken.  My dog slept the rest of the day and tired quickly on a short walk that evening.  When the vet called with his blood test results (OK), we decided NOT to use the Comfortis again; the vet said to bring the remaining Comfortis pills back and he would give me a topical treatment to use.  A week later, my dog still tires quickly on his walks, pants for a long time after any physical exertion, has been unusually nervous and is  chewing  everything in sight.

I started researching consumer reviews of Comfortis and found the Dolittler website with distressing reports of dogs suffering serious problems (including seizures and death) with owners feeling Comfortis to be the cause.  Please look at that website before you decide whether to use Comfortis.

My dog's reaction was mild compared to others I read on the Dolittler blog but I made a report to Eli Lilly and will be making a direct report to the FDA.  (This is an FDA-approved drug and after reading the clinical trials report, you really question how that came to be.)

Fabulous!

from Bristol Tn.

About Me Long-time Pet Owner

Pros

• Easy To Use
  • Effective
  • Gentle
  • Good Value

Comments about Comfortis:

I am thrilled! We have been struggling with fleas this year nothing has worked and the animals have been very uncomfortable! I finally got sick of this fight and spoke with the vet and got a dose for each of my 5 animals (3 dogs and 2 cats). Within hours the animals are happy and relaxed and we are literally finding dead fleas all over! We have tried everything else and spent tons of money it's ridiculous! I will have to vacuum daily for a while and plan to continue this treatment. Best product we have tried in ages and thrilled to get my fur babies some much deserved relief!

I will never use this product on any animal again

from Boone, North Carolina

About Me Long-time Pet Owner

Pros

• No pros

Cons

• Harmful
      • poisonous

• Should not be used

Comments about Comfortis:

I used Comforis on my last cat for four months without any issues, but I did notice that each time I gave it to him, he was more reluctant to take it than the last. I didn't think too much of it. We recently adopted a one year old healthy cat who was given a clean bill of health at the vet the week before. We gave our new cat Comfortis and within a couple hours he was acting a little odd. Nothing really concerning, but he seemed a little confused and off balance. That evening before bed, I noticed he hadn't finished the food in his bowl, which is unusual for him, and he spent the night hunched in the back corner of my closest instead of sprawled out on the floor next to our bed. He proceeded no not eat, drink, or use the bathroom for the next three days. He wouldn't even eat a small chicken dinner we made for him. His fur became clumped because of sweat, and he would howl in pain any time we touched his underbelly. I really believed he was going to die. On the fourth day, he began making little appearances outside of the closet and eating some wet food. Today is day 5, and he is looking like he's going to pull through, but I will absolutely never be using Comfortis, or any other spinosad or chemical pesticide flea treatment on either of my cats ever again. I have since read many other reviews about liver failure, enlarged hearts, and fatal blood poisoning due to Comfortis, Trifexis, and Assurity flea "medications."

Foul smelling and tasting. My dogs and I agree!

from Florida

Pros

Cons

• A waste of money. My dogs run from it!

Comments about Comfortis:

This has to be the most difficult medication to administer in the history of dog treatment. Almost impossible to mask the smell of this concoction. Over proced to begin with and waste due to rejection by dogs makes it even more so!

Best flea product I have ever used

from Bon Secour Al

About Me Long-time Pet Owner

Pros

• Easy To Use
          • Effective
          • Gentle
          • Good Value
          • kills fleas in home too

• Daily Care
            • Older Pets
            • Rids an infestation in one dose
            • Short-Term Care
            • Smaller Pets
            • Travel
            • Younger Pets

Comments about Comfortis:

I have rescued and fostered for over 10 years I usually only have to use this product once a year of if we go for a visit and they pick up fleas

love it

from springfield mo

About Me Long-time Pet Owner

Pros

• Easy To Use
            • Effective
            • Gentle
            • Good Value

• Daily Care
              • Older Pets

Comments about Comfortis:

I have used comforts for a few years now it is easy to give my dogs don't have reactions for it like they do a topical solution it is very affective and I would highly recommend it to all pet parents

Works for me

from San Diego, CA

About Me Professional Pet Trainer

Pros

• Easy To Use
              • Effective
              • Gentle

Comments about Comfortis:

I am not sure why some people have had problems or deaths with this product- I must admit that does scatr me a bit; however I decided to come on here to share that I very confused as to why some people's animals have died. I use comfortis as directed, (after a meal), and according to animal weight, (erring on the side of caution with small dose), and with three dogs and two cats have effectively tested them eache simmer for two years with this product, (obtained by the vet) with not one problem whatsoever! In fact, the cats I use it on were my grandmas, and one of them was somewhat feral and scared of humans. After I forced her fist dose of comfortis, the very next day she ran to me and rubbed on my legs! She was so happy and grateful to me as if she knew that what I did helped her.

Works for the foster dog

from San Francisco Bay Area, CA

About Me Long-time Pet Owner

Pros

• Easy To Use
                  • Effective

Comments about Comfortis:

We have a foster dog who had skin issues around her tail. She was itching and had chewed a lot of her hair off, and while the skin wasn't raw, it was thickened and looked terrible. She was on Frontline/Advantage (we switch between the two)but still itched. We had her on a limited food diet and were bathing her twice a week with prescription shampoo. Finally, about 4 months into it, the vet wondered if she had flea allergies and started us on Comfortis. Several days later her itching ceased, and we were able to discontinue the special shampoo in a couple of months. Her hair around her rear has grown back, and she eats regular dog food. Although I would still try Advantage and Frontline first, I highly suspect that fleas are evolving past it, and if your pet can tolerate it, is a suitable alternative. The foster pup has absolutely no trouble with eating it (but she does have a stomach of steel)

LOVE this product

from Tulsa, OK

About Me Long-time Pet Owner

Pros

• Also Repels Ticks
                      • Effective
                      • Good Value
                      • Works Much Longer Than 30
                      • Works On Giant Breed Dogs

Comments about Comfortis:

I live in Oklahoma where fleas and ticks can be a really horrible part of Spring/Summer. I had been trying treatment after treatment of flea/tick repellant on my 185# Great Dane, and NOTHING worked, other than bathing him every other day with Dawn dish soap. Because of his weight, any medicine I would get from his vet was, a lot of times, prohibitively expensive. It was for that reason I was a bit shy about trying Comfortis for the first time. I finally gave it a try, and gave my Dane his first dose. After YEARS of nothing working for him, I cannot tell you how thrilled I was that virtually all fleas that were on him were dead before I could get him home from the vets office. Comfortis does not claim to work on ticks, but it sure has on my Dane, and 2 American Bulldogs. I also only have to dose my dogs every 45 to 60 days! I will never use anything else,,,,love, love, love!

Be Aware

from San Francisco

About Me Long-time Pet Owner

Pros

• Easy To Use

Cons

• Causes Irritation

Comments about Comfortis:

My dog, Bella, is a very healthy labrador retriever. A few months ago, we decided to try Comfortis. It was a big mistake. A few days after taking the tablet, she had a very bad seizure. It was very scary.

From reading many of the other reviews, I can tell that Comfortis does combat fleas, but potential users should also be warned that it does have terrible side effects. I just don't think the potential harm to our dogs and cats is worth the risk.

RichardU

Not a Fan!

from San Diego, CA

Pros

Cons

• Causes Irritation

Comments about Comfortis:

I have a 9lb, 10 year old Chihuahua. I have used Comfortis for the last 3 years for his flea control. He previously had no major problems but after each dose he would not eat until late in the day (I always gave his dose early in the morning with a full meal) and I would have to hand feed him to get him to eat after his morning dose. I also noticed he was unsteady on his feet and confused, he would just wander around the day of his dose and he was "urpy" but would not vomit; per say. We skipped about 3 months during the winter and I gave him his dose a few weeks ago, on a Monday morning; as usual. He was happy and heathy previously and reacted as usual to the dose. Wednesday night he vomited a large amount in his bed. He was lethargic and ate very little on Thursday. Friday morning he vomited again, this is very abnormal for him. In the 10 years we have had him he has vomited half a dozen times and has NEVER had diarrhea; stomach of steel. Saturday morning he stopped eating and drinking all together. We got him wet food on Saturday and he ate a little. Sunday, he refused the wet food and still was not drinking. Monday morning to the vet we go... I had been using an eye dropper all weekend to get water in him. I told the vet I thought it was the comfortis. No, she said; it wouldn't take so long. It must be an infection or GI issue. It didn't make sense as his stools were solid all week, including that morning. She felt his belly and he didn't even grimace and no fever. Did blood work and he checked out fine, a little dehydrated. She wanted to give him antibiotics but I refused, for what? He didn't have a fever, if it was an infection; he would have a fever. They gave him a intravenous liquids and Cerentia for the nausea. Mind you he hadn't vomited since Friday. We brought him home and made him chicken and rice. He ate about 2 tablespoons but still wouldn't drink. She had me giving him Pepcid & probiotics for his belly, nothing changed. Tuesday morning when he woke up, he did his morning shake and nearly fell over. He kept shaking his head. We went for a walk and he was walking sideways and would lose his balance when he lifted his leg to pee. I then called Comfortis to report the reaction and called the vet. She still didn't think it had anything to do with the Comfortis, he's probably just dehydrated. I noticed from the time this started he would get up from his bed every 15 minutes or so and go to his other bed, back and forth all day. He usually naps in one bed for hours, abnormal. Tuesday afternoon, I was laying on the floor with him; next to his bed. He got up and was staring at the floor. He looked dizzy. He looked up at me and his eyes were darting back and forth. This went on for about 2 minutes and then it stopped. He went to his other bed and laid down. I got on the internet and found info on vestibular syndrome. I gave him 12.5mg of meclazine and within an hour he was eating. I gave him the sake dose every 12 hours and by Wednesday night he was eating and drinking. I stopped the dosing and it has been a week, he is his old self again. I am so grateful he is ok but he will never take Comfortis again. I don't care what the vet says, I know my dog and he was fine before the dose and after reading all the horror stories online, we are not alone. Beware, the product works at killing fleas; but you also risk killing your beloved pet.