Other Digital Cameras:
Point-and-Shoot Digital Cameras
Panasonic
Panasonic LUMIX Digital Camera DMC-TZ5

Panasonic LUMIX Digital Camera DMC-TZ5

TZ5 with Leica lens is a winner!

The Panasonic TZ5 is a small, fast, digital point-and-shoot with an amazing Leica 10x optical zoom, and a very clear 3 inch high-resolution (470,000 pixel) LCD screen.

The 10x Leica...Read complete review

The 10x Leica optical zoom (28mm-280mm equiv.) ranging from wide-angle to telephoto is a delight to use, showing no color fringing (truly surprising) that I could see, and amazing detail. The camera is replete with features such as image stabilization (two modes), metering modes, auto-focus modes, three aspects ratios (4:3, 3:2, and 16:9), and HD video.

Following action with people, animals or kids when zoomed-in is NOT easy since there is no viewfinder, but it is a great camera for landscapes, architecture, group shots, close-ups and family videos. The 28mm wide angle is very sharp. Zooming is smooth and speedy. Color rendition is beautiful.

AUTO program prioritizes shutter speed over lens opening (aperture) often setting it to the maximum, and SCENE modes change ISO (increasing noise) frequently to achieve its priority. There is NO manual mode and for those of us itching to control exposure settings (or sharpness as with the Panasonic LX2) it is a bit frustrating (even with a plus-or-minus two-stop override), but the results are usually exceptional.

The Leica lens exhibits exceptional sharpness, color, and contrast even in the corners. As is typical of many Panasonic cameras (TZ3, FZ8, FZ18, etc.), if you view your image at 100% on your computer screen you will see "noise" (similar to a fine-grain pattern) throughout your midtones and shadow areas. Shooting with a setting of FINE, the highest quality, and 9MP (full sensor), I found image noise is barely visible at 100% on large prints, and invisible on a 8x10 or smaller size prints. On an 11x14 print the image of 3,456 x 2,590 pixels is actually printing at 78%.

Noise becomes more noticeable at any ISO above 200. If you are more demanding of your images and want to minimize the effects of noise, I recommend Noise Ninja. I've gotten great results from it but it is not the only product on the market. Find something that you feel works for you. But again, some may not find the noise objectionable at all, particularly in prints.

This is a great point-and-shoot digital camera for a beginner, and yields sharp, beautiful results to those experienced or more demanding photographers, but only if you can learn to accept the auto results.

A Decent P&S with mixed results

The TZ5 is one of my first cameras from Panasonic.  The thing that most attracted me to it was the 10x zoom and more importantly, the HD Capability.  HD was not that big yet back 3-4 years ago.  When this camera came out, I told myself this would be a perfect beginner camera for all those planned trips.  I took it with me to several occasions and overall, I have to say my opinion on it is mixed.  The camera has 10x zoom which is very rare at the time in a pocketable point- and -shoot.  The 10x zoom also has another advantage of being wide-angle, giving you a great depth of your subject and who can forget Panasonic's revere optical image stabilzation.  The battery life is very good and the LCD screen is huge.  It is also very large and vibrant.  3 inch screen is still a rarity back 3-4 years ago.  While pocketable, this camera is a something you want to stuff in your jean pockets…it could make you very uncomfortable very fast.  This camera, despite being 9MP is not very good once you start cranking up the ISO. In fact, I don’t recommend anything above 100 because then the noise would just become intolerable.  It is also not very good in a low-light environment.  Furthermore, this camera is not recommended for fast-moving or action shots…you are better off with a higher end P&S or better yet a DLSR camera.  Overall, it’s a decent starter camera but I would not make it my primary Point-and-Shoot anytime soon.

Average Price Great Camera

from San Diego, CA

Comments about Panasonic LUMIX Digital Camera DMC-TZ5:

If you are looking for an inexpensive camera that is convenient for traveling and on the go, this panisonic is just the one I would recommend. it has a 9 megapixel resolution which is excellent for editing pictures and uploading to web sites or sharing with family and friends. It has a zoom lens that is functional while taking videos. You can also record video although the microphone is on the top left side of the camera and you need to be careful not to block it. I really like the shutter speed setting so you can set it as slow as 1 second or as fast as 1/200. Overall, for the cost it is very functional and attractive.

• Image Quality:
  • Battery Life:
  • Portability:

Panasonic DMC-TZ5 digital camera is a great camera!

from Mccomb, MS

Comments about Panasonic LUMIX Digital Camera DMC-TZ5:

I love my Panasonic DMC-TZ5 digital camera.  this is my first digital camera. it is very easy to use. there are several different settings to use depending on what you want to take pictures of. there are setting for snow scenes, fireworks, scenery, people, babies (who can even key in a babies name that will show up on the screen of the camera, unsure if it'll print on the actual picture), pets, self-portrait, night scenes, fast motion, etc.

so you will be able to take pictures of many different activities and events, and have them come out clearly.  if you are looking for a good digital camera, this is the one for you. if i can learn to use it, anyone can.

Great camera with fantastic ZOOM!

from Conroe, TX

Comments about Panasonic LUMIX Digital Camera DMC-TZ5:

I did a lot of research on cameras before I settled on the Panasonic TZ5.  I went to stores and tried out cameras, I researched on forums and I looked for the best deal.  This camera won because of several features.  Large LCD screen, 10X zoom, and the zoom button or controller doesn't cut into your finger like some other cameras, also recharable battery.  I didn't want something that took AA batteries..

This camera is a little larger than a lot of the digitals out there, but you can get a good grip and don't feel like your going to drop it, also take pictures one handed is easy.  Battery life is good as well.

Takes good pictures. Face detection works well.  Videos are good but only play on Quicktime.  So far I am happy with my purchase and I've had the camera for almost a year.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 i a great little camera!

from Farmingdale, NY

Comments about Panasonic LUMIX Digital Camera DMC-TZ5:

I bought this camera last summer. I LOVE it.

Here are the Pros:

Compact size

Lightweight

Amazing 10X optical zoom

Large display on back

IA (Intelligent Automatic) works great.

Vivid, clear photos

Easy to download to PC

Rechargable battery/charger included

Cons:

Takes longer than average to focus

Photos not quite as sharp as similar Canon POS

Flash not very strong

I took this camera to Hawaii last August, and got some excellent pictures. I used it on the Cruise, for scenery, outdoors at the pool, indoors in the cabin and restaurants. Also used it on a helicopter ride, with amazing results. Low light situations can be a bit frustrating because it seems to take the camera a little too long to focus. The lens is huge on this camera, the only one I've seen with a 10X optical zoom at this price point. The rechargable battery last a long time, but unlike my old Canon, you can't use regular batteries, if the charge runs out. But fortunately, Panasonic includes a wall charger, and the battery does last a long time. The controls on the camera are clear and easy to understand. I was able to use it right out of the box (I hate reading directions). Basically this camera has a solid weight to it, which makes it seem durable. I have had this camera for a year, and have taken well over 2000 pics. No problems at all.

I highly recommend this camera!

This is a great camera

from Lancaster, PA

Comments about Panasonic LUMIX Digital Camera DMC-TZ5:

I love my new Panasonic DMC-TZ5.  It has more features than I will ever use.  Battery life is very good - i was leary of getting a new camera without rechargable batteries because I like being able to have backup batteries, but so far so good with this camera.  I was also a little afraid of not having an actual view finder, but the screen is really big, easy to see, and so very clear.  Makes it very easy to share the pics immediately ( you know how you pass the camera around at events ) - well, this screen looks great.  I wish digital cameras would get rid of shutter lag - this one is quicker than my last digital camera, but it is still there.  I have learned to press while framing the shot, so people don't get annoyed.  The burst feature is great and takes a nice succession of shots.  The only thing is that if I don't use it, I have to go back to the manual.  It is great to have so many features, but it is a pain to have to go back to the manual all the time, but this would be the same on any cameral.  The SD micro format also allows me to easily transfer pics to my computer.  I would recommend this camera to anyone.  Oh, yeah, and the controls on the camera itself are simpler than most cameras out there,  I think.

I also picked the camera for its Leica lens.  They, and Nikkor lenses are the best.

This is my other baby!

from Portland, OR

Comments about Panasonic LUMIX Digital Camera DMC-TZ5:

I'm not one to take thousands of pics at an event, far from it, I get my pics from other people who were also there.

It's not that I don't have a camera...I just forget to get it out...and when my digital camera stopped functioning I couldn't be bothered to get it replaced... but then I got the Lumix TZ5 as a gift.

I LOVE THIS CAMERA!

It takes incredible video as well as incredible pictures. This is a camera for photography idiots like myself. Yes, it has tons of settings which I have yet to use but I don't have time set up anything when I'm tying to capture my toddler's antics. Point and shoot and the picture is genius! Crisp details with fantastic contrast....the pics look AMAZING!

And the video is as good as the pics. I can't recommend this camera enough. (needless to add the person who bought me this is now my new best friend)

The Professional Point-and-shoot!

from San Marcos, TX

Comments about Panasonic LUMIX Digital Camera DMC-TZ5:

After doing weeks of research, and using this camera for about a year, I would have to say that it is the absolute best point-and-shoot that you will ever find!  The combination of the Leica lens, 9 megapixels and 10X OPTICAL zoom on a hand-held, pocket-sized camera is absolutely marvelous!

I took this camera with me to Japan on study abroad trip, and it was the envy of everyone!  Many of my classmates were lugging around expensive SLRs with far too many lenses to keep up with.  What was amazing was that I was able to get some much better shots with my Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 than any of my classmates.  In fact, this camera helped me get an award-winning shot of Kinkakuji in Kyoto, as well as many more pictures I'm incredibly proud of.

While SLRs can never be replaced for studio and professional filming, this camera is perfect for the avid tourist/traveler who wants an easy way to take amazing shots almost anywhere in the world with ease.

A Pioneer In Digital Cameras

from Pittsburgh, PA

Comments about Panasonic LUMIX Digital Camera DMC-TZ5:

Ok, so when this camera first cam out I was all over it.  The idea of doing HD Videos with a simple pocket sized camera!  It was too good to be true.  But true it was!!!  And I can honestly say, after a few years, that this thing was worth it.  It feels sturdy but it is light & small enough to fit into my pocket.  That means I'll actually use it.  The sound on the video is fair.  IT's easy to cover the microphone with your left index finger if you're not paying attention.  But the images of the video are great.  It just wish it took better shots of indoor stuff.  It like, you get all of these megapixels but the pixels are splotchy & have to be reduced to 50% with a sharpen filter for actual use.  With the flash on, the shots hold more detail, but that means the lighting changes.  Also, as a plus, I can't fail to mention the optical zoom.  It not an SLR camera but you can get some good zoom, which is great for outdoors!

Lumix Camera does a great job for a compact camera!

from Williston, FL

Comments about Panasonic LUMIX Digital Camera DMC-TZ5:

I purchased my Lumix camera two years ago. I had a larger camera with a 10x optical zoom, but wanted something more compact and easier to carry around. After doing a little research, I came across the Lumix DMC-TZ5 digital camera. It has the 10x optical zoom, and a large view screen to see your picture easily. The menu and settings are easy to use and can be used for many different types of events. I use my camera at concerts, indoor, and outdoors and have great pictures most of the time. The batteries last for a long time. I bought a spare battery, so that I can charge one, while using another. The video camera function on this camera works pretty good too. I use it more than my actual video camera due to the easy access of using it and also uploading it online. I say for the price, it is a very good camera.

Best point & shoot I've had

from Holmdel, NJ

Comments about Panasonic LUMIX Digital Camera DMC-TZ5:

This camera is hands down the best point and shoot I have ever owned, and I have had 6. This is my first time going with Panasonic, but after my friends raved about the camera and trying theirs out for a bit, I just had to get this one. The image quality is top notch, but what really surprised me was the audio quality. In fact, I think this is better than my Flip video recorder when it comes to recording movies.

The color is vibrant and the images are usually sharp (despite my somewhat shaky hands). This definitely blends the line between a point & shoot and one of the fancy DSLR cameras, and there's more settings than I know how to use on this thing. I am not a newcomer when it comes to cameras, although I am not a professional either. I simply like to travel a lot and this camera is now my trusty companion.

I was a bit hesitant at first because of the higher price and the fact that it almost never goes on a decent sale, but I must say it is worth every penny. Have owned it for 6 months and no problems yet.