4.8

4.8

Great camera

from Columbus, OH

Comments about Panasonic LUMIX DMC-ZS3 / DMC-TZ7:

I was very impressed by the pictures this Panasonic LUMIX takes, both indoors and outdoors. It takes great pictures in low lighting, which is important to me. I take a lot of pictures of my kids indoors, and a lot of our family gatherings are small and indoors. So I needed a camera that took quality pictures in low lighting. I already owned a Kodak Easy Share digital camera, which worked great outdoors, but not indoors without using the flash. It's very small and easy to turn on and quickly snap pictures.

Image Quality
For the price, the image quality is great. If you don't want to spend a fortune on a camera, this is a great alternative.

It snaps pictures quickly when you hit the button. I haven't had any problems taking action photos either.

I've dropped it several times and it still works like it's brand new!

Portability
It's very small, compact and portable. Who wants to carry around interchangeable lenses and a big camera all day long to take pictures of the kids at the circus, zoo or carnival? I know I don't. So this camera is great for special occasions as well as every day occasions.

• Image Quality:
  • Battery Life:
  • Portability:

The Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 Digital Camera has been good for us.

from Raleigh, NC

Comments about Panasonic LUMIX DMC-ZS3 / DMC-TZ7:

I purchased the Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 digital camera about a year ago to replace a Nikon Coolpix S3 that I had had for a few years. I am by no means a photography expert, just an average person who takes photos at special occasions, and I would say this camera has been an improvement over the last one. It shoots better in low-light settings, has HD video capability, and has a bigger zoom. I also think that the battery life seems longer (but have never actually measured this). The main thing I felt I was sacrificing in this camera was a very compact size - the Coolpix was very slim and fit in a pocket easily, whereas the Lumix is probably 25-50% thicker - but I think it was ultimately a small price to pay for better photo quality.

pricey but worth it

from Rowland Heights, CA

Comments about Panasonic LUMIX DMC-ZS3 / DMC-TZ7:

so this is an older camera--there are newer version (the dmc zs6 and zs7) but since i don't have those and bought this last year, this is what i'm reviewing.

i love this camera. for a point and shoot, the images are very vivid and clear. this has a Leica lens, and it shows. the wide angle lens is also very very nice to have.

one thing i don't see reviewed much is the video recording. the camera records in 720P at 30FPS in the AVCHD lite format. your computer (using VLC) and your PS3 will play this back no problem. it's very nice quality, and the microphone is really really good. we went to a david cook concert and recorded from about the 5th row, zoomed, and picked up the music very nicely

one caveat: the batteries MUST be panasonic. you cannot use knock off batteries.

this camera is also very durable (knock on wood) i dropped it on concrete from about 5 feet up, and onto tile from 6 feet up. it's dented, but still works. LCD isn't cracked.

Love the Panasonic Lumix!

from Marysville, WA

Comments about Panasonic LUMIX DMC-ZS3 / DMC-TZ7:

You'll fall in love with the camera. After years of having a 5mp sony digital camera, it was time for an upgrade. I was given the Panasonic DMC-TZ7 as a Christmas gift. It was the best gift I've received in a long time! The camera works great. It's very easy for someone who isn't technologically inclined to operate. It has a fantastic zoom lense that allows to take up close or further ranged photos. It's very easy to change the settings based on action scenes, lighting, portraits, etc. The battery holds a charge for quite a while so there is no need to constantly recharge the battery (just follow the specifications in the manual). It's a nice compact camera so fitting it in my purse or even carrying it along isn't a problem. I'd definitely recommend using the case as that will keep the camera well protected. With two kids, I needed a camera that could take portraits and action shots and the Panasonic works great for both!

Best Digital Camera I've ever had

from Round Rock, TX

Comments about Panasonic LUMIX DMC-ZS3 / DMC-TZ7:

I have owned the Panasonic Lumix Digital Camera for some time now and have nothing but good things to say about it. After owning several other digital cameras of different brands that have eventually went out on me, this one seems to be lasting longer over the years. I am an avid picture taker and video recorder of my children and this digital camera has been there to take thousands of great pictures and record hundreds of my children's special moments in school, home, and sports. Any issues that I have had with this camera have been due to my error of not knowing everything about the camera. It is pretty simple to use versus other digital cameras, but when using this product the consumer does need to know how to use it to get the best pictures and video possible. I hope to have this digital cameras for years to come and continue to take many more great pictures and videos with it. I would recommend this brand because it is a great price for great quality.

Panasonic DMC-TZ7 Digital Camera

from Whittier, CA

Comments about Panasonic LUMIX DMC-ZS3 / DMC-TZ7:

I bought this camera mostly based on the reviews on Amazon. I looked at the ZS5 and ZS7. Tons of reviews. I also seen it on most consumer reports as one of the top 10 cameras. The iauto mode is a good way to get some good photos with not a lot of knowledge. Right out of the box point and shoot. I have take several pictures and everything looks great. Even in my room in the dark. I used it to replace my Nikon Coolpix 2100. I really like the large zoom. I know it will come in handly for travel. Video quality is not so great but it isn’t bad ether. Good to have both incase you need it. On thing I would like to see is smile detection added to the software. The noise reduction in ZS7 is pretty strong. I am not a real fan of the switches on it. I like the fact the Nikon will automatically turn off when not in use. Battery life is acceptable. GPS is great for the outdoors. But I always get no signal in the house. I wouldn’t take pictures over ISO 400. Looks on the grainy side. The large 3-inch high-resolution LCD screen with 460K pixels has a very good contrast. The pictures look GREAT! The camera is compact and ez to carry around.

Panasonic DMC-ZS3- Great all-around compact digital camera

from Minneapolis, MN

Comments about Panasonic LUMIX DMC-ZS3 / DMC-TZ7:

After owning this camera a little while, I think I have a good feeling for what it does in terms of strengths and weaknesses. There is an awful lot to like in a fairly small package. The lcd is big and bright, the camera is responsive, the optical zoom, and of course, the hd video recording. The camera performs well in most situations but really shines outdoors. Indoors, low-light situations can be a bit of an issue. It's clearly the one negative in terms of picture quality. The only other possible problem I've had is that the battery life is mediocre. Of course, this is coming from someone who owned a Fuji F30. A battery that would seemingly last forever. But put in perspective, you get plenty of life with the stock battery. I have filmed 30-45 minutes of hd video and then taken quite a few pictures. The battery life isn't terrible by any means.

Overall, I've been quite impressed with the ZS3, it suits my needs just fine. If Panasonic were to suddenly improve the sensor for better low-light performance and beef up the battery life, you might be looking at a perfect camera.

Love this camera!

from Reston, VA

Comments about Panasonic LUMIX DMC-ZS3 / DMC-TZ7:

I bought the panasonic ZS3 based on some reviews I read at various web sites.  All I can say is wow, this is the best point and shoot camera I have owned (in a list of 3 canon Cameras and one Fuji).  This camera is very easy to use, takes the best pictures of any camera it's size and has a long lasting battery life.  I also like the fact that it takes cheap and easy to find SDHC memory cards.  The HD movie mode is excellent.  It is so good that I no longer use my Sony camcorder to take movies (that means no more carrying two cameras everywhere I go).  This poacket sized wonder is a point and shoot still or movie all in one that can go anywhere.  My use of this camera is mostly for family photos, vacations, etc plenty of indoor and outdoor, it takes great pictures with the flash too.  If you turn up the speed, you can take some nice low light pictures without flash as well, but they tend to be a little grainy.  The camera focuses fast for still shots and even let's you use the zoom while in movie mode.  The AVCHD format used for movie mode makes very efficient use of the memory card and is easy to manipulate in Sony Vegas software if you want to edit it on your PC.  After almost a year of use, I love this camera and have zero complaints.  I would buy another one no question.

Great optical zoom, great video with zoom - not as easy as Canon

from Surprise, AZ

Comments about Panasonic LUMIX DMC-ZS3 / DMC-TZ7:

OK, we've had this camera for about a year now. No mechanical/electronic issues whatsoever. Very happy with it from a build quality, fit and finish, etc.

Battery life seems to be really good with this camera. Which is important because you have to plug it or the battery in to charge the battery as it doesn't use "off the shelf" batteries.

I love the size of the camera. I bought a little carabiner clip carrying case for it, and it has a little lanyard. But the camera also will slip into your pocket conveniently as well. It's big enough that you can hold onto it and it doesn't feel "cramped".

I really bought this for two reasons, and it has not disappointed in either realm. First, is the 12x optical zoom with electronic image stabilization. If you manage evevn a reasonable amount of steadiness at 12x zoom, it does a very good job of stabilizing the image so it is blur free. At lower zoom values, the performance just gets better.

Secondly, HD video, and the ability to ZOOM while shooting video. This is amazing, and does an excellent job! The sound quality is even good. It does a pretty good job of focus tracking as well while zooming during video mode.

Things I don't care for, or maybe haven't figured out yet. There doesn't appear to be a manual focus feature. It also doesn't appear that you can do panaramic photos. Both of which I used to love to use on my old Canon. I don't think that the entire menu system with options for types of photo or situations is nearly as good.

A good buy though, and a quality piece of electronics. I'm glad we bought this!

A great camera--the Panasonic ZS3

from Brighton, CO

Comments about Panasonic LUMIX DMC-ZS3 / DMC-TZ7:

A few years ago, we bought a Kodak with a 10x optical zoom. This thing was massive. It was a like a mini SLR but without the quality. But I loved that zoom.

I started not taking it around with me and my son because I hated wearing it around my neck and feeling like a tourist. So when Christmas 2009 got close, I decided I wanted a new camera.

My criteria: small enough to fit in a pocket (doesn't have to stay there, but more portable) and an amazing zoom, at least 10X or more. I found a review online for compact ultrazooms, and this one ranked on top, along with the ZS1. I ultimately decided on the ZS3 because the pictures in the review were a bit crisper.

This is a great camera. I love that if you drop the megapixels, you can up the zoom. I got some great pictures of a rocket launched from Kennedy Space Station by using 3MP and 21X zoom. The pictures looked better than what was in the paper the next day. I like how it captures colors, all the different modes that are easy to switch between (with a little one, I am almost always in sport mode because he moved so quick), and the quality is just what I was looking for.