Other Waffle Makers:
Oster
Rca_2013_normal

The Oster Waffle Maker works well, but smells

We received this waffle maker as a gift for Christmas. I had asked for a waffle maker, not anticipating such a fancy one. I like it a lot in that it is easy to use and fairly easy to clean. But two things make it a bit difficult - it is large and it smells. First the size - this makes it hard to store. The handle sticks out and there is a tray under so you can't really even store it on it's side or anything like that. You definitely can't "squeeze" it in somewhere. Also the waffles are so big that when you make a recipe it does not make as much as the recipe calls for. So if a recipe says it makes four waffles, it will really only make two. Then the smell - in the instruction booklet it says that it will smell the first time and it suggests you discard the first waffle you make. But I've made MANY waffles now and it still smells. It has a bit of a plastic smell that grosses me out and makes me a little nervous about what I'm eating (chemicals?)

Does its job!

I have been wanted a waffle maker for sometime now.  When it went on sale in my local department store, I decided to get it and try it out.  I was taken back my this chemical smell that was coming from it when I started it for the first time.  i thought it was weird but went ahead and decided to make waffles anyway.  They turned out quit well----they were crisp and golden brown.  It took very little time to make the waffles and I had to use very little oil as well--just a little spray oil to coat the plates.  As far as the chemical smell, I have not had a problem with this occurring after the first time.  A complaint I do have with this is I can not leave it out the whole time on the counter top, as it takes up way too much room.  But overall, this cooks evenly and gives you homemade waffles when you want them. The thing with small appliances is they have a short life, let's just hope this lasts a while!

This works fine!

from Tucson, AZ

About Me Avid Cook

Pros

• Adjustable
  • Non-Stick

Cons

• Difficult to Store

• Brunch

Comments about Oster Flip Belgian Waffle Maker:

I was looking for a waffle iron that would be small, but mighty. I like this Oster brand of waffle maker. It is working fine for me and my family. I have been using a homemade waffle recipe that calls for one egg--it makes really fluffy light pancakes and they cook up soft and not too crunchy in this waffle maker. I know there are some negative reviews out there but we have been satisfied with this product so far. Its a waffle maker, it makes waffles. It doesn't stick or burn for me. I find it easy to use and easy to tell when it is warm, done and good to go. I have two kids who eat waffles, so we make waffles on Sunday mornings. My older daughter is learning to cook and she is able to use this waffle iron with me just supervising.

I recommend this waffle maker for ease of use, simple cleaning. It is a little awkward to store, just the shape of it so that could be a downside for some people.

Quit working after 4 waffles

from Phoenix, AZ

About Me Avid Cook

Pros

• Non-Stick

Cons

• Broke After 4 Waffles
  • Difficult to Clean

Comments about Oster Flip Belgian Waffle Maker:

i got it brand new for my birthday and was able to make 4 waffles out of it before it quit working

Tastes great but frozen is easier!

from Eastlake, OH

Comments about Oster Flip Belgian Waffle Maker:

My family loves fresh waffles in the morning and as a desert. We had seen this waffle maker at our hotel this summer as part of the continental breakfast. There, it was quite easy to use as they had the batter premeasured. Also, I wasn't worried if the batter poured over as there were several women there ready to clean it up. I had a gift certificate to a local home goods store and so I purchased this one, seeing that it had such rave reviews here on Viewpoints. I do agree that the taste of the waffles from a waffle maker are far superior to that of frozen waffles. However, this can be very messy. Often the light will turn off but when you open it you have a gooey half cooked waffle on your hands. When they do come off they are delicious.

The main issue I have with this waffle maker is the light going off prematurely and the waffle mix is still soupy. Usually you can turn it back on and finish cooking the waffle but that always leads to spillage. You also have to be on top of spraying the waffle maker after each waffle. This is the only way to ensure that the waffles will slide off the maker.

Settings/Features
    This isn't a complicated appliance. The light and the release handle make it pretty simple to operate.

If you spray the waffle machine enough it can be easy to clean. However this can be difficult to clean off the residue waffle if you do not coat the plates. I had to soak it several times in order to get the waffle off.

Once you learn the right amount of batter to put on the plates it can be very easy. What I still struggle with a little bit is the cooking time. Sometimes the light will go off but when you open the pans the waffle is still gooey. It's a little trial and error.

Other than the coating on the pans not being as slippery as they once were, the waffle maker is still working pretty well.

Makes Great Waffles!

from MI

Comments about Oster Flip Belgian Waffle Maker:

My husband and I registered for this waffle maker for our wedding shower, and I'm really glad we did.

We have been married 6.5 years and this baby is still going strong. We don't use it every day - perhaps once a month, but I am very pleased with how well it is holding up for the price.

It is very easy to use and cook with, the cleaning part is probably the only real downfall. We have learned the trick though to put wet paper towels over the hot iron part, let it set for a few minutes, and then any mess easily wipes away.

There is a little knob on top that allows you to control the level of "doneness" - and a light that shows if the iron is hot enough or not ready.

The trick to this is probably not to overfill it, and to only open it when you're sure that you have cooked your waffle long enough.

Overall, I am very happy with this waffle maker and can see it lasting for many years to come. It's pleasing to look at, and I don't mind keeping it out in my kitchen, easy to use and not HORRIBLE to clean. Great product for the price!

Great overall Waffle Maker

Comments about Oster Flip Belgian Waffle Maker:

We purchased this waffle maker originally because it looked good and the price was reasonable. It has done a great job at making waffles. I love the pan underneath the maker that catches any overflow batter. It is removable and super easy to clean. The dial allows you to customize how light or dark you want your waffle. My only complaint with this maker and why it doesn't receive a 10 rating from me is that it doesn't have a beeper when the waffle is finished. My last maker had one and it was nice so I could leave the room or start eating dinner without worrying about burning a waffle. Other than that, the non-stick surface works well and the quality is good. I also like how deep the waffles go so you really get a good thick waffle and not something super thin.

The maker works well and makes the waffles fairly quick. After two waffles I will spray some butter in it so the batter doesn't stick and if I do that the waffles come out of the pan super easy.

• Settings/Features:

Great deal, great waffles, hard to clean.

Comments about Oster Flip Belgian Waffle Maker:

This is a great little waffle maker. I make waffles almost every weekend and this device makes the process incredibly easy. It makes noises to tell you when to flip and when the waffle is fully cooked which makes it much more convenient to use when you are multi-tasking in the kitchen (e.g. making bacon and scrambled eggs at the same time). Likewise, the Oster waffle maker allows you to set the cook time to your preference. I like my waffles a bit crispier so I typically set the time a bit on the long side. My only gripe is that the stainless steel finish is hard to clean because it's hard to get into all the spaces with a cloth.

Quick and easy to use. Convenience is amazing.

Settings/Features
    You don't need any more features than this on a waffle maker.

This is my only gripe about the machine. The stainless steel gets dirty very easily!

Comments about Oster Flip Belgian Waffle Maker:

I love this waffle maker. My kids love waffles and this waffle maker makes it easy to make waffles for them that taste even better than the ones they like to get at restaurants. The recipe in the book that comes with the waffle maker is the best Belgian waffle recipe I have found anywhere. I made the chocolate waffles and the kids loved them!

This waffle maker works great every time I use it and it is very easy to use. Just plug it in, mix up your waffle mix, pour in the batter, close the lid, flip it over and wait for the light to turn on, flip it back over, open it up, remove the waffle, and repeat the process.

Settings/Features
    This waffle maker doesn't have a lot of settings or features. It is very simple which makes it very easy to use.

I have found this waffle maker a bit hard to clean. sometimes the waffles get stuck in the maker and makes it very hard to clean.

This waffle maker is very easy to use. It doesn't have a lot of settings which makes it very easy to use.

I have had this waffle maker for several years and it works great every time I use it. I haven't had any trouble with it.

• Settings/Features:

Great for cooking more than waffles!

Comments about Oster Flip Belgian Waffle Maker:

I was a little bit reluctant to purchase an inexpensive waffle maker. The waffle makers I've had in the past have been cheap and have not performed well. I thought I'd give this one a try because it's a flip waffle maker. I'm glad I saved myself some money because this waffle maker works really well! You have to spray it well before you pour on the batter, but that's true with any waffle maker. We love making waffles with it, but I'm also a big fan of putting tater tots on it to make a giant waffle fry. It's a great waffle maker for the price!

• Settings/Features:

This is a fun way to make waffles.

from Drakesboro, Ky

Comments about Oster Flip Belgian Waffle Maker:

Every summer my niece and nephews stay with me for two months. As a result I have 5 children to cook breakfast for and when we want waffles it takes time to make enough to feed all of them. Although I loved my current waffle maker I decided to buy a second one so that I could make twice the amount of waffles in the same amount of time. I decided to buy the Oster Flip Belgian Waffle Maker because my mother recommended it to me. I absolutely love this device! It is very easy to use and the kids get a kick every time I have to flip it making jokes about what would happen if the lid flew open. It has worked perfectly every time without messy batter splattering around when I turn it which was a concern for me. The kids love staying in the kitchen now to help me cook on it because they all want a turn flipping the waffles.

This appliance makes perfect golden brown waffles every single time.

Settings/Features
    I love the look of this appliance it fits in with the rest of my appliances and I love the flip feature on it.

It is just as easy to clean as my other waffle maker.

It is very easy to use this appliance.

This waffle maker has stood up to young hands which is a testament to how strong and durable this machine truly is!

Excellent Waffle Maker

from Lake Villa, IL

Comments about Oster Flip Belgian Waffle Maker:

This waffle maker is awesome. It is super easy to use, store, and I really like it. It folds up for easy storage (so I can put other things next to it without taking up more space).

Super easy and works well. The flipping is cool and makes great waffles.

Settings/Features
    You can control how well done you want your waffle which is nice because some people like soggier waffles than others, but other than that there is not too much to adjust, but hey I am not sure what else you would want to adjust. The flipping feature is actually really nice.

It is really easy to clean. Most of the major parts that get dirty are removable and easily cleaned.

Super easy to use. The instructions are really straight forward and you have great tasting waffles in just a few minutes. No hassle, no issues here.

Although it seemed a tad flimsy when I got it, it is actually pretty durable and seems like it will last quite a while.