Other Vacuums:

Oreck Classic Bagged Vacuum

Pros

Cons

Oreck Classic XL Vacuum - Grandfather of Vacuums

I have always seen an ORECK used in my family, so naturally here I am a proud owner of 2 oreck vacuums. Even though it has a 1-year warranty, regular servicing keeps this going easily for at least a minimum of 8-10 years. It is really light weight, yet powerful enough to do a thorough cleaning job of picking and cleaning of the messiest mess.

The long cable length gives it the flexibility to take it from room to room without unplugging it all the time. The bags are easy to change, suction is great, the design is compact so it can easily slip under couches/ sofas to clean without too much of an effort.

The additional tools that come with this vacuum are meant for cleaning upholstery, especially pet hair is a bonus in itself. It is also used by me to clean my car and does a pretty thorough job of it too.

A little expensive but worth the money. The service is great and the loaner program is a way of keeping your mind at peace that you will still have a clean house, while yours is being serviced.

Oreck XL Vacuum is not worth the time, trouble, and expense.

I go through vacuum cleaners like crazy. They rarely last me more than a couple years. So I thought I would try the Oreck. The TV infomercial led me to believe it was a very high quality, durable, vacuum cleaner that would last forever. It even came with a five-year warranty. So I felt the extra cost might be well worth it. My Oreck vacuum cleaner was delivered within a couple weeks along with a “free” electric hand-held vacuum cleaner and a lot of fine print I wish I had had an opportunity to read before purchasing it. The five-year warranty is only good if you take it in for a “free” cleaning/checkup every year. The first time I took it to the nearest Oreck dealer (which was twenty miles away!) I had to leave it (chalk up two forty-mile round trips) and pick it up the next day. It had not been running right and it smelled like it was burning. Even with a brand new bag it was not vacuuming anything up very well at all. When I picked it up, the guy who ran the store lambasted me for using the vacuum cleaner to clean up cat litter. That’s why I bought it in the first place! It was supposed to be great for cat litter and cat hair. The informercial showed how well it picked up everything including sand! This guy yelled at me in front of other customers! I was humiliated! The distance, the humiliation, and having to make two trips made me decide never to do that again so my warranty would end up being void. It also caused me to get rid of the thing and vow never to buy anything from an infomercial again! If I could, I’d give it a NEGATIVE five stars!

I finally threw it out.

Works great.

from Pittsburgh, PA

About Me Occasional User

Pros

• Easy to Use
  • Efficient
  • Lightweight
  • Long Power Cord

Cons

• Carpet

Comments about Oreck Classic Bagged Vacuum:

I decided on an oreck vacuum in large part because I wanted a vacuum with a bag. I love that feature and I love that it is an option for me. The machine is very light weight and does the job well. I can see how it does not reach every tiny spot however I do not expect that of a vacuum. I love my oreck and will very well get another in the furture.

• Primary use:
    • Personal

Not a fan anymore of oreck

from Nesconset,ny

Comments about Oreck Classic Bagged Vacuum:

Since I was little, I remember always having the oreck classic vacuum. It seemed like we had it forever. When I got older and got my own place, this was one of the first vacuums I bought because it was the one I was always used to. However, I wish I would of looked at more modern vacuums at the time because with this one I had nothing but problems for weeks and then eventually got rid of it. Yes it is inexpensive, but it seemed like even vacuuming only a few times areas that are not large, I would see dust starting to shoot out of the bag. Then it would start spitting the dirt back out if you didn't adjust everything perfectly. Once I go through the process of dumping the bag which is a nightmare because it flies out everywhere, most of the time the belt would fall off. I eventually got a way better vacuum with no more bags or aggravation. Oreck was okay back in the day, but it's not for me now. I wouldn't recommend buying.

Great for our House

Comments about Oreck Classic Bagged Vacuum:

My in-laws bought this vacuum cleaner for us a few years ago. This is the nicest vacuum cleaner we have ever owned, and we like it. It is lightweight and easy to use. The cleaners we had before were heavy and hard to navigate. This works on all areas of our house, although it works best on carpet. My sister-in-law went to the store and had it adjusted for her hard wood floors. The only problem is that it is hard to get into small spaces. We use a separate vacuum for corners and hard to reach areas. It would be nice if that were attached, but we have no complaints besides that. We had a problem last year with the vacuum cleaner and we took it to our local Oreck store. They were super helpful and fixed the problem easily. The vacuum cleaner has held up nicely, even with the amount of pet hair we have to clean up each week. We would recommend this vacuum cleaner.

Ease of Maintenance
    It is great to be able to take it in to the local Oreck store when we have problems.

• Versatility:

If you need a bag vac, this is the one

from Westchester, IL

Comments about Oreck Classic Bagged Vacuum:

The Oreck XL Classic Bagged Vacuum is the only traditional vacuum I use on my floors. I prefer bag less vacuums, but the Oreck is the exception to the rule. The only thing I needed to assemble on this vacuum is the bag. I can usually get away with changing the bag once a month and 5 weeks max. The best thing about this vacuum is that it only weighs about 9 pounds. I can easily move this vacuum over any surface and still get maximum suction out of it. I find myself sometimes wondering if it's even cleaning because it glides across carpet like it's wet hardwood. The cord has decent length, but the prongs on the cable fall out of the wall very easily. I have to bend them slightly outward for them to stay in the outlet. The only down side to this vacuum is that I find myself having a hard time cleaning stairs. I tried vacuuming the stairs, but I just can't get into the deep creases of each step. I definitely would recommend the Oreck XL Classic Bagged Vacuum.

Good vacuum cleaner

Comments about Oreck Classic Bagged Vacuum:

Although not the most powerful vacuum cleaner, this Oreck is pretty good. My in-laws left it to us when we moved into their house and so far I am satisfied with it.

Maneuverability
    It doesn't really have a great range of motion. It doesn't glide really well but does get low enough to get under couches and cribs.

Ease of Maintenance
    Very easy to clean. Just remove and trash the bag!

Suction Performance
    Not to satisfied with the sucking performance. I have a one year old who tends to get things embedded in the carpet. This vacuum won't even attempt to pull at it. It will get up big pieces of the floor though.

Versatility
    Not really versatile. It Does not have a hose attached to get in cracks and corners so basically it's just good for the middle of the floor.

Pretty simple design. Looks a tadbit old fashion but who cares it's a vacuum cleaner. It's only pulled out for a few minutes a few times a week.

For the time I have used it, it is holding up pretty well. No parts have needed replacing. It hasn't jammed or anything.

• Versatility:

A vacuum of poor quality.

Comments about Oreck Classic Bagged Vacuum:

I was very disappointed with this vacuum. I first received this vacuum as a gift from my mother. She got it on sale for me. When I first took it out of the box I noticed how large it was. I then tried to lift it and felt it's heavy weight. After all the plastic was off of it and the bag was installed, I decided to try it out. When I turned it on it made a lot of noise but, it really did work. The vacuum got up all the little pieces off my floor. I continued to use it and not even a month later I noticed that my vacuum had stopped working. It would turn on, but not pick anything up. I thought the bag was full, but when I tried to change I saw that the bag wasn't full. I took the vacuum apart to see that there was a clog in it's hose. I removed it and it worked fine again. Then another month went by and the same thing happened. There was a clog in the hose. I overall think that the vacuum works fine but does clog easily and often.

• Versatility:

Really a Very Nice Vaccum Spectacular Suction!

Comments about Oreck Classic Bagged Vacuum:

Lovely piece of engineering! The suction goes a long way in riddign the house of pet dander. Long cord is the best feature as the house is limited to only a couple of outlets. Easy bag changing capabilities. Durable and long lasting.

Maneuverability
    Nice and light and maneuvers well around all furniture, whether its kitchen table legs or the big bulky living room couch to the bedroom where the dressers and under the bed can be challenging.

Ease of Maintenance
    Takes a good cleaning very well, can use damp or soapy rag to clean the hard components and when the bag needs a changing it is a breeze. Have not run into any repair issues yet and this model has a lot of miles under its belt, so fingers crossed I didn't just jinx us! Kidding, it will be your pleasure to get one and maintain it for the long haul as you can't go wrong with this Oreck model.

Suction Performance
    Great suction and of course as with ANY model vaccum, if the dirt recepticle gets full and plugged you can and usually will burn out the motor. When I first got this I couldn't believe my eyes, we had just steam cleaned the carpets the week before and just the day before I borrowed my mothers walmart special vac, but the carpeting once vaccumed with the Oreck was fresher looking then when it was just steam cleaned! Good Stuff!

Versatility
    Pretty much striaght forward with this. Plug it in and vaccum any and all floor surfaces, would not recommend holding this particular model up to clean drapes or ceiling tiles, but floor surfaces sure do look nice when I'm done.

Definitely a keeper as far as design goes. Square, rectangle is easier to deal with than say the roomba. I also like that I have control over the area being cleaned and this is so easy to use and store. Minimal space needed and nice enough looking to stay out in a room if neccessary.

Bang. Bang. Bang. Into the furniture with the vaccum is usually what I used to hear when the kids would help clean. Nice to say that my Oreck has no blemishes to speak of and now I use furniture covers. Motor holds up real well under heavy duty long cleanings, all floors and stairs, yes I do my stairs too, and I have no complaints here either.

Lightweight, Yes, but Mediocre Performance

Comments about Oreck Classic Bagged Vacuum:

The original Oreck design was actually designed in the 1960s by Whirpool, and was quickly scrapped. David Oreck bought the rights to the patents, and with clever marketing has made a fortune off of it. Orecks are lightweight; about 9 pounds including the cord. But they simply don't clean well. The fan is tiny and cracks easily with the age, resulting in very weak suction. The fill tube is also tiny and clogs easily. The brush roll grooms nicely but does not agitate the carpet to remove grit. The motor is extremely loud. There are so many better lightweight uprights on the market.

Maneuverability
    Very easy to move and fits under just about anything. The soft bag and low profile really help out.

Ease of Maintenance
    Very easy to repair, which you'll have to do often. Belts hardly last, but thankfully can be replaced in minutes. The motor is accessible in less than 10 minutes.

Suction Performance
    Very weak suction and airflow. The brush roll grooms nicely and removes pet hair, but don't expect any deep cleaning.

Simply yet weak design. Clogs easily.

Orecks last quite awhile. You rarely see an Oreck lasting less than 20 years. Since the parts can be replaced so easily, you can keep one going for decades. The motor uses little electricity(4amps), and rarely overheats.

You will be buying a new belts every few months.

An Old Sturdy Vacuum

Comments about Oreck Classic Bagged Vacuum:

This vacuum is a really good one if you treat it right. My grandmother has had the same one for over 20 years and it still works as good as it did when I was younger. It has great suction power and cleans up really well. It has no problem tackling carpet either. The only thing is with old vacuums you really can't vacuum up like metal things (paper clips, staples, stuff like that. The only thing that could be an issue is the whole changing bags once one gets full, or if you forget to change a bag and then it busts on the inside, then you have extra to clean up. It's kinda heavy since it is an older vacuum so you may get a little tired pushing it around.

• Versatility:

Great Vacuum Cleaner. Can't say enough good about this product.

Comments about Oreck Classic Bagged Vacuum:

I got this Oreck XL as a gift over three years ago. It works great. Very easy to use. Great product. The only vacuum I would have. I have had other upright vacuums in the past. Even the ones with good suction were heavy and hard to move around.

Maneuverability
    This vacuum is light weight easy to move around and store in closet. It is so easy and light weight sometimes I vacuum the back of my SUV. It does a great job especially on dark carpet where every little spec shows.

Ease of Maintenance
    So what if it's not bag less. Very easy to change the bag. Other than that I have not had to do any maintenance on it.

Suction Performance
    The Oreck XL has very good suction on carpet and hard wood floors. I have two small dogs and when they go outside they manage to bring in the house pieces of grass and weeds. No problem with my Oreck sucks it right up.

Versatility
    This vacuum is so versatile to me. I use it to vacuum most everything.

I am going on my fourth year with my Oreck XL. Seems very durable to me. I have no complaints.