Other Facial Cleansers & Scrubs:
Noxzema

Pros

Cons

Makes me all tingly...outside

I've used Noxema face cleanser since I was a teenager and started caring more about my face.  It has always worked wonders for me.  I was never a child with bad break outs.  I'd get a small zit here and there but I just washed with Noxema daily and my face was clear in a couple of days.

When I got into the St. Ives craze I bought some of the facial cleanser but it didn't work at all for my skin.  I broke out worse than I ever had before, my face itched and it became flaky.  I quickly reverted back to Noxema.  I quickly realized that while Noxema always kept my face clear in the past it was going to take more than a few days to fix this damage.  After a few weeks it finally is working again.  My face is still sensitive a little but I imagine that will disappear.

I've found that while Noxema is great for someone who doesn't break out terribly, it's not an acne treatment and if you already have acne should use a different product to clear up the acne.  But once your face is clear, Noxema really helps keep it that way by deep cleaning, and washing away oil.  It never dries out my skin, and while it may not smell the best, it still leaves my face feeling soft and fresh.  It works great on dirt, oil and makeup.  I also like the way Noxema feels when I apply it, which is tingly.  It is tingly from the camphor, menthol and eucalyptus.  This is also a great thing to use when you have overheated skin.  Oh so cool!

Noxzema Original soothes a sunburn and more!

**Noxzema Original, oh who you remind me of my teenage years.  When I was young and foolish and skipped the liberal application of SPF daily, I frequently was sunburned (especially in the summer when it was warm and tank tops and shorts were my official wardrobe!) After I would drag my crispy hide home, I would slather on the **Noxzema Original and sit in front of the fan.  I am not sure if it's the blend of essential oils in **Noxzema Original that soothes my skin, or the creamy texture, or the magic fairies that mix **Noxzema Original** in the oh so familiar dark blue bottles, but it really pulls the sting and redness from a sunburn.******

******It removes makeup in a snap, and doesn't leave your skin tight or dry the way bar soap or harsh cleansers do (and really- you shouldn't wash your face with bar soap anyway- ICK!!)******

************

******Now **Noxzema Original comes in a pump top container, which is nice, since it keeps the bottle free of the ick that could possibly live on my (or DH's) fingers or whatever we scoop  the **Noxzema Original out of the container with.  And the best part is, there are coupons available for **Noxzema Original almost all the time.************

************************

************Saving money and looking good with **Noxzema Original- Score!!**************

After all these years, still love it...

from Sevierville, TN

Comments about Noxzema Original Deep Cleansing Cream:

I have been using this since I was a teenager. Back then I had oily skin and had the annoyance of pimples popping up every month, and this really worked wonders. Still use it today, though only sometimes because my skin has changed and it's not so oily anymore. If I was to use this every day, then I would have issues with dry skin. But my BF uses it, so it's always in the house and every now again, I find myself using it. I love the scent of it, and I love the way it tingles and how clean my skin feels after. Works awesome as a mask as well!

Interesting Cleanser

Comments about Noxzema Original Deep Cleansing Cream:

Noxzema is a popular cleanser for teenagers and it does an alright job at cleaning your skin. The cream comes in a tub and has a thick pasty consistency. Once applied to the skin it will not become bubbly and foam on your face but look more like a lotion once it is applied. Because there isn't a pump in the container wet hands will cause the paste to become watery and not as effective. I also don't like that the bacteria from your hands stays in the cleanser. The smell is interesting and difficult to describe but it does have a fresh smell. It is very strong and is something you can smell for several hours after washing your face. The cleanser doesn't leave your face dry but moisturized so you don't normally need to add an extra moisturizer at night. It does an alright job at removing light makeup but eye makeup still needs to be removed with special eye makeup remover. I find that it doesn't have the drying out strength for lots of acne but is best for normal skin.

tried and true !

from MA

Comments about Noxzema Original Deep Cleansing Cream:

I have been using Noxema original deep cleanser as one of a handful of cleansers for many years now . It has been around at least since I was a teenager and probably before and that is over 40 years so it has a proven track record .

Noxema has a creamy consistency and a unique odor , kind of like a camphor smell , almost medicinal which may be a turnoff for some but to me it is pleasant . It is white and thick and goes on smooth - avoid the eye area because it can burn if you get it in your eyes .

It cleans very well - if you wash your face with another cleaner and then use Noxema and tissue off , you may well discover that Noxema found some more trapped oil and dirt on your face . It deep cleans and after tissuing off or using a wet face cloth , you will be pleasantly surprised that it doubles as a moisturizer because your face will feel smooth and softer than before washing with it .

It is not expensive , has a pretty cobalt blue container and is a BIG container so it lasts a long time . Very good deal and works quite effectively.

• Ease of Application:

Does an okay cleaning job.

Comments about Noxzema Original Deep Cleansing Cream:

This original Noxzema cleansing cream does just an okay job at cleaning my face. I feel like, having used this product many years ago, it has somehow lost its potency and no long feels as powerfully tingly on my face as it used to. Maybe they just switched the formula a bit or something but I do remember it being much more invigorating on my skin than it is now. The consistency of it is rally nice, rich and creamy though. You also cannot beats its nice, minty fresh scent. Do not expect to have this remove your eye makeup well though, it does not do a good job of that and can really sting your eyes if you get it anywhere near that delicate area. Overall it is a nice cleanser to have around for a quick pick me up to leave my skin feeling tight and refreshed, but I honestly do not see any long term results with this as far as balancing out my oily skin problems or anything like that.

Perfect For Sunburned Skin

from Sonora, CA

Comments about Noxzema Original Deep Cleansing Cream:

The smell of Noxzema Original Deep Cleansing Cream will always remind me of summertime and spending my days in the warm sun at the beach or the pool. That's because when I was growing up, my mom would use Noxzema Original Deep Cleansing Cream to treat sunburns. Now that I'm all grown up, I use it on myself and my own kids too (when the sunblock I obsessively lather on all of us fails) and it still works beautifully. The cooling sensation is immediate and gives an instant sensation of relief. I just lather it on thick and let our hot red skin absorb it. Consequently, my kuds and my skin has never peeled or blistered after burning and I credit that fact entirely to using Noxzema Original Deep Cleansing Cream religiously on sunburns. Over the years I've recommended it to friends and it's use for that purpose has become pretty widespread. I'm sure it would make a wonderful cleanser too, since it's obviously gentle enough for raw burned skin, but I haven't used it for that purpose yet.

Comments about Noxzema Original Deep Cleansing Cream:

When my husband first introduced me to Noxzema Original Deep Cleansing Cream, he sold the idea to me on the basis that the product was effective, powerful and able to handle all sorts of troubled skin. Sorry dear husband, I have to disagree, at least on some level.

I definitely like the power of the product. It certainly does strip your skin of dirt, grime and goodness knows what else, and that's the part that bothers me. I feel like it also strips my skin of all the good protecting oils which keep my skin from drying out. Now if I suffered from acne, this deep cleansing cream would be perfect. It feels like it really does clean deep and you can't help but feel like the product has cleared your sinuses into the bargain! It has quite a strong odor, menthol like and is relatively gritty to the touch. As it is quite thick, I found it difficult to rinse off quickly. I wouldn't recommend this cream to anyone with sensitive skin. That would be a rash waiting to happen.

• Ease of Application:

My preferred facial skin cleaner, works great and lasts

Profile Image

from Crofton, MD

Comments about Noxzema Original Deep Cleansing Cream:

I love the fact that with the strength of this cleaner you can use just a little bit and it packs a big cleaning punch! I have tried many products and settle on this, only have to buy it once and it lasts for months!

Works great on my pours, especially in the area around my nose where I get the most dirt buildup. At times if I do not use good moisturizing cream, my forehead dries out from use of the Noxzema product, make sure to do a complete nightly regiment.

Ease of Application
Really easy to apply and use, use with cotton swabs or just straight onto your skin, very easy to apply. I typically just use my finger (after washing) to apply directly on the areas around my nose and my cheeks, then I scrub with a wet cloth.

Very strong scent, not the kind of scent that you would want to linger and let other people smell, best to use it at night as part of a nightly routine prior to bedtime. If you prefer to use in the morning, make sure to wash off completely or use a strong aftershave.

• Ease of Application:

Nothing Beats the Noxzema Tingle, But is it Good For Skin?

from Chicagoland, IL

Comments about Noxzema Original Deep Cleansing Cream:

Original Noxzema is the tried-and-true cream cleanser that has an invigorating eucalyptus and menthol scent. Even though it's a cream, Noxzema gives a great cleansing lather that doesn't feel greasy or heavy. Quite the contrary, the formula provides a crisp clean feeling to just-washed skin that isn't dulled down with residue. My skin has always felt so fresh and clean afterward--never stripped--and without the tightness that similar cleansers can cause.

My concern with Noxzema (and what ultimately led me to discontinue its use) are that some of the ingredients can be problematic for skin. First, there are ingredients like sodium hydroxide and calcium hydroxide which are the same ingredients found in hair relaxers and perms. In addition, although menthol, camphor, and eucalyptus help create that invigorating feeling, I've learned that they are known irritants that may do damage to underlying skin layers over time. Whether that's completely true or not is debatable, but I didn't want to take any chances with my skin. Although Noxzema was a pleasure to use, at this point I've stopped using it altogether.

Thanks Grandma!!

from Harvard Il

Comments about Noxzema Original Deep Cleansing Cream:

I got hook on using Noxzema cleansing cream from watching my Grandma's facial cleansing routine. Her skin was always so beautiful and fresh. I ,of course, wanted to be just like that. I have used Noxzema since I was in high school. I love it now just like I loved in then. It always gives me a good sense of clean. I love leaving it on my face for a few minutes to let the eucalyptus do it's thing. It just feels so refreshing, opening the pores and relaxing the senses and muscles in my face. The eucalyptus scent relaxes me and soothes the senses. It's creamy and easy to use. Not only do I use it on my face as a daily cleanser but I have also used in on any area of my body that had sunburn. The eucalyptus is so good at calming the burn. I just love this stuff. It's a daily reminder of my grandma, which is an added bonus on my part. Thank you grandma for starting me on a good cleansing regimen.

• Ease of Application:

I used this when I was young, and now recommend it to my teen

Comments about Noxzema Original Deep Cleansing Cream:

This was a go to product for me and my roommates when I was in college. It has that clean tingly feeling when you are done. I would use it before bed and it not only cleaned my face but helped me sleep better because of the eucalyptus scent. It leaves you face feeling soft and silky.

I always felt like this product worked for me. I didn't have acne problems, but some of my friends did and they always swore by it. I loved the way it made my skin feel, and it really did keep my pores open and kept the pimples away.

Ease of Application
I will say the cream in the jar is not as easy to put on as a pump style. Noxzema is so thick that it would hard to pump out. It is a little messy in my opinion, but not terrible. You also have to be careful not to get it too close to your eyes. The tingly sensation you feel on your skin can sometimes cause your eyes to water if you get it to close, so that is another thing that makes application a little difficult.

I like the scent. It's fresh and clean. Also relaxing.