Other Facial Cleansers & Scrubs:
Facial Cleansers for Sensitive Skin, Facial Cleansers for Normal Skin
Cetaphil
Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser

Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser

Pros

• Gentle (5)
  • Leaves clean feel (5)
  • Moisturizing (5)
  • Balances skin (3)

• All skin types (3)
  • Sensitive skin (3)
    • Reviewer Profile:
    • Budget shopper (4)

Makes my Skin Look and Feel Fantastic

I have been using **Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser** for nearly a year and I'm amazed at how well it works on my skin.

**About Cetaphil** Cetaphil Gentle Skin...Read complete review

**About Cetaphil** Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser is a dermatologist-recommended formulation that is designed for daily use and is non-drying to the skin. It is a fragrance-free, non-comedogenic cleanser sold by Galderma. The back of the packaging directs you to use the cleanser either with or without water. With water, you simply apply the cleanser to your skin, rub gently and then rinse.  The "without water" instructions direct you to apply a liberal amount of the cleanser to your skin and to rub gently as well into a light lather. The excess should be removed with a soft cloth, instead of being rinsed off. **Using Cetaphil/How Well It Works**I  use Cetaphil twice each day. The cleanser is very thin and opaque, bordering on runny. I tend to use just over a quarter-sized amount of it. I really like the "without water" directions, because more than anything I hate splashing water on my face. The cleanser lathers up just lightly enough to be visible on my face, and I massage it on my skin for up to a minute before using a moist wipe to remove the product. It's not messy and it's a very convenient and quick skincare routine. I've never been much of a "skincare regimen" following kind of woman, but after a few short weeks using Cetaphil, I was hooked. My skin was noticeably softer, my pores were clean and I didn't suffer nearly as many breakouts or itchy spots as I used to. In fact, my husband loved the results on me so much that *he* has started using the Cetaphil as well! **A Variation** Another variation that my dermatologist mentioned to me, when I asked if there were any kind of exfoliators that I could use, is to add just a little bit of cane sugar to Cetaphil before applying it on my to my skin to create a "sugar scrub". Once every three or four weeks I like to exfoliate my skin, and I have found that using this method I can vary the amount of sugar to either get a very light exfoliation in sensitive areas, or use more sugar to really scrub the rough wintered skin on my arms and elbows. When I add in the sugar, the Cetaphil cleanser foams up much more than usual. When using a sugar scrub, I do end up rinsing the cleanser off with water to get all of it off, and I'm left with bright, shiny skin that feels even more clean than usual, but isn't tight or dried out. ** Cat's Bottom Line** Since I started using Cetaphil, my skin has been incredibly soft and it looks better than it has in years. I highly recommend Cetaphil to anyone looking for a gentle skin cleanser for sensitive skin. And combined with sugar, it's a great exfoliating alternative to the expensive scrubs in beauty stores.

Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser needs reformulation.

I have sensitive skin and used to use this Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser back when I put too much weight on dermatologist product recommendations. If a dermatologist recommended Cetaphil, then I thought that meant that not only did this cleanser work but it was safe as it had been studied and evaluated by a medical professional(s).

Today I know better and treat the dermatologist recommendations like the paid endorsements that they are. Needless to say, I no longer use Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser and do not recommend it.

This product contains a good amount (listed high up in the ingredient list) of the refined crude oil derivative (yes, just like gasoline) propylene glycol that is toxic but considered safe in small quantities, the problem, of course is that many other manufacturers also use it to formulate their products and consumers do not know how much is too much. Also, with cheap natural humectants like vegetable glycerin available that protect and nourish the skin I don't see why Cetaphil chooses to use propylene glycol at all.

Sodium Lauryl sulfate is another problematic ingredient, this harsh surfacant is a known irritant that strips skin of natural oils and can be very drying to skin and hair. Gentler alternatives that clean without stripping like coco betaine derived from coconuts etc are widely available so why use SLS at all?

Cetaphil, please reformulate.

Works great for sensitive skin

from South Carolina

About Me Budget Buyer

Pros

• Gentle
  • Leaves Clean Feel
  • Moisturizing

Comments about Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser:

Works great for my son with sensitive skin/Eczema.

Daily routine product

from Chicago, Il

About Me Brand Buyer

Pros

• Gentle
    • Improves Skin Texture
    • Leaves Clean Feel
    • Moisturizing

• Acne-Prone Skin
      • Daily Use

Comments about Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser:

I use this cleanser daily on my face. Just one pump is all it takes to have my face feeling soft, clean and moisturized. The pump makes it easy to use and mess free. I really love this product because it makes my morning routine much faster and prepares my skin for the day.

This stuff is the best!

from Indiana

About Me Budget Buyer

Pros

• Balances Skin
      • Gentle
      • Leaves Clean Feel
      • Moisturizing

• Acne-Prone Skin
        • Daily Use

Comments about Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser:

I have tried so many creams, astringents, cleansers, and oils for acne. This is the only thing that has ever worked to keep my skin 100% clear. It is quick and doesn't take a lot of time. I highly recommend this!

Love this

from Vallejo,ca

About Me Brand Buyer

Pros

• Balances Skin
        • Gentle
        • Improves Skin Texture
        • Leaves Clean Feel
        • Moisturizing
        • Not Greasy

• Combination Skin

Comments about Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser:

Love how this brand makes my skin looks fresh smooth and gentle esp. with some skin problem since my son is prone to eczema we use this and it never fail us

Great for all skin types

from texas

About Me Budget Buyer

Pros

• Balances Skin
          • Gentle
          • Leaves Clean Feel
          • Moisturizing
          • Not Greasy

Comments about Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser:

This stuff is Great for all skin types. My family has dry itchy skin and we use this for all of our needs. The fragrance free is what I like the most. It cleanses well without over drying or leaving the skin feeling worse than before.

Great for my acne

from CT, USA

About Me Budget Buyer

Pros

• Moisturizes Well
            • Softens Skin

• Dry/Chapped Skin
              • Winter Dryness

Comments about Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser:

In the dry winter and sometimes after using an acne treatment my skin needs extra moisture. Many non-pricey face cleansers strip my skin a bit and make it feel tight and dry, which only aggravates my acne. Cetaphil skin cleanser doesn't do that. It gently cleanses my face and leaves it feeling soft and fresh.

Very gentle on my skin!

from Davie, FL

Comments about Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser:

I had extremely severe acne as a teenager, and Cetaphil Gentle Skin cleanser was one of the very few cleansers that actually worked for me. After using Cetaphil for a couple of weeks, I started to notice a difference in my skin. My irritated skin was slowly starting to calm down, and my acne was not as noticeable or severe at all. I used this product on my face for several months until it suddenly stopped working for me. I would assume that Cetaphil had changed their formula or ingredients they used. I did enjoy it while it worked though. I would probably recommend this to someone to try out if they are experiencing issues with acne.

It was very effective for months until it stopped working for me.

Ease of Application
              Cetaphil is very simple to use. You just wet your face with warm water, scrub the product on, and rinse.

Cetaphil does not really have any scent to it at all. I liked this aspect of it.

not gentle for me

from MA

Comments about Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser:

I have bought this Cetaphil gentle facial cleanser before and was SO disappointed . It smelled very medicinal and was very irritating to my skin which is not particularly sensitive to other products . it actually left my face red and sore and tender to the touch. It felt like I had a sunburn after using this product !

I would say to avoid this product if you have sensitive skin as it was very harsh and detergent like - I am not sure which ingredient caused this reaction but I would certainly never recommend it or buy it again . Sadly , I wasted my money because it ended up in the trash can and it was fairly expensive .
              It'd odd because it claims to be fragrance free , PH balanced and recommended by dermatologists but my experience was far from favorable . I have had similar issues with other skin care line products that say they are PH balanced so not sure what the problem is but it may not work for you

What the name says...gentle

from Southern Cal

Comments about Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser:

Unlike even the most gentle bars of soap like Dove, this really, truly leaves your skin soft and not tight after using it. I'm not entirely sure how clean my skin is after I use it, though. I'm not suggesting it's not clean, but this cleanser is so gentle that I wonder if it's cleaning all that good. I guess you sort of get used to that tight-after-soap feel and sort of think that something this gentle can't really be cleaning. So to trick myself into being sure, my skin is clean, is I use it as the cleanser with my skin buffer. That way it gets scrubbed in really good and I still get that soft skin after. But, during the summer, this cleanser is great, because it's light.

As mentioned above, not sure how clean my skin is after. What it does do very well, is leave it soft and refreshed.

Ease of Application
              Easy to use since you don't have to lather up anything. Just pump and use.

It has virtually no scent, which is great in my opinion. If it had a scent then it'd have extra stuff in there that I don't need to clean my skin. I don't need my face perfumed.

Every Expectant Mom Should Pack Some In Her Hospital Bag

from Sonora, CA

Comments about Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser:

I'll try my best not to get graphic, but I highly recommend that every expectant mother add a bottle of Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser to their hospital bag. When my first child was born, I had to get an episiotomy and the "gentle" bar soap provided by the hospital stung and burned so badly I literally cried. Fast forward to my next delivery (and the one after that) and Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser was the first thing I packed in my hospital bag. It never caused me any pain at all, which was an incredibly welcome occurance with all the other pains and general chaos that usually consumes the first few days after bringing a new baby into the world. Whenever I'm asked what should be packed in a childbirth hospital bag, Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser is the first thing that comes to mind. I also always give my expectant friends a bottle at their baby showers, in a cute little hospital bag. It's an incredibly welcome relief for a new mom in those first painful days.