Other Facial Cleansers & Scrubs:

Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser

Pros

Cons

Makes my Skin Look and Feel Fantastic

I have been using **Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser** for nearly a year and I'm amazed at how well it works on my skin.

**About Cetaphil** Cetaphil Gentle Skin...Read complete review

**About Cetaphil** Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser is a dermatologist-recommended formulation that is designed for daily use and is non-drying to the skin. It is a fragrance-free, non-comedogenic cleanser sold by Galderma. The back of the packaging directs you to use the cleanser either with or without water. With water, you simply apply the cleanser to your skin, rub gently and then rinse.  The "without water" instructions direct you to apply a liberal amount of the cleanser to your skin and to rub gently as well into a light lather. The excess should be removed with a soft cloth, instead of being rinsed off. **Using Cetaphil/How Well It Works**I  use Cetaphil twice each day. The cleanser is very thin and opaque, bordering on runny. I tend to use just over a quarter-sized amount of it. I really like the "without water" directions, because more than anything I hate splashing water on my face. The cleanser lathers up just lightly enough to be visible on my face, and I massage it on my skin for up to a minute before using a moist wipe to remove the product. It's not messy and it's a very convenient and quick skincare routine. I've never been much of a "skincare regimen" following kind of woman, but after a few short weeks using Cetaphil, I was hooked. My skin was noticeably softer, my pores were clean and I didn't suffer nearly as many breakouts or itchy spots as I used to. In fact, my husband loved the results on me so much that *he* has started using the Cetaphil as well! **A Variation** Another variation that my dermatologist mentioned to me, when I asked if there were any kind of exfoliators that I could use, is to add just a little bit of cane sugar to Cetaphil before applying it on my to my skin to create a "sugar scrub". Once every three or four weeks I like to exfoliate my skin, and I have found that using this method I can vary the amount of sugar to either get a very light exfoliation in sensitive areas, or use more sugar to really scrub the rough wintered skin on my arms and elbows. When I add in the sugar, the Cetaphil cleanser foams up much more than usual. When using a sugar scrub, I do end up rinsing the cleanser off with water to get all of it off, and I'm left with bright, shiny skin that feels even more clean than usual, but isn't tight or dried out. ** Cat's Bottom Line** Since I started using Cetaphil, my skin has been incredibly soft and it looks better than it has in years. I highly recommend Cetaphil to anyone looking for a gentle skin cleanser for sensitive skin. And combined with sugar, it's a great exfoliating alternative to the expensive scrubs in beauty stores.

Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser needs reformulation.

I have sensitive skin and used to use this Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser back when I put too much weight on dermatologist product recommendations. If a dermatologist recommended Cetaphil, then I thought that meant that not only did this cleanser work but it was safe as it had been studied and evaluated by a medical professional(s).

Today I know better and treat the dermatologist recommendations like the paid endorsements that they are. Needless to say, I no longer use Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser and do not recommend it.

This product contains a good amount (listed high up in the ingredient list) of the refined crude oil derivative (yes, just like gasoline) propylene glycol that is toxic but considered safe in small quantities, the problem, of course is that many other manufacturers also use it to formulate their products and consumers do not know how much is too much. Also, with cheap natural humectants like vegetable glycerin available that protect and nourish the skin I don't see why Cetaphil chooses to use propylene glycol at all.

Sodium Lauryl sulfate is another problematic ingredient, this harsh surfacant is a known irritant that strips skin of natural oils and can be very drying to skin and hair. Gentler alternatives that clean without stripping like coco betaine derived from coconuts etc are widely available so why use SLS at all?

Cetaphil, please reformulate.

Very gentle on my skin!

from Davie, FL

Comments about Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser:

I had extremely severe acne as a teenager, and Cetaphil Gentle Skin cleanser was one of the very few cleansers that actually worked for me. After using Cetaphil for a couple of weeks, I started to notice a difference in my skin. My irritated skin was slowly starting to calm down, and my acne was not as noticeable or severe at all. I used this product on my face for several months until it suddenly stopped working for me. I would assume that Cetaphil had changed their formula or ingredients they used. I did enjoy it while it worked though. I would probably recommend this to someone to try out if they are experiencing issues with acne.

It was very effective for months until it stopped working for me.

Ease of Application
Cetaphil is very simple to use. You just wet your face with warm water, scrub the product on, and rinse.

Cetaphil does not really have any scent to it at all. I liked this aspect of it.

not gentle for me

from MA

Comments about Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser:

I have bought this Cetaphil gentle facial cleanser before and was SO disappointed . It smelled very medicinal and was very irritating to my skin which is not particularly sensitive to other products . it actually left my face red and sore and tender to the touch. It felt like I had a sunburn after using this product !

I would say to avoid this product if you have sensitive skin as it was very harsh and detergent like - I am not sure which ingredient caused this reaction but I would certainly never recommend it or buy it again . Sadly , I wasted my money because it ended up in the trash can and it was fairly expensive .
It'd odd because it claims to be fragrance free , PH balanced and recommended by dermatologists but my experience was far from favorable . I have had similar issues with other skin care line products that say they are PH balanced so not sure what the problem is but it may not work for you

What the name says...gentle

from Southern Cal

Comments about Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser:

Unlike even the most gentle bars of soap like Dove, this really, truly leaves your skin soft and not tight after using it. I'm not entirely sure how clean my skin is after I use it, though. I'm not suggesting it's not clean, but this cleanser is so gentle that I wonder if it's cleaning all that good. I guess you sort of get used to that tight-after-soap feel and sort of think that something this gentle can't really be cleaning. So to trick myself into being sure, my skin is clean, is I use it as the cleanser with my skin buffer. That way it gets scrubbed in really good and I still get that soft skin after. But, during the summer, this cleanser is great, because it's light.

As mentioned above, not sure how clean my skin is after. What it does do very well, is leave it soft and refreshed.

Ease of Application
Easy to use since you don't have to lather up anything. Just pump and use.

It has virtually no scent, which is great in my opinion. If it had a scent then it'd have extra stuff in there that I don't need to clean my skin. I don't need my face perfumed.

Every Expectant Mom Should Pack Some In Her Hospital Bag

from Sonora, CA

Comments about Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser:

I'll try my best not to get graphic, but I highly recommend that every expectant mother add a bottle of Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser to their hospital bag. When my first child was born, I had to get an episiotomy and the "gentle" bar soap provided by the hospital stung and burned so badly I literally cried. Fast forward to my next delivery (and the one after that) and Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser was the first thing I packed in my hospital bag. It never caused me any pain at all, which was an incredibly welcome occurance with all the other pains and general chaos that usually consumes the first few days after bringing a new baby into the world. Whenever I'm asked what should be packed in a childbirth hospital bag, Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser is the first thing that comes to mind. I also always give my expectant friends a bottle at their baby showers, in a cute little hospital bag. It's an incredibly welcome relief for a new mom in those first painful days.

Good for sensitive skin

from Cleveland, OH

Comments about Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser:

I use this product during the winter when my skin tends to get overly dry and crack. My skin is extra sensitive during the winter and my husband's skin is sensitive most of the year. This is a good cleanser for sensitive skin. It is very gentle and does not cause you to break out.

I think it is effective. My face does feel clean after I use it. The only thing is it does not lather up well like other cleansers I've used. I like to see suds.

Ease of Application
Very easy to use. You can either rub it on your face with your hands, a facial loofah, or wash cloth. It does not lather up very well like other cleansers so sometimes I feel like I have to use more. This might not be true but I feel like the more soap and suds, the cleaner something can get.

It does not smell good but it does not smell bad if that makes sense. It does not have a pleasant or perfumy smell, yet it does not smell like its medicated. I think that is why it is so good for sensitive skin because there are no perfumes or dyes.

Great skin cleanser!!

Comments about Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser:

I bought it for mu 7 month old who was getting eczema pretty badly. This product along with Cetaphil lotion cleared him right up! The only thing is it doesn't rather very well so it seems like I'm not even washing him. I usually use my hands so I know it's working. Also it doesn't have too strong of a scent.

• Ease of Application:

This product is good for more than just the face.

from West Virginia

Comments about Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser:

I love that this is marketed as a gentle skin cleanser because that's truly what it is. I don't just use this as a facial cleanser, I also use this for an all over body cleaner. The formula is very gentle and I can use this to soothe my acne on my chest and back that occasional pops up. This works especially well all over if I've been doing something laborious such as crawling around working on duct work or installing insulation. The cleanser works to keep acne at bay, remove dirt from my skin, and to soothe after a hard day of work. It's not just a facial cleanser but an overall body cleanser for me.

Overall this cleanser is gentle on my sensitive skin. It removes dirt, oil, and excess makeup from my skin. It also helps sooth my skin and protect it. I find this especially helpful after a day of hard work when more than my face may contain dirt and grime. The reason I give this a 7 is because of it's effectiveness on the face. I don't notice any help with blackheads and it does little to help acne. It does help keep the skin clean to prevent these things but it doesn't help if you have acne already.

Ease of Application
It's easy to use. Pump a few pumps into your hand and lather up with water. I love this all over because I can cleanse my entire body with it without worry of irritation or overdrying.

The scent of this just kind of smells like ordinary soap to me. It doesn't smell fancy and that's alright with me.

• Ease of Application:

Affordable cleanser great for sensitive skin

from Denton, TX

Comments about Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser:

I love the Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser for my sensitive skin. I tend to break out easily with cleansers that are too potent or have too many chemicals. The Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser is perfect though. It gives my skin a good, deep clean but does not strip it of the oils your skin still needs. It also has a nice, clean scent that is not too strong. I like that you only have to use a small amount to produce a great lather for your face so a little goes a long way making it even more affordable. I have never broken out from using this product.

The Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser works great to remove make-up, dirt and other impurities from your skin while still being gentle and not stripping your skin of needed oils.

Ease of Application
The Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser is very easy to use with the pump and only a small amount is needed for each wash.

The Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser smells clean and fresh. The scent is not overpowering or too strong.

• Ease of Application:

Cetaphil and I don't get along.

Comments about Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser:

Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser might make the face smooth and soft, cleaning all the grit and grime away, but it makes my face itchy and irritated. I don't know what it is about Cetaphil, but I have never been able to use this product without bad reactions to it. It is not a product I would recommend to anyone with sensitive skin and certain allergies to cleansing products.

On top of that, the product carries a certain scent, that in my opinion is not worth the pain and irritation, even if it were less than the reaction I have to Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser. I don't like the way it lingers on my skin even after the redness and swelling go down, and that is why I would not recommend it to anyone else.

Ease of Application
While Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser is a horrible product to use, and does not do much more than clean the dirt off a face, it is still rather easy to apply. In that all you have to do is pump some onto your hand or washcloth and then clean your face with it. Rinsing with warm water when you are done cleans Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser all away.

• Ease of Application:

Best facial cleanser I have ever used.

from Des Moines, IA

Comments about Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser:

This product is the best. it is very gentle on sensitive skin that is easily irritated. All makeup--foundation, eye shadow, eye liner and mascara is easily removed and my skin is left feeling clean and soft. Occasionally I stray and try other products, but for a decade or more, I always come back to Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleaner. It is the best!