Other Digital Cameras:

Nikon - Coolpix S550 Digital Camera

Pros

Cons

• Portability:

Great Camera with lots of fun features!

The Nikon Coolpix S550 Digital Camera is fantastic.

This **10 mega pixel** camera boasts a Nikkor **5x optical zoom** with 3x digital zoom. You get high quality photos and video. This model comes with a rechargeable **lithium ion battery**, giving you a very long battery life. The camera used **SD cards** for its memory and can accomodate an 8 gigabyte card, perhaps larger, but thats the biggest one i have. This gives you the ability to take thousands of photos or hours of video without stopping. The camera takes both still images and video at a high quality.

There are also **lots of fun features**. Beyond flash/no flash and close up mode, there is a 2 or 10 second delay timer as well as options to take photos with a *sepia filter* as well as black and white, cyanotype, and more. You can control things like ISO, white balance, and distortion control or allow the camera to do these automatically. There is a stardard shooting mode, *smile mode* takes the picture just when the subject smiles, high sensitivity, video and voice recording, and various *scene modes*. These scene modes allow you to choose portrait, landscape, sports, night, party, beach/snow, sunset, dusk/dawn, close up, museum, copy, fireworks, backlight and more. The camera will automatically optimize all settings for the best photo in whichever condition you choose. The **sports mode** even allows you to take sequential photos - one every few seconds - when you hold down the shutter button, making it easy to capture the perfect moment in your shot when things are moving fast.

There is also a handy **panorama assist** shooting mode that has no end, so your photo can literally go on forever. The only thing the panorama assist does not do is integrate the images together, this mustbe done by software on the computer (not included as far as I know). But for someones like me who edits/crops almost every picture before publishing it, this is no problem. [if you do not already have photo editing software i recommend using Picasa 3 by Google - picasa.google.com]

The camera does come with software, but this is solely for **uploading the photos** to your computer. It is very easy, just plug the camera into your USB port with the cord and the software will automatically open, once you have selected the destinaiton folder and other settings it will remember, and it is a *one click import* for all your images. The software has the option to select some or all photos, and can sort them for you. It also gives you a progress bar for each item that is being uploaded so you know how long it will take.

Overall this is a fantastic **point and shoot compact camera** that fits in your pocket or purse. It is also quite durable, as it has survived 3 summers at camp so far. Use it for fun with your friends, or for professional portraits. It can also take *pictures from a moving vehicle* (if the flash is on) and come our crystal clear - just remember to use the *included wrist strap* so you dont lose it. The camera is not water proof, so if you want to use it in a wet environment I suggest buying a water proof camera case. Besides that, I **absolutely love** this camera and hope to have it for a very long time. I would - and do - recommend it to all my friends and family!

dropped it a few times, the only issue i have is that the battery door doesnt stay shut anymore.

Could be better, but happy to have it in my arsenal.

My husband bought me a Nikon CoolPix S550 digital camera for Christmas two years ago.  It is still working wonderfully, and I've never had to replace any batteries, or battery chargers.  Very well made in terms of durability!  I love the rechargeable battery so that I don't have to make trips to the store each time I find out I've just lost precious moments in my childrens' history due to a dead battery.

On the downside, It's delayed in taking a picture by probably a fraction of a second... which - when you have very active children, or are taking pictures of sports, dogs, ect, is not the best thing in the world.  I often need to take up to fifteen pictures just to get one that works, because the moment had passed by the time the camera reacted to my pushing the button.  Also, the smallest shake of nerves in your hand will blur the picture.  Not beyond recognition, but beyond usability.

I do love the camera.  I believe that Nikon makes amazing products, but I will be willing to pay more next time for a higher end version of what I have now.  One last note: a memory card is a must, there just simply isn't any room in the camera otherwise.

Lightweight camera with great photos

from Staten Island, NY

Comments about Nikon - Coolpix S550 Digital Camera:

I love my camera! Pictures and video are always clear.

I have had my camera over three years an have dropped it several times. It still works great.

Battery Life
Over time the battery has begun draining quickly even with no use.

Good Camera for the money

Comments about Nikon - Coolpix S550 Digital Camera:

I recieved this camera as a birthday gift a few years ago. I bought a case to put it in and it has stayed great and takes wonderful pictures!! I like to color of it since it's still alittle girly and I also trust the brand. This camera is great to travel with and I don't have to feel worried all the time about someone stealing it because if that were to happen ( though I would prefer it didn't ) then at least it's affordable to buy a new one as to some camera's you don't want to bring them out of your house with fear of loosing it or dropping it ect. I would highly recommend this iteam for yourself or even as a gift for a loved one.

• Portability:

Good picture quality, but not durable.

from Wadsworth, OH

Comments about Nikon - Coolpix S550 Digital Camera:

Good picture quality, but not durable. Has broken twice in 2 years and needed repaired.

Image Quality
Image quality is good, versatile image features and takes good action photos.

Good image quality, just not durable.

Easy to use.

Not durable. Has broken twice in 2 years of having it.

Battery Life
Battery life is average

Portability
Easy to port around, fits most standard cases

• Portability:

Great Camera with lots of fun features!

from Philadelphia, PA

• Portability:

You'll never miss a shot again with this in your handbag

from Beaverton, OR

Comments about Nikon - Coolpix S550 Digital Camera:

The greatest, most hi-tech, zillion megapixel camera in the world does you no good if you don't have it with you because it's too big and you don't want to drag a camera bag around all day.  We have a fabulous digital SLR that I use when I'm specifically going out to shoot pictures - and I have this one that is always in my handbag.  It's more than a point-and-shoot, though, and takes exquisite photographs.

With **10 megapixels** and a **5x optical zoom**, a **Nikkor lens** (glass, unlike the plastic lenses in some digitals), and some pretty impressive in-camera software, you'll won't be sacrificing picture quality.  Comparing the abilities of this little gem with your cell phone camera is like comparing a Cadillac with Pinto.

Most cameras have red-eye reduction now - the flash briefly flashes before the flash picture is taken, causing the subject's pupils to contract.  The S550 has that - and it also has **in-camera software to correct red-eye** after the shot.  This is a real bonus for folks who like to snap people and pets and don't want to invest in Photoshop or other image manipulation software to correct red-eye after the fact.

How many times have you taken pictures and later realized that you hadn't held the camera still enough?  The S550 has Nikon's proprietary **Electronic VR Image Stabilization** - which Nikon puts in it's top-of-the-line cameras and lenses - you'll take the most crisp photographs of your life.

Two other features added specifically for those of use who are the official 'family photographer' - **Smile Shutter and Blink Warning**.  Seriously!

You just about have to make a conscious effort to NOT take a good picture with this camera.

And the deal clincher?  IT COMES IN **PURPLE**.  :)

Nikon coolpix S550 small package but great pictures

from Lester, AL

Comments about Nikon - Coolpix S550 Digital Camera:

I have had my Nikon S550 for about a year now. My old cameras battery bit the dust and I had my eye on this camera for some time. Initially I had no experience with Nikon as a brand but thought it would be a great camera after reading some reviews. But I fell in love when I found one that was purple. I have had no trouble out of my camera thus far. It does have one downside that I have found and that is the you have to take out the battery everytime you wish to charge. But I also think that could be a good thing because I won't accidentally leave it on a dock and eventually kill the battery. I am very satisfied with the picture quality of the Nikon S550. I also love that it doesn't produce blurry pictures as my old camera did. I also love that it is fairly easy to operate and learn all the functions. Not too hard for me and it was even easy for my mother to navigate the controls. I also love the fact that it is just the right size to easily carry in my purse. I absolutely love the Nikon Coolpix S550.

Very good camera, easy to use

from Bakersfield, CA

Comments about Nikon - Coolpix S550 Digital Camera:

This is the third digital camera I've owned over the last 8 years, and obviously, being the newest, it is the best. The picture quality is amazing. No other way to describe it. I dont even have it on the highest setting, but landscapes, cars, people - they all come out just great. Shooting is a breeze, and the camera works very quickly. Zoom is very good for this level of camera. The screen on the back is easy to use and the battery life is decent. Uploading your pictures to the computer is pretty easy, too. I dont really have any complaints about this camera, but i'm not a very technical guy with major photographing skills, so maybe i'm not picky enough. However, if you're just looking for a good camera that will do everything you ask of it - this is the one.

great for an on-the-go mom!

from Xenia, OH

Comments about Nikon - Coolpix S550 Digital Camera:

I purchased this after purchasing my bulky DSLR. I love my DSLR but it bulky and doesn't convieniently fit in my purse. How am I supposed to whip out my camera at the drop of a dime when it's safely packed away in it's super protected camera bag at home? The S550 fits right in my purse! It takes video so I don't have to have my camcorder for those surprise moments. I love being able to capture my kids being themselves!! They don't even know I'm grabbing the camera so I get them being themselves!! The features are pretty cool - one feature actually locates the persons face and searches for the smile. Pretty cool - should learn all the bells and whistles and I bet I could take a mean picture.

My only complaint would be the video quality is a little blah - not bad... just not exceptionally good. The sound shuts off about 3 seconds before your video actually ends - I'm have no idea why that would be. The pictures are best when in well lit area. The flash works but they pictures are never quite as good as when I use lots and lots of natural light.

Nikon Coolpix S550 - great light weight camera

from Trenton, NJ

Comments about Nikon - Coolpix S550 Digital Camera:

We got this camera because our Kodak Easyshare used up batteries and did not take great pictures.  When shopping, I was looking for an inexpensive camera that would take decent pictures, used rechargeable batteries, and had a decent zoom.  This Nikon Coolpix had it all.  It has 10.0 megapixels, a 2.5 inch LCD, and a 5x zoom.  It takes wonderful pictures (we especially like the multi picture feature that keeps snapping pictures so you are sure to get the good shot), it does not have too much of a lag between pressing the button and taking the shot, and we can take pictures of our children playing in the back of the yard from our kitchen window with the powerful zoom.  The battery lasts for a while before needing to be recharged which is a big difference from the cameras that take AA batteries.  It is very light weight and my husband can fit it in his shirt pocket to make sure it is always right there when we want to snap a shot.  I can't say I have any complaints about this camera.

Great Photos but cumbersome to use

from Mahwah, NJ

Comments about Nikon - Coolpix S550 Digital Camera:

My husband surprised me with this camera to replace my bulkier Canon.  It is smaller and very easy to carry around either in its case or in a pocket or pocket book.,  It takes great pictures and videos and is very easy to use.  The battery is a special battery and the unit comes with a battery charger that is very convenient.  Set up on the computer is also very easy and the software is quite intuitive.  My issue is with the hookup.  Every other digital camera I have worked with uses the same cord to attach to the computer.  This one comes with a special cord and that makes it very inconvenient.  We have three computers and it would be nice to be able to use this easily with each of them.  Of course, you can always remove the memory card and plug that into the computer to remove the photos but removal is not that easy.  However, for sheer ease of use, quality of pictures (it even tells you if someone is not smiling) and portability, this can't be beat.