3.2
Nikon
Nikon - Coolpix S203 Digital Camera

Nikon - Coolpix S203 Digital Camera

3.2

Good for point and shoot

from Utah

Comments about Nikon - Coolpix S203 Digital Camera:

My wife had one of these cameras, and we used it throughout college while we were dating. It's a simple point and shoot camera, but for that type, it does take good quality pictures.

Image Quality
This camera struggles to take high quality pictures at a distance, even when in scenery mode. With enough light, they can come out decently at times, but not good Anouilh to enter in an amateur photo contest. Up close and medium range came out well, although it sometimes struggles inside a building that does not have a lot of natural light.

This camera is very simple to use. It is point and shoot, and the auto focus does a pretty good job of focusing on the right objects.

We used this camera for several years without any problems. We only stopped using it when we upgraded to a newer model.

Portability
The slim design allowed us to carry it in a pocket so that we could pull it out at any time for a picture.

• Image Quality:
  • Battery Life:
  • Portability:

nikon s203 is a great priced camera

from San Bernardino, CA

Comments about Nikon - Coolpix S203 Digital Camera:

I purchased this cool nikon s203 camera as part of the black friday specials from last year at targey! love targey! This was pretty much in stock at the store i went to, so much that i had enough time to think if i should purchase it or not, and still had time to return to the store and purchase it in the afternoon! hehe guess the tvs were the hot buys. This was priced under 100 buckaroos, and it proudly came with 10 megapixels. It has 3 times optical zoom. It has cool features like taking multiple shots in one picture to capture motion! that is pretty neat and fun to play around with. The quality is pretty good too, the pictures come out crisp and clean. But there was a bit of blurriness in the pics that did not come out, so maybe needs a better blurr detection. It takes pretty cool video too with great sound. I got this camera in the hot red color, i think it also came in black or silver but i am not sure. SO i have had this camera for a year and i quite like it, do not know if i will upgrade any time soon.

Nikon - Coolpix S203 Digital Camera is ok.

from Bethesda, MD

Comments about Nikon - Coolpix S203 Digital Camera:

**Nikon - Coolpix S203 Digital Camera.**  I got this Nikon coolpix digital camera as a Christmas gift last year.  I loved the color (red), the compact size and the name Nikon.  However, am bit disappointed with the quality of the pictures.  The picture quality is not clear as I would like it to be.  It’s bit blurry.  There are lot of features in this camera- from auto mode, party/indoor to recording.  Also, there is facial recognition and auto focus which is pretty cool.  Camera is compact and uses small lithium battery which needs to be charged separately.  It also comes with SD card (10 megapixels) which I have upgraded to 8 GB for more storage of pictures/ videos.  One cool feature I love is the panorama assist mode.  It captures entire view/pictures without any flaw or cut-off, so you can capture that entire mountain view with ease.  I also like the video feature – great sound and picture seems to be good too.    The reason I'm rating it 3 is because, the still pictures are not crisp and clear as I would of liked it to be.

The Nikon Coolpix is ok at best

from Winston Salem, NC

Comments about Nikon - Coolpix S203 Digital Camera:

I received this camera as a Christmas gift. I wanted a small camera that I could easily carry around and not be too bulky. This camera is sleek and easy to operate. However, it doesn't take the best pictures. The pictures taken outside when it is sunny are fine. If the light is not great, the pictures turn out kind of orange. Also, if someone is moving it looks like a blur. My Kodak would stablize movement and turn out fine.

Great size, portability, so so pictures

from Natick, MA

Comments about Nikon - Coolpix S203 Digital Camera:

I got this camera because of the Nikon name, price and portability.  It was also an upgrade in megapixes from the 5 on my Canon A110 to 10 mpix here.  Unfortunately after getting the camera and taking some pictures I have been underwhelmed by the picture quality.  The pictures are grainy, even in full light, and worse in low light situations.  The colors also seem to be less vibrant than expected.  When taking pictures with my Canon at sporting events, everything in the fram seems to be better focused than with this Nikon.  I could zoom in on a picture from the canon and see the fans on the other side of the arena with some clarity.  The same picture with this camera results in a blurrier background with much less definition.  I looked online to see if this might be only my camera, but it seemed like normal output from what I read.  One suggestion that seemed to improve the picture quality somewhat was to set the iso to 200 and turn on the distortion control.  The quality did improve but still not of the same quality as my lower megapixel Canon.

There are a number of selectable modes on the camera from scenery to indoor party, pretty standard fare, but I'm  not convinced they produce much better results.  There is a facial recognition piece to the autofocus that is pretty cool, so you see the faces hilighted on your LCD when you are taking the picture.  When in use it will also give a blink warning if it senses that someone blinked as the picture was being taken. There is no physical viewfinder so you will always have to use the LCD, this could affect battery life a little as it is a nice sized 2" screen with good resolution.  The camera uses a small lithium ion battery which needs to be charged in a separate charger that comes with the camera.  This is too bad as the charger is as big as the camera itself, which kind of defeats the whole portability benefit for longer trips where you may exhaust the charge.  The single SD memory card slot is also accessed behind the same door as the battery, so expect to open that a fair amount.  Also on the bottom of the camera is a standard tripod mount and the mini USB jack for connecting the camera to a computer or printer.

The video mode records in .avi with tv quality resolutions of 640 or 320.  They are not limited in size that i am aware of, but have taken clips of a couple minutes.  The display on the camera shows the capacity of your SD card in minutes and counts down as you record.  There did seem to be a slightly annoying tick sound in time with the REC display in the corner of the screen when recording.  But it wasn't audible on replay.

So while the camera is very compact and portable, I can't highly recommend it given the only fair picture quality.