Other Acne & Blemish Treatments:

Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash Redness Soothing Gentle Scrub

Pros

Cons

Oil-Free Acne Wash from Neutrogena Gently Prevents Acne

I originally purchased this product for my twelve-year-old son, who has hit that acne-prone stage of life common to us all. Neutrogena is a brand I trust, so I felt pretty safe getting this for him. I have borrowed his wash from him several times (seems being almost fifty doesn't exempt one from acne!) and have been suitably impressed. The gentle exfoliant in the scrub was both invigorating and soothing. I was concerned that an oil-free scrub would leave my middle-aged skin feeling tight and dry, but I was pleased to find my skin smooth, soft, and moisturized after I rinsed off. My son has very fair and sensitive skin which is prone to both irritation and breakouts. This product has kept the breakouts at a minimun and has not provoked his skin to irritation. I also appreciate that Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash is very lightly scented. I think this has a lot to do with it's gentle treatment of our skin.

Ease of Application
The squeeze tube is fine, but there's always the issue of getting the last bit out when your nearly on empty.

Made my face even more red.

I was so excited to buy this wash. I have struggle with redness from rosacea my whole life. I have always trusted the Neutrogena brand. When I put this on my face, I felt a strong and painful burning. My face felt raw to the point that it actually hurt to use a washcloth to wipe it off! I figured maybe it was a fluke so I tried it again the next day. That was a big mistake. My skin hurt for 3 days afterwards.

I kept wondering why I was having such a strong reaction from a product that is meant to reduce redness. Shouldn't it be sensitive and soothing? I then realized that the redness it reduces is probably from pimples and acne, not actual skin discoloration down to the capillaries! The label is misleading. As a consumer, this disappoints me more than the redness and burning did.

This product physically hurt me. I do have sensitive skin and use mostly perfume and dye free products (except for shampoo). I would recommend that you try it on a sample spot of skin before using it on your face. If you react like I do, it will take time to heal. You shouldn't have to heal just from washing your face!

Very Irritating

Comments about Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash Redness Soothing Gentle Scrub:

I've had pretty bad acne since my early teens. My skin isn't sensitive at all, so I've never had a problem with any facial products. I was clearly excited about this purchase since I'd previously read about how good this company is. My excitement was soon deflated once I used it and my face began burning about 20 seconds into the application. I checked the ingredients and I'm not allergic to any of them, so I was pretty baffled. I wondered if thats how the product worked and continued to use it for about a week. Not so.

After a weeks use, I noticed that my acne was a bit worse than it was before I started. I had redness that I didn't have before and it dried my skin up after each use. After using, I would have dry flakes of skin that were quite disgusting and annoying if I was on my way somewhere.

Ease of Application
The application process was pretty simple.

Convenience
If it didn't have the side effects, this would be a pretty great product. My skin did feel clean after using, but it also felt as if it was on fire. Thats the down side.

Side Effects
Redness, irritation, dry skin.

• Immediacy:

Clean and fresh feeling on my face

from Wesley Chapel, FL

Comments about Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash Redness Soothing Gentle Scrub:

I suffered from adult acne after having my second child. I had never really had any problems with acne in the past so I wasn't sure how to handle it. I quickly learned that many facial cleansers on the market caused nothing buy irritation to my face and did not help with acne. I have sensitive skin and it seems like nothing works without irritation.
I saw this product and gave it a try. It really worked great and made my face feel fresh and clean. The scrub is gentle enough not to irritate, but effective enough to see results. It helped clear up the existing acne that I had and helped to prevent future acne. I wont say that it made my skin totally clear, but it really helped my face look healthier and cleaner. This is a great product for people that have sensitive skin and are worried about a cleanser being too harsh.

Ease of Application
This product is very easy to apply. I use it in the morning and evening.

Side Effects
Does not cause redness or irritation to the face.

• Immediacy:

Cleanse the face and reduces pimples

Comments about Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash Redness Soothing Gentle Scrub:

The Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash Redness Soothing Gentle Scrub was originally bought by my mum because as a young teen I had reddish cheeks and nose, as I had suffered from a lot of break outs and had a lot of black heads. And the Neutrogena Acne Wash cleared up my skin and reduced the reddish appearance on my face caused from the acne. It completely got rid of it for me and I don’t have to use it any more because I now have clear skin. My hormones must have been out of whack but the Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash Redness Soothing Gentle Scrub did the trick of removing the roughness of my skin and made it feel smoother and clearer. I applied it every day for over six months or so because on the first week of using it the pimples were smaller, the fierce pressure of them pushing at my skin was reduced which in hand made the redness of my skin become normal because of the size of them changing. So after cleansing my face for all those months I no longer had those harsh pimples any more, only the smalls ones from time to time and never had that reddish appearance all over my face every again. Would definitely recommend this to those individuals suffering from acne as this does help reduce the size and numbers of those disgusting pimples.

• Immediacy:

Okay cleanser but doesn't sooth redness.

from Kansas

Comments about Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash Redness Soothing Gentle Scrub:

Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash Redness Soothing Gentle Scrub is an okay cleanser. I bought this because I have rosacea and mild acne. It claimed to reduce redness but that's not the case. I have no reason to use it if it doesn't work for the original reason I bought it, I'll just go back to my normal cleanser.

The cleanser comes in a gel like form. It doesn't smell too bad. You use it just like any other cleanser and rinse it off. It has little beads in it that exfoliate a little bit. It apparently has aloe and chamomile in it which are the two things that are supposed to help reduce redness. Since it doesn't do anything for redness, I'm not sure how much of either ingredient is actually in it. Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash Redness Soothing Gentle Scrub is good for managing your acne and it doesn't dry out your skin. But since it does nothing for the redness I see no point in buying it again, since that's it's main selling point.

Stick with a different cleanser, one that actually does what it claims.

Neutrogena Acne Wash

Comments about Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash Redness Soothing Gentle Scrub:

I have horrible acne, so I am always trying new products to find what works best. I picked up the Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash Redness Soothing Gentle Scrub because it said it helped with acne, and it also helps to reduce redness from existing acne or just red spots. I have a lot of redness in my face, so I wanted to get rid of my acne. This scrub is very gentle. It has tiny little beads in it that exfoliates your face. The product also claims to have reduce redness. This scrub helped my acne a little bit, and it helped the redness some too. The only problem is that I can only use it once or twice a week. If I use it any more than that, it will irritate my skin and make the redness worse.

It's very effective.

Ease of Application
It's very easy to apply, but sometimes the little beads in it are hard to rinse off my face.

Side Effects
The only side effect I experienced was some redness and peeling after I used the scrub too much.

Overall just ok

Comments about Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash Redness Soothing Gentle Scrub:

I tried the product because a friend suggested it, but sadly it has not done much for me yet. I even tried applying it daily for about three weeks and there were still no results. The only effect I could really tell was that it dried out my skin a lot. When I say a lot, I mean it. I had to apply moisturizer on afterward because it made my skin feel super tight. I even had my brother try it to see if it would have the same effect on him and I was right! It surprised us both that such a highly talked about product could work so poorly. To be fair though, I think it might have helped some because I did not see an increase in the acne covering my skin. At the time I first tried it though, I really suffered with acne on my chin area as well as the area right around my nose. The area around my nose was most dried out with this product. I did not see this on the chin area as much as the nose. The product felt nice with that it lathered on. You just had to add a tiny bit of water to your hands and then rub it around in your palms until it created a foam or lather like substance. It felt just fine on your face.

• Immediacy:

Great product for a great price

from Columbus, OH

Comments about Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash Redness Soothing Gentle Scrub:

I am 34 years old and a few months ago my face started breaking out for no apparent reason. I'm guessing stress and demanding family schedule. I went to the store and bought a couple different acne medications, one I've had past experience with-when I was a teenager. But unfortunately my skin needs have changed over the years and those products made my face red and irritated. The products that had benzyl peroxide in them peeled the skin right off of my face! I was mortified. So I went online to research reviews for different products and see what products people my age are using. Neutrogena seemed to be the answer to my problem. And to make matters even better, they have this redness soothing scrub to help repair my skin from the previous products used. I really like this product, it's creamy and has little beads that exfoliate your skin, but gently. It washes off very easily so there's no scrubbing needed. After about a week I started to notice a difference in my skin. It was not only softer and moisturized, but it didn't have any new acne marks. I am still using it today and I'm back to only getting the occasional pimple or two, but not all over my chin and forehead like I was getting before starting this product. If you want something gentle yet effective, this product is a great choice.

Convenience
It's very simple to use but I do wish it came in a bottle with a pump. I think the insides of these bottles can get pretty nasty if you use them in the shower.

Side Effects
There was no side effects, just happiness that my face was cleared up.

Immediacy
Like I said, it took about a week before I started noticing any difference. So it's not going to happen over night.

Effective and pleasant.

Comments about Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash Redness Soothing Gentle Scrub:

I have had pretty bad acne for several years. I'm allergic to the active ingredients in Proactive's face wash, so when I found Neutrogena's redness reduces, I figured it was worth a try. I used it twice a day and before the week was over the redness around my acne and some redness unassociated was fading quickly. The scent is light and pleasant and after rinsing my face feels very fresh.

Ease of Application
It doesn't require much, lathers quickly, and rinses cleanly.

Side Effects
I don't think any are listed and I haven't experienced any, but I've only been using it for two weeks.

Immediacy
Most cleansers take about two weeks, but the first week wasn't even out before I saw the redness reducing in my skin.

Awesome

Comments about Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash Redness Soothing Gentle Scrub:

I bought this after having used the grapefruit wash. It was definitely a positive change and the redness from the grapefruit on was reduced. I missed the grapefruit scent of it but I enjoyed the creamy version better than the gel one. It felt a lot more direct and effective when I applied it.

This is exactly like the grapefruit version of Neutrogena's, except that the redness factor was eliminated. The microclear technology is great.

Ease of Application
It was easy to apply and because it's creamy rather than a gel, it doesn't run right off and stays until you wash it off.

Convenience
I love Neutrogena's products but I wish they weren't so pricey and little, because I always have to use it more sparingly than I would anything else.

Side Effects
I didn't notice any apparent side effects, but it just did what it said it would do and didn't get much harder than that.

Immediacy
Basically worked right away-might've taken a couple days to take effect but I didn't have any major breakouts during the couple days in between.

Good, not Great product.

from Herndon, VA

Comments about Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash Redness Soothing Gentle Scrub:

I consider this an effective facial scrub. More pros than cons. I'm a 40 year old, fair skinned blonde with combination skin, more dry than oily. I used to have oilier skin, but as time goes by, it's becoming more dry. I'm prone to very occasional blemishes. This product keeps 95% of blemishes away. I consider that very effective as an anti-acne product. It's gentle, cooling, and refreshing. I like using it and I feel like it does it's job in keeping my skin clear. It does not dry out my skin, which is nice. It leaves my skin feeling soft. It is effective at removing make-up as well. I often choose this product over other anti-acne cleansers or scrubs. It can be hard to find at times, It's either not sold in too many stores, or it sells out quickly. I think it's a popular, well-liked product. There is one major con however...It does not seem to be effective in reducing redness, which it claims to do. I have a bit of redness on my cheeks, chin, and nose. I consider it mild. (Not rosacea). With this product, I don't notice much reduction in the redness, if at all. So, it's a great acne scrub, but not too effective for reducing redness on my skin. If redness or rosacea is a significant problem for you, you might need something else to combat that. For me, I still enjoy this product since my redness is quite mild.

Side Effects
No side effects noted.