3.7
Netgear
WGR614L

3.7

Netgear is easy to use, but needs some improvement

I purchased this netgear for use as my home network. Very simple, a desktop, laptop, netbook and a wireless printer. The setup was very easy - the instructions were well written and east to follow. It worked great for about two months. We lost our power during a storm and when it was restored, the wireless router would only work if you plugged in an ethernet cable. Not what I expected when I purchased it. I tried the troubleshooting, online support and phone support. Everyone said that it was set up correctly and that it should work wirelessly, but no one could say why it wasn't. I returned it as it was still under warranty and received a new one. The second unit worked well for about three months, then it would lose connectivity. I was constantly having to shut it off and restart the unit to regain internet service. Again, I tried the troubleshooting, online support and phone support. The best answer that I got was that it must be something in our home that was causing the units to malfunction. Overall, the unit was easy to set up and use and it worked fine for a while. The support technicians were very helpful and friendly, they just couldn't figure out why both of the units wouldn't function correctly. After a year of dealing with it, I just gave in and purchased a differant router. Bottom line, give it a try. If you run into problems, return it and get something new.

expensive mistake

I purchased this router and I cant stress enough how sorry I am that I did.. Since it was installed all I get is network timeouts and cant find server. If I disconnect the router and use another all works fine. The netgear tech claims all is set up as it should be and cant find the problem. If all is set up right , than why doesnt it work? I have used other netgear routers in the past and none of these problems have occured. It isnt my computer or my isp either. I think there may be a defect in the router itself. In the past I would have reccomended netgear to everyone but now I am not too sure that I would. I do have to say customer service tried to be helpful but has not so far succeeded. I would suggest very strongly anyone who is purchasing a new router look elswere so you can avoid the grief I am now encountering. I depend on a stable computer and need a router that works reliably. It sure isnt this one. I consider it a good day if I can complete one task without an error message or being knocked offline.Of course the solution is to get another router but it doesnt seem fair that I had to throw away hard earned money on this one.

Netgear WGR614L was good...while it lasted.

from Menasha, WI

Comments about Netgear Wireless Router:

I'm brand loyal, but only once a manufacturers product has proven itself to me. Up until that point I like to try various brands. I've yet to find a solid internet router brand that satisfies me completely. I bought the Netgear WGR614L over it's compititor level router by Linksys.

Out of the box, the WGR614L looks very nice and well constructed. It comes with everything necessary for installation with your internet modem. There are also labels for all ports of the router that instructs you to run the installation disc first, which is helpful in making sure installation goes just as they designed it.

Setup wasn't the easiest I've encountered with a wireless internet router because it needs everything to be done exactly as stated. In comparison to other routers I've had in which it is smart enough to compensate for wrong or our of order steps taken by the user, the WGR614L's setup must follow the onscreen steps.

Once complete, the internet ran flawlessly without lost of signal or any sort of unexpected slowness.

However, the reason it scores so slow is that it only lasted 5 months in which it just completely stopped working.

Netgear WGR614L Wireless Router

from Plano, TX

Comments about Netgear Wireless Router:

I had a friend buy me this from Fry's Electronics and set it up for me since I am a little technically challenged. I use it at home and it is a very reliable router. I maybe have to reset it (just unplug and replug in) only 1 x every 4-5 months. It works well and I havent had any problems with it so far in the 2 + years I have had it. It was also affordable!

Router

from Lakeside, OR

Comments about Netgear Wireless Router:

I never thought I would ever look for this type of equipment, but here I am using a wireless router so I can use my laptop in the comfort of my love seat.  Sure makes a difference from sitting at the computer desk and never truly ever getting comfortable.  with the use of this router, I am free to move anywhere in my house and outside in my yard anywhere, never loosing my internet service. I like the option of being able to set it up with my own configurations and having it still secure that only those I wish to access it, can.  I don't pay for my service to have others stealing it from me, so I love the idea of setting it in secure mode. without my chosen password, or the one I allow them to set for me, is private to only what I allow.   I don't know if you have ever been online and got booted, cause too much traffic on the web, well; I have, I am not going to go through that again, as long as I continue using my netgear wireless router.

Not bad for the price

from Marathon, NY

Comments about Netgear Wireless Router:

We bought this router a few years back after a storm fried our old one. After a (very) slightly complicated set-up, we were up and running in no time. The only REAL issue we had with this, was that we had to change the settings so that the connection wouldn't go out every time the phone rang. Other than a few minor hiccups, we really haven't had any problems with it!

GO wireless

from Kansas City, MO

Comments about Netgear Wireless Router:

It's like this, if you're reading this review, you are most likely reading it online. So are you on  a desktop or a laptop? This router is the on must have techie device in all households that have the world wide web coursing through their wiring. While I am not qualifed to get into the whole psk, wep security thing, I will admit that I am quite happy with what I have. I was in fact so happy, that I went out and bought one for my brother, so that I could jump online when I visit his house. Look the internet is here to stay. It's up to you to connect, whether it be wired or wireless. I just happen to prefer wireless. I experienced no lag time , no boot offs or really any other problems for that matter. Small enough to tuck away and not get noticed, pretty enough to set out front and garner all the attention it deserves. Yes , all in all I would recommend this product to anyone who needed such a device.

from Raleigh, NC

Comments about Netgear Wireless Router:

This wireless router is great we got it as a gift from a friend of ours and it has worked great ever since we got it. It was a little tough to get it started because i didn't use the manual, but i eventually figured it out. The reception around the house is great and sometimes outside of our house. But having too much range can be a bad thing because of hackers out there. One really cool thing about it is you can hook up other wires and run them to your ps3 or xbox or tivo, whereas before i couldnt had to use a wifi connection, which can slow it down if you have 6 or 7 things using the airwaves at the same time. Plus a wired connection is always better. But for things like the ipod touch and the droid, which cant be wired it is a very useful item and sometimes a necessity. It is pretty convenient in that it doesnt hog any computer space too. There have only been a few times where the wifi will stop working for a little bit but its only for about 2-3 minutes. I recommend the Netgear Wireless Router WGR614

Perfect

from Chuckey, TN

Comments about Netgear Wireless Router:

This is the best router I've ever seen or bought. I started off with something a little cheaper but I couldn't even get it to install. So I took the other one back and got this netgear. When I installed it, it went really fast and was very east to set up and use. worth the money

Netgear is easy to use, but needs some improvement

from Owatonna, MN

Comments about Netgear Wireless Router:

Netgear= good router, not great though

from Kittery Point, ME

Comments about Netgear Wireless Router:

We bought this router because it wasn't the cheapest one on the market, made by a reputable brand, was wireless, and has data encryption. For about a year it worked great, now certain devices can't seem to connect or take a long time to connect to the router. It frequently loses connectivity.

When the router was brand new it connected quickly and the data transfer rate was fast. It's a great little router for the price, but I wouldn't recommend it for constant, 24/7 use. It gets heated, and that is when it tends to lose it's connectivity.

The Best wireless G router for the Buck

from Midland, TX

Comments about Netgear Wireless Router:

This router is the one I use. It practically sets itself up for you.  The encryption is more then adequate. I reccomend using the entire 16 characters for the access code to keep people out of it. This router will reach 150 feet or more so if you dont activate security you will have people on the street outside surfing your I.P.

It will run up to for ethernet ( wired connections) and will do as many wireless connections as you have bandwidth for, it will just slow stuff down if you connect to much tech to it.