Other Routers:

Netgear Wireless Router

Pros

Cons

• Service & Support:

NetGear for good wireless connections.

I do everything on my laptop and having a NetGear WGR614 Wireless Router means I can use my laptop in any room in the house and still have the same strength signal that I had when I used a cable modem. I tried out the NetGear because I was tired of being stuck in one place with a laptop. That is the whole reason I got a laptop so I could take it to otherplaces than the bedroom. So I can now sit in the kitchen writting review while watching the food cook instead of having to leave and then come back after the food is done. I do not know why I did not get one of these things in the first place. It is also great so my 2 stepsons can use Xbox live on thier  Xbox 360s. Though if they are both online I do notice a lot of lag in the internet but luckily school is starting soon & I wont have to worry about that for too much longer. Only one computer so do not know if it will lag with more than one computer. So might not be that great if you got a lot of stuff you want to use wireless then this might not be the best but works great with one. Maybe it is just those darn Xboxes that lag it down.

The NetGear router is small and accessible!

This accessible router is quite compact and easy to use. The CD instructions are concise and easy to understand, all you need to do is plug in your ethernet cord and follow the simple directions. Even with the slowest internet, the connection is very good - I've never had a problem with it, outside of it once or twice needing reset, like any other router. Also if you have an old computer without a wireless card, you are able to plug in the ethernet cord into your computer into your router - there are actually four ports just in case you want to share the router with four plus computers (and you really don't). I like how it's so easy to use. Also, make sure that you change your SSID (the network name) or else you'll be the fifth Netgear in your neighborhood - and DON'T FORGET TO LOCK YOUR NETWORK! (What I like to do - since I live in college dorms - is to change the SSID to the next upcoming event to advertise). It's really best when you are using it for only one or two computers - sometimes overloading it is really not in your best interest. Having it a couple of smartphones and your computer on it should not be too big of a problem - just not videostreaming three plus computers at once.

Good Product

Comments about Netgear Wireless Router:

I purchased this router about 2 years ago since I needed think it was a decent wireless router. I also needed the router for wifi purposes because I started getting the iphone, ipad, and other devices that needs wifi. This router is good for an average internet user. Its average speed so do not expect it to be very fast to use for high graphic games. This router is very reliable and have not had any issues with it.

This has a good amount of speed for an average router. It provides you with good amounts of speed if you want to check your internet, web browsing, skyping, and more.

This router just lasts and lasts. I bought this router two years ago and still ever since. This router is super durable and it never starts to look old.

Setup & Ease of Use
I am impressed on how easy it is to setup the router to be ready to use. There is a website that yo go to and you just let it load and enter some information in. You can even start to broadcast a wireless network to use on your wireless devices.

Service & Support
The service and support is great. I had one problem with the router. Once, I couldn't connect my iphone to the wireless network. I contacted them and they told me what to do to fix that problem. Their support is wonderful! They are super fast at replying and left me with a positive attitude towards their company.

Good reliable wireless G router

from New York, NY

Comments about Netgear Wireless Router:

I owned this router for almost 2 years now. I previously owned a Netgear wireless b router. It has been working flawlessly but then I decided to upgrade for a wireless G router. I chose this Netgear wireless G router. Although the one I bought is a re-certified version, it hasn't disappoint me. It's a great router with fast and reliable connection. It has 4 Ethernet ports in the back. It comes with 2 vertical stands so you could place it vertically if you want. If not, you could just leave it sit horizontally. It comes with an Ethernet cable too. The thing I like the best about this router is that it has very big and bright light indicators in the front. It tells you which Ethernet port is active and if there's active internet/wireless connection. I have around 10 active wireless devices and 4 wired devices connected to the router. All are working smoothly. I could modify the router settings by going to www.routerlogin.net. Its web interface is clean and easy to understand.

The Netgear 614 router did not last long enough

from Skokie, IL

Comments about Netgear Wireless Router:

The Netgear WGR614 router lasted about a year. It worked well enough when it was functional but I believe it should have lasted longer.

It was easy to install and it connected well but it did not last long enough.

a 1 year service life was insufficient.

Setup & Ease of Use
setup was fast and easy. I could get the network working right away.

Service & Support
It was out of warranty, so I did nt call. I followed the suggestions on the web site for troubleshooting. None worked.

• Service & Support:

Still going strong after 5 years.

from Prior Lake, MN

Comments about Netgear Wireless Router:

very reliable, have connected my kindle, nintendo dsxl, tosiba tv, all work fine. just don't forget your password.....they do have support, but after the warrantee is over, you gotta pay....but it sure comes in handy when you encounter any problems......

Still working great after 5 years

it fell off my shelf several times, but keeps on ticking

simple

Service & Support
free for a time, but they offer a pay support, which I have used several times. They help with everything computer, TV, Nintendo ds, anything connected to your wifi. Very satisfied with the support, alot better and cheaper than hauling it in or a service call.

Easy to use

from Butte, MT

Comments about Netgear Wireless Router:

This netgear wireless router is a snap to setup and install. You just open, plug it in, go to the Ip address, put in your settings, such as your network name, your ISP, what type of security you want, password, and bam you done. They do everything else for you. They even keep the firmware updated for you. Speed is fine. Just as good as most wireless routers for the price. I can walk around my neighborhood with my laptop and stay connected, no problem. If you want to get a little more technical. It allows you to do this.You can configure every setting, and see and test each computer. You can either assign a static IP or not. You can log in remotly from any computer. Netgear walks you though each setting with a description and what you are supposed to do, so that you understand what you are setting. On the right side of the page is the help menu with every page. Plus Netgear support is very good. They respond quickly to issues and use language you can understand. For the price you can't beat it, and again, it is easy to setup and get up and running. Doc.

Never have a problem getting online.

from Grand Rapids, MI

Comments about Netgear Wireless Router:

Netgear has been the rock of my households wireless internet connection for 5 years. In fact, we still have the original netgear wireless router that we bought in 2005. It has never had a problem, even through the neglect and abuse we've put it through. It just keeps on ticking, no matter what happens to it. The technical support that the company offers isn't really necessary because the product itself is bulletproof. I would recommend using netgear to everyone I know who is frustrated with bad internet connections and wireless gear that doesn't ever work properly, or has to be reset all the time. Netgear never has the problems typically associated with wireless gear.

Netgear is a must have

from Brunswick, GA

Comments about Netgear Wireless Router:

I must say that the netgear router is great.  I purchased this item about four months ago and haven't had any problems with it.  I absolutely love it, it hasn't had to be taken back to the store and the netgear support center is wonderful, they stand behind their product and help you resolve any issues that my have any connection with the product.  I've called them to help me with the set up of my networks with the router and with my wi-fi adapter (which was a netgear product as well).  They have a great support team and the techs are very knowledgeable in every field. Net gear also has another support service call Gear Head that is a paid support service for software issues which include netgear and non netgear products.  I actually purchased this and let me tell you that it the best thing out there.  A software suppport service form my computer manufactuer would have cost twice as much and they only handle issues with their computer, but netgears support will cover any software support from a computer to game systems to cellphones, to televisons  I highly recommend that everyone who has any issues with any modern applications to call netgear and get gearhead support its awesome.

netgear wireless router has issues

from Dover, FL

Comments about Netgear Wireless Router:

this needs to be replaced often, meaning every 4 to 6 months, i have it through my cable company so they replace but my outlay way 150.00, online but no access, unit over heating, would not buy it  again

Worked good at first...

from Fairmont, MN

Comments about Netgear Wireless Router:

I bought this router a few years ago. It used to always work good, have good range and signal quality and speed. Maybe it is to be expected that a router will go bad after several years? Because I guess the same thing happened with my Belkin and Linksys routers. It is a nice looking router, small and white with 4 ethernet out ports and WIFI. There does not seem to be any problems with computers who are directly hooked up to the ethernet ports. What does seem to be the downer is that I'll be on my laptop downloading something, surfing the web, doing homework, playing computer games, or something like that... and my signal quality will drop. Sometimes it drops to "out of range" and sometimes it just drops to very poor signal quality. It can be very frustrating, and it appears to be completely random. Sometimes it will go down and come right back up when other times it will stay down and I end up resetting the router and then it works for awhile.

NetGear Wireless Router is simple enough for an amateur

from Aurora, CO

Comments about Netgear Wireless Router:

I have never had any problems with the NetGear Wireless-G Router.  It was simple to understand how to set up and simple to set up.  It is slim and takes up little space, and at the same time, is attractive so it's not an embarrassment if anybody can see it.  I can now go anywhere in my home without unplugging and plugging.  It's awesome!