Other Routers:
Apple
MD031LL/A
Apple Airport Extreme Base Station

Summary

AirPort Extreme Base Station

The sleek, easy-to-use AirPort Extreme Base Station is the perfect wireless access point for home, school, or small business. Blazing fast, it delivers up to five times the performance and up to twice the range compared to 802.11g routers.1 And you can use it with both Macs and PCs.
Price: $179.00

Apple Airport Extreme Base Station

Pros

Cons

• Service & Support:

As long as you have a reliable internet connection, it's amazing

I used to have a Linksys wireless router on my PC, and I had to reset it all the time. It was complicated to set up, and hardly ever worked properly.Read complete review

I finally became fed up and bought the Apple Airport Extreme. I am well aware of Apple's reputation for excellence, so there was really no question about what I was going to buy. And to seal the deal, it's PC compatible and so user friendly, it only took about 10 minutes to set up. The only problem I have now is with my cable/internet company!

Sure, Apple products are more expensive, but they're more reliable, durable and will last long after their PC competition becomes obsolete. It's more money up front, but less expensive in the long run.

Not all as avertised

Purchased 2 to set a network in a large house.  No web based interface so had to use the airport utility from the mac.  One airport was setup as a router with ppoe DSL.  The second as a range extender.  Had to keep rerunning setup on the second one.  Finally replaced with a Linksys N Router and it reached throughout the house for half the price of one airport.  when it worked it the speed was very fast.  Also you cant clone the Mac address.

Beautiful device i like it

from dak maroc

About Me Low bandwidth user

Pros

• Fast
  • Small

Cons

• Insecure

• Small Office

Comments about Apple Airport Extreme Base Station:

Many liked the sweet wonderful device i like it she is so so

• Primary use:
  • Personal
  • Computer Platform:
  • PC
  • I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

Great!

Comments about Apple Airport Extreme Base Station:

This router is great! It is very easy to setup if you have a Mac. It has great range, I have a full 3 bars everywhere in my house. We have many products in my house that use wifi and you can't really tell a difference in speed when they're connected at the same time. The only negative I can think of is that it only has 3 Ethernet ports but that's just a minor complaint for me.

This product ROCKS!

from Fort Collins, CO

Comments about Apple Airport Extreme Base Station:

Love, Love, Love this product. I have been through several Linksys with constant hassle and failure. The Apple Airport Extreme is easy to use and it is much more reliable. Worth every penny!!

Performs better than anything else I have tried

Seems good to me

Setup & Ease of Use
Very easy to set up and use. I could use my IPhone to set it up to my PC and PS3.

Service & Support
Very helpful instructions came with the product and you can download a free App for additional support

• Service & Support:

The little wonder that makes my computer move

from Palo Alto, CA

Comments about Apple Airport Extreme Base Station:

The only problem with this was the instructions they that it came with to install I wish they would have said you need to download a driver would have saved a lot of trouble working it out myself.
Otherwise I find that this works great no problems at all.

works like a charm no hiccups.

Setup & Ease of Use
Set up could have been better with better instructions

Worth every penny!

from Spokane, WA

Comments about Apple Airport Extreme Base Station:

I've had the Apple AirPort Extreme for almost three years. I absolute love it! It is expensive but after reading hundreds of positive reviews, I felt it was the right choice. And I am glad I did. I have a Macbook and a PC and both work very well with it and never have problems. The range is great. I can sit on my deck or front porch and the internet never cuts out. It can have up to 5 wireless devices using it at same time. It is one of my favorite devices.

Awesome router!

from West Palm Beach, FL

Comments about Apple Airport Extreme Base Station:

For years, we have used Linksys routers. As technology advances and we incorporate more items into our network, the Linksys was unable to work well with all of our devices. Looking into options for a better router with more capability, we came across the Apple Airport Extreme. Granted, we don't have FIFTY devices, which it is able to withstand, but we have probably about 12 at the max point right now. 2 computers, 2 smartphones, 2 gaming consoles, wifi printer, external harddrive... it supports all of them.

It was a VERY simple installation. took about 5 minutes to setup and secure, versus a linksys which typically takes a half hour or so.

My fiance is a techie guy and I've learned a lot about technology in the time we have been together, and after testing my computer speed on the old router then the new one, there is a pretty significant difference. Having the Macbook air (and my fiance with macbook pro), they work rather fast as a computer, but having the router and the computer together, makes everything seem to work so much smoother!

Great with our IMac & Ipad

from Davenport, IA

Comments about Apple Airport Extreme Base Station:

We recently had to purchase a new router since ours finally died and we decided to go with the Apple since we have a IMac and we both have ipad and iphones since we are Apple brand lovers and I have noticed a huge difference in how fast my computer runs. We have a large house with an apartment in the basement for my mom and she has internet down there and our router is on the 2nd floor and she gets internet just fine, better than before, she has noticed her computer running faster too. I know the speed all depends on the site and the internet connection but I haven't had nearly as many problems switching from site to site quickly like i used to have. We also get better connection with our iphones and ipads anywhere in the house or outside the house that we used to have to wait a while to surf the net on them now we don't. There is also a guest set up where if we have friends over and they want to use our wi fi they can connect to our guest wifi which we can put a password on and not have them have access to our actual personal wi fi, my husband says that it allows my moms computer and our ipads to back up things on our back up thing that we have which on the old router we could only back up stuff on the IMac. So he was tickled pink and I love not having to worry about my internet going out.

The internet is much faster with this.

• Service & Support:

Excellent router. Very stable.

from Logan, UT

Comments about Apple Airport Extreme Base Station:

I had many routers and most of them are unstable and overheat. I stopped buying routers until I get this one. The purchase price of Apple Airport Extreme is kind of ridiculous. But this is an one-time investment. I hook up the router for one Macbook Pro, one netbook (Windows OS), iPod Touch, and an iPad with no problems. The speed is super fast and you can print wireless from any of the devices connected to the router. Since it has a USP port to connect printer or hard drive for wireless printing/storage, some people are wondering if they can use a USB hub to connect their printer and hard drive at the same time. The answer is yes. You can have your external hard drive and printers (as many as you want) connected to the USB hub at the same time. The router is very stable and reliable. I had it hooked up in the living room and all other devices in the bedroom. It never drops any one of the devices. The only complaint is that its kind of expensive. But as I mentioned before, this is an one-time investment. Once you own it, you dont have to buy other routers anymore.

Great Router!!

from Ardmore, OK

Comments about Apple Airport Extreme Base Station:

This is a great router. I've been using it for a while, but lately I have switched to using it as a wireless bridge only. It is nice that this device has Gigabit ethernet. It helps with transfers to/from my server connection. I would make sure to use the 5ghz option so there are better speeds on your wireless network in your area. The device works great and is fine for wireless, but if you are experiencing lower than expected (in my case 5mb/s transfer speedds on 802.11n/5ghz) you may want to look into running wire (only if you want high transfer rates).

I would like to warn that the above rant is for geeks/nerds only. For most users this device will work wonderfully. The range is truly great on this device. This one unit covers my entire house (>2000 square foot house) and I dont' have any dead or low signal spots.

In short, it's fast, easy to setup and also has an excellent reporting feature for when problems do arise on your network (Airport Utility)

Easy to network

from Millersburg, OH

Comments about Apple Airport Extreme Base Station:

This was the first wireless router I was able to hook up my Apple laptop, mac mini, 2 PC desktops, one with Windows 98 and other with ME and two laptops one with Windows 95 and Vista. Now I just have one printer and I am loving it. I might be high price, but speed and distance is great. Service was great with help setting up all computers. Would give 5 stars if not so pricey.